Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 338 replies

Thanks Lori.

My wife said she saw the woodpecker on the center post again the other day. I don't think the owl is doing the trick. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any holes yet.

Here's a couple grainy progress pics of my current project. I'm redoing the draught beer tower. That chrome tower wasn't fitting in with the decor, and I also wanted more selection.

I made the top box out of pine and the base is pvc that I did a faux wood technique to blend it in.

Updated photo of the lounge area with 4th sail shade and posts completed.

T

Man your place looks great!
That brown Tapa stuff may ramp up the bee thing though.

Do this for me watch the bees, spring is when they really get to digin holes.
BUT try to see if they are attracted to the brown paint in the carvings.

Yep it may look like an old bee hole and pull them in.
I am no expert but I have watched these bees for some time now
and even a nail or screw can drag them in, any dark spot that looks like a hole.

Good luck!!

On 2016-08-19 16:42, tikiskip wrote:
Man your place looks great!
That brown Tapa stuff may ramp up the bee thing though.

Do this for me watch the bees, spring is when they really get to digin holes.
BUT try to see if they are attracted to the brown paint in the carvings.

Yep it may look like an old bee hole and pull them in.
I am no expert but I have watched these bees for some time now
and even a nail or screw can drag them in, any dark spot that looks like a hole.

Good luck!!

Thanks Tikiskip. I hope I don't make it worse with the tapa on the posts. I hadn't noticed any carpenter bees on the posts before. But I agree the carpenter bees seem to key on existing holes. I think they don't like to bore into painted/finished wood. But will use existing holes in finished wood. They will bore into unfinished wood (such as the structural members in the bar's roof.

Here's an update of my draft tower project:

I have been getting corny kegs (the one's homebrewers use) filled at the local brew pub. Its nice to have a few flavors to pick from. I can also use one tap to make my own soda water for the bar.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2016-08-21 11:06 ]

A few more updates....been making some headway the past month.

I refinished the bar top and finally trimmed out the front edge. I had been contemplating the best way to trim the front edge with the curved corners. This is what I came up with:

Some updated photos of the inside. Added fronts and doors to the backbar cabinets and also paneling and trim to the sidewalls. Sink is also complete and functioning. I still have a few pieces of trim to carve and install:

H

Your place is looking real nice, keep us posted.

Thanks Hiltiki.

I took a few more night shots last night.

Arial view from upper deck.

Couple other angles:

W

Great night shots. You did a super job on the whole space. I don't think you should give up on the mural-on-the-fence idea. Yes, it will get weathered, but that will just add to the ambiance and retro tiki flavor. The amount of work here is astounding.

Awesome space and an amazing bar ...It all looks perfect !!!!

T

@W8N2Surf and @TikiRetardo thanks for your compliments.

@tikiskip thanks for the links.

BTW- The woodpecker hit me again today...put a hole through the new boards. He didn't get on the carved sides yet though. So not sure if that blows the theory that they key in on existing holes like the carpenter bees.

I added another owl this evening. It seemed like the posts closest to the owl he left alone, so we'll see if adding one on the other side keeps him away.

I think I need some tiki banners or flags or something to hang off the posts to create some motion. Any ideas are appreciated.

T

How about putting half round dowels or halved bamboo on the areas the are pecking?
You could even paint the bamboo white to match.

Interesting idea. I could probably make more PVC bamboo. That should make it less fun to peck.

I have an extra stick of uncut pvc bamboo in the garage, I'll dig it out and see how I think it will look later this week.

However, it still leaves the carved sides exposed.

I'm hopeful the owl decoy was what kept it from pecking the two posts closest to the owl.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2016-09-19 21:08 ]

The pecker has been back every day this week to wreak havoc. The owl decoys are essentially confirmed not to make a difference. I found something called irri-tape that is a holographic metallic material that I hung from the string lights around each post last night. Hopefully that will keep it at bay for now. Those metallic strips don't look very "tiki" at all. :(

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2016-09-22 06:48 ]

T

You should see what we go through living near the woods as we do.
I get a kick out of the animal lovers that think they do no harm to any animal all the while the roads houses and buildings we put up pushes all the wild life in the small woods left.

we can sit in the hot tub and hear the screams of something being eaten at night and
that may be a good way to go as being crushed by a car or starving may be the other way they die.

The raccoon's, skunks, herons, woodpeckers, mice, chipmunks, ants, termites, bees, stink bugs, groundhogs, deer, wild cats that people dump in our area, crows, attack our home, garden and pond 24/7

Not to mention the TONS of garden pests that get our things we grow, If you think for one minute that they can grow anything with out using any pesticides your wrong.
We use very little pesticides but it's hard and we lose a lot.

Good luck, it's tough to beat mother nature.

The Irri-tape seems to work. The pecker hasn't been back since hanging it. Not sure if thats the long term solution due to not looking very good, but its working for now.

I tried my hand at doing a little rope wrapping on the front roof supports. Not sure if I did it right, but it dresses them up a little. I also added more netting under the roof overhang.

T

Looks good! I burn and shellac the rope and that looks good too plus may help save it a bit.

Hey that rope wrapping could be used at the top of the poles the woodpeckers are hitting.
Would think they can't peck rope.
If you paint rope white that would help protect rope from our wonderful weather too.

Those are great ideas. I wonder how the rope would look a maroon color to match the carvings?

Finally got a lighting solution for the pool.

A random photo...

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2017-07-10 20:24 ]

Looks amazing ....and keeps getting better .

Getting the itch to open the bar...but probably another month to avoid freezing.

Plenty of projects on the docket this summer for the Ki'o Wai Lounge. Last summer was spent mostly renovating inside...so looking forward to a summer of being outdoors again.

T

Hey what did you do about the woodpeckers?

What about those updates.
We need pics.

On 2018-09-22 15:12, tikiskip wrote:
Hey what did you do about the woodpeckers?

What about those updates.
We need pics.

The woodpecker is winning I think. I have patched the holes at least 5 times with epoxy wood filler. He got me again since mid-August when I patched it up. Fortunately, he likes the side without the carvings.

The shinny mylar ribbons hung from the lights around the posts do seem to keep it away. But they don't last that long and don't fit in with the motif well either. (But I need to get up there and replace since he's back at it.)

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2018-09-24 07:59 ]

I refinished the pvc bamboo last month. The original bamboo was created 4 years ago and had really faded...although still didn't look totally horrible. The bar faces east and gets a lot of sun from morning to mid-afternoon.

It wasn't too big of a deal to refinish. I simply washed the old bamboo with soap and a brush and light rinse. Let dry and reapplied shellac. In total I probably had 4 hours into the project. I find shellac a bit finicky to apply to plastic...can be challenging to get it to look even fishing or at least irregular in a way that looks natural.

Before

After

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2018-09-24 08:11 ]

T

I did since learn that woodpecker also peck on things/wood to make a loud sound to attract a mate.

This may be the case at your house as it does not look like it is getting bugs from your wood or building a house.

Does it make a loud sound when it pecks?

You could also make a wood piece that fits right over that area and when they peck it all up just unscrew and replace with a new one.

Plus the addition of more wood may change the sound so he will go somewhere else.

Good ideas... He does make noise. I hadn't never seen him come around until this last round I happened to be home and heard him out there pecking. He was hitting it about twice a day.

This summer's big project was a pool renovation. This project added a bench and stairs (and new handrail), repaired (replaced bottom drain) and improved pool plumbing (2 new return ports), replaced the worst concrete around the pool (spalling, cracked, & un-level), refinished pool coping (sanded to bare metal and repainted grey), and replaced the liner, and added a built in underwater light. Many of these items have been on my hit list for more than 15 years.

So while this isn't a pool forum, I'll share some pics since it's part of my outdoor tiki space.

First we installed the bench and steps

Then removed some most of the cracked concrete around the pool:

Replacing drain on bottom of pool (leaked and plugged since I have owned the house):

Installed new liner:

Poured new concrete:

More pool at completion. (Well water still clearing in pool so its not as blue in this photo.)

Here are some night photos:

T

Damn that looks great!

I can't even dream the cost, ours need to be redone and I hope it goes well for the new people that buy our house someday.

We did that seventeen years ago and it was costly then.

This was one of the best pool summers ever here in Ohio, I think we had like 25 over 90 degree days and it did not rain every other day.
Plus sun, We had SUN this summer!

Keep pics commin.

T

I did want to add this from the net as well.

"Drumming
Drumming is the term given to a woodpecker's habit of hammering loudly and rapidly onto some resonating surface, such as a dying tree, stop sign, chimney, or house. Since woodpeckers do not have a song as do passerine birds, drumming may serve as a territorial signal similar to bird song and it may also serve to attract a mate. Both sexes are known to drum."

Things are finally thawing out here at the kioWai Lounge.

A friend made this cool lamp with my bar logo.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2019-06-22 20:31 ]

T

Cool sign!

Another look for the new sign from One Mad Fish small sign. The squirrels stole the original flame. ?

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2019-07-19 22:44 ]

Not sure if any one is looking at the pics, but here are a few more updates after cleaning it up for a get together last weekend:

Moved the fire pit and seating out in front of the bar. Not sure why I didn't do this sooner. The more comfortable seating closer to the bar is nice. I think I'd like an outdoor area rug under it...just need to find one that I like.

I'm hoping to get more trimmed carved soon as well as a project to revise the fencing...and potentially add a volcano feature.

"Not sure if any one is looking at the pics"

I sure am, thanks for the updates.
Your tiki space is awesome!

Maybe your not kissing and praising the right a$$e$ enough that is the only reason I could come up with for why there are few responses to your posts.

It helps to throw around a bunch of "yer a Rock star" posts every now and then.

Thanks John!

I'll keep posting for you. :)

I'm itching to do some updates on the bar. But my time and budget have gone into other things this summer so far. Namely my reef aquarium randomly cracked in April (so rebuilding that) and also have been working on a master bathroom remodel. Its crazy how much time and money go into a bathroom project for such a small space.

I'm also researching any builds that include a volcano feature...if you know of any, please pass them along. I'm figuring the structure will be treated plywood with chicken wire and concrete. I'm not sure that I want more water to maintain, but it might be cool to make a fountain out of it. Also figuring fog machine and led lighting for night time effects.

I' m enjoying the photos! Mahalo for posting them!

Gets better with every update .......beautiful space

[ Edited by: TikiRetardo 2019-07-24 22:01 ]

Thanks guys! Glad there are some peeps still lurking around here. I'm also guilty of not replying to others...I need to get better at that.

I have new found respect for Disney. How do they keep up with all the burned out light bulbs? In getting read for a small party last weekend I replaced over one dozen bulbs in the bar. It must be a full time job for an entire division of people to keep up with all the lights. (Granted LEDs tend to last longer...which most of my stuff is, but still...lots of work replacing burned out/malfunctioning lights.

What do you guys do for ice in your bar? I need a better ice solution.

I built this with a cooler last Fall. I'm not overly happy with it as an ice solution. While it works, I think I could drink more with a freezer to maintain ice.

What I need is a freezer of this same size. I thought I came up with perfect solution with putting a mini upright freezer on its back and doing something similar with a cabinet. Apparently the compressor wont run that way...considering whether the compressor could be rotated to be upright and build another shelf for it under the cabinet?

You could probably find a small Freezer Chest for less than $100. I think Arctic King makes some that are 1.5 and 3 cf.

Pool makeover and bar is looking great! I need to get some work done on our pool and I'm not looking forward to it. At this point I'm thinking it would make a cool natural lagoon and I'll just let the frogs have it. HAHA

T

"I'm thinking it would make a cool natural lagoon and I'll just let the frogs have it. HAHA"

The pool at our house was like that when we bought the house, it's was Cool with thousands of frogs.

BUT remember with frogs you get raccoons and skunks, skunks LOVE frogs.

Hey on the freezer thing can you put it on top of the bar right on the edge in the back.
that way it would get good ventilation and people who are cold might be able to warm themselves with heat it might give off in the back of the unit.

AND you get yet another place to put tiki on the top of the unit.

These freezers last longer if they are well vented.

You can then put it in the house in the winter.

On the volcano I always thought that resin colored red would be the way to go for the lava.

On 2019-07-25 05:22, littlegiles wrote:
You could probably find a small Freezer Chest for less than $100. I think Arctic King makes some that are 1.5 and 3 cf.

Pool makeover and bar is looking great! I need to get some work done on our pool and I'm not looking forward to it. At this point I'm thinking it would make a cool natural lagoon and I'll just let the frogs have it. HAHA

Here's a photo of the pool from last June. I had started the bench/steps project and got fed up with the contractor and had to make a change...which resulted in another 6 week delay. But the deep end turned into quite a frog pond. There is a link to a video I took at night..the frogs were super happy. Sadly, I didn't hear many at all this year. But at least the pool is looking better. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ghPheBVLM

A chest freezer would be perfect (with wood cladding). However all of them are taller than I'd like...I want to have it be under the front bar like the cooler I made so I can scoop ice and make drinks on the bar rail (like the pros :)).

I found this video of a guy cutting a freezer in half...but he is using it as a cooler and took out the compressor. I wonder if I could do something similar since I'm cladding in wood and just shorten the freezer to the height I want...take out 6-inches in the middle and put it back together? (Maybe I can find one used/cheap to try...hate to do it to a brand new freezer. But I don't see these small ones come up for sale very often.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnWH8cygM1Y

I also just came across deck freezers for boats that seem to come in small/shorter sizes. But are fairly pricey.

Also just came across this which is pretty much what I was thinking of doing (only using a mini freezer so the entire thing is a freezer):
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Convert-a-mini-fridge-to-a-chest-refrigerat/

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2019-07-25 07:00 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 338 replies