Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sauce... cooking, not booze

Pages: 1 20 replies

Alohas!
Has anyone out here or there ever tried "Freddies Hawaiian" sauces? Or, does anyone have any good sauces they dig on their grub they want to share?

For years I had been looking to find a sauce similar to the "polynesian sauce" used on chicken kabobs at the Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland at Disneyland. I didn't really research it, but every store I went into I scouted for something like it.

I finally found Lawry's "Hawaiian" 30-minute Marinade... tastes just like it (well, to me anyway), and I use it as a glaze/sauce rather than a marinade. It's sweet, with pineapple, but there's more to it than that....

I found Albertson's and Safeways by my house stock it regularly.

FYI: Did you know that Guest Services at Disneyland has a lot of their recipes on-hand? You can go there and ask them about the recipes and there's a good chance they'll hand you a recipe card straight from behind the counter. Alas, they didn't have the polynesian sauce from the Bengal Barbecue though :(

~Hanford

there's also some wacky thing my friend does with Coke/cola and spare ribs. They taste real good but take all day to make. Freddie came into my store and flowed me some of his to try out. Coconut-pineapple-terryaki is killer! I got to try the lawlyers(sp?) hawaiian. sounds exlent.

A

"Woody's" used to sell a Mai-tai brown Sweet and sour sauce, it was delicious. I recently purchased a bottle and noticed it was red. It was defiantly bar-b-que sauce, with a pineapple tang, not a true sweet and sour. I asked a friend of ours, Bill Horton, who produces the excellent "Old Key West Sauces and Marinades", about sweet and sour, he told me the industry no longer seems interested in producing the sauce. Many of the "Hawaiian","Kona" or "Polynesian" sauces on the market today are not the old style sweet and sour, they are pineapply bar-b-que sauces. The Lawrey's sauce mentioned above is good and seems to be the only true s&s sauce out there. I have an old recipe for making Sweet and Sour from scratch, if I find it I'll post it
Al

I'm off to the Marakai Market today in Costa Mesa. They have loads of oriental and Hawaiian foods. I'll look into the sweet n sour and see what they have. A client just opened the L&L bbq in the food court that I adorned with bamboo and I'll ask him for some secret hawaiian sauce recipes. Costa Mesa L&L are going to do some pu pu's for the "Gathering of the Tribes, Grand opening we never had and promissed we would" party on a Sunday, sometime in August at the Bamboo Ben store.

p.s., Our parties are always bring anything else you want to share so we'll have a few bbq's going for everyone to share in the festiveites. Everyone get;s involved type of a thing. And, outfits/costumes are a must. Prizes for the best dressed tribes! and so on.....

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Jul 6, 2002 3:54 AM

Aloha Ben,
If you have Lumpia(egg roles)for pu pu's, get a bottle of Filipino vinegar at the Asian Pacific store. It's a white vinegar and it has native hot peppers and garlic floating in the bottle. Pour some in a little cereal bowl. Then add some black pepper and smash 3 cloves of garlic or as many as you want to it. Then like Bob Marley said "Stir it up". Take a small bite out of the egg role and then add a teaspoon of my moms special egg role sauce and you'll be in heaven...untill you burp! If you ever come here to Hawaii they will usually give you a small plastic container with the vinegar sauce. Let me know if you try it.
Mahaloz!
"Gecko"

UB

Once again, I found this by accident and found this thread in T.C. search.
This person claims he got the secret sauce for the famed Trader Vics secret sauce recipe for "Polynesean" sauces for T.V's pork chops etc. Sounds too simple for the Vic-meister

50% Grape Jelly
50% Soy sauce.

Baste after they are cooked for the last 5 minutes.

I'll give it a try someday.If one of you do, let us know the results.

T

I don't know if it's too simple - wasn't there some story about the Bongo Bongo soup recipe being similarily uncomplicated? Like Campbells chicken soup mixed with clam juice or something? I forget.

T

Hmm... maybe not. But here's the recipe anyway:

Bongo Bongo Soup

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups half and half
  • 10 oz fresh oysters, poached (or 10 oz drained, cammed oysters), whirled in a blender to puree
  • 1/4 cup strained creamed spinach (baby food)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon MSG
  • 1 teaspoon A-1 sauce
  • About 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • About 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Generous dash of garlic slat
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons cold water
  • About 2/3 cup heavy cream, whipped

In a large saucepan, heat half and half just to simmering. Add oyster puree, spinach, butter, MSG, A-1 sauce, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and cayenne. Heat to simmering, whisking until smooth; do not boil. Add cornstarch mixture, and heat and stir with a whisk until soup is slightly thickened. Correct seasoning. Ladle into heatproof serving bowls. Top each with a spoonful of whipped cream. Slip under broiler just until cream is well glazed and slightly brown. Makes about 4 servings.

Here's a vote for my favorite...
I use the Soy-Vey Island Teriyaki to marinate pork for kabobs. Don't forget the pineapple, Mmmmm....
http://www.soyvay.com/
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2004-03-09 15:38 ]

D

Gordon Food Service makes an excellent sweet and sour sauce-good color,great balance of the sweet and sour.It comes in a rather large can,but it's certainly worth having on hand.The color is really pleasing-none of that neon-colored gunk.

The Trader Joe's chain of grocery stores makes a really good BBQ sauce, my brother sent me a bottle all the way from Maryland for X-Mas! Good stuff.

On 2004-03-09 14:52, Tiki Royale wrote:
Here's a vote for my favorite...
I use the Soy-Vey
http://www.soyvay.com/

I was just about to mention that. A fave at our house too.

-Z

I

Aloha Brand sauces are pretty tasty and can be had for pretty cheap here: http://www.crackseeds.com/sauces.html

Yoshida's is also pretty good and available at Price Clubs in huge sizes.

On 2004-03-09 14:52, Tiki Royale wrote:
I use the Soy-Vey Island Teriyaki to marinate pork for kabobs.

LOL - kosher teriyaki sauce on pork seems wrong :)

[ Edited by: Iolani on 2004-03-10 10:07 ]

LOL - kosher teriyaki sauce on pork seems wrong :)

It's all about the presentation.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2004-03-10 10:25 ]

M

Second the nomination for Yoshida's sauce, and is anyone else repulsed by Bongo Bongo soup?

I make my own teryaki marinade.
4 parts soy sauce
2 parts sake
1 part rice wine vinegar
1 part corn syrup
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

It also makes a good sauce if you thicken it with corn starch. Heat it, dissolve cornstarch in cold water, stir it in.

You can omit the corn syrup if you want,especially if you are cooking on a BBQ as it will flame up.
You can add some water if the soy sauce is particularly salty.
If you don't have time to marinade, you can just swirl some around in your mouth, spit it out, and then eat fast.

On 2004-03-10 20:06, Wersmo Derinc wrote:
I make my own teryaki marinade.
4 parts soy sauce
2 parts sake
1 part rice wine vinegar
1 part corn syrup
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

It also makes a good sauce if you thicken it with corn starch. Heat it, dissolve cornstarch in cold water, stir it in.

You can omit the corn syrup if you want,especially if you are cooking on a BBQ as it will flame up.
You can add some water if the soy sauce is particularly salty.
If you don't have time to marinade, you can just swirl some around in your mouth, spit it out, and then eat fast.

A bottle of Single Barryl RUM will cap the night off!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-03-10 21:40 ]

On 2002-06-29 03:43, hanford_lemoore wrote:
For years I had been looking to find a sauce similar to the "polynesian sauce" used on chicken kabobs at the Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland at Disneyland. I didn't really research it, but every store I went into I scouted for something like it.

I finally found Lawry's "Hawaiian" 30-minute Marinade... tastes just like it (well, to me anyway), and I use it as a glaze/sauce rather than a marinade. It's sweet, with pineapple, but there's more to it than that....

I found Albertson's and Safeways by my house stock it regularly.

FYI: Did you know that Guest Services at Disneyland has a lot of their recipes on-hand? You can go there and ask them about the recipes and there's a good chance they'll hand you a recipe card straight from behind the counter. Alas, they didn't have the polynesian sauce from the Bengal Barbecue though :(

~Hanford

Hanford, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, or at least a lousy rumor, but I just read this in the latest Mouse Planet Disneyland Park Update:

Bengal BBQ rumored to close permanently in September or October 2006 to provide room for expansion of River Belle Terrace.

River Belle expansion
In July 2003 (link) we first reported the rumor that River Belle Terrace in Disneyland might be getting complete makeover (warning, going to that old old Park Update will cause flashbacks of the X-Games at DCA). Then last August (link) we put out the word that the project appeared to be approved for late 2006.

The complete reconstruction of River Belle Terrace into a larger two-story restaurant with improved views for Rivers of American and Fantasmic is still on course to begin after the 2006 summer season, as early as September but possibly as late as the end of October. Recent word indicates that this project will be the death of Bengal BBQ as the reconstruction will eat up that space to give more room to the redesigned restaurant. It may also cut into the space occupied, or completely close, the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost store.

It turns out that River Belle Terrace is a place with quite and appetite for barbeque. Back in 1961, the restaurant was known as Aunt Jemima Pancake House when a project began to expand it to the current size. As part of that expansion, it consumed the space occupied since 1957 by Don DeFore's Silver Banjo Barbecue. So this will be the second time River Belle Terrace has eaten up a neighboring BBQ stand. For more information on the under-remembered Silver Banjo, see Werner Weiss's page at Yesterland.com (link).

Being only 15 years old, Bengal BBQ probably isn't deserving of protection as a historic landmark at Disneyland (perhaps as a sign of its relative value, neither Bengal BBQ nor the previous occupant, "Sunkist, I Presume," are listed in Dave Smith's nearly encyclopedic Disney A-Z), but the menu of meat skewers has a strong following, and not only because the food is good but because Bengal BBQ offers one of the few truly unique choices in the park. Hopefully a place can be found elsewhere in the park for them.

From the point of view of Adventureland, this will be a bit of a hit as the already small area is further marginalized with the Tiki Juice Bar and a fruit stand becoming the only food options in the land. No doubt, this will increase calls for management to revive Aladdin's Oasis into the restaurant it once was. On the plus side, it isn't hard to imagine that removal of the Bengal BBQ queues and diners will help greatly with foot traffic through Adventureland. Currently, the Adventureland/Frontierland/New Orleans Square intersection can become uncomfortably congested, even on moderately attended days.

Aladdin's Oasis returns? Or maybe the the Tahitian Terrace?

CL

Nooooooooooo!!!! I LOVE Bengal BBQ. It's convenient, yummy, relatively cost-effective, somewhat healthy (compared to the pre-processed burgers), and rounds out the jungle feeling in that part of Adventureland. There it goes the way of the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. :(

By the way, I recreated the sweet chicken skewer sauce with a combination of Heinz 57 sauce, honey, Cayenne, red pepper flakes, chili powder, molasses, and sometimes a dash pineapple juice and kraft (hate to admit it) honey bq sauce. You can throw a bit of sweet teriyaki sauce in there for an interesting combination as well.

Back to ranting, I only hope that they return the Tahitian Terrace...

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-01 20:20 ]

[ Edited by: coco loco 2006-08-02 07:48 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies