Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Formikahini's Coming to Visit California!

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

Only a twenty minute drive for me, how could be anywhere but teh Purple Orchid tonight?

I sure hope Formikahini didn't mind being surrounded by an all male TC group! In attendance were:

SugarCaddyDaddy
MTKahuna
TraderPup
Sabu
Doctor Z
SuicideSam
King Kukulele

It was a good night of TC talk and laughs. Were any of you TC'ers ears burning?? Dave & Rebecca (Wersmo Derinc) were even there to help welcome Alice to their fine establishment, and it's normally their day off! Not only that, they both brought out two flaming Scorpion Bowls for all of us to share! Good times.

I'm not sure, but I do believe that Bahooka and Tiki-Ti is on Formika's list today. Anyone have Sven's number to see if he can meet up with her after he gets back in town?

Hey SCD,

What time at the Bahooka? Believe it or not, I've never been!

Oiy,
What do you do for a drunken sailors hangover? :drink:

Formikihini, It was a pleasure meeting you last night. Enjoy your stay in SoCal.

Dave & Rebecca, the place looks great.

It was also cool to hang with
the TC dudes. (SCD, Sabu, Tpup, DrZ, DKulele, Suicide)

I'm off to Tenn...
:tiki:

I know this whole schedule thing is on short-notice status, but Formikahini will be visiting Oceanic Arts today at 1pm, followed by a late lunch at Bahooka, about 2pm. All Hoiti Toitis are welcome to join!

I believe the evening schedule will include a trip to Tiki Ti, followed by a King Kukulele performance (I forget where he plays on Wed eves!).

Need more info for today's activities? Give Formikahini a call (cel # earlier in this post).

:tiki: Hoiti Toitis Rule! :tiki:

[ Edited by: traderpup on 2003-07-23 21:05 ]

Thanks, Pup.

I will see you at OA.

M
mig posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2003 2:39 PM

NorCal people, we're slacking! The way it stands, she might actually get some free time up here! So let's do it.

We've got Vic's on Tuesday the 29th. Other options: happy hour (and shitty apps) at the Tonga Room on Monday evening? A weekend run to the new Conga Lounge in the East Bay? Or we could do the Conga Lounge after Vic's too. And we could definitely hit Sam's or the Bamboo Hut...

-mig

Mig,

I thought you No Cali's were busy working on your 'Monthly Tiki Parties'?

Yerrg! I wasn't caught up on this post! Everyone at the Purple Orchid and I missed it! I'm usually there on Tuesdays,too. I stop in for a drink after my ceramics class. I get there about 10ish.
Well, Im going to try to make Tiki Ti's tonight. I was going to go tonight anyway being the last Wed. for awhile.
Johnnie Salcker

If one of you outstandin' members of the T.C. SoCal chapter does not mind playin messenger, please pass this on to Formikahini if she is offline already. It turns out I will be around for the next couple of weeks and would happy to hook up over at Hula's in Monterey or Hukilau in San Jose. I can do lunch or dinner. Anybody else interested? Bamzeno, cruzintiki, Tiki King? She mentioned being in Santa Cruz but we all no the sad story here regarding tiki other than a few shops..nothing. Although there is a rumor that Stuckie may be out at the Duke Kohanamoku unity paddle.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4769&forum=4&1
Thanky,
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-07-23 18:29 ]

Chongolio~ if you or any other TC'ers want to meet up with her, please make sure you call her cell phone and speak with her direct: (713)992-8144. She does not have internet access at this time. One of us can 'try' to pass on a message, but without any exact times, phone numbers, etc., it would just be easier overall if you call her direct to make plans.

Today was Bahooka's, and a shopping spree at Oceanic Arts. Tonight she finished up at Tiki-Ti's, and is heading over to The BigFoot Lodge to see The Volcanics play.

Tomorrow, Thursday, July 24th, she is touring San Diego, and Derek & Olga (MonkeyMan) were gracious enough to open their home for her to stay at overnight. A trip to The Lagoon Room will be in order, of course.

SugarCaddyDaddy's SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-07-23 23:15 ]

Formikahini, when do you plan to be in Santa Cruz? If so, you got to come down to Hulas in Monterey Hope your trip is going well.

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-24 03:06 ]

Thanks SCD. I will give here a call. Hey Unga Bunga, I am partial to Hula's, I have not been there yet. I 'll find out when Formikini is going to around this area code. Any prefs as far as lunch or dinner?
A Munktiki tour would be cool if its not an inconvience to Stuckie and his Pop.

Chongolio

I made a stop on my way home from work over to Tiki Ti's about 6:30pm she walked in. Apparently Kevin another TC'er that I didn't know was sitting in a corner with Beachbum Berry who I didn't recognize because its been a few years since I seen him and he didn't have his signature hat on - anyway it turned out to be a nice night with various TC'ers dropping in for drinks including: Johnny Velour, Jud and Holly (fresh back from Hawaii hunymoon), Denny King Kukulele(on his way to his gig in Fullerton)... I left her with Judd, Holly and Johnny Velour about 9pm and she was heading over to Bigfoot to catch the Volcanics. She seemed to be having a great time. If you want to catch up with her, it looks like she's headed down south to see Monkey Man and probably Al and Shelley - give her a call on her cell phone because I think she is back in H.B. on Friday - all you locals should try to catch her then.

Californians are the BEST!! I cannot tell you how much fun I am having and how inCREDibly hospitable and friendly the whole SoCal HT gang is (and I assume the NoCal folks are the same).

I have had access to the internet - just been too busy to get on it enough to write! But aHUGE thanks to all who have been acting as my social secretaries and posting my schedule, even as it upsets by the minute!

Yes, off to San Diego today, and yes, call me on my cell phone to reach me. And the Santa Cruz stuff sounds wonderful Chongolio and all up northe there. And yes to the Tonga Room on Monday night too, Mig.

Great show from the Now and the Volcanics last night. I'll have to write later about all the great folks who have been coming out to the various fun places I'm being sent to.

Y'all are wearing me OUT - and I LOVE it!

Hey Chong,
What day are we talking about?
Hulas serves lunch and dinner.On the weekend, lunch will be better for me, I have to bartend nights. The Tiki room looks cooler at night, but sunset isn't until 8:20 (too late for tiki drivers to go back to S.F., unless they get a designated driver)
I'll call the Nielson's to get their schedule
about a tour.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-24 11:50 ]

Just got off the phone with Formikahin and it looks like she will be rolling into Santa Cruz some time on Sat. We are going to try and shoot for lunch at Hula's on Sunday. How that work for you Unga Bunga?
Chongolio

Whoops, plans did not gell quite yet. We are trying for either lunch or early dinner on Saturday or Sunday in Monterey. I will be talkin to here later on when her plans firm up a bit.

Chongolio

Form, Sugar and Sten,

I'll be at the work shop (#7) on Fri. from 10ish to 2:30ish, (got to install a bed) then from 4:30ish to 6:30 ish. Cruz on bye..........and we'll cruz on over to the store. Been workin on some new colors for Bamboooooooooo! Very, Shag!!!

Yo Reverend, Suga & Formi,

I'll see yous later this afternoon at Bamboo Ben'S.

My phone got run over by a truck last night so it's outta commission for now. On my way to get a new one.

A

OK,
Looks lkike we are meeting up at Sam's tonight. 8:30 or 9:00ish. Hope to see you there.
Mahalo,
Al

I just chatted with Formikahini, and she is returning to OC after her whirlwind tour of the San Diego area!

First stop for her is House of Tiki, then a visit to Bamboo Ben.

TONIGHT: All are invited to celebrate her last night in Hoiti Toiti land: She'll be hanging out at Sam's Seafood, starting around 8:30 or 9:00pm 'til they kick our rum-soaked asses out! We have confirmed that bartender Jeff will be there.... happily mixing us our Hoiti Toiti drink, the Tiki Central!

See y'all tonight!

DZ

Z-Girl and I will definitely be there! Pup, are you going to make Miss Formikahini a Hoity Toity 'visitors/guest' badge?

See you at Sam's!

Hey!

Glad to hear you all had a good time tonight!!!(ESP)

Form caught me as I was leaving after a hard days o dirty bamboo work!(ask Sten/Uncle Arty, he stopped by and .....) She was in a Fast Mode to get to Bong's but I detained her for at least 15 minutes to show her the store. She was stoked to make it. From her smile (in her car, as she plowed into the parking lot) on her face. Form,hope your visit to So. Cal. was enjoyable!
Who else is coming our way???

p.s. Happy Hangovers!!!!!!!

Well, well, well. Formikahini, Al, Shelly and Poly Pop just left the Bong Hut for Sam's.

It seems Bongo couldn't go as Madame Bong left him in charge of Baby Bong. Oddly enough, after 2 Mai Tais and 2 Lapu Lapu (Bong strength that is!) the little monkey kept me on my toes the rest of the evening (I only spend 'quality' time with my offspring in hopes they'll change papa's Depends at a later date).

It always amazes me how well Tiki Central people fit together. I had only met Formikahini in room 135 (on my bed! Well we were sitting on my bed as they was nowhere else to occupy...) during a drunken, loud jam fest. But as with all TC members so far, they're great folks (yeah, you heard it right, this is a-hole Bong speaking).

Anyway, I bid my alohas and wished them the best as they left for Coast Highway and to all things tiki. The taillights looked like the firey eyes of Ku as they departed, 'Little Grass Shack' spinning on the CD...

Senorita Formikahini,

It was a pleasure meeting you and having you over at the South Pacific Room. Glad I could keep you on the run the whole evening. Our lounge is always open to you on a return visit.

Gracias por el regalos. La musica esta muy bien.

PS we found the Bali Hai menu. You left it on the dashboard. I can send it to you if you like.

Derek
Da Monkeyman and Family

I going to meet from Formikahini sometime tonight in Santa Cruz for possibly a quick tour of the Lost-Isle and the meager tiki landmarks of S.C. No time has been set up yet. I am waiting to here from her later today as she makes her way up the coast. There is going to be lots of traffic in these parts because three major events are going on this weekend so drive safe Formikahini!
Unga Bunga, we are still unconfirmed about Sunday in Monterey. Its not looking to likely for me. But let's definately try to hook up for the Duke paddle.

Chongolio

There's always next time.
You guys have fun!

M

Hey Formikahini,

Glad you were able to stop by our pad on your whirlwind tour of San Diego. Mrs. ModMana and I were happy to meet you in person and you are more than welcome at our place anytime. There's alot more great stuff in SD than you had time for so make sure you come back next trip. Of course, the Bali Hai was great as usual but I don't think they're used to people staying there quite so late. Unfortunately Shelter Island is not a big late night hot spot...but cool just the same. And thanks very much to Monkeyman for driving that night. It had been a rough day for me and I needed the freedom to drink freely. :)

By the way Formikahini, what's the best way to get ahold of some of your music? I looked for it on the web but didn't find anything.

I hope the rest of your trip is everything you want it to be.

Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

Well Chongolia and I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Formikahini last night. Her friend who she was staying with invited us up to his new Tiki bar. It was a great party! We met so many interesting and fun people. His bar and decor was outstanding.
Formikahini, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself for the duration of it. I am sure the Norcal folks will treat ya right. Thanks for introducing us to Patrick and his friends. I too would like to pick up some of your tunes!
Chongolio
P.S. I still like pirates no matter what people say about them!

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-07-27 12:09 ]

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-15 11:51 ]

M
mig posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2003 1:31 PM

This Tuesday night at Trader Vic's in Emeryville is a go! Followed by a trip to the Conga Lounge, who will open just for us. (They are not normally open on Tuesdays.) I'll be sending a message to the NorCal Party list; additionally, I posted it under the correct thread in the Events forum.

Anybody up for Trad'r Sam's or the Bamboo Hut on Monday?

mig

DZ

I don't see it mentioned anywhere on this thread, so just in case you didn't know, I thought I'd mention it:

Attention all NoCal TC'ers: Tuesday, July 29, is a very special day for Ms. Formikahini!! (hint: apparently, she's a Leo...)

M

Last night we had a little preparty for Miss Formikahini at the Tonga Room. Bruce, Enid, Mig, Cathey, Ed, Rebecca, and myself were present for some fine drinks and Tropical rainstorms. All the classic elements were in place: rude hostess, wonderful atmosphere, shockingly loud thunder immediately under the speaker, and rig-around-the-rosies(??). After that, we gave the lady a tour of the Foggy Grotto, and had a Mai Tai while enjoying the special edition DVD of "Mig on Maury" featuring a live audio commentary track from the star himself, Mig. Mig & Formika then went off to the Pound SF to get into some trouble, so they'll have to fill you in on that.

Don't forget to come out tonight for the Vic's/Conga Birthday Spectacular!

Talk about a jam-packed trip! I can't even list all the great folks I got to see – the list of only the places where I went is ridiculously long! You out-of-towners, take note of what you can get done in a week out in California. Check this action, and hopefully I can figure out how to add my photos in here soon too:

Tuesday, July 22
·Okay, I flew into LA this day, so I only got a wonderful night at The Purple Orchid. You can read who came from SugarCaddyDaddy, who along with Trader Pup, was my primary PartyPlanCoordinator in LA (the biggest thanks to both of you! Mwah!)

And talk about hospitality! Owners Dave and Rebecca (Wersmo Derenc) not only came in on their night off and gave us 2 flaming scorpion bowls, but they even led me home (I was staying just blocks from their home)! They didn't tuck me in bed and read me a bedtime story, but I bet they woulda if I'd needed it! And the hunky half Samoan MTKahuna also made my night when he presented me with flowers: a lei and fresh plumeria from his garden for my hair! MUCH better than from a hula dancer, IMO. Yessiree.

Wednesday, July 23
·Oceanic Arts with Trader Pup and Stentiki. Spent less than $100! Yay! Whew!
·Bahooka for laaate lunch with above 2, plus Doctor Z. Didn't get to feed the carrot-eating fish nor hear him crunch. Next time.
·The Tiki Ti with Hanalei Pirate, Johnny Velour, King Kukulele and unexpectedly, Weird Uncle Tiki and his new bride, The Mysterios Mrs.(?) Maona Loa, fresh from their honeymoon in Hawaii. (Ms. Pirate, my dad thought you were a hottie, after seeing my pics!)
·Bigfoot Lodge to see the Volcanics (a Maikai Gents offshoot band) and The Now, kick-my-butt garage covers. What a perfect night!

Thursday, July 24
·Tiki Farm– stopped by on my way down to San Diego and got a tour from Holden. Who should pop in while I'm there but Crazy Al – yet another cool surprise!
·Bamboo2U – went there briefly before heading to:
·Monkeyman's South Pacific Room. The wonderful Monkeyman and his sweet sweet family had invited me down and offered to let me stay with them – sight unseen. We truly have a community, folks! Derek and Olga's home (and great kids!) really is a work of art, too. Accept any invitation you get, gang! Derek next had arranged a "very private, VIP" visit to:
·Bosko's!! He and his charming wife Truus have the most amazing property, nestled at the foot of a mountain, filled with mature palms, huge A-frame, rescued historical and new tikis, and a very friendly (read: face-lick-y) Boston terrior. Derek and I got a tour of the shop, in addition to a cocktail in his home bar, filled to the high high ceiling with dozens of glowing lamps. Magic.
·Next was Mr. and Mrs. ModMana's home, seeing their wonderful SHAG's and back yard waterfall fountain, and picking them up for:
·Trader Mort's liquor store and
·Bali Hai! But the bastards there wouldn't let us order any dinner, having "just closed their kitchen," two minutes before! Meanwhile, as we're sitting there, other guests are getting desserts, salads, main courses, etc. We got 'em to cough up some bread, which was a good thing, as cocktails on an empty stomach is not the best idea. At least they let us sit in the dining room, where we were treated to a view of raging seagulls raiding newly-laden fishing boats by night. At least they got to eat . . .

Friday, July 25
·Stopped off in the morning at Al and Shelley's Lagoon Room. A glowing, sunny place by day, and I'm sure a lush tropical lounge by night. We decided against sampling Al's bartending skills at 11:00 AM, however.
·House of Tiki, where I got to see a well-indoctrinated 2-yr-old yelling, "Tiki! Tiki! Tiki" with genuine glee. Loved it.
·Bamboo's Ben's, where Ben was kind enough to stay open after hours to let me run amuck briefly before heading over late to:
·TikiBong's! Got to see PolyPop and both Alnshely again, as well as yet another fabulous home bar. Y'all are inspiring me so! And Bong, I won't let out the secret that you're no curmudgeon, but rather one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Oops.
·Sam's Seafood, where Shelley and I were kicked out of peeking at the floorshow. My wonderful friend Teri, owner of some kick-ass drive-in movie theatres, joined us and I think has been sucked into the wonderful world of tiki enthusiasts. Good work, recruiting staff!

Saturday, July 26th
·Drove to Santa Cruz to help christen Patrick Boyce's new home tiki bar. Lots of nice folks there, including the vivacious Vander Vegas von Stroheim and his parents. What a great-looking moderne bachelor pad. Trés Shag-esque. Of course, Patrick always looks like a Shag hipster anyway.

Sunday, July 27th
Tooled around Santa Cruz with Patrick on his big-ass Harley, laughing as he and our friend Bill, also on his bike, discussed orange suede fabric swatches for something Patrick's designing for Bill – I swear. These are guys who are very secure in their masculinity. They finally decided that the orange in the Harley insignia itself was exactly what they wanted. Classic!
·Munktiki's – a wonderful visit to yet another master craftsmen's workshop, this one in Monterey. Paul and his feisty wife Debra entertained Patrick and me for hours (son Stuckie wasn't around), which was totally unexpected and completely a treat! We all even then headed to dinner at:
·Hula's, also in Monterey. GREAT food, and if you get to eat back in the tiki room, beautiful decor. I have to get some of those fake Leetegs!

Monday, July 28th
·Off to San Francisco for the last leg of my trip, after a quick trip to Carmel to see Debra Munktiki's cool store, Vanities. Worth the trip, gang.
·In SF, checked in at my Petty Booka buddy Ed Ivey's place, where I found it crawling with Mexican and Spanish musicians – I was in heaven! Even learned some new, exTREMEly crude slang: "ahogar el moreno" (a, um, "potty" euphemism). Also took advantage of the photo op with a purple and orange shag carpeting covered scooter parked outside. Hideous. Yet beautiful. Ok, hideous.
·Then we were off to The Tonga Room. You've read the report here already: delightfully rude hostess, über loud "thunder", and the best TC company. Mig (my SF PartyPlanner – you're the best! Mwah!) and I ended up at:
·Mr. and Mrs. Martiki6's Foggy Grotto. Wow yet again! We never even made it outta there to Sam's, because we instead rolled with laughter at tapes of Mr. Smiley, Enid, and their Ugh House on the evening news, Gorilla X on another episode of the same show, and Mig on not 1 but 2 episodes of Maury Povitch, complete with a blow-by-blow of which couples were real and which were, um, not quite so real.
·The Pound, a live music bar, with Mig to see a No Doubt spin-off band (buddies of Gorilla X, you know :wink: ) who took their sweet time getting on stage. Good stuff, but after Martiki6's ste-rong Mai Tai, I didn't have much staying power.

Tuesday, July 29th
Had just about the best birthday I've ever had!!
·Lunch at a killer Indian restaurant with Bruce, Mr. Smiley.
·Found le dress du mort at Ed Ivey's friends' store, Ver Unica (at Gough and Hayes), and wore that sucker to:
·Trader Vic's in Emeryville. Sigh. Everything they said about that place is true. The best service, the most gorgeous decor (Leetegs everywhere! Sunset on the bay!), and the tastiest mahi mahi with macadamia crust I have ever imagined putting in my mouth. Perfection. So many wonderful folks came, too, even my old Houston friend Jewelz, now a Burning Man official. Thank you so much, everyone who braved the prices to be there for that part of my birthday!
·Finally, the Conga Lounge, who, as you also read already, so kindly opened on a closed night just for our Tiki Central crew. What a great new spot, and how fun to blow out the flame on the birthday cand-, I mean, volcano. Also appreciated was my happy birthday serenade on bended knee from Mr. Smiley. Thanks, Mano, and next time, Conga Mike! And thank you cutie Ryan for driving me all night!

In short, it was an almost perfect trip, flawed only by the absence of several whom I didn't get to see but tried to show their hospitality too (e.g., Unga Bunga), or the mere-hello's visits I got with so many of you (e.g. Tikivixen, The Jab, CynfulCynner). And I didn't even see all the places there are to see in California!! Next time!!

We Southeners are getting blown outta the water when it comes to hospitality!!

Formikahini,

It was a pleasure hosting you in our neck of the woods (or lack of woods). Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. You are welcome anytime. We did have a rushed but good time that night. Sorry we had to finish off a foodless evening with a bowl of cereal. But hey.... I can always eat cereal! I love cereal.

Monkeyman

Pages: 1 2 82 replies