Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

Kele, its really nice that you let the person know. I'm not even sure if Polynesian got my bowl. Now response to my messages and no post here. ): Wendy

Ditto... I am still wondering if Tu got my bamboo after all the mail snafu, hey! it rhymes too!

How about another Swap. Perhaps a Xmas theme?

How many pieces are we still waiting on the final photos of?

Jon, we have delivery confirmation on all but one piece. Not sure about pictures though?

On 2013-09-13 06:02, AlohaStation wrote:
How about another Swap. Perhaps a Xmas theme?

Tom, what an awesome idea!

Just to confirm, mine arrived.

Unfortunately the 'blood' in the cooking pot wasn't fully set, and had 'run' in the post, wrecking the item in the process.

I'm afraid it ended up in the trash before I had chance to take pictures.

:(

T
TU posted on Sat, Sep 14, 2013 3:14 PM

Here is the groovy carving from the swap. I put it on my display of other art. This is the first tiki piece I have. I think it goes well with the machete.

Pikeys Dog
Grand Member (3 years)

Posted: Yesterday; 08:59 am Permalink

Just to confirm, mine arrived.

Unfortunately the 'blood' in the cooking pot wasn't fully set, and had 'run' in the post, wrecking the item in the process.

I'm afraid it ended up in the trash before I had chance to take pictures.

===========================================================================================================================
It's really too bad that you didn't take photos or wait for the blood to dry. The one thing I know about being an artist
is that most things can be repaired and brought back. That's how I became a tiki artist. Dan brought me things that needed
a tune up. I learned this craft by doing repairs.

I think by throwing it out without taking photos so Kele could address the issue of blood in the cannibal house you
lost all possibility of having this rectified.

There was a lot of work done to make this scene. A cool piece of art is now gone forever. I'm glad there are photos still to enjoy.

A very sad story. It's time to get back to work for the next swap. Wendy

I would have like to see it too...

Kele- your art rocks

Jon

Wendy,

Believe me, if it could have been salvaged it would have - the item had obviously ended up upside down in transit, allowing the unset liquid in the 'cooking pot' to run.
This meant that the straw roof was stained, there was long strands of the stuff all over the painted background - and some of it was still wet, which I only found out as I was unpacking it (it ended up on me, my wife and the kitchen counter in the process).
This is the reason it ended up straight in the trash before photos could be taken - I couldn't risk it causing further damage to anything else because it really was that bad!

I wasn't going to mention on this thread about the damage, in fact I told Mike via e-mail as much, but it appeared that folks were complaining about the lack of feedback.

I was sorely disappointed with the whole experience and it's definitely made me think about my future participation in such trades (I'm already sitting the next one out), and your second guessing me in the post above has cemented my thoughts on this.

ps.

I didn't want anything "rectifying" - I was just letting folks know what happened.

I wasn't blaming my trade partner - the blood could well have appeared 'set' to the touch, but was still liquid underneath.

I was just unlucky, these things happen, that's life.

What was this blood made of?

And you should not feel bad as this art bomb was sent to you.
Wendy do you think he should have sent this back to be fixed,
then sent back to him after it was fixed?

In my opinion the art should have been photographed. The photos should have been sent to Kele. They should have discussed it between the two of them and come to an understanding. When a person just goes and post a complaint here it feels like an attack. I've had plenty of horrific messes when doing my art but as those who follow my thread know I manage to take photos and post them. I've even taken photos of things that were in my garbage can. Wendy

and by the way calling some ones art a bomb is not cool, no one intentionally sent art they thought would have a problem

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-09-16 14:35 ]

T

"and by the way calling some ones art a bomb is not cool, no one intentionally sent art they thought would have a problem"

Well that's what it did, It exploded all over it's self, the recipient AND his home.

And I too have had things break, well only twice, In the mail.
Even though it was not my fault, first and foremost I did not want the recipient to feel
bad.
So that was my point.
Sounds like there was red Paint? everywhere.

Let's not "blow" this out of proportion (see what I did there to "defuse" the situation)...

It wasn't a bomb - just a "bloody" mess (again with the puns).

In the Grand scheme of things it's nothing.

Showing pictures of the damage would not have altered the fact it had leaked, but if I had known there was going to be a song and dance post mortem of the situation I would have braved the unknown staining qualities of the paint and got some juicy in depth snapshots for everyone to bill and coo over (all typed with a bemused smile on my lips btw).

T

"I would have braved the unknown staining qualities of the paint and got some juicy in depth snapshots for everyone to bill and coo over (all typed with a bemused smile on my lips btw)."

Right you are.
I have not heard bemused used since my mom was alive.

Bleeding Art!

T

ATP that works on so many levels.
BRILLIANT!!

Going to like that right now.

On 2013-09-16 16:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Bleeding Art!

sounds like a good topic for a future art swap.

On 2013-09-16 18:49, tikiskip wrote:
ATP that works on so many levels.
BRILLIANT!!

Going to like that right now.

I am allowed to use my brilliance once a year, hope I chose wisely
now back to mediocrity......

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies