Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

More Tiki Ti Lamps...

Pages: 1 25 replies

AF

My Tiki Ti Lamp...is also my first lamp. It was a lot of work but definitely a labor of love.

Been on TC since '08 and lamps have always caught my eye. I like 'em. Maybe not enough to ask Sven to do 'Little Book of Tiki Lamps', but... I've admired the creations of Monkeyman, Kahaka, Tikiskip, Bongofury and many others for a long, long time. Please know that you've all inspired me on this lamp.

It started when I saw this wicker and rattan object at a antique shop about a year ago and envisioned that it could possibly be used to make some type of Tiki lamp. My wife agreed and said "Yeah right." About $10.00 later, it was mine.

I was in Oceanic Arts a week or so later and saw this lamp from the Pago Pago in Tucson, AZ hanging from the rafters. Design ideas started to flow but laziness set in and basket thing just got moved around the garage a lot until around four weeks ago. As Kirby used to tell me "You just gotta do it." So I did.

With much help from my friend HB Tiki, here it is finished. HBT & I really enjoyed seeing it come together.

Tikiskip, you'd be happy to know that the lamp weighs under 4 lbs.

Mike Sr. was celebrating a June B-Day and that became to driving force to get this completed and although belated by a week, I was able to present it to Mike and the Tiki Ti last Saturday.

Then I celebrated with a good ol' Fog Cutter & a cigar! :D

Thanks for looking, Anders

[ Edited by: A Frame 2017-05-02 11:42 ]

Spectacular job A-Frame (and HBT). Can't wait to get the Tiki-Ti and see is hanging. Mike SR. must have been stoked.

DC

Great job Anders!

Maybe you have found your calling :wink:

H

Nice work...looks like Aframe gets an A+ !!!

It looks good! Tiki Ti needed a lamp like that to hang for the many decades to come.

Great lamp! Nice work.

T

WOW! Anders, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!

And I love the way you re-purposed a found object!

Can't wait to get over to Tiki Ti to check it out!

Wow...great lamp and how awesome to donate it to the Tiki cause. NICE JOB!!!!

Very Nice!

K

Really neat lamp!! I donated one a while back, and I think Tikiskip did too. Looking forward to checking it out!

That is beautiful!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 12, 2013 10:59 AM

That turned great. GROG like.

Anders,

Your lamp came out great! It's beautiful. You were very generous to donate it to Tiki-Ti for others to enjoy. (I'd have wanted to keep it.)

I'd love to know more about the lamp's construction if you're so inclined. If I could ever find anything good made of wicker I'd like to attempt a lamp.

T

Wow!
That is a great job!!
I got tons of old wicker stuff that I wanted to make something with.
And I also have a light in the Tiki Ti as well.
Ha! Ha! Did kinda go nutz on the weight of my lamps, Think I'm done with that for now.
Awesome light really.

Awesome lamp! I'd say that you are already a pro at making these!!

Wow Anders, very nice job and nice vision spotting that and making it into a awesome lamp.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2013-06-12 23:59 ]

HT

Well done.

AF

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone!

It's now hanging in the Tiki...

Did I say first lamp? Mmmmm...

EJ

Really nice!! Thanks for sharing.

AF

It's been a long time...so I thought I'd better get to posting some newer lamps I made up for the Tiki the last few years. All were born out of my love for the Tiki Ti and the people who frequent it.

I also need to say, that to me, Kahaka's lamps are the gold standard. If anyone ever needs to get motivated to create in the lamp realm, just look at Woody's work here on TC. I do and I'm always amazed and inspired by what I see. There's lots of others of you out there that I've drawn from too, know that you're all artist's in my eyes...

I made up a light string which can be read from either side depending on your perspective in the bar. Using a Roto Zip was a bamboo dust flying adventure.

Did a couple lanterns for each of the two corner tables just inside the door, it was a lot of fun working with resin for the first time.

Just after the Tiki's 55th anniversary last year, I finished one with a nice glow using a piece of vintage Samoan tapa...really like working with old tapa.

Currently working on another one for the Tiki and will post it then it's finished. I've completed several others and plan on posting some in Creating Tiki soon.

Thanks for looking!

F

Wow, more incredible work, A-frame! I need to get back to the Ti and here's just a few more reasons to go!

Cheers to you and your great work!
:drink:

H

Great work, I haven't been to Tiki Ti in a while, looking forward to checking these lights out when I am there next.

AF

Just finished this one for the Tiki Ti and hung it last Saturday. Used some very old Fijian Tapa with a lot of black and dark brown in it. Hard to get the camera and/or operator to show the true red color of the resin...the first photo is pretty close. Really like how this one turned out.

Thanks for looking!
AA

On 2017-06-05 14:23, A Frame wrote:
Just finished this one for the Tiki Ti and hung it last Saturday. Used some very old Fijian Tapa with a lot of black and dark brown in it. Hard to get the camera and/or operator to show the true red color of the resin...the first photo is pretty close. Really like how this one turned out.

Thanks for looking!
AA

Love this! Any chance you are willing to make another for me?

AF

Thanks Jeff, it'd be my pleasure!

I was fortunate that A-Frame brought this amazing piece to The original Tiki Marketplace in Garden Grove yesterday. The following pix show it in it’s temporary location-the plan is to permanently locate it in our dining room. This lamp is big. Hope I didn’t steal your thunder Anders but I could not contain myself. We are so proud to own this particulr lamp.
Mahalo

The starfish are the real deal

Bottom view

Light on.

Pages: 1 25 replies