Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

KeverC's Stuff

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

P

looks pretty good so far...

what kinda wood?

K
KeverC posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2012 8:56 PM

thanks Jeff. the wood is pine. i found that i can get a hold nice pine logs really easy and it carves well with my new tools. the burrs and the carbide grinding wheel eats the pine up. i feel like from this point i have to really take my time so i dont mess it up. do you guys get that feeling when you get to the point on a tiki and you like where it is at and get afraid of messing it up? or should i just go for it?

[ Edited by: KeverC 2012-11-08 21:00 ]

WC

You got a ton of wood there.
If you screw anything up now,
just grind it back & carve over.
You're in charge here.

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 8:45 AM

Nice start. Glad you like the burrs!

I always say that if you ain't F*&^king up sometimes, you ain't learnin.

Go for it!

Have fun!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

I have found that often my screw ups end up being a good thing because then I just have to go deeper...

I would take the back of the knee inwards a two or three inches and take the thigh in towards the belly where it meets the hand if that makes sense?

I always find pine a pain in the arse to carve so you're doing well!

As McTiki and pjc say, don't stress if you f**k up, it's a chance to learn...

'There are no mistakes, only a series of adjustments' (Linda Doll)

K
KeverC posted on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 4:32 PM

thanks guys. i went for it and am pretty happy i did. i got some good stuff done today. it now has 2 legs not just one really fat one. also got the rough shape of the arms cut out. i agree about the legs atomic. i wanted to leave enough wood there so i could go back in and carve it a little pot belly. i am kinda struggling with what to do with the head. i dig the way AMATE does his. i dont know i will deal with that when i get there.

As Mr.Bob Ross would say:" there are no mistakes-just little happy accidents!:-)

A
amate posted on Sat, Nov 10, 2012 7:31 AM

little happy accidents!

:lol: That's hilarious!

I certainly understand you wanting to go slow and not risk screwing up all the time and work you already have invested in that piece. As you do more carvings, you will discover that you will always find a way to modify and fix things when one of those “happy little accidents” occur. You still want to avoid them but you wont sweat them so much. For now go slow but not so slow that you are not making progress. And, I appreciate the compliment you slipped in there. Thanks…

K
KeverC posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2012 7:00 PM

i havent been doing to much carving really. i am currently working on a table made from a huge piece of oak. the stump is shaped kinda like a big hibiscus flower. it is a ton of work but it is coming right along. ill try to put some pics up. it is a xmas gift for a friend.

K

my buddy showed up with a truck full of huge pieces of wood and as we were unloading it in my backyard he said he wanted to keep this one huge piece of oak. i think it is oak. i looked at him and asked what he was gonna do with it. he was like " i dont know but i like it." so i told him " dude leave it here and i will clean it up and bring it over to you." so i figured i would make a table out of it for him and give it back to him for xmas. i know this is not a tiki but it is kinda shaped like a big flower.

it is not done but i have till the 25th.

A
amate posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 3:57 AM

Is that a dusting on Florida snow on the ground? :)

KeverC,
That is awesome!!! Please tell me you didnt do all that with just those grinders?
Its looking great!!!!!

Thanks guys. Yep the whole thing has been done with my die grinder, angle grinder, burrs and a saburr tooth grinding wheel. I know that there are faster ways of going about it but this way I can go slow and get it exactly how I want it. That is saw dust but before I cleaned most of it up the pile was huge lol. The saw dust I can get up goes into my compost and the rest of it gets washed into the ground.
Florida snow.

K

i finally finished the shaping on and rough sanding in the table. tomorrow i will go at it with some really fine sand paper and prep for poly. i am very stoked how it is coming along. this is my first try at doing a table and i think it is working out better than i hoped. i will post pics once i get some poly on it.

Chris

K

today the table got the first coats of poly. so i figured i would put up some of the pics. i am super stoked with how it looks for my first try. i wish i had not told my buddy it is his christmas gift because i dont want to give it away. lol ohhh well i will just have to find another stump and make a better one lol.

still kinda wet but i wanted to get some pics before i lost the light
thanks for looking

Chris

[ Edited by: Keverc 2012-12-19 00:11 ]

P

nice bro!

that looks really good.

I assume you did a bit of sanding on this before you sparred it...

K

yea i sanded it before and when it is dry i am gonna hit it with some 2000 grit before the next coat. thanks Jeff i am super stoked with it.

That rocks

K

i ordered this book. i am hoping it has some really good pics and info about the carvings from Rapa Nui. i saw a documentary/surf flick about a guy traveling by sail boat in the Pacific. they had some issues and broke the mast. i think that is right. anyhow they were able to get to Rapa Nui and it was beautiful. i hope to one day visit and maybe stop by to see my favorite sergeant on Guam while i am out there. i would love to check out the giant stone moais in person. have any of you come across this book before?

chris

[ Edited by: KeverC 2012-12-29 17:21 ]

T

Looks cool. Tell us how you like it when you get it. Somewhere there are a couple of threads of recommended books around here...

K

havent had a chance to do any carving in a while but I finally found the time to make some saw dust. it felt mighty good to be carving again. its good to be back.

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2014 8:01 AM

Cool design and it looks like that wood will finish up nicely-What kind is it?

K

Thanks. It is pine. I have a real nice stain that i am going to use on it.

K
KeverC posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2018 7:31 PM

Hello tiki central.
I have been gone a long time. Life has taken many turns and i once again find myself in the tiki carving mood. Not to mention in a place where t can get back to making saw dust. I just went out and got me a new chainsaw (Stihl MS251 wood boss)and a new angle grinder. Killed both my grinders a couple weeks ago.i have an endless source of wood to work on so i should be able to stay busy! Well i just wanted to say hi and tell everyone I'M BACK!

Kool
Welcome back
Can’t wait to see what ya make
Cheers

K

Trying to figure out how to post pics with my phone. Anyway a friend asked me to carve him 2 tikis in the same style as some my early stuff. Sorry the pic is sideways. Work in progress!

[ Edited by: KeverC 2018-04-10 16:24 ]

Cheers

Lookin good

Pages: 1 2 75 replies