La Mariana Sailing Club in trouble!

Pages: 1 24 replies

T

from The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted on: Friday, July 4, 2003

Sand Island's oasis fined for its music

By Curtis Lum
Advertiser Staff Writer

The La Mariana Sailing Club has been a sanctuary for residents and visitors looking for a restaurant and bar that reflected the old Hawai'i, where tikis and glass balls filled the room, along with music and good times.

For nearly 50 years, the old-time Waikiki- style establishment has filled that need. La Mariana is tucked away off a side road along Sand Island Access Road and the restaurant is a repository for items from former favorite watering holes like the Kon Tiki Room, Trader Vic's, South Seas restaurant and the Tahitian Lanai.

In addition to its decor, one of the draws to La Mariana is the piano music and sing-alongs. Every night but Monday, one of three blind pianists takes center stage and is joined by unabashed patrons looking to unwind.

But the club was in violation of its liquor license, which did not allow live or recorded music. The violation had gone unnoticed by the Honolulu Liquor Commission until a private event was held at the club in April.

The party, "Tiki Lounge Five-0," featured longtime local entertainer Martin Denny and charged patrons an admission fee. On the night of the event, Liquor Commission inspectors showed up, checked owner Annette Nahinu's liquor license, and issued a citation.

The restaurant was cited for the April event, but could have just as well been fined for the piano sing-alongs.

Yesterday, Nahinu pleaded no contest to the violation and was fined $250. The 88-year-old Nahinu said she was shocked at the fine and expected a good scolding at the most.

"I didn't think it was fair, do you? Because I didn't know that this was the wrong thing to do," Nahinu said.

She said the event organizer approached her with the idea and the restaurant's manager said it was OK. But she found out that not only was the event illegal, but so were her piano players.

The three pianists include Ron Miyashiro, who lost a place to play when the Tahitian Lanai shut its doors in 1996.

"He needed a home," Nahinu said. "This lady came to me and said, 'Annette, I have this wonderful player and these singers that need a place.' And I said, 'Bring them here and we'll see what they're like,' and they came and they were very popular. People loved them."

Since the violation, Nahinu has obtained a temporary permit to allow the piano music, singing and dancing. She pleaded with the commission yesterday to waive the fine.

"I have worked very, very hard. Since 1992, I have not drawn one penny from that place," she told the panel. "I've put everything in it. I work very hard and it's rough to have to pay a fine. It's rough, believe me."

The commissioners declined comment. Deputy Corporation Counsel Debi Tulang-DeSilva said her $250 recommendation was standard, but the commission had the discretion to reduce the amount or issue a letter of reprimand.

M

Maybe,
We should hold a fundraiser to help Mrs. Nahinu with the fine. It would be a shame to see such a wonderful place close it's doors for a minor violation.

Hell I will send her a check today. What the contact info?

T

Just another example of the man keeping tiki down!

i think we all should take up a collection and send it to her. who wants to donate?

M

I have an idea so we don't duplicate the "Tiki Gardens donation " problem; Why doesn't someone post her name and address at La Mariana and we can just send individual checks( and a short note why you are sending the check) to her and that way we don't have to worry about her not getting the money.
We might want to run a total on this thread so we know if we have fallen short or have gone way over (if anyone cares) the $250.

M

oH i see Pacific Andy had a similar idea!

what was the "Tiki Gardens Donation Problem?"

HA! James, I just noticed your location as being From: Russia With Love. You are so suave and witty.

E

Someone please let's get this donation thing going! I will be happy to mail whatever I can from here in the frozen Northlands - I need to visit this place some day and don't want to find out it's been lost because the Man is dunning Annette Nahinu for fines!

grr,
emapce.

M

The address is off Yahoo Yellow Pages:
La Mariana
50 Sand Island Access RD
Honolulu, HI 96819
808-848-2800
Owners name per newspaper article is : Annette Nahinu

Call first if you want to verify address, etc.--otherwise start mailing your checks to her. No need to wait for anyone else.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2003 6:23 PM

On 2003-07-08 16:59, modchick65 wrote:

There was a pledge drive some time ago to erect a tiki at the the site of Tiki Gardens. Pledges were offered but a few weeks later when it came time to put up the money many people backed out.

We can avoid that by setting up an account (Paypal or otherwise) with a trusted TC member that people could donate what they want to (anonymously or not). When the amount reaches $250 the treasurer sends a check to Annette. Paypal is nice because it's faster than waiting for checks (which may bounce, especially if coming from me!). But with Paypal there's a small fee for payments from credit cards.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2003 6:31 PM

On 2003-07-08 18:20, mrsmiley wrote:
Call first if you want to verify address, etc.--otherwise start mailing your checks to her. No need to wait for anyone else.

This is fine but might it be better is she gets the whole amount from Tiki Central in one payment?

M

"DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Main Discussion Area: La Mariana Sailing Club in trouble!
Posted by thejab on 2003-07-08 18:23

On 2003-07-08 16:59, modchick65 wrote:

There was a pledge drive some time ago to erect a tiki at the the site
of Tiki Gardens. Pledges were offered but a few weeks later when it
came time to put up the money many people backed out.

We can avoid that by setting up an account (Paypal or otherwise) with a
trusted TC member that people could donate what they want to
(anonymously or not). When the amount reaches $250 the treasurer sends a check to
Annette. Paypal is nice because it's faster than waiting for checks
(which may bounce, especially if coming from me!). But with Paypal there's
a small fee for payments from credit cards"

Actually I was trying to avoid all that by suggesting that people send their money directly to the owner of La Mariana--but the way you suggest would also work if someone wants to be the treasurer--possible alternate: we send checks written to the Owner of La Mariana but MAIL THEM TO THE "TREASURER" of this fund raising drive. When the "treasurer" receives approx. $250 in checks he/she posts it on TIki Central and then the "treasurer" mails the bundle of checks to the owner. This was we can feel fairly confident that the money will go to La MAriana.

M

It would reflect better on TIki Central if the money came in one check-but in the long run $250 is still $250 no matter how you slice it. Of course since I am not volunteering to be the "treasurer" these are only my suggestions and whoever wants to be the tresurer can do what the like.

Now stop typing ,Jab and head to trader Vic's in Emeryville or we will be so drunk when you arrive that he drinks will be ON you!

Why doesn't somebody ask Gecko? Just send him an e-mail and find out if this story is true, old news or what. He's in their everyday.

C

Yeah ask Gecko, he's the man. I thought he lived there ; )
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

C

While the article's title alarmed me too, I didn't read where the restaurant is in actual danger of closing over a $250 fine, it's just "in trouble" with the Honolulu Liquor Commission. Also, the owner is petitioning to have the fine waived. Maybe we could write to the Commission in support of amending (revising? changing?) the liquor license permanently so they can keep the piano players. The variety of origin on our envelopes would be impressive. Still, paying the fine for the owner would be a great gesture too.

UB

Liquor Commission inspectors:
Welcome to the Legal Mafia!

I think Gecko should set up a kissing booth to help out his favorite hang-out. They'd probably rake in enough to build an annex and pay off all permits, licenses and kickbacks!

(I'm only half-kidding about this too...)

M

I'm in (for real!!),
It would also be nice to have a member present it to her.

Gecko is always at the La Miriana. We can give him a call and see if he would present it to her. Perhaps we should also do an email card....

I know that there are alot of tiki artist out there.

T

On 2003-07-08 18:20, mrsmiley wrote:
The address is off Yahoo Yellow Pages:
La Mariana
50 Sand Island Access RD
Honolulu, HI 96819
808-848-2800
Owners name per newspaper article is : Annette Nahinu

This concurs with TRT.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2003 4:42 PM

SHIT!!! I jus wen seen this post.....I've been bizzy.

I love you all!! I'm impressed and am going to print this out and show Anette (owner) what you guys have said. That's pretty nice being only 2 names I recognized have actually been to the historic La Mariana.

I'm touched!

She is petitioning the problem. No need to send her $$$ I think your thoughts alone will bring her spirits up. She told me she got a temp license for the piano players to play.

It all stared with Martin Denny performing there. The (GE) Tax peopo/Liquor comition aka "THE MAN" basicly didn't get there cut in the cover charge(which was only $5 ahead for Martin Denny!!! when they could have charged $40) so now they want to get ugly. after all these years they let La Mariana have a piano bar but because they didn't get .05 percent out of $5. they wanna mess wit us!

There's no way the peopo of Hawaii will let La Maraina's doors close for good. Then I would have no place to drink my "spotted geckos" by da way Al & Shell I have the recipe fo dat drink fo ya. can't put it ova TC though. I'll email ya.

Purple Jade about da "kissing booth" great idea but den dat would make you behind on your payments wahine!!!

when I'm carving 25 years from now, I'm gonna take this post out and read it.....I usually print funny or eye catching post to read later down da road when I'm an OOOOLD tiki carver. Hopefully TC will still be around but if not I'll have some fun memories.

This was a great post showing that good ol ALOHA SPIRIT from you peeps!

Alohaz and Mahaloz

http://www.geckotiki.com

T

Hey I would be happy to forward my Tiki Gardens money to the cause, I'm glad to hear it's not at risk of closing, I have to be there at least ONCE in my life!

Speaking of La Mariana I watched the Food Networks show "$40.00 A Day" where this chick goes to different cities and eats all of her meals for under $40 a day. She was on Oahu she went to Duke's for a cocktail and went to La Mariana for dinner, they called it a "retro, out of the way, older style tiki bar"

It was actually a nice piece on the place, but they didn't show enough of it.

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2003-07-09 17:52 ]

dat would make you behind on your payments wahine!!!

Aawwww, those weren't free samples? :wink:

Pages: 1 24 replies