Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies

Order it and send them a message. They may be able to combine the order for you.

I still have a few bottles of this glorious syrup from a recent trip to Emeryville -- I made the mailer's recipe last night and it's fantastic. I usually only go for fresh white grapefruit in my non-concentrate grogs, but for this recipe, ruby red does just fine.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Apr 13, 2022 7:19 PM

Thanks, but my other order had already shipped. I did order a bottle of concentrate (and a mini mug) and applied a coupon after signing up for texts, so that bought the price down a bit.

Seems to me that including 1/2 oz rather than 1/4 oz of the Grog Concentrate is an improved recipe.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2022 8:53 PM

My bottle of Grog Concentrate arrived today. I tasted it on its own before making a Navy Grog, and to me, it has orange (thanks probably to the citric acid) and cola qualities, with some bitterness. The spice doesn't really seem to be allspice; maybe there is some nutmeg to it, as I've seen mentioned in other posts here, but I need to make some nutmeg syrup to compare.

I believe previous posts mentioned that the ingredients included high fructose corn syrup, but this bottle indicates ingredients are sugar, water, dextrose, natural flavor, potassium sorbate, and citric acid:

IMG_7574

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jun 13, 2022 8:42 PM

Well, I didn't realize I've had the concentrate for almost two months. It's been in the fridge the whole time and it's started to discolor and crystalize. I see it says, "best by 080922"--anybody have experience about how long it remains viable after opening?

I used a Mai Tai concentrate for about six months but felt like I was running a risk there at the end.

I opened a Grog Concentrate about 6-8 weeks ago, and then stored it in a 50 degree refrigerator. It has turned a tan color and its Best By date is 041423. A taste of it seemed flat compared to my memory of what it tasted like when I first opened it. There is very little air space at the top. Any one else had such an experience with something having almost a year to go before expiration?

TIA

I just opened mine for the first time on Black Tot Day last week and this thread made me realize I should probably check the expiration since I had it a while before that. I don't see one listed so I assume it's good forever, right? Seriously though, with the amount of sugar and preservatives I'm surprised this doesn't have a multi-year shelf life.

Just noticed the TV Grog Concentrate is for sale on the TV website. Looks like it also has the "new" commercial label rather than the old style label with the ship that was used in the past and which was exclusive to the restaurant. It also doesn't say anything about being available for a "limited time" as it has in the past.

Might this mean the Grog Concentrate will be available as part of the standard TV commercial offerings? Great news, if so. Hopefully they'll do the same for the Mai Tai concentrate!

https://shop.tradervics.com/collections/mixes-dressings-batters/products/trader-vics-grog-concentrate

I got an email just yesterday saying the concentrate was back, but I see it's sold out now. Doesn't seem like it will be a regular offering though, since the email also said, "Make it yours before they sell out... again!'

After seeing your post I checked the site. And yep, sold out.

However, it seems to be back in stock. AND they're selling the Mai Tai concentrate on the site, with the new labels.

Maybe it's wishful thinking and I'm making too much of the different label, but I for one would be happy if they'd just sell both as part of their regular offerings.

I learned to love Tiki drinks at the late lamented Trader Vic's Dallas, and it's nice to be able to recreate the drinks as they taste at the restaurants, even if they don't taste as "proper" as making them from scratch with orgeat, etc. for Mai Tais and pimento dram and honey syrup for Navy Grogs.

Does anyone know the current recipe as of 2023 of what TV emeryville or TV SJC uses for their navy grog?

Navy Grog: 1 oz. TV Light Rum 1 oz. TV Gold Rum 1 oz. TV Dark Rum 1/2 oz. Grog Concentrate 1/4 oz. Rock Candy syrup 3/4 oz. Grapefruit juice 1/2 oz. Lemon juice 1/4 oz. Lime juice

Trader Vic's Atlanta uses 3oz of dark rum rather than the light and gold.

Somewhat cross-posted in another thread but....

The HFCS version of the Mai Tai Concentrate is noticeably different than this newer one with Real Sugar. I adore the old version and some of the magic is lost (mellowed). Not as bold with the almond and orange flavors anymore while the new one is kind of "fruitier" to me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies