Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

On 2015-08-10 08:13, Tiki Flange wrote:
Help, I'm addicted to Painkillers!

Very cool -- your therapy is obviously going very well! :)

Painkillers are a hit with my friends too. Eventually you can try a few different rums in your Painkillers and see how that works. I've run out of Pussers and had to sub Myers's and a few other things.

Me too! Pusser's was on sale at my local liquor store for $9.99. I bought all they had.

Yay!
:)
Now my backup rum shelf is full. Please come over and drink some of my rum!

S

On 2015-08-10 21:44, lunavideogames wrote:

Ok. I'll see you in a couple of days.

[/quoteI
I luv dem Painkiller’s. ATP gave me a tip some time ago. Try Kraken instead of Pussers. Then it’s not a Painkiller but it is very tasty.
Tanks ATP!

F

:o
Luna where'd you... I mean, how....
(passes out from shock)

On 2015-08-10 21:44, lunavideogames wrote:

Yay!
:)

I don't know Finky, I just lucked out that I have good friends! My friend said he was getting some and I said I would take them. I tried not to ask too many questions...

A bottle of Havana Club 7 and a bottle of Santiago De Cuba. Anxious to try soon as I shake dis Jet lag. Edited to add pic. Check out the cool tin that the HC7 came in.lag

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-15 14:30 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-15 14:31 ]

B

I was checking if the Coruba dark and Barbancourt 8yo were restocked, but no so I picked up an Appleton "reserve" rather than leave empty-handed. Every other week the rum selection is different at this place.

B

On 2015-10-11 21:28, bkrownd wrote:

I was checking if the Coruba dark and Barbancourt 8yo were restocked, but no so I picked up an Appleton "reserve" rather than leave empty-handed. Every other week the rum selection is different at this place.

The Appleton on ice was just not satisfying me, so I opened my last bottle of Barbancourt 8yo last night. ...and there was much rejoicing! After giving in to a second round of Barbancourt I decided to check this morning whether Barbancourt was back in stock, but no luck.

I bought their last bottle of Zaya 12yo so I'd have something new to try. (It seems to be out of production?)

edit: they put another bottle on the shelf, maybe they have a bunch of NOS Zaya 12yo in the back. I didn't like it a lot straight but found a use for it in mixed drinks.

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-11-07 12:27 ]

S

Giving this a try tonight. New Australian rum from a bar up north in Queensland that supposedly has over 500 rums. It's named after the original electrical substation that the bar is built on. I'm interested to see what it's like. Has to be better than Bundy (Bundaberg).

Well, lookee what I found... bought all four!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-11-12 19:50 ]

While in Oklahoma City, I ran across a bottle of 10 Cane. I have not been able to find any in Texas and figured I was out of luck until I saw this lonely bottle sitting on the shelf. This goes on the "special friends only" shelf at home.

Rick

On 2015-11-23 11:42, rbeyer68 wrote:
While in Oklahoma City, I ran across a bottle of 10 Cane. I have not been able to find any in Texas and figured I was out of luck until I saw this lonely bottle sitting on the shelf. This goes on the "special friends only" shelf at home.

Rick

What city are you in? Pretty sure I've seen this on the shelves in Austin but never picked it up due to the mixed reviews I've read on here.

R

I am in Plano. It is one of those rums that does get mixed reviews but I always liked it. Production ceased this year so I had been looking for a bottle with no luck.

[ Edited by: rbeyer68 2015-11-24 06:59 ]

J

Finally got a bottle of Smith & Cross, which I can NEVER seem to find out here. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

EDIT: Oh my days...I think I'm in love.

[ Edited by: HopeChest 2015-11-25 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-12-19 20:55 ]

I am not a fan of cap’n Morgan or Sailor Jerry distillates. I am guilty of buying rum cuz I like the bottle or their swag. So at Hi Times today I could not resist this.

The color and finish of the bottle sorta resembles a cannon ball. !2.99,750ml, 70 proof.
Btw, I also snagged a small bottle of Banks (100 ml @ 2.99) If I don’t like it-nobig loss.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-12-19 21:27 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-12-20 18:56 ]

On 2015-12-19 20:54, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
I am not a fan of cap’n Morgan or Sailor Jerry distillates.

You know, I wasn't either until I tried Captain Morgan's Private Stock - that stuff's absolutely delicious. A dessert rum, if you will, but a lovely little tipple. It's particularly good at 10a when one needs a bit of the hair of the dog...

I do quite like the bottle on this one!

On 2015-12-20 14:38, HopeChest wrote:

On 2015-12-19 20:54, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
I am not a fan of cap’n Morgan or Sailor Jerry distillates.

You know, I wasn't either until I tried Captain Morgan's Private Stock - that stuff's absolutely delicious. A dessert rum, if you will, but a lovely little tipple. It's particularly good at 10a when one needs a bit of the hair of the dog...

I do quite like the bottle on this one!

Mahalo HopeChest, I’m gonna give it a try.I do like the sweeter rums.
Cheers

K

I'm told that Captain Morgan Private Stock tastes similar to Zaya.

S

most recent purchases were a couple of antique rums bottled in the 1950s

R

Nice. Very cool.

Rick

K

Thank goodness - the Walmart all the way on the other side of town has restocked with Cruzan Light and Aged, both at about $7.80 a bottle. Ridiculous! Seriously the only reason I even go to Walmart. So, yeah: purchased both Cruzan rums.

W

While I just mistakenly bought the wrong Lemon Hart (Original over 151), I also saw a bottle of Pussers which I'll probably pick up with a bottle of Smith & Cross, after I heard good things about it.

The whole idea of rum rarity is a very new concept to me, I feel if the brand is really obscure and I've only seen it in one cocktail I should probably pick up a bottle to diversify my collection :wink:

Warboys - the Pussers has an amazing aroma! Surprisingly I don't recall sipping it... Also, if you see some Ron Pampero Aniversario from Brazil, pick that up because it's truly an amazingly smooth sipping rum. And with the Pusser's you can make Pusser's Painkillers which are often a hit with folks less familiar with cocktails.

There are a lot of good rum tasting posts here on Tiki Central which can help you diversify your rum collection. It's a fun endeavor because there are so many interesting variations out there, like the Lemon Hart and the Smith & Cross choices.

I still don't see your purchase of Lemon Hart 80 as a mistake - there are many here in the US mainland that envy your find.

As for the Pusser's, you should really make sure not to grab the 80 proof version. The 109 proof Pusser'S is the one to go for.

[ Edited by: Poltergeist 2016-01-08 09:05 ]

On 2016-01-08 07:08, AceExplorer wrote:
Warboys - the Pussers has an amazing aroma! Surprisingly I don't recall sipping it... Also, if you see some Ron Pampero Aniversario from Brazil, pick that up because it's truly an amazingly smooth sipping rum. And with the Pusser's you can make Pusser's Painkillers which are often a hit with folks less familiar with cocktails.

There are a lot of good rum tasting posts here on Tiki Central which can help you diversify your rum collection. It's a fun endeavor because there are so many interesting variations out there, like the Lemon Hart and the Smith & Cross choices.

I still don't see your purchase of Lemon Hart 80 as a mistake - there are many here in the US mainland that envy your find.

isnt Pampero from Venezuela?

R

I splurged a bit with some Christmas gift money.

Samaroli Caribbean 2003
Damoiseau Virgin Cane Rum

S

This arrived in the mail today.

Never heard about it before. I was looking at a local stores online catalogue and this looked interesting so i thought i'd buy a bottle. It wasn't cheap so i hope it's good. On opening i can smell that it has a quite a pleasant floral aroma (I can't say i know what hibiscus actually smells like) but i can't pick up on any coconut at all, although my sense of smell is not so great so maybe it's there and i just can't notice it. I'm looking forward to trying it.

K

Went ahead and bought a 1.75 liter bottle of Kirkland Signature Spiced Rum - indeed nothing special, but I did a side by side comparison with Seven Tiki and found the color to be nearly identical. Aroma and taste for each individual rum was aligned in the same fashion where Seven Tiki smelled and tasted a little more vanilla, and Kirkland a little less so but a bit more pungent, but I'm sure that's due to its 92 proof. In either case the taste in mixed drinks wasn't distinguishable so I'll likely be buying this as my spiced rum until I deem fit otherwise.

Finally went to Malahat Spirits for a tasting. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but was fairly impressed.
Picked up a bottle of the ginger later on. I bet someone who knows what they're doing could make a really good drink outta this!

Oddly enough, we also tasted the Kirkland spiced rum there, too. I thought that was really super vanilla, but haven't tried the Seven Tiki in a long time. Not really my thing. I thought the Malahat spiced was pretty good - all their flavors are real.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2016-01-11 21:40 ]

R

I live in Texas and even thought Costco recently started selling hard liquor, we don't get the Kirkland Signature brands due to the crazy liquor laws in Texas. The store is actually run by WBLiquors. Although you can get some good prices, overall it is not the same as Costco deals in other states.

Rick

On 2016-01-11 17:34, kkocka wrote:
Went ahead and bought a 1.75 liter bottle of Kirkland Signature Spiced Rum - indeed nothing special, but I did a side by side comparison with Seven Tiki and found the color to be nearly identical. Aroma and taste for each individual rum was aligned in the same fashion where Seven Tiki smelled and tasted a little more vanilla, and Kirkland a little less so but a bit more pungent, but I'm sure that's due to its 92 proof. In either case the taste in mixed drinks wasn't distinguishable so I'll likely be buying this as my spiced rum until I deem fit otherwise.

Went to my local Total Wine Store to replenish my Zaya stock.Found a bottle of Blue Chair Bay white rum in the clearance bin so I thought I would take a chance . I’m not a big fan of whites but it’s from Barbados and I like them Bajan rums. Anybody tried the Blue Chair Bay products?

K

I have not tried the Blue Chair stuff but I think it's just Kenny Chesney's trendy rum label. I mostly see the coconut and spiced coconut but I don't have any idea on the taste nor quality. How much was the discounted price?

On 2016-01-15 10:34, kkocka wrote:
I have not tried the Blue Chair stuff but I think it's just Kenny Chesney's trendy rum label. I mostly see the coconut and spiced coconut but I don't have any idea on the taste nor quality. How much was the discounted price?

KK, 1.75L at bout 20 bucks. Haven’t tasted it yet but put my nose to the open bottle and got a mild whiff of alcohol and nuttin more.
I think I’ll try it in a Rum barrel ,Hurricane Hayward kine. I usually use Meyers Platnium which has a lot of flavor for a white imho.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-01-18 21:52 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-01-16 00:02 ]

Opened a bottle of Banks 7 that I bought some time ago. Has a sweet and spicy nose , I like the taste neat but I think it’s better suited for a Mai tai .
Incidentally, the 7 means that this is a blend of rums (23) from 7 countries which include Trinidad, Jamaica, Guyana, Barbados, Guatemala, Panama and Java. At first I thought that it was a 7 year old. 26 to 45 bucks
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-01-15 23:59 ]

On 2016-01-15 23:55, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Opened a bottle of Banks 7 that I bought some time ago. Has a sweet and spicy nose , I like the taste neat but I think it’s better suited for a Mai tai .
Incidentally, the 7 means that this is a blend of rums (23) from 7 countries which include Trinidad, Jamaica, Guyana, Barbados, Guatemala, Panama and Java. At first I thought that it was a 7 year old. 26 to 45 bucks
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-01-15 23:59 ]

Indonesian rum in the blend?! didnt kno there was such a thing. wonder what style it is...

Porp, I was surprised by the Java rum inn the blend.
Cheers

S

It's kinda rum. The base spirit is arrack which is a distilled alcoholic drink typically produced in South Asia and Southeast Asia, made from either the fermented sap of coconut flowers, sugarcane, grain (e.g. red rice) or fruit, depending upon the country of origin.
When i first got into cocktails i could swear the large chain store here carried it but i never bought any. Recently i've been seeing its name pop up in various places and was able to track some down from another store. I've only opened it to give it a quick sample and it is very smooth and tasty. Looking forward to trying it in some cocktails.

I have been curious about the various types of Arrack. Please keep us posted on what you learn.

S

Several years ago now a friend of mine brought back some arrack from wherever it was she was on holiday and i had never heard of it at that time but it was surprisingly good from what i remember. I was expecting a neat spirit from somewhere in Asia to be quite rough, but it certainly wasn't the case at all. She actually gave me a nice bottle of it which i still have and haven't opened.

If you see some David i suggest you take the plunge and buy some. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia description of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrack

W

Got these to kick off my new hobby.

Unfortunately they didn't have Lemon Hart 151, but I've found an alternate supplier so hopefully I'll get that if I can find a few other bottles to save on shipping

On 2016-01-27 10:08, Warboys wrote:

Unfortunately they didn't have Lemon Hart 151, but I've found an alternate supplier so hopefully I'll get that if I can find a few other bottles to save on shipping

A nice way to ramp up your options, Warboys! You'll find "the hobby" is very rewarding and worthwhile.

Making good cocktails is truly a service to mankind.

S

On 2016-01-27 10:08, Warboys wrote:

Now what you do is make a Mai Tai with;

Mount Gay/Bacardi
Mount Gay/Smith & Cross
Mount Gay/Appleton's
Mount Gay/Myer's
Mount Gay/Clement
Mount Gay/ Flor De Cana

and then;

Bacardi/Smith & Cross
Bacardi/Appleton's
Bacardi/Myer's
etc, etc,

until you go through every combination and then you can decide for yourself which combination YOU think works the best.

It's quite a few years ago now but when my home bar was at it's peak it had about 32 different rums and what i did was exactly like i just mentioned above, tried just about every rum with a different one in a Mai Tai trying to find a great combination. None of them were bad but the one i do recall as being a favourite was using Havana Club (i can't remember which one) with English Harbour. Boy i wish i had all those rums again.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies