Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

He does look a bit worried :o Great painting Zero, glad you were able to join in.

2 MORE WEEKS ~ TIME TO GET BUSY IF YOU AREN'T DONE YET!

T

Thanks MDM- I'm glad the refiring worked- the brighter colors work a whole lot better. Hang1, & cy, thanks!
Lori, I look forward to seeing the result- I was just in the same place w/ refiring.... fingers crossed 4 you.

Zero, the painting looks great!

The project is out of the kiln and is looking better. Not perfect, but better. Here's what it looks like:

and with the flash:

Overall, I'm pleased with it but my perfectionist tendencies are showing, I don't like how some of the background green right around the turtle isn't consistant. I think it will get at least one more coat of something before I consider it "done." Thank goodness the deadline will come, otherwise I suspect I'd keep fiddling with it FOREVER!

Oh, hit submit too soon.

Thanks everyone for the "good luck" vibes, well wishes and encouragement.

Zero, I love it! I'd be THRILLED to receive your painting in the swap! (Along with MANY others, can I have one of each?)

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!

Lori- the green came out great

Jon

T

Lori - I think it looks great... whatever you did on this last firing really made the turtle pop from the background. Well done

Peace,
Jason <

C
cy posted on Thu, Feb 14, 2013 8:19 AM

Very nice Lori, the color is awesome!

Zero Tiki your painting would look good with MadDogMikes Puffer mug right in front of it, both have blowing puffers that are cute.

LoriLovesTikis you fixed it and it very pretty. Maybe hang10tiki will get it for his honu lounge home bar.

My favorite part is seeing who gets what. This sure is fun, Wendy

Great Lori, you got your gloss finish back too :)

:)
Thanks everyone!

Everything is looking great!

I just got my ceramics back from their bisque fire. I'll get them glazed Sunday and take them back for glaze firing this next week. Coming down to the wire...

Z

Does your piece come with a complimentary Hibiscus Hula?

Oh my, oh my, oh my!
My poor little head may explode from all the gorgeous art that is being produced.

I'm working away, I should probably stop & take a few pics, but I keep forgetting to.

~kele

T
Tabu posted on Sat, Feb 16, 2013 4:33 PM

Fish heads, fish heads. Roly poly fish heads. Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum.

Mike- creepy but cool

where are the MDM eyes?

BT

Yikes!!! :D

Well, I got my piece out of the kiln. Unfortunately it had some stress cracks and the stain I put on the octo didn't come out as well as I wanted (didn't want too much color but didn't want him to be so white.
The cracks are a bit ugly but mostly on the back, and they don't effect the inegrity of the piece (at least strength wise).

I leave it up to you guys. If the cracks deem the piece untradeable I will drop out of the swap. If they don't bother anyone I will remain.

(Still need to buy and install the clock mech)

T

Badd, it looks good to me. MDM, look forward to seeing where you're going w/ the fish head- is it mounted on wood? (not clay, I assume)- unless it's a bat and you're going to work w/ the head on a potters' wheel. :)

Lori, looks very cool!

Mike, do we do a final post up of finished work before they get shipped out? Happy Sunday, all!

Badd,
It looks good to me, too.
~kele

[ Edited by: WaikikianMoeKele 2013-02-17 17:36 ]

Badd- keeper

Jon

Badd, until I saw the back I was thinking "what cracks?"

So it doesn't bother me!

Badd, looks good to me. You could fill it with Magic Mender and fire again, you could fill the cracks with epoxy if you were worried about the strength. Or, since it's on the back you could just leave it. The white octo is cool, maybe he's related to Moby Dick?

Jon, eyeballs are coming
TikiAno, yes it is a basswood plaque. I will know who is involved in the Swap because they will have posted a photo of their finished project by 2/28. I need to go thru this whole thread this week to see who has finished projects and who is working in that direction :)

BT

Alright, I'll leave it in. there is one noticeable crack at the bottom front through the tentacle.

Not really worried about strength, the front and back pieces are connected. it's stone now, guess a lot of rocks have cracks in em anyway right?

Epoxy would just make it uglier imo, and it definitely wouldn't be fired again in time for the deadline anyway.

Here's what I have been able to find so far;

AnthonyMaye - "Humuhumunukunukapua'a's Last Night Out" painting
Hang10Tiki - "The Honu" carving
Pikey'sDog - "Sea Creatures of the South Pacific" lamp
Aloha Station - Sea Anenome carving
Cy - "Fishsticks" wall hanging
LoriLovesTikis - Honu platter
TikiAno - Narwhal mug and sinking Moai
MadDogMike - Sea Serpent and Powder Keg mugs
DanLovesTikis - "Deep Sea Fishing" mug
WaikikianMoeKele - wall hanging
Tabu - painting
BaddTiki - "Merry Time" ceramic clock
ZeroTiki - drowning tiki painting
TikiDaye - "Paikea" whale painting
HaleTiki - digital wood block print
Melekalikimaka - Anglerfish painting
Trader Tom - Tangaroa, Mermaid & Seahorse mugs

I count 17 participants right now and still plenty of time for more people to get involved.
If you are working on something and have not posted or finished, no prob. Just be sure to get a finished picture posted by 2/28
If you posted a pic of your project and I didn't include you in the list, PM me.
If I got the title of your piece wrong or didn't put one, you can PM me that too.
10 DAYS LEFT!

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-02-19 11:01 ]

T
Tabu posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 6:37 PM

Still plodding along on this painting. I made some progress this weekend though. Actually some since the pics were taken. Doing the border on the tribal design will be the killer. It's a lot of fun painting the fish and adding the details.

Busy week ahead but I will try find the time to tighten this sucker up before the deadline.

T

Tabu, looks great! Once again, I have to say how impressed I am with all of the creativity and talent shown in creating pieces for this Swap- as well as all of the support everyone gives each other; It definitely makes the TC community a great family to be a part of. Good times.

On 2013-02-15 15:16, ZeroTiki wrote:
Does your piece come with a complimentary Hibiscus Hula?

Visit me here in Portland and I'll make it happen. Although I think Amy and Jeremy still have it on the Tonga Hut menu, so you could have Marie make a good one for you also (probably not complimentary, though) if you go down to LA.

All the art on this thread is looking better and better!

Tomorrow I take my pieces in for the glaze fire line-up.

Each of them is glazed in a "winter blue" that is rubbed away in places and then glazed in a super shiny clear coat. The Tangaroa head and the upper portion of the Mermaid are glazed in a "Mahogany" that I wiped away and have decided to leave matte. The Mermaid's tail and the Seahorse are glazed in a greenish blue which I've played around with before, also left matte. I used some of the Mahogany to outline the seahorse a bit with his stripes and eyes, but it may burn off in the firing as I've never layered it over the blue/green before. We'll see. Interior is clear coated on each one.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Looks great Trader Tom! Fingers crossed that everything comes out of the kiln exactly as you hope it will.

Good luck, can't wait to see the new pictures.

Tabu- wayyyyy coool
Trader Tom- looks good so far, good luck on final stages

Jon

BT

Awesome sauce tabu and tom!

HT

I'm not sold on my wood block print. I'm working on something else. I'll post final images of both before the end date.

T

Tabu & Trader Tom, looking great! Unfortunately, still waiting for the group kiln to fire the glazed "Sinking Moai" piece. Still. Waiting.

MDM that is sooooo creepy. Wendh

On 2013-02-21 20:10, MadDogMike wrote:

Silly Mad Dog--this is supposed to be under Tiki Drinks and Food. It looks dee-lee-cious.

"Carpaccio of Tiggerfish Head with Shellac Glaze", pairs well with the citrus acidity of Mike's Hard Lemonade :D

My fishhead was a beach find. It was picked by someone else and given to me as a challenge to make something artistic out of it. He needed some repairs, made here with air-dry clay which will be mostly covered in the final product.

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-02-22 06:36 ]

Make him some crazy eyeballs Mike. Wendy

The honu platter came out of the kiln today and looks pretty good. I didn't get a chance to snap a pick. I touched up some of the background and it looks better. It's not solid but more consistant and I'm pleased with that. The turtle however, isn't as shiny as it was (???) so I'm going to give it a couple of coats of clear on Monday and get it back into the kiln next week for the last time and then it's getting photographed, wrapped in bubble wrap and boxed up. I swear!

I kinda wish I was keeping it!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inspiration struck. I don't want to reveal anything until it's done, but I scrapped the print, and am 95% done with a....CREATURES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC WEAPON!

I'm really excited, and will post pictures as soon as it's done!

EDIT: I have no patience, here's a preview of the handle, pre-stain.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-02-25 13:47 ]

T

Hale, that looks great!

Okay, we're getting down to the wire. I went to the studio today, knowing that the kiln was fired. I get there, see a few of my other pieces fired.... but not the 2nd swap piece. Somehow it never got loaded into the kiln (it's been sitting there waiting for weeks now). Hopefully it will get fired in the next 48 hours, which is truly down to the fire. (Another push for the powers trying to get my own kiln). Posting pics of some of my other stuff in another thread.

Wow nice designs. This is going to be the best swap yet. Wendy

Sweet Hale! And Tikiano, I feel your pain. I walked into the art room and the kiln was on. I didn't know the teacher was firing today, otherwise I would have put a couple of clear coats on the turtle on Friday. So I checked to make sure he's going to fire again before the end of the week and started glazing. I'll be down to the wire too!

T

Hale! Looking awesome!

Just a few days left... Wonder of we will see any other last-minute entries?

Done!

I'm pretty happy with them. They turned out just as I'd hoped.

Here's close-ups:

I like how the backs look, too. Here's the back of the mermaid mug:

Anyway, I can stop sweating the deadline, now.

T
Tabu posted on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 7:08 PM

Sticking a fork in it. Calling it done. I might add some little bits just prior to packing it up though. Can't leave well enough alone. Sorry for the crappy picture. I hope to take a better one before it goes to it's new home. Where will it go? At this point I don't know. Exciting. After a 4 hour paint freak out I'm enjoying a wind down rum. Eldorado 12yr. Mmmmm. Then bed.

Getting down to the wire and such cool art coming in. Hale, I have a handful of Polynesian weapons on my Lanai. Can't wait to see what you have come up with. Trader Tom, I have to agree with you ~ those glazes turned out cool. Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Tabu, I just love that painting. In about 4 or 5 days you will know who it goes to :D

ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL!
We agreed at the beginning of this Swap that it would be a secret swap, that you would not know what you were getting until it showed up on your doorstep. If you are participating in the Swap (will have your piece finished by 2/28), please PM me your mailing address. After the draw, I will forward your address to the person shipping to you and will send you the name and address of the person you will be shipping to. I plan to do the draw sometime on Friday 3/1 and start sending out address shortly after. I have my 3 year old grandson overnight Friday and Saturday and most of the day Sunday, that may slow me down just a LITTLE :D Also, if I don't get addresses from you that will delay me.

Mike

BT

Really hate to say this, especially after i pushed for an extension and all the great pieces but ...

:(

I'm gonna have to drop out. Looks like i'm getting laid off at the end of the week. I can't afford to pay attention so $30 to outfit the clock and ship it is just too much :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies