Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Bora Bora Tiki Bar, NEW DELHI, INDIA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 replies

Name:Bora Bora Tiki Bar
Type:restaurant
Street:Ground Floor 5-6, Southern Park, D-2, Saket
City:NEW DELHI
State:
Zip:
Phone:110017+91-11-4131 57

Description:
New Delhi's first tiki bar is also female owned and managed. Designed by CheekyTiki.
Aloha! ‘Bora Bora’ – a place where not just food, but an entire culture is served on a platter. A Tiki culture shaped and inspired by ‘Lono’, the Hawaiian god of music and peace. Bora Bora, a place where every morsel of food, every sip of our Tiki Bar’s concoctions, takes you to the paradise that is French Polynesia, with vast expanse of water cradling white sand beaches in its bosom and trees tha...t dance to the music of the gods!. A culture shaped and inspired by Lono, the Hawaiian god of music and peace. Bora Bora, a place where every morsel of food, every sip of any one of our Tiki Bar’s concoctions, takes you to the paradise that is French Polynesia, with vast expanse of water cradling white sand beaches in its bosom and trees that dance to the music of the gods!

http://www.facebook.com/boraborasaket/timeline

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-02 11:23 ]

I was here on Saturday.

They weren't too busy, though I did go there from about 19:30 to 21:00, well before the bulk of Indian bar-going crowds head out. The place isn't especially large, with six or seven booths and several smaller tables, along with an area which I imagine they hope will be used for dancing. Decorations were okay, lots of puffer fish, some carvings, an oar, a war club, etc. The bar seemed nice enough although is was pretty dark so some things were a bit hard to make out.

Food was okay, the usual melange of pan-Asian offerings along with veg, meat, and seafood pupu platters.

Service was pleasant and reasonably efficient. A nice touch was that when drinks were served there was also a skull mug with dry ice, so that the table was bathed in fog. Very dramatic. Amusingly, we were given garlands of artificial flowers when we were seated which were then reclaimed as we left ("Only in India," one of the Indian members of our party remarked dryly).

Unfortunately, as is so often the case here, a couple would-be DJs insisted on playing inane club music at ear-splitting volume, which sucks and really hinders conversation. We were able to get the din reduced, but had to remind them every so often as they'd crank it up again. I'll note that they were doing this solely for their own enjoyment, as no one was dancing or requesting this crap.

Anyway, on to the drinks. I've attached the tiki drink menu below for educational purposes. Drinks were generally sweet and syrupy. My Mai Tai was a suspicious red color not normally found in Mai Tais, or in nature. I'm sure the bar is hamstrung by the hideous price of liquor and the unavailability of all sorts of stuff we'd take for granted elsewhere (not that this has stopped the excellent bar at the Imperial, but that's another subject). The Zombie wasn't awful (again, too sweet), and the Skull was actually okay.

So there we are. If you want tiki in Delhi this is what you've got, otherwise I guess one has to go to Mumbai or Bangalore for Trader Vic's if one wants an Indian tiki experience.

Just a word to the wise, but on the way out and while we waited for our cars we were set upon by some incredibly obnoxious child beggars/pickpockets. No move was made by local security to chase them off, so we had that pleasure for ourselves. Not exactly a good advertisement for a pleasant night out in Saket, nor is the general poor reputation of the area for the harassment of unaccompanied women.

Pages: 1 2 replies