Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

Mike, it is pretty easy at the SD border crossing. I have never had any issues. They only let you bring 1 per person, but I just say I have a bottle of booze. If they asked I would likely say it is tequila, cause they rarely check. My friends cross all the time so I always am well stocked.

My friend is the only one who had trouble with it one time. He said that he was bringing back rum (which is stupid IMO) and then the guard asked what kind. He told them Havana Club and they said that he can't bring that. He argued (again stupid IMO) that the embargo has been lifted. The agent made him bring it back to Mexico, essentially sending him to the back of the long border crosing line and throwing away the bottle and the money he spent on it.

A

Picked up some duty free after a recent trip to Denmark:

The bottle on the right is Aquavit (which I only got out of curiosity so I'll be able to cross the Pegleg Punch & Viking Fogcutter off in my Tiki+ app).

You may not know about the rum on the left - it's one of a series of European travel exclusives bottled by Bacardi - it's aged 5 years max so I'm thinking it'll be like Appleton VX rather than a sipper (which is fine because I use that in Rum Old Fashioneds & I'm nearly out). The other one they currently do is Dominican but I gave that one a miss this trip.

The Johnny Walker was just because they were giving them out on the plane!

The Viking Fogcutter is one of my faves. Try it and let us know your thoughts. I use the Linie Aquavit, but I'm sure the Aalborg will be good too.

On 2016-03-06 00:19, kkocka wrote:

On 2016-03-04 21:14, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Anyone try Trader Joe’s “Rum of the Gods”? The 6.99 price (California) has me a bit leery.

Keep in mind that it can't be worse than Bacardi. At one WalMart near me I can get a 750ml bottle of Cruzan for $7, so don't let price be the sole influence.

KK, I was in Trader Joe’s today so I went ahead and grabbed a bottle of their rum. The nose is harsh ( very strong on the alcohol).
I just had to taste it. Not bad except for the finish-also very harsh. Gonna try it in some drinks that have a lot of ingredients and see how it goes.
Cheers

S

The big chain store here no longer stocks apricot brandy, which i love, so i ventured out to a tiny liquor store i know that carries some unusual stuff. I picked up my bottle of apricot brandy and while i was there i saw this bottle of Arrack.

Now i've only ever tried Arrack once and it was a looong time ago, but i do remember that i was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. A friend had bought some back with her from wherever it was she had been and she actually gave me a small bottle in a nice ceramic container. It's still sealed but in storage so i have no idea of the brand.

After trying the Arrack pictured above neat, the stuff that i tried must have definitely been Batavia Arrack, as i remember that it was very rum-like, however this stuff, although having a pleasant nose, is not very smooth at all, having more of a whiskey taste, and i cannot pick up on any coconut flavour at all, which was extremely disappointing as i love coconut flavoured anything.
I'll have to try it in some cocktails next to see what it's like when mixed.

Here's a couple of links to the product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrack#Sri_Lanka

http://srilankanarrack.com/old-reserve.html

K

On 2016-03-24 19:01, swizzle wrote:
...from wherever it was she had been...

Indonesia.

From Java - Batavia Arrack is made from sugar cane and rice.

S

I'm aware of that komohana, but whether or not it was actually Indonesia she bought it back from, i have no idea. It was about 8 or 9 years ago so i just don't remember.

K

Have drunk enough of it to kill a bull elephant...

The life size wahine is in Bali right now, I'll see if she can bring some back...

crikey - hope that's not why there aren't too many elephants left...

cripes - hope drink'n Sake don't extinct the whales...

Christ - say it aint so !!

[ Edited by: komohana 2016-03-25 18:38 ]

K

On 2016-03-24 20:50, komohana wrote:

... I'll see if she can bring some back...

bummer, the girls got sick with the flu - and it was short notice - so she could only see if there was any at the airport there on her way back..

So picked up some duty free booze at the Perth airport instead.. :D

The Balinese Arak is similar to the Sri Lankan - made from coconut buds.

Spent some time in the Northern Territory where the good stuff was generally available, but that was 25 years or so ago...
Seem to remember a couple different brands but can't recall the names - liked to drink it though.

People used to bring it back all the time here - years ago - but since moving back to Perth from the Pacific coast
can't say that I've seen any recently, not that I've looked for it... will check the local outlets but their websites don't show any.

Anyone in Western Australia seen any for sale?

Picked up a bottle of Barbancourt white. Anxious to try it out. Anyone have suggested uses for it?

These fellas were on the clearance rack for the same price as bacardi. Based on some favorable reviews in an old thread I decided to stock up, but I left a few on the rack for my fellow rum enthusiasts.

K

On 2016-03-28 04:33, komohana wrote:
An interesting aside, for anyone who cares -

Now, back to the RUM...

Thanks for posting that info. I found the history very interesting and think it would make a good movie. Their ship very likely had rum a fair amount of rum aboard. I also found it interesting to read that there are a number of very nice replica masted sailing ships in Western Australia.

On 2016-03-23 23:13, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

On 2016-03-06 00:19, kkocka wrote:

On 2016-03-04 21:14, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Anyone try Trader Joe’s “Rum of the Gods”? The 6.99 price (California) has me a bit leery.

Keep in mind that it can't be worse than Bacardi. At one WalMart near me I can get a 750ml bottle of Cruzan for $7, so don't let price be the sole influence.

KK, I was in Trader Joe’s today so I went ahead and grabbed a bottle of their rum. The nose is harsh ( very strong on the alcohol).
I just had to taste it. Not bad except for the finish-also very harsh. Gonna try it in some drinks that have a lot of ingredients and see how it goes.
Cheers

Ha! I did the same thing!

It was very odd but when we popped the bottle there was no nose - it literally had no smell. Poured a bit in a glass and BAM! Very antiseptic. Took a sip and it tasted like it smelled: hospital with notes of caramel. My impression was that I would really only ever be happy that I bought it if I had pulled over on the side of the road in the desert to change a flat, got bitten by a snake, and desperately needed something for the wound.

As a result, I was loathe to try it in a drink but I like nui 'umi 'umi's idea of trying it in a drink with a lot of ingredients. I think I'll do that, some falernum might work wonders. It's just going to collect dust otherwise.

HopeChest, The 2nd time I opened that rum it had absolutely no nose.
Cheers ????

On 2016-03-26 15:12, mikehooker wrote:
Picked up a bottle of Barbancourt white. Anxious to try it out. Anyone have suggested uses for it?

ive used it for Ti Ponch, in a cuba libre, and in a mai tai. i like it!

Plantation Stiggins'Fancy (finally available in Germany!) accompanied by two small (500ml each) but powerful (110 & 130 proof) fellows.

K
kkocka posted on Tue, Apr 5, 2016 9:10 PM

In preparation for my next tiki night (Cocktails of the Mai Kai) I bought one new rum and restocked others that I know won't we survive the night if I don't have extra in my cabinet:

-Appleton Signature Blend 750ml
-Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum 1L
-Cruzan Aged Light Rum 750ml
-Kohala Bay Dark Jamaican Rum 1.75L

Very excited for the Kohala Bay and will likely reserve it only for Mai Kai cocktails in the future.

Keith, where did you find the Kohala Bay?

On 2016-04-07 13:28, lunavideogames wrote:

I tried ordering it from Sunset Corners, even got a few friends to go in on 6 bottles to maximize shipping and they let me go through with the payment only to email me the next day saying sorry we don't ship to Texas. My last bottle is getting dangerously low. I need a kind soul in Florida to pick me up some and send it this way!!!!!!

K

On 2016-04-07 13:28, lunavideogames wrote:

The only place it seems to be available online is through Sunset Corners. The bottle is about $24 but the S/H is about $26. That's a big tough to swallow but you figure 1.75L of a hard to acquire rum is sorta worth it, but again it's only going to be reserved for Mai Kai tribute cocktails. I ordered on a Wed and received it the following Tuesday.

Thanks for the info. Cheers!

New things to play with.

K

Made from the sugar cane's primary product - and not molasses -
falls on uncle Arrack's side of the family rather than cousin Rum's.

Quite sweet and dangerously drinkable - does pack a punch - 100 proof.

Served here neat, with a nice cold glass of coconut water. :D

Something new for the reserve. Really tasty; rather light but stops short of being dry, more like semi-sweet. Dangerously smooth for 94 proof.

Kirk and Sweeney 12 and 23 yr. old and a bottle of Zaya. Zaya is 19 bucks right now at Hi Times in Costa Mesa.
K & S 12 is a must have for Rum Babalu’s.
Cheers

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Plus some more El Dorado 15 year.

A

Picked up three today:

EC12 = a restock Ive never really mixed with but the Death & Co book recommends in a few drinks (including the Boulivardier)

MGXO = one I've tried, purchased to see if I enjoy having a bottle on hand to sip neat

The Stiggins Fancy was just to satisfy my curiosity!

Besides joining the pineapple party with a diaquiri or drinking it neat - anyone got any other suggestions for trying it out?

C

Picked up Cruzan in the spirit of traveling to St. Croix in a week. Haven't tried a drop yet- I picked bitter oranges, took the zest off in long swathes, poured rum over it, and will add sugar later for a curaçao style treat!

I have another small jar going with Texas peaches. That one will get cardamom, black pepper, long pepper, and clove.

On 2016-05-02 13:45, AdOrAdam wrote:

Besides joining the pineapple party with a diaquiri or drinking it neat - anyone got any other suggestions for trying it out?

I ran out of gin one night whilst making Royal Hawaiian gin cocktails and subbed Stiggins Fancy on a whim. Delicious.

On 2016-05-02 13:45, AdOrAdam wrote:

Negronis with this instead of gin are great. Pineapple Plantation goes well with Orange Bitters. I have been working on a recipe for an Urban Bird, but I haven't perfected it yet... :(

R

I was able to bring a few items back with me from Ireland and the UK. I think it was a successful trip.

I am really looking forward to the Coole Swan as I have heard great things about it.

The Jameson distillery reserve is only available at the distillery (well, I guess not just the actual working distillery but at the old site in Dublin with the tours). The Tullamore Dew was an airport duty free purchase. The cider cask part of it was intriguing as my significant other and I love ciders.

The r(h)ums! If you go to London, make a stop at Gerry's Wine and Spirits in Soho. Wow! I regret not getting a bottle of Havana Club 3 Anos but did score two demerara's so I am happy.

Rick in Texas

[ Edited by: rbeyer68 2016-05-09 11:03 ]

Rick -- way to go and load up your suitcases with good stuff!

S

Not actually rum but i know i can make some rum cocktails with it. I don't actually drink coffee but i do like coffee flavoured things, so i lashed out and bought a bottle of this.

This was specifically made for those bars that don't have a coffee machine on the premises so they could still serve Espresso Martinis (which i don't drink either).
It's actually very nice drunk just neat, tastes exactly like having a black coffee, albeit alcoholic, but at $60 a bottle i don't think i'll buy it again.

P.S. It says on the label that it is made from a cold pressed blend of speciality Arabica coffee and pure Australian grain spirit.

A

On 2016-05-09 11:03, rbeyer68 wrote:
I was able to bring a few items back with me from Ireland and the UK. I think it was a successful trip.

If you go to London, make a stop at Gerry's Wine and Spirits in Soho. Wow!

Hi Rick

Glad you made it over here & I hope you enjoyed it!

Re the Angostura Amaro - where did you get it & how much please?

Gerrys in Soho is the best of the best so I'm guessing there :)

I think it's about time I share my opinion on a few rums I've tried recently. I rarely feel the need to post a 'full' review but these are two really good products so here we go:

A week or so ago I posted a pic that I had brought some Mount Gay XO - now I've broken the seal on it, I've got to say I really enjoy it.

It's really nicely balanced - a little dry on the aftertaste in a good way, fiery & woody but not too much.

I'm not finding cause to use words like vanilla or sweet unless it's to say they are absent. It's akin to Appleton 12 but without the Jamaican edge.

I was so impressed when I spotted a bottle of Black Barrel cheap so picked that up too:

I read a couple of reviews online & was expecting a bourbon / rum cross over (ie rum with a big kick) or a little brother to the XO.

In comparison of the two side by side, on first sip the Black Barrel is softer & appears much more approachable - it makes the XO seem a little over oaked (which I hadn't thought tasting it solo).

After a little time in the glass the Black Barrel opens up with vanilla in the forefront & really well balanced after that - my partner (not keen sipper but knowing what she likes) preferred the Black Barrel immediately.

The reviews comparing Black Barrel to bourbon are a bit far from the mark IMO - I guess they are getting that idea from the 'double aging' used in Jim Beam Devils Cut etc.

I love bourbon & was curious what a bourbon / rum cross over might taste like but this ain't it.

Returning to the XO another time, it's still great solo - if anything you really notice the absence of vanilla in the XO & appreciate it.

The XO has definitely got that oakiness when you think about it but I'd describe it as a 'mature sipper' & let that be you guide for if I wanted to sip it (it makes me take my time with it too).

I pulled out the end of a bottle of Cockspur 12 I've got to compare both to (it's not available in the UK so I had been keeping the last little bit to compare to Mount Gay XO).

I enjoyed it when I have drank it previously now in comparison to the XO, the Cockspur 12 has got all the 'mature' characteristics of XO but turned up a notch, far more 'mature' than the Black Barrel. Maybe even a bit too fiery & dry in comparison to the XO, I think the XO is preferable.

All this is based on my sipping preferences, I rarely have cause to mix higher shelf Bajan rums but will try them out more.

Given that the price is about the same for the two Mount Gays, for the next little while I probably have one them the other to appreciate the differences. I'd probably opt for the XO for sipping because I like a little more 'mature' sipper (& know my partner won't want any).

But If i saw the Black Barrel cheap I would pick it up, I do rate it - it just definitely has vanilla as a flavour that you've got to want.

The Black Barrel will replace the Angostura 1919 as my sipper for 'uninitiated guests' who don't sip a lot of rum - I think it's superior. I'm pretty sure they'll like it & I could enjoy it too.

Although this isn't exactly my taste for regular sipping, qudos to Mount Gay for achieving it.

R
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.