Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Badd Tiki's Tiki Ceramics

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

Awesome

Jon

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 1, 2013 12:25 PM

GROG' birthday in September....

I love the way you carved that out BT, turned out very nice.

BT

thnx guys.

must by Grog grog in Sept :)

BT

Just put up my Tiki Tumblers on ebay, link to my market place thread
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45920&forum=12&start=last&0

I had an s crack in the 4th after bisque, went ahead and tried to fix/glazed anyway, but it developed a decent crack in high fire... so it's a pencil holder. :(

These took several hours each to carve and about 45 min. each to glaze with a paint brush.

I love your work, sorry so much trouble with cracking...

BT

Thanks Tipsy,

Tikizilla came out of the kiln today and - NO CRACKS!!! :D
Really concentrating on compressing bases now. Will probably have pics up tomorrow.

Awesome.......

Jon

BT

Alright, got some new wips to show.

little Ki is about the same as the last king ku tumbler i did, but i tried to embelish it with a little more detail. 5 inches tall by 4 around approx. Set of 4. glazed and stained and waiting for fire. I think this set is spoken for.

Big Ku is about 8 inches tall and 5 inches around. For the tiki drinky that doesn't want to refill more than once or twice. Better hold on with two hands.
he's still drying but will eventually go up on Ebay. I'll glaze and stain like the rest.

Every one is special. Great styles, Wendy

BT

Movin' right along...

Set of 4 Tiki Tumblers... (one as seen above)

The big guy above is glazed and ready for fire and I have another one drying for bisque, it's a very special edition but i can't say more right now :D

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2013-09-21 15:14 ]

BT

Well double posting this one for obvious reasons...

Awhile back I asked Brad 'Awesome Sauce Tiki Shark the Man the Myth the Legend' Parker if he minded me using some of his designs on a mug. He was cool as ever and totally down with me rippin' his work :D

Took me awhile to actually get to it due to other things in progress... But I did and too impatient to wait and show off the finished piece. it's bisqued but needs glaze and high fire.

Standing at about 7 inches tall I give you the... well, first the origin...

TWIN TIKI MUG:

S

Great work.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Is it biased if I say "Jeepers Creepers! That Twin Tiki Mug is the BEST Tiki-Mug You've Ever Made!".... Cause well, it sure is BEE-you-TEE-FULL!

Really Amazing work! Who ever buys it, he or she needs to have a print to go with it... that is IF it it being sold.
If someone buys it, and son't have the print, let me know... You need the 2-D and 3-D thing going to really get the wonderful magical effect of Tiki-Mugs based on Art work... It's one of my FAVORITE things now! After I saw a Digga-Digga-Doo, Art print and the Diga-Doga-Doo & Little Dig Tiki-Mugs displayed together...well... that was the best darned thing I'd ever seen!

Looks great! Thrown and then carved? Sometimes I do the reverse - carve and then throw (away) :lol: I like that it is "inspired by" rather than "copied from" Brad's work.

BT

:D

I gotta admit, I have thrown carved and thrown a few peices myself :wink:

Well, Big Ku Kup is now all wrapped up, and ready to be wrapped up and shipped...if I get around to E-Bay but NOT today...

He comes in at a whopping 7 inches tall and 4 inches around, I'm no mathemtician or mixologist (or obviously spellologist with all these red underlines) but I think the volume comes out to one hell of a good time (I think that's standard but it might also be metric). I can make a fist and put it into the mug and not see my wrist so....

These aren't new but I have a good pic of them now. This set belong to El Jefe .. thanks man!

This one is new to you: The Happy Tiki

And finally some pics of the final glazed product:

Twin Tiki Mug, tiki designs by Brad 'Tiki Shark' Parker (Will be up on Ebay soon, Brad has offered buyer a discount on Twin Tiki Prints, I will put part of the proceeds into the Scholarship program at the Art Center I work at to help someone else take classes):

BT

Just posted a couple of my mugs on ebay, market listing here
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46289&forum=12&start=last&0

Love your mugs!!!! I like the contrast in the glazes!

BT

It's been forever...

Back in the studio so I'll post a couple works in progress...
This time it's Lava Bowls.
These are about 8 inches around (probably 7 after fire). I threw them as double wall bowls then added a disc of clay to fill in the volcano. Planning on doing some carving for waves, then probably add on palm trees and lava. Maybe a tiki or two.

EJ

On 2013-10-17 12:41, Badd Tiki wrote:
These aren't new but I have a good pic of them now. This set belong to El Jefe .. thanks man!

This one is new to you: The Happy Tiki

And finally some pics of the final glazed product:

Twin Tiki Mug, tiki designs by Brad 'Tiki Shark' Parker (Will be up on Ebay soon, Brad has offered buyer a discount on Twin Tiki Prints, I will put part of the proceeds into the Scholarship program at the Art Center I work at to help someone else take classes):

Somehow I missed this post originally but the set is very nice. Awesome. I get comments on it regularly. Put me down for a bowl.

BT

Ok El Jefe :)

You got first dibs.

Did a little more today, trimmed th foot of the larger one (it will be 4 straw), textured the volcano and added lava flows.

The other bowl will be 2 straws, Not quite as tall walls so the volume is quite a bit less.

Got some good ideas for the rest of the bowl but I won't spoil it until I have some good shots.

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 29, 2014 3:49 PM

GROG still think you need to change your screen name from Badd Tiki to Baddassed Tikis.

T

Look forward to seeing the new bowl- love all your past work!

And yes, I agree w/ Grog on the name change.....

BT

I would Grog but all those double letters start running together after a couple Mai Tais :D

Update on the larger lava bowl, needs a little clean up but basically done. There are tentacles carved into the bottom too but hard to see at that angle.

Wow
That's badd ars

T

Ditto Jon: Wow.....

Look forward to see how you're going to glaze it. Great details and concept!

S

That bowl looks fantastic.

BT

The bowl has been bisqued. Been avoiding glazing but we'll probably have a firing next week so I gotta get on it. The other one is still underwraps and hopefully not too dry.

But i did squeeze in another mug. I think it'll be about 6.5-7 inches (20 oz?) after firing.
I call it 'Grin Twins'. Same face both sides with a little tapa in between.

BT

Well, the mug is done, need to get picks>ebay.

Also, the bowls: The first bowl is being fired tomorrow (well, later today...), it was a pain to glaze and I hope it comes out well. It has got me rethinking how to do it better (one step will be using my black clay for the center cone thus avoiding one glaze- even if just a slip).
The tentacles, hard to paint glaze on...

The second bowl has been recycled. Just too much going on and I get bored doing the same thing too much (yes even tiki stuff :( ). I kept it for awhile but it eventually got too dry.

But in a few days bowl #1 will be done and at very least will be something to think on how I want to proceed. At very best it will turn out awesome. So much anxiety in clay.

Got a new jar in progress. This is black clay (now it's dark red, after fire it will be black and slightly metallic - tons of iron)... had some issues with glazes shivering on this clay so he'll be raw. It's a beautiful clay body though (currently doing tests with more feldspar so it'll work with glazes).

about 3 hours carving, base details in. Now mostly fine details and cutting lid left. He's about 7-8 inches tall.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2014-07-19 01:40 ]

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2014-07-19 01:54 ]

EJ

Nice work as always.

BT

thnx, I'll get pics of the lava bowl up tomorrow (probably :D)

Some pics of the detail carving on the tiki jar.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Was he sleeping on the ground? He's got leaves stuck to his back. Nice job, BaddAss Tikis.

BT

Man I haven't posted in this thread forever, and yet I'm at the same place.

-sold-

Handmade Ceramic Lava Bowl!

Holds 32 oz. of Rum Punch and Ice along with 4 Straws and a Flaming Shot of Rum in the Volcano!

Sturdy double wall thrown stoneware bowl, Carved and Altered to resemble a South Pacific Volcano in the height of it's fury. All the while an Onlooking Octopus holds steady the straws of weary, Rum soaked travelers.
8 inches dia. x 5 inch height.
Glazes: Purple Plum, Blue/Green, Black and Copper Red.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2017-05-05 09:09 ]

BT

Starting to do a bunch of small pinch pot/ shot glasses/ cactus cups...

Not too much tiki yet but got a moai and some sea creatures finishing up. Of course zombies and skulls too!

Started working with various clays, mostly just using paper clay now. It's great for this stuff.

On instagram now jeff_knez_1147

Deviant Art Page
http://j-knez.deviantart.com/

Etsy Shop - custom ceramics
http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnezCeramics

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2017-12-12 13:25 ]

Cool stuff Jeff! The Walrus and crab are my favorites. Have you ever tried Mother of Pearl luster? It would be good on that pearl.

It sure was fun to log on and to find your art. Your projects will look terrific in many colors. I'll look forward to your finished work. Wendy

BT

6 years in the making. I carved the first one of these in 2012.
2018 and I've finally learned how to make plaster mold.

I've got four of these guys cast so far. Need to get more slip.
Hopefully I'll have them available soon.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2018-11-14 14:56 ]

Congratulations on mastering mold making. It kept me from doing ceramics for years then like you I finally jumped in and learned how. Best wishes on all your projects. Wendy

Thanks Wendy. Don't think I've mastered it yet but I do know all the steps :wink:

BT

Alright!
first 3 are glazed. The glaze was a little thick but I think it looks pretty good.

They are right at 7" tall.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2018-12-05 10:14 ]

BT, glad to see you're still slingin' mud! These are cool! For some reason the hit me as a Suffering Bastard/Moai fusion, I like it!

Two tiki thumbs up

Pages: 1 2 91 replies