Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

T

Mike, great idea! Love where this is headed (so to speak). :wink: Can you poke a small hole through to allow any air to escape (to prevent it from going boom?

On 2013-07-13 15:44, MadDogMike wrote:

Because of the potential leverage involved, it will require some "mud engineering" and some serious reinforcement. ...the risk of trapping air between the slabs then it goes BOOM in the kiln :o

MDM - Please remember, when working in a potentially dangerous mud-based environment, always consult with your local Society of MUDMEN Professionals, Asaro Clay Chapter, PNG.

Safety First! :drink:

Jones - That video was very interesting and nicely done. Tasteful (no pun intended :) ), culturally sensitive, not sensationalized, informative ~ well worth the 45 minutes. I have also been looking for pictures/footage of the facial features of PNG tribesmen, this will do nicely. I used to belong to the Society of MUDMEN Professionals but they want payment in live chickens and shipping was killing me!

On 2013-07-13 17:46, poptiki wrote:
Right on Mad Dog! I like the way you think.

Pop, that's because I stole most of my inspiration from YOU (the least I can do is give you some free advertising)

TikiAno - The 2 slabs are pretty big, about the size of the palm of your hand. A single hole wouldn't stand much chance of randomly hitting a hidden air bubble and lots of holes would weaken it. I put lots of very liquid slip between the slabs and pressed out the bubbles, working from the center. It should be OK.

More work in progress:
Cowrie shells for eyes

The keyway makes sure the lid goes on the right way and doesn't move around, but it doesn't look very organic

So I am covering it with a fruit bat skull

MadDog- looking freezing sweet dude....
TravJones- u 1 funny mo fo :)

Getting close to the end

Ill finish mine in next few days

Jon

Carving deeper and DEEPER...

Thank you Jon.
Jones, thin enuf to let the light thru! Very nice. It would make a cool night light!

My trophy skull won't stand on it's own so it is going to need a base. This slice of eucalyptus may be too big though. Working on ideas to add a splash of color - maybe a big blue polymer clay rhinoceros beetle on the base?

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-07-14 14:54 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 14, 2013 3:21 PM

Lookin' Guud Mikey.

He's gonna need some legs.

There are rhinoceros beetles in Papua New Guinea, unfortunately they are an imported species and are killing the coconut palms :(

Mudmen from the future?

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 14, 2013 6:50 PM

Such inspired work showing up, I'm impressed!

TravJones- man that's looking good
MadDog- sweet fix, me like
ATP- always thinking

:)

GROG- still not to late to jump in
I know, I know, "Not Gonna Happen"
:(

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-14 20:32 ]

Dexter just got his first CANNIBAL...

Love, love, LOVE the art that everyone is producing! I'm amazed at everyone's creativity!

Now, back to work for me...
~kele

I wasn't happy with my Rhinoceros Beetle ~ the shape was alright but I didn't like the color and the texturing I did on the face was all wrong. So back to Michaels for TWO packs of polymer clay this time, black for the head and pearl green for the body. My gut told me to "go big or go home". And since I have been accused of thinking with my various "organs" rather than my brain, I decided to go for it. The resulting beast is 3 1/2 inches long.

I keep a can of Raid nearby in case he gets unruly or tries to escape!

You guys rock. Those creations are over the top. When we are back home I'll get to work. Cheers, Wendy

Mike- that looks awesome
Wendy- welcome home

Been staining and putting the "shine" on mine
Pics soon

Jon

T

Mike, looking great. Didn't know you were a "Beetles" fan....

Jones, great shot- and great lighting. Everyone's work is looking fantastic, going to be a good Swap.

Update: glazed up the Skull and Cutlery Wall Tile- working on glazing the Anthropologist Kettle later this week- fingers crossed the glaze repair will fix things right up (or together).

I vote for an Oasis in-person Swap, if that's possible. I understand that a good number of folks will not be coming out, but would be a good reason for a mini-TC meet up for those in town...? Mike, thoughts?

TikiAno, I don't think it would work out to have 2 Swaps with separate drawings for the Oasis attenders and the Oasis non-attenders. But I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a Art Swappers Git-Together and Hoedown at HulaBilly Oasis! I count 14 projects that have been started at this point and it looks like at least 6 of those people will be at Oasis (TikiAno, Cy, Wendy, ZeroTiki, Hang10Tiki, and myself)

The surprise exchange worked well for the last winter Swap. But if no one objects, I'd like to go back to a paired exchange for this summer Swap just to increase the odds that someone will be able to Swap at Oasis

Mad dog- paired exchange sounds good to me. That way if two people happen to be going to Oasis, easy hand delivery.

Done with mine.
2 more coats of 2 different stains and 3 coats of gloss.

T

Mike, sounds good- dig the "git together" idea. I'll be around for TO weekend- except for ducking out for work here and there. In any case, this Swap is looking great.

Jon, killer carve and, yes, it looks sweeeeet.

Jon that is some sweet mesquite! Love that you were able to carve thru the sapwood to expose the heartwood. Nicely done cannibal.

Ok, the party is over and it's time for me to get to work! I don't have access to clay and a kiln so I need to venture out of my comfort zone and create some art in another medium. Yikes.

I started some sketches this morning and they look like they were done by a 5 year old. :( I'm embarrassed to show them! I've been envisioning a 3 part-er cannibal with his "mini-me" in his hand, going into his mouth and then in his bigger belly. I have some nice looking wood so I may try my hand at some kind of carving or if that's a bust, 3 small paintings.

I'm going to do my best to not humiliate myself in the presence of you fantastic tiki artists on TC!

But I wanted everyone to know I hadn't given up on the swap. Yet.

You can do it Lori!!!!!

Mike, You're the world's best cheerleader! :) Thanks, as always, for your support!

This is about as exciting as watching ice melt. I want it to hurry up and dry so I can start firing and glazing. But if I let it dry too fast it will crack :(
Patience young grasshopper, er ... middle-aged grasshopper :lol:

Mike from that angle it looks like you made a bong from the Temple of Doom. You got some special herbs to go with that? :lol:

Ano- thanks
Mad Dog- thanks
Lori- go girl go...
Mad Dog- I like it, a lot

This swap kicks ars...

Jon

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-17 19:28 ]

T

Jon, no pressure there w/that graphic. Lori, go go go!

Tigertail, now that you mention it.... :wink:

Update: so, if you may or may not remember, the original Cannibal tile cracked. I tried to use supercharged vinegar slip to re-attach it, but it didn't quite work. I decided to progress w/ the project (w/o posting photos along the way). I glazed both pieces, fired them, then used twine to tie it together- I felt it make it look "modern primitive"- perhaps something found at a nice cannibal casual restaurant? (I had drilled out holes before bisque firing it).

I used a metallic glaze for the knife and fork, and white for the skull. I left the black clay unglazed. Instead of twine I used a red line to tie everything together. It was still missing something, so I added acrylic paint for a bloody finish on the knife. A little more gore than I had initially planned, but am happy w/ the final look.

Wide shot: I used a bit more of the red line as two hangars- tried to use the red to tie the piece together:

Close-up:

Extreme close-up:

Hopefully this is still within the realm of good (TC) taste. The Cannibal Kettle Bowl should be getting fired as I write this. I'll post photos of that one, including the glaze mishap that happened, as one post when I have the final version (w/ the hand hopefully reattached).

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's pieces! It's not too late to join in.... and I'm not just talking about Grog. :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-07-18 16:43 ]

Nice save TikiAno, just like you planned it that way. Yes, I'm feeling the pressure too :o I like that black clay! Maybe you already said but what is it called?

TikiAno- dude that looks cool
Grog- see, the peps of TC are still calling out to you, make something, we know you could draw a killer pic in like 3 minutes...I hear drawing helps the heart recover...

Jon

T

Mike, here's the link to the clay body: It has a lot of grog in the clay (no, not you, Grog), which makes it less interesting for hand building (for me)- though it worked great (for me) on the wheel.

http://www.lagunaclay.com/clays/western/wc391.php

I'm not sure if it would turn black in a low fire kiln- I'll send you some other photos of a bowl I threw w/ it (and glazed). I did around 15-20 test tiles (mostly for the other Art Swap bowl), the manganese content wreaks havoc on lots of glazes I've tried. I should still have quite a bit left during Oasis- if you remind me I'll cut off a few lbs and bring you a sample to take home.

Jon, thanks, glad you like.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2013 2:15 AM

On 2013-07-18 21:50, hang10tiki wrote:

Grog- see, the peps of TC are still calling out to you, make something,

Here ya go. Can o' balls.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2013 2:19 AM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-07-19 02:19 ]

Hanging accoutrements for the trophy skull mug ~ tooth & claw. Hair & feather coming soon :D

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2013 9:26 AM

Very cool MadDog! (way to censor the contents of that can Grog.)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2013 10:23 AM

No censoring. The can was empty.

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2013 11:44 AM

I meant thank you for using sports balls rather some other, fleshier kind.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-07-19 11:50 ]

Tiki Ano I like the crack and save too. MadDogMike you always surprise us. It's fun to be home and ready to work on my swap again, Wendy

Grog- :)
MDM- killer

Jon

P

W

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 02:58:34 ]

That's what I'm talking about - AWESOME Pop. Thanks :D
PS - I'd love to be a fly on the wall next time you and Babalu have a clay jam!

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-07-20 08:10 ]

The skull is drying well, could be ready to fire by Monday :D

Z

Progress!
...apparently Mr. cannibal got a reverse rhinoplasty...and forgot to shave.
~Zero

[ Edited by: zerotiki 2013-07-20 18:46 ]

MadDog- dude, that looks so real
Zero- killer

Jon

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 21, 2013 8:39 AM

Creepy and weird MadDog and Zero!

Tatau begins...

TJ- Brings a whole new meaning to " Throw me a bone "

Grog- no comments

Awesome bro

Jon

:tiki: Keep stewing the pot of creative juices everybody! :tiki:

...now to start working in the fine details.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies