Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

The detail on your bone is so impressive I don't know what to say TJ. I love every millimeter.
Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 21, 2013 7:18 PM

Tatau is a beautiful carving TJ, well done!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 21, 2013 11:30 PM

Jonesy!!!!!!

Good stuff.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 21, 2013 11:30 PM

Jonesy!!!!!!

Good stuff.

T

Zero, awesome. Mike- looks zonkers- in the best possible way.

TJ, looking great- as Wendy said, detail is amazing. This guy has developed a sudden interest in TC- and this Art Swap in particular.... (mostly TJ's entry, of course)- :wink:

Weird.

Like that painting Zero. It could also be hung on the wall with the corners up like a diamond.
Jones, love that texture in the carved out areas.

T

Here's the update on the Anthropologist Stew Cannibal Bowl. Last week I started glazing it- used 7 glazes to put details into the limbs, fingernails, hiking boots, shoelaces, and socks.

I had tested a lot of my glazes on this black clay body, wasn't too thrilled with how they came out- it seemed the clay would suck out any gloss in a usually-high gloss glaze. I decided to take a risk and use a white underglaze on the interior of the bowl to help the top glaze come through a bit more. My plan had always been to leave the outside of the kettle unglazed- this clay fires to a rich black when it's fired. I let the white underglaze dry, then grabbed a different jar of glaze and started coating the inside...

Oops! Having already done all of the details on the outside of the bowl, I accidentally used the same glaze for the interior layer as the hiking boots!

I used a sponge and removed all of the "root beer" glaze, along with the white underglaze. I was laughing, but it took a while. Once it was all gone, I left it out to dry, then painted the underglaze on once again.

Then added the "correct" glaze on top of the white.

I had also added extra glaze under where the hand had fallen off the bottom of the bowl when bisque fired. My fingers were crossed, not having used glaze to fuze broken pieces that had fallen apart during firings (though Mike and Wendy assured me that it would work). Today I went back to the clay studio, slightly concerned how things would work out.

The repair had worked, the glaze colors looked great. First look:

Side view: hands on one side, and hiking boots on the other, act as the "legs" for this bowl:

Close up: Hiking boots:

The black clay can have some strange side effects- the skin color was not supposed to look like a zombie grey- though I'd like to say that the anthropologist has been "stewing" for a while. The fingernails did turn out well:

Only one issue w/ the interior glaze- not sure if it was due to the white underglaze, but some of the glaze cracked off as I examined the piece (visible in an earlier picture). I decided to use a dremel and grind off some of the glaze- due to this fact I'd say that this bowl should be used for display ONLY, not for drinks. :(

I am working on one last addition to the bowl, and may be adding some acrylic paint to make the edges of the bowl interior more "finished." The grinding left a slight white mark along the edge.

In any case, it was a fun and interesting process, hope you- or whoever gets this- enjoys.

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-07-22 18:42 ]

TikiAno, is that your 3-legged dog?

My mug survived firing with no explosions, whew!

Covered the eucalyptus base and the beetle with a good coat of Envirotex resin. I think it will take several days to cure. The upright dowel goes inside the "bamboo" pole to hold the mug to the base.

T

Mike, wow, looks great- can't wait to see it all mounted. I'd definitely leave the resin for as long as possible for it to cure.

Yes, that's Dreyfus, and he's completely nuts.

TJ- looking great bro
ANO- sweet transformation with the glaZe
MDM- coming along great......

Jon

TikiAno, so glad your fixes are working out. Your 3 legged dog seems so happy :) I have to know the story behind that.

Speaking of missing legs and cannibals. Dr Stanley Livingston once came upon a one legged man in the wilds of Papua New Guinea and asked the villagers how the man lost his leg. They explained that the man was a captive from another tribe, that the war party had been ambushed on their way home and this captive had saved the lives of all the war party by fighting heroically. "So he lost his leg as a result of the battle?" Dr Livingston asked. The villagers told him that the man did not lose his leg in the battle, in fact he had later saved the tribal chief by rushing into a burning hut and carrying the chief out on his back. "Wow!" said Dr Livingston "Did he lose his leg in fire?" No, the villagers explained, he survived the fire unscathed. "Well how, then, did he lose is leg?" The Chief said "After all he had done for us, it didn't seem right to eat him all at once!" :lol:

:lol:

Oh Oh Oh, that is a horrific joke to go along with this horrific topic. MDM and Tiki Ano far out and cool.

My woman doesn't look at horrified glazed and she did in white. Who knows how she'll look once this is fired. I put the step by steps on my thread here are some final views. Cheers, Wendy

T

Wendy, I'd have to disagree- she doesn't look happy or content in the second photo.... I wouldn't want to go into the kiln either- or a kettle!

Mike, good one. Will fill you in on Dreyfus at Oasis- he's a handful, all right.

Wendy- looks good, cant wait to see it shine.....

Jon

BT

She might not look 'horrified', but she definitely looks like she is completely stunned. It's like she can't quite wrap her head around the fact she is going to be cooked.

I think it's pretty fitting. Nice job.

Wendy are you sure you didn't model that after one of those "Blow-Up" dolls? :D :D :D

TikiAno I hope her wrinkles show up again when she's cooked.

hang10tiki it should the pot is metal paint. I'm trying to do a kiln load of glazing and then turn it on.

Badd Tiki thank you. I hope she looks like that when the colors show up better.

Atomic Tiki Punk and you know what those look like because....
Actually I was hoping no one would notice that!

Happy Birthday MadDogMike, Wendy

I finally had some time to start my cannibal fork...

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 24, 2013 1:36 PM

That's a knife, not a fork. :D

Aloha- like the face
Grog- utensil police :)

so when we exchanging? mines all packed up & ready to ROLL

Moondog- u can send it to me now. :)

On 2013-07-25 14:11, bb moondog wrote:
so when we exchanging? mines all packed up & ready to ROLL

no, No, NO, NOT yet!
I'm not nearly finished!
(but I will be by August 10th) :wink:
~kele

Kele- it's ok you can just send it to me when you are done :)

AlohaStation - looks great, glad to see you're IN!!!
Moondog - don't be rushing us, I'm nowhere near done :lol:

Go Mike Go
:)

T

Mike, no rushing around here. "Slow and steady wins the race." It also lets you have a bit more rum....

Looking forward to seeing everyone's new editions....

Quick question

So who is going to be at Oasis?

T

will be at Oasis.

TikiAno is in...
Who else will be there?

I need to know, planning something for the cannibal traders who will be there...
:wink:

Jon

I will be at Oasis too :)

I have today to dedicate to clay, should have some progress shots soon.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 28, 2013 8:34 AM

Let me guess H10, a bbq with "surprise" meat? Cy will be at Oasis.

Cannibal Oasis Attendees:

TikiAno
MadDog
CY

Who else?

I won't be at Oasis. :(

But I'm back from my vacation on the beach. Lots of posts to catch up on. I thought that the deadline was August 1st which forced my very procrastinated self into getting busy with my swap piece. But since the deadline is August 10th I'd better slow down....

Here's what I have so far:
(it's a wood plaque with 3 pictures on it, I've titled it "The Happy Cannibal." Remember, I draw like a 5 year old. Try not to laugh!

I obviously have more work to do but it could be worse. At least I finally started, lol.

I love it Lori, makes me smile :)

Thanks Mike!

My Ndaokus (trophy skull) mug is into the kiln for the first underglaze firing, out tomorrow morning.

I realized I didn't have enough clearance around the lid for glaze between the mug and lid even though I thought I had planned for that.

Fortunately I had access to a wet diamond grinding wheel so I was able to fix that.

Went for a Amaco Designer Velvet Desert Sandstorm underglaze (only comes in 2 ounce jars, really?) on the skull that I will cover with Amaco Moss Green Opalescent

I don't have time for glaze testing, hopefully it works out OK :D

Lori- cant wait to see what you do
Mike- awesome job Mr Fit-it

Jon

T

Lori, go go go!
Mike, looks great even before firing it, look forward to seeing it when it comes out of the kiln. Always good to have a diamond grinding wheel laying around.... :)

I haven't seen many huge jars of underglaze, interesting... though not in a good way in your case....

cy, funny stuff. Hopefully Jon/ Hang 10's life won't imitate art (swap) during Oasis.

It's official hang10tiki. Dan and I will be at Oasis 13.
Lori keep up the good work. Creepy in a good way MDM.
Wendy

Cannibal Oasis Attendees:

TikiAno
MadDog
CY
Wendy

Who else?

I'm making a second cannibal tiki to give away to one of the cannibals attending Oasis....

Jon

On 2013-07-28 17:01, hang10tiki wrote:

I'm making a second cannibal tiki to give away to one of the cannibals attending Oasis....

VERY COOL!!!!!

Jon, ZeroTiki usually attends Oasis, we'll see if he replies.
TikiAno, the regular Amaco Velvet underglazes come in pint bottles but most of the Designer Velvet underglazes only come in 2 ounces.

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-07-28 21:00 ]

Got mine pretty much done... but I am not sure if I should just leave it as is for an art piece, or make it utilitarian by turning it into something like a caddy to hold stuff. Let me know what you guys think?

Meanwhile here are a few pics of it now...

I ended up doing a sort of scrimshaw effect where I carved decently deep lines then rubbed watered down paint into the grooves. I like the effect. Too bad it doesn't have a waterproof inside it would make a nice beverage cup. It may be too tall for a caddy even after I cut the ends off a bit to make them even unless someone has mighty big paint brushes or something. I dunno... thoughts? Ideas? Anyone?

Mike :)
Tiger- I like it as is! Way cool.

Jon

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 29, 2013 8:09 AM

Creepy cool Tigertail, the trophy skull is great Mike and Lori looking forward to seeing your happy cannibals complete.

Sweet Tiger! I say leave it too.

For some reason the spots didn't show up on my glaze. This type of spotted glaze usually has crystals in it that settle to the bottom, I stirred and shook it well but didn't see any crystals. I don't know if I did something wrong or if they forgot to put crystals in this batch? Still a cool color that should look interesting with the Moss Green Opalescent over it. Maybe I will mask off everything but the skull and do some spots using the trusty old toothbrush method. The skull color and the bamboo pole color are very close now but I have a plan for that too :)

Mike- Daaaaaaaaaang, that came out sweeeeeeet

Here's the start of the "Oasis Cannibal Crew Extra Tiki"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies