Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

On 2017-08-24 15:07, mikehooker wrote:

On 2017-08-08 14:03, Early Landed Larry wrote:
Oh yeah - it's arrived!

Most looking forward to trying this in place of Wray & Nephew - any recommendations for a recipe that calls for unaged overproof pot still run?

Larry, that looks amazing. I've not been fortunate enough to try any of the Velier stuff yet.

This is my favorite application for Wray:
http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jaspers-rum-punch/

At 151, you might wanna cut it to 1.25 oz rum or up the other ratios so you don't die.

Hey Mike! Thanks for the recommendation. I mean to do a little review of this rum - initially i struggled to get it to sit with anything because it's so fiercely flavourful, it totally dominates most drinks if you substitute it wholesale for something else. As you alluded, it needs dialling back compared to regular Wray.

I've been doing two things with this: swapping just a quarter ounce of it for OFTD (my go-to multipurpose overproof as I can't get LH 151) in drinks like the Navy Grog, Zombie, and most recently the Black Magic - it just adds some amazing head-enveloping flavour. Secondly, I've been pouring a half oz into a glass, adding a few teaspoons of chilled water until it's drinkable, and having it neat. It's a very high quality spirit so it isn't rough at all, once you dilute down the heat it's a real pleasure. Last thing at night only though or there's no tasting anything else..

I want to say it's from Three Dots & A Dash in Chicago, Larry, but I just copied that recipe off of one of my kitchen note cards so I'm not sure.

U

An unopened straw-covered bottle of Pre-Castro Bacardi Rum

That would create a dilemma for me ...???

On 2017-08-24 15:00, mikehooker wrote:
My haul from Tiki Oasis a couple weeks ago. I'm seriously crushing on this Clement XO and can't wait to experiment more with the Doctor Bird.

Hey Mike, one of my locals has just gotten in the Doctor Bird. How do you like it? What did you use it in?

On 2017-10-17 16:05, HopeChest wrote:

Hey Mike, one of my locals has just gotten in the Doctor Bird. How do you like it? What did you use it in?

I'm currently working my way through Sober October and giving my liver a rest so haven't been experimenting as of late. I know I used it in one or two drinks but honestly can't remember what they were or how it played with others. From my vague recollection, the rum isn't overly funky but is surprisingly smooth for it's potency. So it might be more of a higher octane Coruba than say a Kohala Bay sub. Definitely think you should pick it up and report back.

Plantation OD. I realise this is on it's way out, but I scored a bottle for a good price from an internet shop.

I think it has a genuinely good flavour, distinctly a quality dark rum but curiously fine and delicate, especially considering it's a 151. It certainly doesn't have the powerful full-spectrum flavour punch that the successor, the OFTD, has.

I like it, but I think I will keep it for smaller drinks (like this Kingston negroni, or modified Dacquiris) where I want a touch of proof boost and there aren't so many other spirits and juices stacked around it that would swamp the taste. There are drinks I like where I want a spike of overproof, but don't want a rum that stomps all over the other ingredients.

It's a shame this won't be made anymore because it's really good, but perhaps it was just too delicate for this world. (To be clear, I adore OFTD, and I think it definitely has application across a wider set of drinks than this).

Almost cried when I finished the last bottle of my stash of OD. Without question, the absolute best rum for my Hot Buttered Rum recipe. Also makes a smashing swizzle. Fantastic stuff.

My birthday last week and got some nice little presents from friends/family.
Nice display items rather than 'drinkers'.

The 'Moai glass bottle' is a tropical wine from Chile rather than a Rum, but I really like the bottle
and it should look good on a shelf.
The small 'Pirates Grog' chest with minitures in it is also a nice display item.
It's nice when people try to put a bit of thought into buying gifts.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2017 8:02 AM

That Moai bottle is great. I keep thinking I need to get some pisco once I make space on the shelf. It’s a clear grape brandy, and the Chilean kind is slightly different than the Peruvian (I prefer Peruvian, but it doesn’t come it such cool bottles). The Pisco Sour is a great drink to utilize it, but I’d also like to try a few of Martin Cate’s recipes that call for it, including his version of the Fog Cutter.

El Dorado 151
And
Prichard’s cranberry rum

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-11-08 20:37 ]

On 2017-11-11 14:08, hang10tiki wrote:

This JUST showed up at the BevMo near my house - I am dying to grab a bottle of both gold and silver and try them out. How do you like it?

These J Wray gold and white rums are just rebranded Appleton Special. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I used to buy Appleton Special Gold all the time but Signature is only slightly more expensive and was easier to find until this stuff just became available within the past few months.

Hope-
Didn’t crack it open yet

Aha!! Well, I guess that explains why the Appleton Special just disappeared from all of my locals some time back. It's been awhile but I remember it as a good mixing rum...

Nice. Very nice indeed.

T

Last night, we had our very first tiki party! I believe it was a first for our guests, too. It was also my first attempt at bartending, although I limited it to a few drinks. (If someone wanted rum and coke, I let them go at it. I just didn't vwant to be stuck at the bar all evening.) I had made batter for hot buttered rum earlier in the day, and I served those with the Kraken. It was part of a "gift set" that included a pretty cool mug for $23. It was very good with ginger beer and cokes, too. Our feature drink was Barbados Rum Punch (SC recipe) using El Dorado 5. We finished off the evening with something lighter...Strawberry Mules. Overall, everyone loved the drinks and decor and I'd call it a success. :)

Aside from the Campari, Falernum, and Luxardo, everything was bought over the past few days with some getting cracked last night to kickstart the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

More like Merry Christmas
:)

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Nov 27, 2017 10:23 PM

I was also eyeing Bacardi 8 and Mount Gay Eclipse, to make spiced rum, but it’s still a while till payday....

K

A friend recommended this stuff, as once it's gone it is gone: Foursquare 2004, a no-additives rum. Holy shit, my first two drinks almost had me choking like an allergic reaction because I never realized how a sugary base makes for a simpler swallow. But, despite sounding like I'm 15 and trying alcohol for the first time, it's a great sipper that I'll probably just need to have on the rocks in the future. It'll certainly last me a good long while.

Not sure what I think of the Dillon. I enjoy Babancourt and Cachaca, but this is a different animal.

New one for me

H

Very excited about the Rhum Clement Agricole Vieux. It's a limited edition bottling especially for Cask, one of my locals who gets a lot of great exclusives. Looking forward to trying the Angostura 5-year, as I hadn't seen it before and I am quite fond of the 7-year.

I'm a diehard Hi Times fan, but K&L Wine Merchants in Hollywood occasionally gets their hands on some interesting independent bottlings that I never see anywhere else.

On 2017-12-15 16:21, PalmtreePat wrote:
I'm a diehard Hi Times fan, but K&L Wine Merchants in Hollywood occasionally gets their hands on some interesting independent bottlings that I never see anywhere else.

I am absolutely gobsmacked - I literally just picked these exact two bottles up on my lunch break from the K&L in San Francisco.

On 2017-12-15 16:49, HopeChest wrote:

On 2017-12-15 16:21, PalmtreePat wrote:

I am absolutely gobsmacked - I literally just picked these exact two bottles up on my lunch break from the K&L in San Francisco.

Haha small world aint it? We'll have to compare notes once we've given them their rounds.

The Papa’s Pilar is ltd. release # 31 of 90.
The Kahlua Midnight is a blend of coffee Liqueur and rum. Has a strong but pleasant nose.
Got it from the clearance rack (7 bucks) at Hi-Times.

The limited edition overproof from Stolen Rum was a gift and is just fantastic. Never had a bottle of the Heering before so I am really looking forward to messing about with that. Same with the Clement Creole Shrubb - I have a feeling that 2018 is going to be a Martinique kind of year...

Nice haul HC.
Cheers

We went to a rum tasting in Austin this past week, so I had to bring home a couple new bottles and a swizzle cup.

Restocking.

On sale

On 2018-01-11 17:14, hang10tiki wrote:
On sale

Didja buy a case? Doorly’s is my Favorite of my favorite rums. Bajan rums are the backbone of my Tiki Bar. Great Price!
Later

Trip to Hi-Times last weekend

R

I love trips to Hi-Time. A long way from Texas but worth the stop every time.

Rick

On 2018-01-23 21:12, Tiki-boss wrote:

Trip to Hi-Times last weekend

I'm really starting to love that Diamond Dark. Not as much as Skipper still, but it's a great Demerara at the price point.

Stopped by Hi-Times to check out what’s new. The rum/Coffee Liqueur I bought was on the clearance shelf. The Kalua Midnight is under 10 bucks (750 mm).
Left to right, Monin Lyhcee syrup, Estate Royale Mango Rum Punch (clearance item),Death’s Door Gin, Stoli Vanil,Kalua Midnigt (clearance)Ty Ku Citrus Liqueur (clearance) My wife wanted the Ty Ku cuz the bottle lights up and it was priced at 7 bucks.Check out the second and third pix.

TyKu came with a couple of wooden Coasters

Cheers

The latest additions to the Lagoon's libations:

The Wife gifted me with a bottle of Railean white rum for Valentine's. I believe it's a product of pot stills, but I'm not noticing any funkiness, ala Jamaicans. It might have a bit more body than typical silvers. The distillery's near Galveston, so I hope to take a tour next time I'm over that way.

just picked up a bottle of the Selvarey Cacao rum
Going to make a Cacao Old Fashioned tonight. Can’t wait to see how it tastes

Just yesterday, I picked up Neisson Agricole Blanc Rhum. Wow! I love it! I'm picking up grassy notes and ... marmalade?

None of the liquor stores near me carry it but numerous people kept telling me I needed to visit South Lyndale Liquor because of its great selection of booze. Since I was in that neighborhood, I stopped in and headed straight to the rum section. Much to my joy, there on the shelf, directly in front of me, were three different Neisson rhums. I grabbed the blanc and now I am enjoying my purchase.

On 2018-02-25 08:17, barista girl wrote:
just picked up a bottle of the Selvarey Cacao rum
Going to make a Cacao Old Fashioned tonight. Can’t wait to see how it tastes

Sounds delicious! Please let us know how it turns out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies