Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

St James Royal Ambre.

on clearance at ABC for 16.99.!

K

Yesterday I replenished my missing Pyrat XO and Seven Tiki rums. Today I found a spare $20 so will be getting an "everyday" rum like Kraken or Sailor Jerry. Not quire sure which...

On 2013-11-23 12:50, thePorpoise wrote:
St James Royal Ambre.

on clearance at ABC for 16.99.!

Hopefully that doesn't mean ABC is going to stop carrying it. You put a 'Ti Punch bug in my ear last night and I put a good dent in my Royal Ambre bottle revisiting that cocktail several times.

A

A litre of Coruba dark (courtesy of duty free & my cousin from Oz!) :)

T

Koloa Kaua'i Gold

T

Koloa Kaua'i Gold

This has me puzzled. While looking for “regular” Kahl’ua among the myriad flavored Kahl’uas on the market shelf I thought that I’d finally found it. It looked like the regular stuff at first til I noticed that it was marked “rum and coffee Liqueur” just below the big letters Kahl’ua.
Intrigued, I bought it anyway to try in my Mexican Coffees this evening.I compared the bottle to some I’d bought years ago in Baja.
The Baja label simlpy identifies the contents as “ liicor de cafe (kahl’ua)” Did something change during the past 2 years while I was enjoying the no longer available Trader Vic’s Kona coffee liquor?
Mahalo
Btw, The rum/Kalh’ua has a very pleasant “nose”-I’m anxious to give it a try.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-07 23:41 ]

Does make a good drink. I like it mo betta then the regular stuff.
Cheers

I have made many “Mexican offee’s” with rum/Kahlua and I think the “new stuff is superior. The original was much too sweet for my taste. I have only found the “new stuff” at the several supermrkt’s that I frequent. Hmmm.

K

Zaya Rum Vap box - unfortunately no good pics of it online, but got 2 glasses with a standard bottle for the same price. Sharing at work!

Bought some “Kirk and Sweeney” at Hi-Times. Read a few reviews and Trayce at Hi-Tims thought I would enjoy it after I told him of my personal favorites. Gonna try a sip soon!
Cheers
Btw, first thing that grabs my eye when browsing the rum section is the bottle. I then read reviews and talk to others before I decide to buy. Got many good ones and also some I’ll never touch again.

Editing this post four days later;

This rum has a fairly strong alcohol nose and a mildly pronounced “bite”right outta the bottle. Not as sweet as most of the reveiws I read indicated. I let it breathe a few minutes and found it more to my liking. i added one small ice cube and I now have four rums that I like to “sip” . Appleton 21, the double Z’s, Zaya and Zacapa, and Kirk and Sweeney. Not a bad price at Hi-Times (under 30 bucks).

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-23 21:47 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-23 21:48 ]

K

Finally got ahold of a bottle of Smith & Cross. My only problem is that my bar at home is at full vacancy, and that I'm unsure of the "best" way to use it other than being a knockout star in a Mai Tai. I'd love some suggestions.

I use it in a Mai Tai all the time along with Appleton. But instead of 1 oz of each, I use 1.5 oz Appleton and .5 oz of Smith Cross.

On 2014-01-16 15:55, kkocka wrote:
Finally got ahold of a bottle of Smith & Cross. My only problem is that my bar at home is at full vacancy, and that I'm unsure of the "best" way to use it other than being a knockout star in a Mai Tai. I'd love some suggestions.

If you are an amaro fan, you'll probably did the Kingston Negroni. Equal parts Smith&Cross, Campari and sweet vermouth (or a bit less if using Punt e Mes as I think the recipe originally called for). Build over ice cubes in a double rocks glass, stir, enjoy.

A

I find Smith & Cross a bit of a strange rum (not bad, just way funky) - I thought it was pretty good in drinks where it can take centre stage. Try it in a Montego Bay :)

Latest purchase a couple hours ago at K&B in Del Cerro - more Diplomatico (Exclusiva), and Koloa Dark. Yum!

S&C works in all kind of drinks...Jasper's Jamaican, 1/2 of a Mai Tai, Daquiri, the gold Jamaican in a Zombie(perhaps somewhat reduced/mixed 50/50 with say, Coruba) ...in fact the recipe off the back of the bottle(Millionaire?) is good. Yes it's a dominant taste, but it's a great one!

W

Bought some Kohala Bay Dark. Makes a dry Mai Tai and a mighty tasty Bora Bora!

D

Favorite most recent purchase is ED 21 year

Normally not a fan of sipping rums as I prefer cocktails most of the time, but if one rum is going to change your opinion about sipping rums this is it

I love demerara rum, took a chance with this one and am very happy

Dapuma, how much did it set you back?

Found these in Florida. Tried for Koala Bay but they were out and getting more the next day. Too bad.

AceExplorer - I saw a bottle of ED 21 in FL at Sunset Liquors for $89.99. I was tempted but on vacation, so I passed.

D

On 2014-01-21 11:03, AceExplorer wrote:
Dapuma, how much did it set you back?

It is normally $100 but i got it on 10% off sale for $90

Most expensive rum I have ever purchased, and was somewhat apprehensive to do so...however it is worth it if you like sippers or are a big demerrara fan

I like LH LH 151 and ED 12 / 15 so i pulled the trigger on it, i would recommend getting some snifters for it if you don't have them already, crate and barrel have some nice small ones that are $5-$6

Thanks, Dapuma, that's great information! I see some pricey limited production aged rums on the shelves from time to time, and I think about buying.

Great advice on the snifters, too. Sometimes when you don't want a whole cocktail, but you want some sort of "Scooby snack," a good sipping rum will scratch that itch.

D

On 2014-01-24 04:49, AceExplorer wrote:
Thanks, Dapuma, that's great information! I see some pricey limited production aged rums on the shelves from time to time, and I think about buying.

Great advice on the snifters, too. Sometimes when you don't want a whole cocktail, but you want some sort of "Scooby snack," a good sipping rum will scratch that itch.

Exactly, sometimes you don't have the ingredients nor do you want to create a 13 step cocktail, you just want delicious rum now - this stuff will cover that itch

My friends had purchased a few rare Agricole's sippers that we tried out and they were okay but nothing compared to this - Limited JM Rhum and something else, one I had never seen or heard of which was an impressive find but not as amazing in the glass (to me at least - quite funky and unique though - ill have to ask them to send me the bottle picture so i can track down what they were)

Today I bought Appleton V/X and Wray & Nephew. At halftime or before I'll be mixing up some mai tai's.

Thanks for all the posts of rum in this sub-forum. I'm learning a lot.

W&N Overproof? dag, girl, you like a scrong mai-tai..!!

Guess I'm not a "strong drink" girl! It's only "eh" in the mai tai! What else can I use it in is the question.

In my defense, the rum selections in my area (central NJ) are quite lacking. I grabbed the Wray & Nephew b/c I recognized the name from here but it wasn't my fav mai tai. I'll try it again with non-original recipe, maybe some juice (please don't throw rocks) will make the final product more palatable. But strong is right, I'm hitting the bottom and not caring that this Superbowl is horrible! LOL

just use 2 oz of the V/X for your mai-tai, it will be great.

W&N Overproof is known as tasting like kerosene and being an acquired-taste. Many folks use it solely as a preservative in their home-made syrups and tinctures. jamaicans add it to their milk at bedtime (i like this, with cacao added as well). it tastes to me like karo syrup.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2014-02-02 18:33 ]

I love J Wray Overproof but it is very much an acquired taste and it's a challenge to tame the beast in cocktails. It makes a great combination rum in Planters Punch style drinks and it pairs superbly with the "Jasper's Mix" combination of lime juice, sugar, Angostura Botters and nutmeg. I'm also fond of H Wray and Ting Jamaican grapefruit soda with a good squeeze of lime.

I have to admit I have not tried it in milk and my stomach just turned a little thinking about it. But there are plenty of milk punch cocktails I love so maybe I need to give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

S

I agree with thePorpoise. 2 oz of V/X will make a fine mai tai. I personally don't think it is absolutely necessary to use two different rums at all, especially if the one you use is good to start with.

And W + N is definitely an acquired taste. As is Chartruese, but the two of them together with falernum and lime juice in a Nuclear Daiquiri make a damn tasty, albeit strong, drink.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2014-02-03 16:13 ]

[ Edited by: swizzle 2014-02-03 16:13 ]

KD

If you like Smith & Cross, you should check out the J Wray Overproof(or vice versa), it's brings the funk/hogo I like in a Jamaican rum. Really like it in the Jasper's Jamaican, as outlined in Haigh's "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" book

A

On 2014-02-02 16:20, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Today I bought Appleton V/X and Wray & Nephew...

Good choices Lori!

I originally made my mai tais with straight VX, its got a kick! I figure it should a luxury drink so I make it a bit softer nowadays. VX is one of those rums I try out in different drinks again & again.

W&N tastes exactly like what it is - 'white' 'overproof' 'jamaican' rum.

You dont need to put huge amounts in a drink to give a flavour, a half shot of W&N & a shot of normal rum will add something.

My girlfriends favorite daiquiri is equal parts W&N & triple sec, 1 part lime, 1/2 sugar syrup... enjoy :)

W

Latest rum purchase: Received two bottles of Cana Brava 3 year today. Gonna spend some time with Beachbum's new book this weekend.

H

Got a bottle of R.L. Seale's 10 yrs. from a friend last night.
I have no idea what to do with this and what recipe to use it in. I think it is a sipping rum, any suggestions?
It says the company started making quality rum in Barbados during 1620's. and the island inhabitants, Bajans, (love that name, it is mentioned a lot in Beachbums new book) favor this rum.

On 2014-02-13 17:03, hiltiki wrote:
Got a bottle of R.L. Seale's 10 yrs. from a friend last night.

It says the company started making quality rum in Barbados during 1620's. and the island inhabitants, Bajans, (love that name, it is mentioned a lot in Beachbums new book) favor this rum.

iirc, they make Doorly's; Taylor Velvet Falernum; and many other product brands

cruzan black strap.

i had hoped my recollection of this being a lousy rum was merely the product of a foggy memory; but alas, this rum still sucks.

On 2014-02-13 19:58, thePorpoise wrote:
cruzan black strap.

i had hoped my recollection of this being a lousy rum was merely the product of a foggy memory; but alas, this rum still sucks.

Cruzan Blackstrap is absolutely indespensible in Corn 'N Oils. Equal parts Blackstrap and good homemade Falernum with a nice ginger and clove bite is one of the best drinks you'll ever have.

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-02-13 20:25 ]

I prefer mine with Gosling's Black Seal.

K

I, too, use the Blackstrap for Corn N Oil. I think I recall somebody here saying they occasionally use it as a float in their Navy Grog as well.

Finally got hold of this stuff. Best sipping rum ever!

Two winners right there. I prefer the 15 as a sipper (one of my favorites), but a Mai Tai made with ED 12 and Appleton 12 is pretty much perfection.

I discovered the El Dorado 15 a few months ago and there's no turning back. The 12 by itself with an ice cube also does the trick for a whole lot cheaper.

A

Hang10tiki, I have both them - good rhum/rums!

Stocking up on dark rum:

Pussers, come to Papa, I've missed you :)

:)

I just bought Smith & Cross and Rhum Barbancourt 5 star (the 8 year).

I recognized the names from this forum. I've been searching non-stop for Lemonhart in NJ but have no success. I almost bought the el Dorado. I'm also looking to add the Clement to my collection but haven't spotted it yet. I can find a lot online but I don't want to pay for shipping.

A visit to the local LCBO store today resulted in a happy surprise. They've never had this in the 14 years I've lived here so there was no chance I was leaving without one. I might even go back for another just in case it's a one time thing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies