Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ooga-Mooga Subscription

Pages: 1 30 replies

Howdy folks - wondering if anybody can shed some light on Ooga-Mooga subscriptions. I have a standard subscription that costs $12 a year. I would like to get a Trader account, which it looks like I can do for an extra $2 a month. If my math is correct, you play $12 for a Standard account and then another $24 to upgrade - that comes to $36 a year.

If you try to sign up for a free account, it gives you the option to sign up for a trader account for $1.50 a month...translates to $18 a year.

Now, under the "Gift Subscriptions" you can gift someone a Trader accounts for $18 a year.

Now why would I sign up for $36 a month and not just have someone "gift" me an account for $18 a year.

Unfortunately, I've tried in the past to make contacts with Humuhumu (whom I know is pretty busy) but have always heard only crickets response. Part of the issue could be that there seems to be no e-mail notification for when you get messages on the OM website (which is incrediable irritating if you're a newbie like me trying to contact folks about trades and purchases.)

I just want to know...at this point, how can I get a Trader account for $18 a year? Do I need to wait for my current account to expire?

"Pretty busy" seems a bit of an understatement. She just had a baby three days ago. I think you're gonna have to wait a while to resolve your question :)

The thing with these endeavors in the Tiki community, like Tiki News or others, is that they are a mainly a result of passion for Tiki, not really a money-making thing. So when life interferes, there is no clean cut off, or clear communication like on any commercial site. Tiki is still mostly a bohemian undertaking, no matter how pro it comes across.

Amen Brother Bigbrotiki! Listen to this man, he is wise.

First of all, huge congrats goes out to Humuhumu on the new munkin!!! Whether it's a first or another addition, great adventures ahead for her.

Hope I didn't come off as being harsh. Certainly not what I was going for. Like I said, I knew from the message boards and such that she has quite a bit on her plate and the she has a bit of help from others. Was mostly trying to see if anyone had a quick easy answer. I'm not the sharpest guy out there and thought I might be missing something - might be a page or link somewhere that I was missing that would help me out with the upgrade. Love the site, love the tiki and love the help out there.

Again - if you're out there Humuhumu - big congrats!!! Enjoy that new kiddo!!! Mahalo y'all!!!

HT

First things first. If you plan on sticking around these parts, maybe make a post under new members. Let us know a little about yourself, where you are in the tiki collecting/lifestyle, what brings you here, et cetera.

Maybe earn a little good mana after your accidental flub up there, not knowing about the baby and whatnot.

And if you're new to the world of collecting tiki, don't sweat the $6, you're going to be spending a LOT more on the hobby than that. It can be a little addicting, to say the least.

So, welcome! Browse around a bit, see what all we have to offer. Stay for awhile, and have a drink.

ALOHA!

On 2013-01-11 14:42, rikitikirhino wrote:
Part of the issue could be that there seems to be no e-mail notification for when you get messages on the OM website (which is incrediable irritating if you're a newbie like me trying to contact folks about trades and purchases.)

When I signed up the email notifications didn't start working until I linked my OM and TC accounts. (I don't know if that is still the case.)

How can I get in touch with Humuhumu? I renewed my annual trader account on February 5th and have been unable to access my account.

Cheers

K

The site's abandoned: I can't create an account either. Emailed, got zero response. Shitty webmaster.

T

Humahuma has started posting again on TC & indicated some of her sites will be updated at HER speed!

H

There is no disputing, I am a very shitty webmaster at the moment. My apologies.

Darth -- I'll take a look tonight and get in contact. I'm sure we can get you sorted quickly.

In answer to the original (and totally reasonable) question that started the thread: the current state of affairs is my kludgey tackling of a tricky problem. The fees from PayPal are per transaction, so I'm able to offer a substantial discount on annual subscriptions vs. monthly ones. But if someone wants to upgrade from Standard to Trader, I don't currently have an elegant way to handle that in an automated fashion for annual subscribers (prorating & all that). It'll be high priority to improve that in the new version. It doesn't come up a lot, most people who are interested in the Trader features dive right in with the full account from the get-go, and most people who want to take a cautious approach and not go all-in also opt from month-to-month, but I do need to make the upgrade path more graceful.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, everybody!

To set the record straight, Humuhumu has never been, nor will ever be, considered a "shitty webmaster"!

Her tireless work has been inspirational and invaluable to this Tiki community since the inception of Tiki Central: Oooga-Mooga, Critki, Arkiva Tropika, Humu Kon Tiki, Viva Kate! etc.

A webmaster with the divergent challenges of a new (and beautiful) child can be cut a little slack.

Humuhumu is on her way back (in due time) and we should all be grateful for that.

DC

Dusty, you are so very kind. But it's true--by my own standard, I am indeed a shitty webmaster right now. But I will say that I am a kickass mother!

Darth - found the problem, sent you an email. Let me know if you have trouble!

On 2014-05-18 08:20, kkocka wrote:
The site's abandoned: I can't create an account either. Emailed, got zero response. Shitty webmaster.

Hi kkocka,

Try and appreciate that there are real actual people who run sites like these. There's no giant TikiCo(tm) to rally against.

A little more compassion and/or understanding wouldn't be a bad thing.

Kevin

K

Jesus chill, figure of speech.

You're being an asshole—figure of speech. :wink:

It should be clear to you by now that Humuhumu holds a special place in people's hearts here. Note that she already agreed that she had let her responsibilities slip a bit, but it's the way you said it that got people riled up. Continuing to complain in the same way isn't helping. As Doctor Phil would say, "How's that working out for you?"

Suggestion: Realize that the way you said it wasn't the best way, apologize, and move on. Or piss people off and get nowhere.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 19, 2014 4:09 PM

He probably meant "shitty" as a compliment, like "that's the shit".

K

On 2014-05-19 15:28, TikiTacky wrote:
Continuing to complain in the same way isn't helping.

I don't recall continuing to complain. Stop being a white knight (figure of speech) and let's allow this to get back on-topic. :wink: I've moved on, the webmaster explained herself, end of story there.

My Ooga-Mooga account is now active again! The error falls on me. When I renewed my subscription, I neglected to use the proper link on Ooga-Mooga and my payment was floating out in tiki mug cyberspace. :wink:

Thanks again Humuhumu!

Cheers

Has anyone been successful upgrading a free Ooga-Mooga account to a paid (either Standard or Trader) account recently? I have tried many times with no success, and I can't seem to get in touch with Humuhumu. It's perfectly understandable, since I know she has other priorities and I am new around here. I was just wondering if there is something I have not tried that has worked for other new members. Thanks!

S

You need to contact Trader Tom on there. He only has limited access to what he can and can't do on the site but he's the one that should be able to help.

Hi Swizzle, thanks for the suggestion. I actually did get in touch with Trader Tom before I posted my query, as I am familiar with his excellent work on the site. Unfortunately, he informed me that he only has access to templates and cannot solve the Paypal link issue.

S

I know that he only has limited access and that has mainly to do with the templates but wasn't sure about the membership side of things, that's why i suggested you contact him (which you did and got your answer).

I find it very strange that she didn't give Tom full control to run the site properly until she gets around to doing the complete overhaul she had mentioned she wanted to do years ago now. It makes no sense to only let him do certain things. Unfortunately until she does do something about it, it looks like things are going to stay the way they are.

This was brought up on Facebook also, so I wanted to post some of my same reply here:

I'm happy to discuss Ooga-Mooga, but wanted to clarify a couple of things. I have a limited amount I do and have access to on the site. I've been making the templates since June of 2011. I also look at incoming photos and rate them so the clearest ones appear first as representative shots. I don't handle memberships or member info, including payments. I'm also not a web designer and there's no issue of me wanting to take over control of the site. I don't have the time or training or desire to handle the things other than I'm doing already. When Humuhumu Trott decides she's ready to make an overhaul or hand over the reins to somebody I'll be happy to provide hero support!

I know that when I last spoke to Humu in detail about her plans for revision that she was very passionate about a big overhaul. I don't believe that she is intent on withholding things from me. It is more that her plans for the new improved site would render more training and explaining to me on how to do things on the old site version as a waste of time. When she finally has time, I expect her to charge forward and do the plans she worked on, not coax me through how to limp along better with the current version.

Thanks Swizzle and Trader Tom, for the helpful, albeit discouraging, input. After some online searching, it looks like I am not the only prospective new member who has been turned away by broken links. I guess I’ll have to wait for the updates and collect the old-fashioned way. In the meantime, if anyone has figured out a way to subscribe or get in touch with Humuhumu, I’d be interested to know.

Thanks Swizzle and Trader Tom, for the helpful, albeit discouraging, input. After some online searching, it looks like I am not the only prospective new member who has been turned away by broken links. I guess I’ll have to wait for the updates and collect the old-fashioned way. In the meantime, if anyone has figured out a way to subscribe or get in touch with Humuhumu, I’d be interested to know.

Hello

So, is Ooga Mooga dead to us? I still can't log in...anyone able to find a solution?

I can no longer log on to add templates, so I'm dead in the water.

The only one who can address the situation is Humuhumu.

Hopefully the site will get some attention at some point.

I am happy to help however possible, but until then there's not much I can do.

Sorry, everyone!

R

RIP. OOGA-MOOGA..I'll never forget you..

So... just out curiosity... who collected our money back in October ...and where is it?

If you miss ooga-mooga checkout https://mytiki.life.

Pages: 1 30 replies