Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

Tikiano- looks great so far, cool step by step...

Jon

C
cy posted on Mon, Dec 17, 2012 7:59 PM

MadDog a fantastic mug that went smoothly from sketch to finished art! TikiAno "The Eye of the Narwhal" is informative as well as creative, and like Hang10 and Lori I like turtles. I screen printed the petroglyphs on pieces of t shirt fabric that were spray glued to mason board and attached them to some old barn wood for frames. This is a downsized version of my first attempt but still comes in at about 32 inches tall. I'll just worry about that when it comes time to mail it. Sharpening the ends of the spears on top and adding a couple of carved fish will finish the job.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-12-17 20:55 ]

Things are popping up fast here!
TikiAno, that extruder and the texture mat are cool tools. I like where your mug is going, very nice.
Cy, that looks great - yours look like your sketch too :)

Go CY Go
Looks kool

T

Thanks, Hang10!

Everyone is making such cool art. Dan and I've been recovering and are ready to work a little bit. Last night I started on this project.

I'm still having problems with the photos switching back even though I've locked them. Last night I glazed the mug.

Today it went into the kiln.

Next I found some sticks to go with it, hummmmmm.

Cheers, Wendy

Wendy??? sea anemone or maybe a sea urchin????

Chopsticks for sushi? :D

Done with "THE HONU"

The Honu is so cool hang10tiki. You've set the bar high so I'll just limbo under it!
I've done the chop sticks part today I'll have photos soon. Wendy

Beautiful work Jon! Do you think people would suspect things weren't on the up-and-up if I ended up with your piece again? :wink:

Very nice Hang.

(And everyone else :wink: )

Wendy- I set the bar high? I set it??? This coming from the lil lady with the Gold Medal in making TIKI.......
Mike- I don't think anyone would suspect a thing, plus it would be a total surprise to everyone. Wait, did I type that?
Badd Tiki- thank you, glad u like.

Can't wait to see more pics of everyone's Sea Creatures...

I broke out a hobby burner and went to town. Getting closer - now comes stain and paint.

Aloha Station yours is super interesting. I look forward to the next step.

Progress Report on my project which is called Deep Sea Fishing.

This is the deep blue sea.

I used Super Sculpey to form deep sea fishing poles.

To firm them up they were baked.

Now they have been painted.

More steps to go, this is fun, Wendy

C
cy posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:19 PM

I keep seeing the projects coming along and say to myself, " oh, I want that one, no I want that one, no..." Great work Hang10, Aloha nice turning, you do it all, and Wendy can't wait to see how that will all come together.

Tom & Wendy, both very interesting ~ can't wait to see how they turn out

Checking out all the new stuff while enjoying
El Dorado 12 year rum on ice...

Aloha and Wendy- lookin good, cool stuff
Cy- Thanx, your turn
Mike- how's the secret 2nd project?

Jon

Jon, the "secret" project is waiting for a glaze shipment and glaze testing. Should be done by the middle of next week :)

T

Hang10, beautiful piece. Aloha Station, looks very cool and unique. Wendy, even though my "fish fry" prediction was incorrect, can't wait to see the next step. :)

MDM, can't wait to see what you're planning over there. I definitely agree with Cy, everyone's stuff looks great- and such variety! I'm going to work a little bit more tomorrow hoping it's firmed up enough so I can carve in a bit and add some more details. After that I'm going to have to play a "waiting game," since the kiln I use will be "off" for the holidays.... :(

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2012-12-21 08:53 ]

Thank you for all your comments above.

I've had help from Hale Tiki. He mentioned that I should use the Fisherman Tiki on the mug so I did.
I got out my glossy paints and I printed a bunch of photos from Google images.

First I cleaned the ceramic with alcohol to help the paint stick.

More fish.

This is not done but I have a good start.

Happy Holidays, Wendy

BT

Wow Wendy, very cool.

The glaze and the paint give it a very 'cel' look (think disney cartoons on painterly backgrounds).

Makes it almost 3d with the sharp paint contrasting the blurry glaze background.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-12-21 21:26 ]

Wendy wowwie wow wow that is way cool

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-12-21 22:28 ]

Wendy- lookin way cool

Everything looks so awesome!

I have NOT forgotten... just kind of busy working on a couple other projects first. What is the due date again?

:)

Looks great there in the Sea Horse Bathroom Wendy :D I haven't quite figured out where the fishing poles are going to go?

Mel, good to hear from you. Deadline is Jan 31st.

MadDogMike, do I have to tell you that fishing poles are held by the hands? Wendy
Thank you all. Your comments inspire me to work harder.

Wendy,

I just love the blue glaze on your swap piece and your sea creatures are painted so well. Your many talents amaze me, as always!

Mele kalikiama to all!

Lori

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:36 PM

A bit of carved fish progress, now to put it all together.

Oh Yeah! How tall is it now Cy?

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:43 PM

A mere 32 inches tall MadDog, hoping for the luck of the draw.

T

Cy, looks great! Wendy, beautiful, can't believe those images are hand-painted! Wowzers.

Went back and trimmed an inch or so off the top of the mug, then did some more detail work. Added some (slightly) more traditional tiki features on the face of the Narwhals, then etched lines into the mighty horns of the Narwhals. Removed and then re-carved the "Art Swap" title onto the bamboo sign. While I know MDM mentioned using 2013 as the date, I wrote 2012, but will add "-2013," since we started, at least, this year. Any thoughts? I also added wood texture marks along the mug.

Now time for it to dry a bit, bisque fire it and pick out some glazes for the exterior. Unfortunately the studio is closed until after New Year's....

Mr Frog Island Cy- sweet...I have just the spot for that in my bar...
Ano- lookin good, I have just the spot for that in my bar...

Did u get that Mike, I want it all... LOL

I don't have a bar but I still want them all...for Dan cause he's my sweetheart.

Another step done for my swap mug. I just finished so I'll have final photos tomorrow. I cut out a bunch of fish photos.

Happy Holidays, Wendy

Mike- I want Wendy's too
And yours

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=38423&forum=18&start=2460

I've put the photos of my completed "pieces" on my other crafts thread. The link is above. Now I get to sit back and watch the fun for the rest of the month. MadDogMike you have a great show going on here, Wendy

Wendy- now that's just AWESOME.........

Very cool mug Wendy ~ now I know where the fishing poles go! :D Beautiful colors on the fishes.

I finally got a "glamor shot" of my mug. I wanted to add something sparkly for a fuse. It will still come with some cannon fuse that the owner can actually light in an appropriate place and time. Like in your own home bar ~ "BYO Tiki Mug Night" at Don the Beachcomber's is probably not the right place or time :lol: (seems like that could get you arrested for terrorism these days and sent off to Guantanmo Bay :( )

Yep, I want that too...

Yay for Wendy as the newest posting of a finished swap piece. It looks fantastic!
Everything on this thread looks so great!
I really am working on mine, but it's all sketches & measurements at this point
so nothing interesting to show yet... but soon, I hope to.
~kele

Wow MDM I can see the sparks that the puffer is trying to blow out. Very cool, no hot. A beautiful work of tiki art. Wendy

T

MDM, amazing. I promise not to blow it up if/when I receive your mug in the swap. Just sayin'. :) Wendy, I won't take yours fishing, either. Just sayin' (again). I can go on with each piece- they're all pretty darn swell.

BT

Awesome MDM, over the top. Explosive even .

DONE DONE DONE WITH THE SWAP MUG!

Here's the Christmas Swap story.

Once upon a time a tiki collector practiced with his/her tiny Deep Sea Fishing poles to catch some South Seas Fish.

When he got really good he went to the ocean to find a good fishing spot.
He found one full of fish. So he lowered his line.

Over and over he cast his line until finally he caught something.

He gently pulled it out.

By the end of the day he had caught a Honu, Bumatay and a puffer. All his practice paid off.

Every goofy thing in this story will be sent to my swap person.

Merry Christmas Everyone, Wendy and Dan

Wendy- you knocked it out of the park with that one...

Thanks peeps :)
Beautiful Wendy! Great story too :D

I needs some coral colored glaze for my "secret" project and couldn't find a color I liked. So I got pink and orange and mixed them 1:2, 1:1, & 2:1 for some text tiles. Can you tell which is which?

Yeah, me neither :lol: The orange overpowers the pink, I guess I'll try again at 5:1 and 10:1 to see what I get.

Yeah, Mike, they all look mostly the same to me too.
Back to the laboratory...
~kele

I love waffle cookies, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies