Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

DC

On 2017-03-04 11:35, HopeChest wrote:

On 2017-03-03 18:55, Dr. Coruba wrote:

Hamo: HopeChest knows her Emeryville Mai Tai, it is 2 oz.

Hahahaha, that would be "his", actually! Happens frequently online. It's my band's name.

Very sorry, embarrassed, but laughing. I'm sure you do! In my case, many lifetimes ago I sold furniture. A very popular item for Christmas, graduations, and weddings was parents buying Hope Chests for their daughters. Old cultural memories die hard.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2017 8:10 PM

Thanks, Doc and Hope (dude). In my "little" but much visited Colorado mountain town, one place has Trader Vic's spiced rum, and I've seen the macadamia nut liqueur in the big city, but generally I haven't heard great things about their rums, so the Royal Amber is intriguing. Not sure I want to commit to ordering a 1L bottle (especially only to use it in a Mai Tai), so maybe I'll just have to go try it in person in Emeryville, since I missed Trader Vic's when visiting San Francisco last year. That sounds like a better use of my money....

Speaking of rum availability at my local liquor stores, another place has Coruba Spiced and Mango rums but not Dark, which is what I really want to try. Do you suppose I should ask if they can gett the Dark? I don't exactly see the other Coruba flying off the shelf.

DC

On 2017-03-06 20:10, Hamo wrote:
Speaking of rum availability at my local liquor stores, another place has Coruba Spiced and Mango rums but not Dark, which is what I really want to try. Do you suppose I should ask if they can gett the Dark? I don't exactly see the other Coruba flying off the shelf.

If they won't or don't, Hi-Time can fix you up. It is a really terrific dark for a wide range of Tiki drinks.
https://www.hitimewine.net/coruba-jamaican-dark-rum-1l-106440

Lemon-Hart 151 and Coruba. I'm going to make my own 86 proof Demerara and still have some 151 left over. Instructions are here:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5778

On 2017-03-08 16:19, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Lemon-Hart 151 and Coruba. I'm going to make my own 86 proof Demerara and still have some 151 left over. Instructions are here:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5778

A while back I diluted some red label LH151 down to 80 proof and compared it to my friends old yellow label 80 proof LH and they were virtually indistinguishable. I need to do that again.

Hey! Woo-hoo! Look what I just bought! I'm livin' life large, like a lottery winner!

Just kidding... REALLY! The only Bacardi I have is 151, and it's not for drinking but for burning.

:) :drink:

On 2017-03-09 11:41, AceExplorer wrote:
Hey! Woo-hoo! Look what I just bought! I'm livin' life large, like a lottery winner!

Just kidding... REALLY! The only Bacardi I have is 151, and it's not for drinking but for burning.

:) :drink:

It's a shame that 1909 was a limited thing. At $20 for a bottle I would have made it my standard pour for aged whites if I could get it all the time.

Can't pass up this price

WHOA! That's, like, half price!

Just went to a local grocery store and bought their last bottle of Kirk & Sweeney 12 year on closeout for $17. I wish I had seen it sooner and bought several bottles.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Mar 17, 2017 5:03 PM

Just arrived from Hi-Time:

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2017 8:20 PM

If you're looking for Plantation Pineapple in Northern Colorado, Wilbur's in Fort Collins had it today. I say "had" because I took the last bottle off the shelf....

C

Just bought a bottle of Lost Spirits Navy Rum.

Restocking the bar.

Very nice. I love purchases like that.

Rick in Texas

On 2017-04-22 13:30, PalmtreePat wrote:

Restocking the bar.

Oh. My. DAYS. What a haul!

Mike, I showed the pix to my wife and she said "oh my gosh". I thought Oh S---, Mike stole a plane. Awesome!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-05-07 22:06 ]

Went to Hi-Time to get my stuff for this delicious drink as served at the Bali Hai on Shelter Island

PARALYZING PUFFERFISH

1 1/4 oz Fugu Horchata Vodka
1 1/4 oz Ballast Point 3 Sheets Barrel aged Rum
1/2 oz Cruzan aged 151 Rum
1/2 oz PassionFruit Syrup
Juice of 2 lime wedges
1 1`/2 oz Pineapple juice

Garnish; Pineapple-Cherry
Btw, Cutwater Spirits now owns the “3 sheets” nd Fugu name.
The liter bottle of Appleton VX was on the clearance rack for 28 bucks.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-05-07 22:35 ]

Nothing better than that Havana 3 in a daiquiri!

Hook got hooked up :)

Nui- nice
Thanks for the recipe
Picked up that Vodka too

Coupon came in the mail today
10% off

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-05-09 17:41 ]

Thanks for the full recipe, Nui. I don't think we ever used Passion Fruit Syrup when trying to make the Pufferfish at home; that could be just the ticket.

There's a small liquor store right near us that we had never checked out. Now that we know what's inside, we'll be returning regularly - picked up some of this. Yum!

You are welcome Amy. Yup, that Plantation is yummy!

On 2017-05-09 17:37, hang10tiki wrote:
Hook got hooked up :)

Nui- nice
Thanks for the recipe
Picked up that Vodka too

Coupon came in the mail today
10% off

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-05-09 17:41 ]

Jon, I noticed that your Fugu has Horchata printed on the bottle and still has the Ballast Point name on it. Mine does not have the Horchata tag and was bottled under the Cutwater label. I hope I got the right stuff.

Ah, I just looked at the picture more closely and it looks like you may have gotten the standard unflavored Fugu vodka, Nui.

They make 3 versions: unflavored, horchata, and habanero. Even with the new Cutwater branding at the top, the bottle should still say horchata or habanero for those varieties.

edit - I forgot to post the link:

http://cutwaterspirits.com/vodka/

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2017-05-11 11:43 ]

K

While in Europe last fall we stopped by a distillery in Liechtenstein and found this.

The family was very friendly and proud of their products. We got a nice tour with tastings of various products even though they weren't officially open when we first arrived. Of course we had to bring a few things back.

On 2017-05-10 11:29, bamalamalu wrote:
Ah, I just looked at the picture more closely and it looks like you may have gotten the standard unflavored Fugu vodka, Nui.

They make 3 versions: unflavored, horchata, and habanero. Even with the new Cutwater branding at the top, the bottle should still say horchata or habanero for those varieties.

edit - I forgot to post the link:

http://cutwaterspirits.com/vodka/

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2017-05-11 11:43 ]

Mahalo Amy

Really pleased with my day's shopping - some esoteric sippers plus I'm filling the overproof section in my cocktail cabinet! The OFTD is delicious, this is the first time I've tried it.

Had to go to Cali for these

You musta not heard- What’s bought in Cali stay’s in Cali! Wish we could of hooked up-I’d show you how Old Californio’s drink em up.
See ya at Oasis.

:)

Nui - Cutwater Spirits just opened their brand new distillery here in SD last Wednesday. I got to go on Saturday and I was very impressed! Lots of good food and drinks, even a lot of tiki ingredients used in their drinks. Tours every hour and cheap prices on their to go booze. Check it out next time you are in town.

On 2017-05-22 11:42, lunavideogames wrote:
Nui - Cutwater Spirits just opened their brand new distillery here in SD last Wednesday. I got to go on Saturday and I was very impressed! Lots of good food and drinks, even a lot of tiki ingredients used in their drinks. Tours every hour and cheap prices on their to go booze. Check it out next time you are in town.

Dat’s good news Treg-We‘ll be in your lovely city next week.
Later

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 22, 2017 7:51 PM

My first bottle of amber 151, and Mount Gay Eclipse for spiced rum

Hi times Wine Cellars was out of what I was looking for so I checked out the clearance shelves. The FPC Grog was 8 bucks. It’s 100 proof spiced rum, a bit on the sweet side but I’ll find a use for the 2 bottles I bought. The Ron Diaz was 5 bucks and I know nothing about it. We will see if the orgeat was worth 20 bucks(regular price). The Clement bottle is wild - I know the rum is good. I got it at regular price.

Pretty nice for the price!

On 2017-05-28 21:22, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Hi times Wine Cellars was out of what I was looking for so I checked out the clearance shelves. The FPC Grog was 8 bucks. It’s 100 proof spiced rum, a bit on the sweet side but I’ll find a use for the 2 bottles I bought. The Ron Diaz was 5 bucks and I know nothing about it. We will see if the orgeat was worth 20 bucks(regular price). The Clement bottle is wild - I know the rum is good. I got it at regular price.

Hehe. The clearance shelves lured me into buying a bottle of that Grog a couple of months ago. Cool bottle shape, fun label design, horrible drink. At least I did not care for it at all drinking it neat, maybe I can find a mixer that will make me happier.

I know I'm going out on a limb but I'm gonna go ahead and say it... "Don't trust Alaskan rum! (Especially when it is actually a 'vodka' pretending to be a rum.) But I'll drink most anything for $8 a bottle..." :D

I have also purchased the graffiti-bottle Clément VSOP and that orgeat in the past as well. I like the orgeat and put it on par with the Small-Hand one. Not overly sweet, with more of a drier, toastier almond flavor. Not as "marzipan-y" as some other brands can be.

I picked up a bottle of the Clément Rhum Agricole Vieux - Cask Collection when I was there earlier this week. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I have high hopes for it. (I normally prefer the Rhum JM agricoles over the Clément but I haven't tried either's vieux yet.)

edit: Ooh, I just saw that there is a 5 Minutes of Rum episode on the Clément Cask Collection Vieux. He seems to think it is like the VSOP only much more assertive.

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2017-06-09 22:49 ]

T

Most recent purchase

F

Damn, I wanna party with Tiki-boss! :wink:
For anyone who can't get Hamilton's or Lemon Hart nearby -and can import liquor across state lines- http://DrinkUpNY.com has both on sale right now. Hamilton Demerara 86 for $23 and 151 for $30. Navy Strength also $30.

Lemon Hart is $26 for the "1804 Original" and $37 for the 151.

Cheers!
:drink:

Nice haul. I've never mail ordered before. Surprised shipping was so low. Works out to less than $1 per bottle. And that price on Stiggins is great. It's usually $27-29 around me.

Total wine here in AZ is the only place I've seen it. And it's $42.99 plus tax!

It's hard to get decent rum here in AZ so Hi-times has been amazing. 9.99 flat rate shipping up to 12 bottles and 200 dollars. A dollar more for every 100 dollars after 200. The problem is I always make a big order to get the most out of the flat rate shipping. Here are 3 other orders I've made since late February

On 2017-06-11 18:06, Tiki-boss wrote:
It's hard to get decent rum here in AZ so Hi-times has been amazing. 9.99 flat rate shipping up to 12 bottles and 200 dollars. A dollar more for every 100 dollars after 200. The problem is I always make a big order to get the most out of the flat rate shipping. Here are 3 other orders I've made since late February

Nice-pretty reasonable shipping prices. I like your selections. Where didja say your place is?
Cheers

I'm in Phoenix Arizona. USA

Sorry, got into the Eclipse before the pic

[ Edited by: Tiki-boss 2017-06-20 22:12 ]

S

Plantation Stiggins Pineapple rum
Malahat Cabernet barrel rum

I had been under the impression that the local supply of Bacardi Heritage had been exhausted until I saw on the total wine website that the Rancho Cucamonga location had 7 bottles left in stock. Unfortunately, only 1 was on the shelf.

After two men spent the next half hour combing through the boxes above (many thanks fellas!), the other 6 finally revealed themselves, and my daiquiri game remains top notch for the near future.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies