Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

K

Two bottles of Lost Spirits Distillery Jamaican "Brandy" courtesy of the fantastic distillery tour.

My favorite aged rum in the Mai Tai’s that I make at home.

Whoops, wrong thread!

[ Edited by: davidphantomatic 2018-03-05 13:49 ]

Stocking up for the year

Replenishing a few gaps in my bar stock.

W

Pusser's Navy Rum, Plantation Dark and Don Papa 10 Year.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, May 13, 2018 7:53 PM

I like to live dangerously

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 21, 2018 6:45 PM

This just in from Hi-Time:

It’s not exactly rum, but I was running low on St Elizabeth, so I decided to try out the Hamilton stuff.
Maybe the bottle needs to be shaken, but the first drink I made, a Three Dots, wasn’t terribly remarkable.
I’ll have to give it another shot.

K

On 2018-05-22 10:07, davidphantomatic wrote:
...so I decided to try out the Hamilton stuff.
Maybe the bottle needs to be shaken, but the first drink I made, a Three Dots, wasn’t terribly remarkable.

So I haven't experienced it myself, but I do know that the flavor is much less subdued compared to St. Elizabeth and that you'd either have to double the amount of Hamilton, or know that it's much more subtle. I think Jason Alexander described St. Elizabeth as one-dimensional in comparison to Hamilton's Allspice dram, so maybe it helps to be super versatile and knowledgable about how to use is rather than a 1-to-1 direct substitution. Just a guess.

On 2018-07-12 12:25, kkocka wrote:

On 2018-05-22 10:07, davidphantomatic wrote:
...so I decided to try out the Hamilton stuff.

So I haven't experienced it myself, but I do know that the flavor is much less subdued compared to St. Elizabeth and that you'd either have to double the amount of Hamilton, or know that it's much more subtle. I think Jason Alexander described St. Elizabeth as one-dimensional in comparison to Hamilton's Allspice dram, so maybe it helps to be super versatile and knowledgable about how to use is rather than a 1-to-1 direct substitution. Just a guess.

I use both of them regularly. They have entirely different flavors and can't be used interchangeably. The Hamilton has a lot of sweetness and is way more mellow and forgiving, whereas it's easy to throw a drink off balance with a smidge too much St. Elizabeth cuz it's so potent. That said, Elizabeth is typically my go to in classic recipes, such as the Three Dots. But I like to keep both on hand for different applications (Hamilton usually being employed in original creations). Navy Grog is the one drink I still experiment with both, depending on the rum combo. Doing a Trader Vic style Navy Grog with Hamilton Navy Strength and Pimento Dram makes for quite an interesting drink.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2018-07-12 15:27 ]

Hmmm. Not sure if it’s inconsistencies with the bottles but I was preparing cocktails for a large group last weekend and did’n’t have enough Hamilton which is what I normally use. A friend had St. Elisabeth on hand and we bought a bottle of bitter truth because he didn’t want to use all of his St. Elisabeth. We did taste tests with all 3. Found that the Hamilton had the best and most intense flavor, heavy on the clove and pimento, less sweet than St. Elisabeth and more rum taste upfront. I believe it does have a slightly higher ABV. The spice numbed the tongue slightly which the St. Elisabeth did not. When we mixed cocktails (a Navy Grog variation) we had to use about the half the amount of Hamilton as we did St. Elisabeth to achieve the right flavor profile in the drink (1/8 as opposed to 1/4). Anything more would overpower the drink and ruin the balance .

Oh and yes, definitely Shake!

Interesting observation. I've never shaken my bottles of Hamilton or St Elizabeth and never noticed any inconsistencies in flavor from bottle to bottle. Perhaps another side by side comparison should be in order. If there isn't already a thread for this, someone should start one.

BB

Managed to hit up a Party Chalet while in IN a couple weeks ago. Grabbed whatever I knew wasn't readily available off the shelf in PA. Wish I had more time to explore some other stores. Came away with an odd mix indeed.

Hey Everyone,

I came across this bottle a while back and have been trying to figure out how old it is. After seeing a similar bottle that is part of Stephen Remsberg’s collection on the 2nd page of the Kohala Bay Rum thread I was hoping someone could tell me more about it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jul 18, 2018 10:44 PM

I picked up this bottle of Captain Morgan in Jamaica and despite what you might expect (if you’ve lived in the United States for the past 30 years), there’s nary a spice to be found. Instead, this is a basic but good Jamaican mixer and made by Wray & Nephew. And a good 86 proof strength as well. Due to a long history of corporate mergers and trademarks, this rum can only be sold in Jamaica and the “other” Captain Morgan cannot be sold in Jamaica.

I tasted this neat as well as in a Daiquiri, and this tastes similar to Appleton Signature (no surprise since that’s also a Wray & Nephew brand). If you’re in Jamaica and looking for a run that doesn’t hit you in the face with the funk, this isn’t a bad one.

On 2018-08-05 20:13, mikehooker wrote:

Mike, Wanna share your thoughts? I’ve heard positive comments about this distillery.
Cheers

On 2018-08-05 13:03, kevincrossman wrote:

I picked up this bottle of Captain Morgan in Jamaica and despite what you might expect (if you’ve lived in the United States for the past 30 years), there’s nary a spice to be found. Instead, this is a basic but good Jamaican mixer and made by Wray & Nephew. And a good 86 proof strength as well. Due to a long history of corporate mergers and trademarks, this rum can only be sold in Jamaica and the “other” Captain Morgan cannot be sold in Jamaica.

I tasted this neat as well as in a Daiquiri, and this tastes similar to Appleton Signature (no surprise since that’s also a Wray & Nephew brand). If you’re in Jamaica and looking for a run that doesn’t hit you in the face with the funk, this isn’t a bad one.

I grabbed one of those too. Great in a Planter's.

On 2018-08-06 22:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Mike, Wanna share your thoughts? I’ve heard positive comments about this distillery.
Cheers

I love the Foursquare rums cuz they're pure, unadulterated, no added sugar, color, etc. I've tried several of their expressions (Port, Zin, 2004, 2005, Criterion, and Dominus) and find the Port to be my favorite. I could seriously just pour a tall glass of this and be in heaven. Oddly, it was the cheapest of all their products and sadly it disappeared before I was able to stock pile a multitude of bottles. The 2005 is probably my second favorite. At cask strength, it's hot as shit but has wonderful flavor and incredible aroma. I could just sit here sniffing it all day. I typically have to add a tad of water to soften the initial blow though. I highly recommend picking up any bottles of their products that you see.

Snagged a bottle of Appleton Estate Signature Blend for 5 bucks and change outta the clearance bin at my Local Von’s .The first markdown was 10 dollars and the second reduction was 50% off that. Yes I looked for more.
Cheers
Btw, also got a bottle of Proseco for under three bucks. Proseco makes a nice French 75.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2018-08-07 23:47 ]

My room bar at Tiki Oasis included Mojitos and Daiquiris. I was out of white rum and the J. Wray silver caught my eye at the local BevMo. At 20 bucks and very tasty.
Cheers

K

Coworker of mine was making a clarified milk punch and needed 3 rums, wasn't sure on which to buy, and wanted to shortcut it by buying one. I convinced him to get all 3 by chipping in for half the bottles:

Appleton Signature Blend
Cruzan Aged
J Wray and Nephew Overproof (first time owning it, actually)

On 2018-08-15 10:42, kkocka wrote:

J Wray and Nephew Overproof (first time owning it, actually)

Make some jasper's rum punches. So simple, so good. Was a big hit at a party I had this past weekend.

K

After Hayward's recently overproof Jamaican comparison, and still giving the nod to J Wray, I'm very eager.

PP

Don Q silver

On 2018-08-07 12:28, mikehooker wrote:

On 2018-08-06 22:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Cheers

I love the Foursquare rums cuz they're pure, unadulterated, no added sugar, color, etc. I've tried several of their expressions (Port, Zin, 2004, 2005, Criterion, and Dominus) and find the Port to be my favorite. I could seriously just pour a tall glass of this and be in heaven. Oddly, it was the cheapest of all their products and sadly it disappeared before I was able to stock pile a multitude of bottles. The 2005 is probably my second favorite. At cask strength, it's hot as shit but has wonderful flavor and incredible aroma. I could just sit here sniffing it all day. I typically have to add a tad of water to soften the initial blow though. I highly recommend picking up any bottles of their products that you see.

Mahalo Mike.
Cheers

J

Doorly's XO, Hamilton Jamaican Gold, Coruba, Papa's Pilar Blonde, Plantation OFTD.

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2018-08-23 13:02 ]

Had a tour here today
Well worth it

Got this too

While it can be said Ontario is a black hole for good rum, it can on occasion surprise:

Appleton 15 year blend Canadian exclusive

On 2018-08-28 07:57, rum on the rideau wrote:
While it can be said Ontario is a black hole for good rum, it can on occasion surprise:

Appleton 15 year blend Canadian exclusive

Great find! I've seen limited bottles of the 25 year Appleton rum, and it sells around USD 250.00, but special order only, not on the store shelves. From your pic it looks like you may have grabbed a case? That would be a good move. Now you gotta drink it. Enjoy!

Wow, I've never seen or heard of that 15-year Canadian exclusive. That's fantastic. Do you mind me asking how much a bottle goes for?

J

On 2018-08-05 22:20, Tiki-boss wrote:

How are you liking the Matusalem and Doorly's? I'm a huge fan of the Doorly's XO, but haven't had the 12 yet.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Aug 30, 2018 11:04 PM

Found this dusty old bottle at a liqour store in Gardena. Really bought it more to use as bar decor (anyone else really dig the older bacardi labels?) but the contents of the bottle are actually okay. I think this particular iteration of the now defunct Anejo product was made at their facility in Mexico, which is also where the 1909 Heritage product was made.

Good page of rum

R

Foursquare 2005 last week. My first Foursquare rum.

Bottles from the latest Privateer Distillers Drawer release; tasting party was yesterday (I live about 45 minutes from the distillery).

All 5 of these rums are exceptional.

Finally available in my neck of the woods. Picked up 3 at Hi Times.

KL Wines coming through with the esoteric stuff once again.

K

Stopped by Mission Wine & Spirits to buy some Cognac and grabbed myself some Stiggins Fancy and Clement VSOP.

On 2018-08-28 11:27, HopeChest wrote:

Wow, I've never seen or heard of that 15-year Canadian exclusive. That's fantastic. Do you mind me asking how much a bottle goes for?

I'm so sorry for not replying sooner. I completely missed the post.

It sells for $70 CDN, and as to why only in Canada, it appears Canada is the no. 1 consumer of Appleton products. Who knew.. Here is a review of the rum from the Rum Pirate.

http://thefatrumpirate.com/appleton-estate-15-year-old-limited-edition

Sad news
The only 2 chains I know of
here in Vegas who carry El Dorado,
Soon will not
:(

Went to 5 locations that I have picked it up before
Only 1 location had stock

Picked up these 2

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2019 2:21 PM

Restocked my Demerara, and decided to get my first bottle of Barbancourt (and my first bottle of apricot liqueur).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies