Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Crazy Capizzi tiki carving steps

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 207 replies

A
amate posted on Mon, Aug 5, 2013 3:24 AM

On 2013-08-04 19:23, pjc5150 wrote:
that is one of your best pieces...

I agree with Jeff.
Not saying there's anything wrong with what you've been doing, I guess I just like the more traditional primitive style. It's all personal preference I suppose.
glad you posted!

WC

I agree with Amate who agrees with that 5150 guy.
WC style is ok, but, your stuff is fresh.

H

Your last piece is great. I Love how you finished the back. Very nice.

thanks guys, I am really surprised how much everyone likes this piece. With all the freed back im almost thinking about going back and really finishing it up now, but I doubt I will get the motivation to go through with it.

The rootball tiki looks great but the latest guy is really cool.

everyone likes it, why mess with it? Do another! ;]

You blend everything together nicely: the cool colors and the details. That is some great work

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 19, 2013 8:23 AM

IGROG agree with Will Carve who agree with Amate who agree with that 5150 guy. That last Tiki one of your best pieces. GROG like.

Awesome stuff. Love the paint and the styling.

Used the arbortech mini grinder for this

P

very cool bro...

when u coming back this way jeff?

P

next few weeks for sure...

Thaught you were moving over here?

On 2013-11-19 15:34, pjc5150 wrote:
next few weeks for sure...

P

I am..

eventually...

just taking longer than I hoped for...

new big boy tiki

Nice Thread Thank you! Alot you have offered with your thread, I like your style its cool. looking forward to follow your bread crumbs.

Nice Thread Thank you! Alot you have offered with your thread, I like your style its cool. looking forward to follow your bread crumbs.

I was wondering about your choice of paint, I have bought several types of paint the oils take to long to dry and then do not mix well if i use latex or acrylic, the acrylic seems that it will not last long can you please guide me.

keep up the good work mate

nicework, if the wood is really wet or molding, ill use kilz primer first. otherwise i use black spraypaint in the beginning as a base for the drybrush. i use the cheepest paint from walmart. there in the arts and craft section and cost about $.50 a bottle. then i use minwax urethane varnish over that.

they call him Kong! he will get some varnish once he is done drying out.

V

Nice carvings man! I enjoyed watching the progress.I love those fish!

varnished

That is gnarly!!! Love the eyes. Sweet original work!!

new mailbox tiki
pick out a trunk and skim it with the Arbortech turbo Plane.

draw a line down the center and the place where the mailbox will go

cut the hole for the box and start on the mouth

starting on the nose

roughing out the eyes and starting the pineapple

finishing up the eyes and adding some of that capizzi detail

N

i do not know if i already have mentioned the respect that i have for your chisel work, I notice its not as deep as i go but it has a deep look to it maybe i can adjust my carvings, I have 8 palms that i de barked with chainsaw and sander i am curious of the arbor sander you have mentioned it would be sweet to see that i dull my chain when i use the chain saw and burn out my sander if i am not care ful much respect and thank you for posting your work and skills

Thanks Laz, Ive been following your progress as well.
i didnt go as deep on this one because it was kinda a quickie for a buddy. got 2 days start to finish on this one.
the fine tip torch helps make the cuts look deeper and gives the wood an aged look. if the torch does not have a fine tip flame it will make it look like crap.

WC

That's a slick hairball/mailbox.
Nice job.

[ Edited by: CrazyCapizzi 2015-10-31 08:00 ]

H

Very nice.

:)

Love them!

These are all castings of the original

WC

Now I get it.
Molded in what?
Cast in what?

I made rubber molds and cast them with hard foam. Here is a concrete casting I did... problem is foam is expensive and can be hard to work with. Concrete is cheaper and works better but is so heavy.

Impressive. When carving the original, you have to think about everything being a relief cut - so that it will release - right? Did you accomplish this with your first go-around - or did you have to modify the original design?

First time. Got the 3 molds now. The full tiki is a pain and cost me about $20 in foam. It's a real pain. hardest part is painting to look real. Takes probably close to an hour to paint one. It cost me about $1000 in material to make the molds. It's really not worth it to make a full tiki. But, you live, you learn.

WC

That,s real cool.
But, it's no quick short cut.
Been there.
At least the concrete will last outside a while.

I'm getting ready for an art show!

Look closely,do you see a wave, Or a monster?

T

it's a monster wave! very nice.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 207 replies