Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

HT

Congratulations! Looks like your wife was the third cannibal for awhile there! :)

W

I recently went to Smuggler's Cove here in SF and they have a set up on the wall of the Hunter, Eater, and Ingestor shown on Tiki-Kate's post! So cool to see them in person. I was inspired and did this drawing...

Thinking I might do a painting of this, or similar for my swap piece.

Congrats Anthonymaye!

Too funny Zero! :lol:
Great sketch Woody.

T
TU posted on Wed, Jun 12, 2013 6:41 AM

Here is the progress. I think I will call it "Fiji Fish Fry" I figure if I was a cannibal in Fiji and got tired of eating missionaries, I might want something that tasted like fish. The picture is kinda blurry, but you should get the idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now THAT'S thinking outside of the box! Love it.

C
cy posted on Wed, Jun 12, 2013 7:38 AM

I can't believe the participation already! Great clay starts TikiAno and Wendy. Anthonymaye congrats and your bowling pin is a strike. Aloha, er, um never mind, creepy contents creepy bear, Zero "Food Chain" is awesome, Woodtiki that cool sketch framed would be enough, and an excellent idea Tu!

I finished the face using my own by going back and forth to the mirror. Horrors! So now it is ready to dry.

Another great swap MadDog. Wendy

So cool so far. I dig it all! I love art swaps. Truth be told, I have NO clue what I'm going to do. I have something in mind, but it's super not traditional. We'll have to see how it works out.

Looks great Wendy. Is there going to be much room for the drink and the dry ice :D

T

Wendy, looks great- I'd love to have seen Dan's reaction to watching you put yourself in the kettle. (Well, a clay version, anyway). Looks appropriately scary. Zero, Woodtiki, awesome. Tu, love that fish fry idea. Jon, look forward to seeing what you are doing, traditional or not. :)

I trimmed the black bowl a bit, nothing very exciting, so no pics for now. Came up with one more idea, now might throw a third option into the mix. Too much?

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-06-12 16:32 ]

YOU guys are killin it...

Time to get mine going...
Had to get just the right size wood (no jokes Grog) :)

HT

Nice wood.

No, seriously. Nice wood.

Is that mesquite in your pocket Jon or are you just happy to see me? :lol:

If you want some AWESOME inspiration, just check our the recent post on PopTiki of Colorado's Gallery, especially the Headhunter's Chalices. I have been doing research of on PNG Asmat "Ndaokus" (trophy skulls), not to be confused with “Ndambirkus” (ancesteral skulls). But PopTiki has raised the bar to an impossible level :( Now I have to see if I can design something anywhere near as cool without stealing his ideas! I am considering starting a rumor he is an ax murderer and that those are molded for a real skull just to discredit him :D

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 13, 2013 6:40 PM

Heh, heh, heh. :D

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 13, 2013 6:43 PM

You should have carved it a bit deeper. And would it have hurt you slap some stain on there?! Damn if you're not the laziest carver on TC.

love, love, LOVE what everyone is doing here!
I finally have an idea for my swap piece & am gathering materials to create it.
I hope you all like! Or most importantly, the artist who receives it appreciates it.
When I have some progress to show I will post here.
~kele

Man you guys are funny...
Grog- I almost spit out my coffee

HT

On 2013-06-13 15:42, MadDogMike wrote:
Is that mesquite in your pocket Jon or are you just happy to see me? :lol:

If you want some AWESOME inspiration, just check our the recent post on PopTiki of Colorado's Gallery, especially the Headhunter's Chalices. I have been doing research of on PNG Asmat "Ndaokus" (trophy skulls), not to be confused with “Ndambirkus” (ancesteral skulls). But PopTiki has raised the bar to an impossible level :( Now I have to see if I can design something anywhere near as cool without stealing his ideas! I am considering starting a rumor he is an ax murderer and that those are molded for a real skull just to discredit him :D

Love Poptiki. I got one of the skulls, just the plain skulls. Love it.

T

On 2013-06-13 18:43, GROG wrote:

You should have carved it a bit deeper. And would it have hurt you slap some stain on there?! Damn if you're not the laziest carver on TC.

Heh heh.

Finally got back working on the Swap pieces. With the piece leather hard (if not a bit drier), was able to trim a bit more and get rid of any of the black clay that had migrated over to the white clay body. I cleaned up some of the texture on both the background and the skull:

Then I punches holes where I plan to put a lanyard or braided rope through for hanging purposes (better view of the background texture):

Signed and dated the back:

Then left that outside to dry up a bit more (spoiler: initially in the shade, then the sun moved around and started to bake it up real quickly). Started working on the cannibowl.

While the cannibal bowl is (obviously) a popular item, I'm heading into a (slightly) sillier direction. Here you go....
First I took some white clay and formed up a pair of hiking boots:

Then I raised the bowl up on some wood, and slipped (and scored) the boots underneath the bowl. I initially put shoelaces on, but had to smoosh them down as I was attaching them.

Do you see where I'm heading w/ this yet? Then I added some knees to attach to the boots. The legs are to be hanging out of the kettle/ bowl:

I started working hands on the opposite side of the bowl.

Then forearms and a lil' bit of elbow, along w/ fingernails:

And then shoelaces came back.... it's an explorer in the pot!

Top view:

Now waiting for this to dry up. My plan is to use different glazes in the interior of the bowl- one glaze will (hopefully) look like the "soup" line, and the bit above will be black. The exterior, aside from the body parts, will be left unglazed, and will turn black when glaze fired.

After spending some time on this, I walked over to grab the Skull & Cutlery tile, and found it to be sitting in the direct sun- not the best for clay- even though it WAS fairly dry already. I scooped it up and put it on another shelf (indoors) to finish drying. I noticed that it wasn't quite laying flat. Stupidly, I lightly poked at it to check how dry is was, and....

(ugh). I can't believe it, but I cracked it.

I mixed up some super duper slip (w/ vinegar instead of water), which supposedly has superior sticking potential. I made a thick sludge, used it as glue between the two pieces (as well as the front and back) and forced the two together. It lined up pretty well- I may have to add some white clay and amend the connecting points. It's all wrapped in plastic and will check on it next week to hope for the best.

I guess this is why I was working on two pieces at once?

T

Jon, that carving is looking sweeeeeet!

Ano- great idea with the bowl and it's looking sweet
:)

Lil more

TikiAno, that bowl idea is GREAT! Hope your repairs work out fine.
Jon; looks good - keep it coming

I jinxed us Tiki Ano, I'll be posting what I cracked on my thread. I'd never heard of the vinegar making a glue before. I'll be watching to see how that plays out.

hang10tiki I love tikis with tongues. Very nice.

Fun swap MDM, cheers, Wendy

Grog your post on hang10 has me rolling
very funny stuff

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 16, 2013 4:16 PM

Sometimes I like to just grab some markers and ad- lib my way through, with no plan whatever. I worked on four different cannibal themed drawings and chose "Cannibalooza" as the winner. Since I just enjoyed the Ding Dong Devils at Tiki Caliente I modeled the band after them. The audience is captured in a rum and human flesh induced frenzy. Here is the first step.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-06-16 19:54 ]

Wow Cy I can feel the feeding frenzy and see all the action. That's super good. Wendy

Cy- lookin good, it made me hungry

Jon

Everyone's works are coming along very nicely! I feel like a piker for not starting mine yet, I am still ruminating on how to accomplish my idea since it's a material I have never worked with in this manner before (bamboo). Maybe someone here can tell me; can bamboo be carved with a dremel tool? I know from recent experience that the stuff is far more splintery than I ever imagined so am wondering if it is going to be too hard to carve without messing up? Any help/ wisdom on the subject would be appreciated.

Tiger- sorry I can't answer the Boo question, I've only used a machete on it.

Lil more today:

Dude workin on his tan while eating lunch...
g

T

Yes.

Cy - that looks great, the crowd scene reminds me of Saturday night at Tiki Caliente!
Jon - that's really coming along. I'm jealous because I haven't even started yet.
Tiger - There is a gal Clarita from Argentina who carves bamboo. Check out her thread for inspiration and maybe some tips

C
cy posted on Mon, Jun 17, 2013 3:49 PM

Wow Hang10, that is great, your best yet!

T

Hang10/Jon, your carve is looking sweet. Keep us posted.

Cy, love Cannibalooza, great concept, details, colors, and more. Looking great.

Look forward to seeing more stuff. An update, the cracked tile was not fixed w/ the ol' vinegar slip. I'm going to be using it as a test tile, so to speak. I'll see if it can be glued together, but think it'll get trashed unless someone is interested in int. The bowl is drying well and hope to bisque fire it fairly soon.

Thanks guys

Skip- is there a cannibal inside your cocktail shaker?

Jon

T

On 2013-06-18 15:31, hang10tiki wrote:
Thanks guys

Skip- is there a cannibal inside your cocktail shaker?

Jon

"Maybe someone here can tell me; can bamboo be carved with a dremel tool? I know from recent experience that the stuff is far more splintery than I ever imagined so am wondering if it is going to be too hard to carve without messing up? Any help/ wisdom on the subject would be appreciated."

Not for swap, but answer to this question above.
So yes, you can carve bamboo with a Dremel tool.

W

Progress on "The Hunter" painting. The orange is the undercoat, I alway like a color under my paintings to add some depth. I think he is happy he has found some dinner!

Skip- :)

Wood- awesome

Jon

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-06-18 20:06 ]

hang10tiki that was a surprise that I didn't see coming. Super nice.

Woodtiki did hang10tiki pose for you?

This is sure fun, Wendy

WoodTiki, I like it! Keep those progress pictures coming :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 19, 2013 12:29 AM

Hanging10---GROG glad you take GROG' advice and carve deeper. It looking sweet!

I was going to say that its a good start - but its WAY farther ahead of where I am (which is just picking out what I want to do).

BTW - is Grog joining the swap?? You can do any format you want - and I heard a rumor that you know how to draw??

Do it Grog
Jump in............

Grog! Grog! Grog! Grog!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 19, 2013 6:38 PM

Not gonna happen.

:(

hang10tiki your tiki is better than the originals. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 20, 2013 1:04 AM

If GROG did do something for the swap, it would probably be something silly and cartoony like this, and it's not even Tiki.

[ Edited by: grog 2013-06-20 02:09 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies