Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago, IL (bar)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

The Grate was a reference to "Grate"ful Dead shows which was the main reason I was in town for anyway.

The played 3 final shows at Soldier Field July 3/4/5 2015.

Keep on truckin

I think that is why ATP spoke up :wink:

Cheers SneakyJack, hope you had a great (grate) time in Chicago!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-07-12 14:45 ]

Mahalo SJ! Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to checking them out later this week!

All in good fun!
Grateful to have this resource as always!

I'll be back!

Back from my whirlwind trip through Milwaukee and the Chicagoland area. Happy to report that, as of last Saturday, Three Dots was back in stock of all of their mugs and bowls, so if you're looking for any of them to complete your collection, I suggest you act fast. They said they were already low on the Urchin and Paul McGee mugs and they had only just gotten them all in on Thursday prior. Sorry to any of you who asked me to pick you up a mug from here, as they were limiting me to one of each style mug. I'll be posting some fun pics in the near future for all 8 of the Tiki bars we went to on our trip. Stay tuned...

Aloha!

This article on clear ice cubes mentions where Three Dots gets some of their ice.

https://www.groupon.com/articles/artisanal-ice-is-a-thing-fd

that's a labor intensive process for ice...I get it...but still.

TT

Just saw those on their FB page recently. Really digging that tentacle mug and the teal coconut. Hopefully they'll put them on their online store. Don't see getting back there anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm here now - wave mug and octopus mug not available yet - I got the other three - new menus are great too !!

F

On 2016-05-03 15:26, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I'm here now - wave mug and octopus mug not available yet - I got the other three - new menus are great too !!

Tipsy, can you post a pic of the new menu? Is it the same as the big one on their website (it's like 10 pages!) I loved the "totem" one they had when I was there last year.

EDIT- I saw the pic on your FB page, but couldn't tell what the whole menu looked like now. Looks like it may be multi-page? I dig the blue skull mug. Nice location-specific mugger. :wink:
Cheers!
:drink:

[ Edited by: finky099 2016-05-04 14:59 ]

On 2016-05-04 14:56, finky099 wrote:

On 2016-05-03 15:26, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Tipsy, can you post a pic of the new menu? Is it the same as the big one on their website (it's like 10 pages!) I loved the "totem" one they had when I was there last year.

EDIT- I saw the pic on your FB page, but couldn't tell what the whole menu looked like now. Looks like it may be multi-page? I dig the blue skull mug. Nice location-specific mugger. :wink:
Cheers!

[ Edited by: finky099 2016-05-04 14:59 ]

the menu is multi page, full color eye candy. really well done.

F

Dave, snap a few drink pix when you go. I haven't seen any yet. The décor looks cool. Some of the mugs I saw on the pic of the menu on the Locating Tiki thread remind me of previous ones at Three Dots/Lost Lake.

New mugs on their website right now

My latest visit to Three Dots and a Dash was dispiriting (no pun intended). Here's my mournful report: http://chicagoist.com/2016/05/11/three_dots_and_a_dash_skips_a_beat.php

On 2016-05-10 08:23, randomcha wrote:
My latest visit to Three Dots and a Dash was dispiriting (no pun intended). Here's my mournful report: http://chicagoist.com/2016/05/11/three_dots_and_a_dash_skips_a_beat.php

I just saw that and came here to post that link. Nice work. Some real zingers in there. "So, what's morse code for 'defeat"?' Love it.

Hope Tipsy brought his fat wallet!

TT

Yikes... There are some good lessons to be learned in that review. Experiences like these, where a bar falls short of expectations, make my home bar (and the money I invest there) even more valuable to me because I know I won't be disappointed with the drinks, music, and atmosphere. And those are the three solid things which draw me to tiki bars.

I've been twice since they implemented the new menu and this is spot on.

The major issue seems to be that Lettuce Entertain You doesn't care about tiki and are only interested in making money. They are a big company. I know part of the reason Paul left was that when they came to him he was promised he could do what ever he wanted, but once they opened they started telling to cut costs, use cheaper rums, etc.

You may not have seen unless you were seated at the bar, but some of the cocktail are now batch and poured from a tap. My Mai Tai, Three Dots & a Dash, and I believe Dead Reckoning were tapped into a measuring cup, poured over ice, and garnished.

F

On 2016-05-11 19:31, TheDrunkenTiki wrote:

I've been twice since they implemented the new menu and this is spot on.

You may not have seen unless you were seated at the bar, but some of the cocktail are now batch and poured from a tap. My Mai Tai, Three Dots & a Dash, and I believe Dead Reckoning were tapped into a measuring cup, poured over ice, and garnished.

:o
Watching them get individually handmade is one of the things I love about sitting at the bar. I suppose if they were still using proper, high quality ingredients, I'd be marginally alright with pre-making the more popular drinks. But not at premium prices.

Meh !!

This last time I was in there was the first time since Paul Mcgee left for lost lake. Quite frankly, I thought the drinks were good since I hadn't had them in awhile and I didn't really notice what music was playing which means it must have been okay because I wasn't bothered by it. Sure the drinks are pricey but I would never be foolish enough to waste money on those group drinks. Two or three drinks is my limit if I'm driving so it's really not too expensive of a visit, as long as I'm not buying tiki mugs !!! Now that adds up !

I just don't go there enough to really care if it's authentic enough for the critics.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-05-12 21:06 ]

Gonna be in this area soon, anyone been there lately? Wondering if it's still worth a visit.

100% worth the visit.

If for nothing more than the wonderful ambiance and decor, the drinks are also great. Was there about a month ago.

We go from here and walk over to the Billy Goat Tavern for a "cheezborger."

Tiki Terrace also puts on a fun floor show. Food is good. Drinks are OK.

https://www.thetikiterrace.com/

Lola's Pizza Palace/Kahala Koa also does great food and drinks. I have never seen Tiki done up like this place anywhere. It drips Tiki. Great food, great drinks.

https://kahalakoa.com/

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies