Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

BT

I thought we were shooting for the END of Feb due to the holidays.

i am just getting back into the art studio this week and it would almost be impossible to have a piece finished in a few weeks.

T

Thanks, guys. Hoping the kiln gets fired sooner than later. All this waiting makes me want to get my own kiln even more.... Look forward to seeing others' pieces too. Great stuff all around- and Mike, I agree with Wendy, thanks for getting us all together for the Swap.

Badd tiki- 5 hour energy, chocolate covered expresso beans, Starbucks doubleshot, rockstar grape recovery drink... You can do it....

Jon

BT

Well, it has more to do with WHEN it goes in the Kiln in a busy class/studio, whether or not it comes out in one piece and has to be redone...

I just thought everyone agreed that the Holidays were a good reason not to rush this one.

Was looking forward to it, guess I gotta skip it.

Why dis it have to be such a rush?

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2013-01-13 14:51 ]

It looks like we are going to have a smaller turnout for this Swap that we have in previous summer Swaps (I expected that). What do you think of extending the deadline another month? Would it help bring in a few of you out there who are on the fence?

Nautilus pompilius and Chromodoris annae have barely survived their first firing; my Kiln Sitter malfunctioned and did not turn the kiln off at the proper temperature. They overfired but seem undamaged by the experience. Fortunately it was the bisque firing, overfiring the glaze firing washes out the colors and ruins the piece :(

Here they are with underglaze on them before going into the kiln again (it just now turned off at proper temp this time).

Next will be a clear glaze firing, then a cone 018 luster firing.

T

Some great stuff here for sure Mike.
I knew I could not get in on this one
this time due to holidays ECT...
But that mug you made is awesome!
Great work all!

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸TIKISKIP,Lights,ECT¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

DISASTER STRUCK!!!

Against my better judgement, I burnished my nautilus shell a little to make it smooth. Looks like I burnished it a little too much because the underglaze flaked off!

I'll take some sandpaper to it, see if I can rough it up and give it a little "tooth". Maybe I can water the underglaze down a little so it soaks into the ceramic a little better too.

Hay Skip- so if the deadline is extended, you can jump in right??? :)

Mike- not sure what all that CLAY fancy talk means but it looks cool..hope it's ok.

Jon

I wish I could.
But Got a big project I'm working on at this time.
These swaps are fun though.
Keep em going.
I will have more time mid summer.

-:¦:-•:'"":•.-:¦:-•:TIKISKIP:•-:MAKES:-•:TIKI*:•-:LIGHTS:-•:'"":•.-:¦:-*

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

:(

Maybe next time...

Jon

I got several responses from people who thought they might be able to participate if we extend the deadline. And no one seemed to be against it so we will officially extend the deadline to February 28th, 2013

Awesome Possum. I can definitely get something done by then.

Sweet
Go Badd Go

T

Look forward to seeing more pieces a-coming! Hopefully a whole lot more people will join in.

The more, the merrier! More tiki art-liciousness for everyone!
~kele

Alrighty then...

Got the base of my piece done and now to let it set for a few days to dry slowly. Will probably be bisqued next week. Then on to glazing...

T

The "Narwhals of the (North) South Pacific" finally came out of the kiln. The interior came out exactly as I had hoped- hard to make it out from the photo, but I used a combination of glazes for a "breaching" look in the watery interior of the mug. There's a narwhal's horn coming up at you- don't worry, it won't poke you.

The light shino glaze didn't come out quite as mottled as I had hoped- I'm thinking about adding another coat of glaze (another color) and re-firing, especially w/ more time before the swap ends- would love any feedback for your opinion. The narwhals' bodies are a silver grey.

Slightly frustrated with the glaze, I pulled a MDM and started working on another piece that I had already sketched out. I hand rolled a slab, then used a tile cutter to cut out a small square...

Then hand built a small cylinder....

Then used slip to attach it to the tile, then rolled an even thinner slab to give the cylinder a "roof."

I then formed the requisite brow, half of a nose, and two half ears and attached it to the cylinder. Top view:

Here's a side (front?) view- can you see where I'm going with this one yet?

I then added a big ol' shark fin, using extra clay to hold it upright as it cures.

This will (potentially) be "Underwater Delight" for the Art Swap. I plan on using a similar glaze combination (from the interior of the Narwhal mug) to create the splashes of color for the Moai (sinking) and the shark (breaching). I'll add two separate indentations on the back for different hanging options. Would love any feedback... sorry for the longer than usual post....

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 17, 2013 3:24 PM

Way to stay after it BT, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. TikiAno both pieces are cool!

On 2013-01-17 14:58, TikiAno wrote:
sorry for the longer than usual post....

TikiAno~
No reason to apologize for the length of your post, I found it most interesting & enlightening.
~kele

Tikiano- sweet x 2

Glad things are on track for you Badd Tiki, waiting to see what you've got going.

TikiAno, the inside of that mug is awesome, love the colors and the variation at the very bottom. The outside is very shiny but you are right about not having much color. The sinking Moai is very cool!

I sanded the failed underglaze off the nautilus, roughing it up a bit in the process. I also poured some vinegar on it hoping to acid etch it a bit. I painted the underglaze back on and fired it, it seems to have stuck this time. Now some clear glaze and back into the kiln tomorrow. Hopefully it's not so smooth the clear glaze doesn't stick.

BT

maybe I'll take my camera to the studio tomorrow :wink:

TikiAno,

the mug is great. I've only re-glazed one piece (inside of a bowl so it was easy). My instructor had me heat it up in the oven to 250*, guess it helped the water evaporate faster since it can't soak in the clay. With the outside of a cup it might be hard to get it to stick.

I guess the bonus is you can easily wipe it off if it doesn't seem to be working. Guess you are also firing your own piece so you can do it and stick it right in the kiln without worry about it in the mean time.

More shino would make the narwhal stick out better and he's (she?) a cute little guy so I say go for it. Either way it's a nice mug :D

T

Thanks, all. Thanks for the advice, Badd! I've read that heating it up first in an oven prior to glazing might help, or by adding gum tragacanth (?) to the glaze or before applying the glaze. Since we have time, I will do a test tile first w/ this application, then see what happens to it. If it's a no-go (& since I don't have my own kiln) I might bake it at home, then glaze it like you suggested. Look forward to seeing what you're working on.

T
Tabu posted on Fri, Jan 18, 2013 4:45 PM

Ok, here is what I've been working on. The white space inside the tribal inspired design will be filled in with an underwater scene. I'm a little frightened by the calender at this point seeing as I am also in the midst of a basement reno. I am trying to scale back on the detail a bit to help meet the deadline. There might be an allnighter at the end of the month. If I get that far. Yikes.
Looking at everyone's great project idea's is giving me a push.

Mike- I'm sure it will turn out great

Tabu- lookin awesome Ps- (the deadline was extended)...

Jon

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-01-18 17:37 ]

T

Tabu, looks awesome!

Tabu, I see a tropical scene overlaid with a reef scene within a tribal shape. I can only describe it one way - BITCHIN'!

Hmmmm, something odd afoot. The overglaze flaked off the nautilus shell again, I thought it might. Even after my sanding and acid etching, it was still too smooth. BUT, the yellow underglaze is flaking off the sea slug too and I don't know why :(

Good thing we extended the deadline, looks like I'll be starting all over again on this project :D

Tabu that's such a wonderful painting.
MadDogMike we use a wire brush when that happens and then give up on the under glazes and use a real glaze. Scrubbing with a scratchy pad after the sanding helps too. Once you have a base coat you can use an enamel paint for the other color. Good Luck.

Wendy

Mike- looks way cool

Deadline extended, so anyone who was on the fence, jump in...
:)

Jon

Z

Falling off of fence
Alright, alright! Stop poking me with that urchin spine! I'm IN!

:D

~Zero

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 8:30 AM

Attaboyzero!

Go Zero Go
:)

Yah Zero!!!!!

T

I'm definitely a fan of the low peer pressure levels here. :) Zero, glad you're in!

BT

To prove the extended deadline wasn't for naught...

It's called "Merry Time", it's have a clock face in it and it's got two good holes in the back to hang on nails. Somewhere around 10-12 inches around.

The grey is a dark blue slip. So it'll be gloss white and dark blue. A bit afraid to put color on the octo as a good pink is really hard to get high fire. We've got some nice light blue/purples but not sure if i wanna go there.

Hasn't been bisqued yet so I have time to decide.

Very cool, I like it. You even used the right version of "naught", I'm impressed :D

I'm a believer that extending has become a good thing. More the Merrier. Wendy

Badd
That's
Way Badd-ass

Z

Welp, I had better get my tailfeathers a shakin', and start my painting!
12 X 12 stretched canvas and acrylic

STAGE ONE:

Take aborted attempt at psychedelia, and put it to rest.

STAGE TWO:

Add ocean tones. Hmmm..... ocean all the way down, of some sea bed? Decisions, decisions....

More later,
~Zero

T

Badd, love it. I agree w/ Mike, & glad it wasn't for naught, though it is slightly .... nautical.

Zero, look forward to seeing where this is going.

C
cy posted on Sat, Jan 26, 2013 4:28 PM

Merry Time is a beautiful piece Badd Tiki. The layers really boost interest and dimension! Zero the added sea bed gets my vote.

Zero, it's on it's way to awesomeness...

STAGE 3:
Coral begins to grow on the seabed (there ya go, cy!)
More later
~Zero

T

So, I was talking with the Tribe, trying to decide what to create.

Sea creatures: Octopus? Love 'em, but no... Manta ray? They're awesome, but no...

Then it came to me: Monica and I were in Maui before Christmas and enjoyed one of the many things we love to do in the islands: whale watching

So, I did a little sketching and...

T

I had a split-bamboo mat that I thought would be a great place to start for this project...

T

Next, to build up a background with a selection of ocean-inspired acrylics....

...followed by a basic sketch...

...more to come.

Peace,
Jason <

[ Edited by: TikiDaye 2013-01-27 14:39 ]

Ray & Jason, so glad to see both of you involved in this Swap. Both works are looking great, hope to see more of those real soon.

Anyone else out there on the fence? I count about 31 days left :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies