Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ooga-Mooga and Humuhumu.com Viruses

Pages: 1 26 replies

Z

Just a warning to everyone who hasn't noticed. There are hijacker viruses and possibly others on Ooga-Mooga and Humuhumu's website. My anti-virus caught the latter but the Mooga got me. Took hours to clean and I'm not even sure it's been eradicated. DON'T click on the OK button on Mooga if it asks to update your image viewer.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2013-06-15 08:00 ]

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2013-06-15 08:02 ]

Sounds like a "Java exploit" did your Antivirus program
identify the virus by name?

I can post cleaning instructions for anyone else who gets infected.

I love my Mac. :)

Z

On 2013-06-15 12:08, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Sounds like a "Java exploit" did your Antivirus program
identify the virus by name?

I can post cleaning instructions for anyone else who gets infected.

No, I only had Security Essentials running at the time. Later I was using Webroot while surfing and hit Humuhumu's site and get only this:

Although, I also get that message on Mooga but it goes away in a half second.

Zinctiki

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2013-06-15 19:26 ]

I wonder if she's using WordPress? WP exploits are the most common way I see sites get compromised.

Ooga Mooga is a valuable resource, but it would be nice if someone else could take the reigns while she's focusing on her new baby. That's a lot of work!

Yea, it was blocking a pop up that attempted to use one of the many security exploits
to infect a computer, has anyone notified Humuhumu?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-06-15 22:43 ]

Z

On 2013-06-15 20:52, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Yea, it's was blocking a pop up that attempted to use one of the many security exploits
to infect a computer, has anyone notified Humuhumu?

I sent her an email yesterday.

Z

On 2013-06-15 19:33, TikiTacky wrote:
I wonder if she's using WordPress? WP exploits are the most common way I see sites get compromised.

Ooga Mooga is a valuable resource, but it would be nice if someone else could take the reigns while she's focusing on her new baby. That's a lot of work!

One thing I will recommend: If Winpatrol wasn't running I wouldn't have known of the hijacker trying to install itself. I highly recommend it to anyone using Windows.

Well, I alerted Humu via Facebook but haven't heard back.

Maybe it's fixed?

I haven't noticed any problems with Ooga Mooga as a user or through my limited access as a template builder/administrator. Then again, I use a Mac, so maybe it's not targeting me.

Please let me know if the problem is persisting and I will try to contact Humu again and let her know.

Z

On 2013-06-18 18:08, Trader Tom wrote:
Well, I alerted Humu via Facebook but haven't heard back.

Maybe it's fixed?

I haven't noticed any problems with Ooga Mooga as a user or through my limited access as a template builder/administrator. Then again, I use a Mac, so maybe it's not targeting me.

Please let me know if the problem is persisting and I will try to contact Humu again and let her know.

Just checked both sites. Webroot says the exploits are still there. I'm using Firefox on Win7. Anyone using those should avoid the sites for now.

Darn! Okay, I'll message Humu again and give her the link to this thread. I'll let you know when I hear back.

I heard from Humu and she is aware of the problem and will take care of it as soon as she can. I will keep you updated.

Z

Thanks. I just checked Mooga and no error that I saw. Humu's site is still infected.

EJ

Any update on this? I have been hesitant to go to the site. I have also noticed others recently linking to the site in other posts who probably have no idea of the issue.

Z

I just checked both sites and got no warnings from my AV (Webroot SecurityAnywhere) so they should be fine.

Good news!

I just kept chugging away adding templates and never saw any difference on my Mac.

I'm happy everybody can go on now!

I get the same warning again on Ooga-Mooga and Critiki. It lasts for a second then goes away. On Humuhumu's page it doesn't go away and I have to close the page.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2013-07-21 12:31 ]

I just checked Ooga-Mooga without any issues.

Checked again. Last time I post anything about this. No errors as of now. Good luck.

Appearing this morning:

Ooga-Mooga does the same for me. Critiki remains clean.

Speaking of which, Humuhumu hasn't posted any news since November. Anyone know what's up with that?

I've alerted Humuhumu to the problem. She said she would look at it when she had a chance. Hopefully she'll get it fixed soon.

Good news.

So, it turns out that only the attached blog was infected and the actual Ooga-Mooga site was okay.

Humu removed the blog and has alerted Google (who put up the big red screen warning).

It will take Google a little while to remove the red screen and things to go back to normal, but the problem has been solved.

On 2018-03-24 10:11, Trader Tom wrote:
It will take Google a little while to remove the red screen and things to go back to normal, but the problem has been solved.

Looks all clear today, thanks TT & and Humu!!!

N

tried to go to the site from 2 different browsers just now, just a blank page. any updates?

ooga-mooga has been down for years. I saved all the data and created https://mytiki.life which has added more mugs.

ooga-mooga has been down for years. I saved all the data and created https://mytiki.life which has added more mugs.

Pages: 1 26 replies