Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's your latest rum purchase?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies

A

Boom! Exciting purchases after a trip to London (well for me anyway):

The Coco Lopez & Monin Orgeat are restocks, both are good.

Based Sunny&Rummy's recommendation (& on my enjoyment of 50:50 Saint James Amber / Appleton 12 from the 'best martinque rum' thread) I got some Saint James Rhum Vieux - I just tried some neat, it tastes great!

I've wanted some Trader Vics Mai Tai glasses for ages :)

Plantation 2000 Pot Stilled Jamaican Rum, LH151, St Elizabeth Allspice Dram.

D

On 2014-02-13 09:48, WestADad wrote:
Latest rum purchase: Received two bottles of Cana Brava 3 year today. Gonna spend some time with Beachbum's new book this weekend.

Cana Brava is pretty good, and priced better than 5 islands for a mixing / daquiri rum

J
Jay4 posted on Sat, Mar 29, 2014 4:24 PM

so wray and nephew overproof isnt that good? i was gonna buy it once but i couldnt find anyplace that sold it.someone recommended it to me when i was lookin for a good jamaican rum

On 2014-03-29 16:24, Jay4 wrote:
so wray and nephew overproof isnt that good? i was gonna buy it once but i couldnt find anyplace that sold it.someone recommended it to me when i was lookin for a good jamaican rum

W & N overproof IS that good. I'd second that recommendation. It's definitely assertive though.

Zaya Gran Reserva 12 year. Amazingly smooth.

[ Edited by: Maitai Mike 2014-04-01 19:00 ]

T

We stopped in at a local Thai Town supermarket for some sesame oil, and decided to peruse the liquor section, which was inconveniently located behind a collision of shopping carts, various cases of unboxed product, step stools and such... when I noticed, crammed into the corner on the bottom shelf, a bottle of Lemonhart 80. For 20 bucks.

Needless to say, we're ecstatic!

On 2014-02-14 17:51, Maitai Mike wrote:
I discovered the El Dorado 15 a few months ago and there's no turning back. The 12 by itself with an ice cube also does the trick for a whole lot cheaper.

I love the 21 year El Dorado,
but at 95 bucks at Hi Time, I settle for the 15,
I would only use the 12 for mixing.
but I'm a rum snob.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

My latest purchase was 2 bottles of goslings 151. They were being discontinued from a local grocery store for 17$. I should have bought more I think.

Storm

stormy- which grocery?

All of the sweetbays changed to Winn Dixie. They are still going to have liquor stores but the inventories are a little different.

Storm

Just got these two bottles tonight at Old Town liquor. I have never seen this Skipper Demerara rum before so I had to see how it is. Anyone tried it before?

Skipper is a widely used demerara in the UK (sort of a bartender choice). I haven't had a bottle but I have tried it neat & in drinks in bars.

I got a thread started ( http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46091&forum=10 ) because the demerara rums that are prevalent in the UK are more like Skipper (lambs, woods 100, ovd) over the El Dorado 5 (the most common demerara in the US?) - post your thoughts!

Yes I saw that after I posted this. I also posted my thoughts on that thread, and my current Demerara selection. Thanks Ad!

J
Jay4 posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2014 7:26 PM

i actually found a rum i perfer drinking straight over mixing,or maybe i just didnt add enough rum i dont know.i started out sipping it but then i just poured the rest of what i was sipping on into some coke and got something to eat but i actually think i perfer it straight

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-04-23 19:28 ]

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-04-23 19:28 ]

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-04-23 19:29 ]

M

My latest purchase:

J Bally ambre
Lemon Hart Original

And to complement my rums and to make nice tiki drinks:

Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
Marie Brizard white creme de cacao

Looking forward to trying them out!

Hey Merlino, welcome to TC!

M

Thanks Adam!

Nice to find like minded people here, and so much info on not only drinks but also food and collectibles!

I'll get around to responding to your message soon Adam, I promise!

A

Life should get in the middle of back & forths, also between Ministry Of Rum & TC there is a lot of info to enjoy... I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your new purchases (J Bally Amber?) :)

Rhum Clement Grande Reserve 6 Year Old

All on offer:

Angostura 1919 may be the only rum, but there's nothing wrong with the rest of that picture!

M

That's great stuff Adam. I love the Carpano Antica, just a shame that it's EUR 30 here in the Netherlands and I will never go through a full bottle before it spoils. Talisker is amazing whisky, too!

Not bad!

Picked up the Canne, Amber, and Vieux from Habitacion (Martinique Agricole) after a little tasting at Don the Beachcomber's International Tiki Marketplace.

Just back from the Miami Rum Fest. Picked up two bottles of Bayou Rum.

Tasty stuff. Young company, still working out distribution deals, not widely available yet but coming soon to a liquor/package store near you!

Ohh, sorry about that. Lets edit this and use a smaller picture....

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2014-04-28 05:27 ]

K

Recently purchased, among many other goodies: Koloa Dark, Koloa Coconut, Coruba Dark, Cruzan Light, Clement VSOP, and Lemon Hart 151.

I've been looking for that El Dorado 151 for years. Can't believe I finally stumbled on it.

I don't want to derail this rum thread but . . . regarding Carpano Antica, I keep it in the refrigerator for months with no spoilage. I also take extra care to spray a few puffs of inert gas wine preserver into it before resealing the bottle and I don't leave it sitting out long enough for it to reach room temperature. I do this for all my vermouths and sherries. Also, if Carpano Antica is too expensive or difficult to store try Punt e Mes as an alternative. Both are full bodied Italian vermouths a step above the usual Martini & Rossi. My favorite Manhattan uses a spicy rye whiskey and Punt e Mes.

A

*On 2014-04-28 17:51, hiwattowner wrote:[/]

The big news in that pic wasn't El Dorado 21?!

[i]On 2014-05-04 13:24, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:*
I don't want to derail this rum thread but . . . regarding Carpano Antica, I keep it in the refrigerator for months with no spoilage

Derailment to talk about other booze is ok in my book (as long as you still to the 'flavoursome' stuff, no vodka). I've posted scotch & vermouth so far!

I got the C.Antica specifically because is half bottle would fit in my fridge & I had it in bars before, good to know it doesn't spoil easily. Thanks TropicalDrinkBoy :)

KD

By the way, does anyone have a source for the 1909 Bacardi? Guess it was a limited run

M

On 2014-05-04 13:24, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I don't want to derail this rum thread but . . . regarding Carpano Antica, I keep it in the refrigerator for months with no spoilage. I also take extra care to spray a few puffs of inert gas wine preserver into it before resealing the bottle and I don't leave it sitting out long enough for it to reach room temperature. I do this for all my vermouths and sherries. Also, if Carpano Antica is too expensive or difficult to store try Punt e Mes as an alternative. Both are full bodied Italian vermouths a step above the usual Martini & Rossi. My favorite Manhattan uses a spicy rye whiskey and Punt e Mes.

Problem is, I just don't use it all that much: I drink manhattans relatively sparingly and the price is such that most bottles of good rum (Appleton 12, El Dorado 12, LH151 to name a few) are cheaper than Carpano Antica around here.

But I do buy exactly your suggestion instead. I should give the inert gas a try, though. :)

On the Carpano Antica, I once asked the bar manager (Gertsen) at Drink in Boston what to do. (Drink's a well-known cocktail bar in Boston.). He suggested that you could split the bottle into the smaller Schweppes tonic bottles (10 oz) and then refrigerate the lot. The theory being was as you opened those in sequence the older bottles would have less oxygenation from not be opened / closed. I never gave that a go, but it could be worth trying.

Downside is you'll have people wondering what the hell went wrong with your tonic to make it turn colors...

A

hang10tiki: hmmm, vanilla :)

Found a bottle of Depaz sitting on the shelf, had to pick it up. The only blue cane agricole I can get in TX until the Rhum Clement Canne Blue comes out.

[ Edited by: treizeplus 2014-05-15 12:26 ]

A

Out with the old... In with the new :)

A

Second best delivery of the week!

For the long time I have been frugal, only brought a few things on offer & drank some of my existing bottles dry waiting for this day to come...

I scanned the internet for the site that had all I wanted (i used the German website MA-WINE.com)
I carefully calculated the best way to be make the most of the price differences.
I factored in possible customs fees to ship from Germany to the UK.
I selected a few bottles that weren't available in the UK anymore :wink:

2x LH151, Pussers Blue Label, Plantation Overproof, Bacardi 151, 2x Appleton 12, LH80, El Dorado 5, Cockspur 12, 2x Brugal Blanco!

If you have got what you wanted & not paid the widely available price, I consider it a saving. Through ordering from abroad, this lil' haul was 30% / £150 / $250 off!

Score! Well everything except the Bacardi 151 anyway. . . :)

Let me know wnat you think of the Cockspur 12 once you've had a chance to sip it neat. It is a long-time favorite of mine.

Stock up on that Lemonhart 151!

FYI, more info on that over on this Lemon Hart thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47455&forum=10&start=15

Also, if anyone needs some ideas on what to buy next, I've got an epic review of Miami Rum Festival with lots of reviews:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/25/upstart-spirits-share-spotlight-with-major-players-at-sixth-annual-miami-rum-renaissance-festival/

Most impressed by El Dorado 21, Mount Gay 1703 and Plantation Guyana 2005. The biggest new surprise: Lost Spirits Navy Style.

I found and bought a bottle of of Ron Carlos dark rum based on one of these Mai Kai threads that said it's one of the rums they use. It tastes like paint thinner and after one Cuba Libre I can say it's going to be a liter of rum that will be around for a while. I have no idea what to use this stuff in. It will have to be a bit player 8 some very strong flavored cocktails for sure.

Thankfully I also added Sailor Jerry and a bottle of cockspur to the home bar.

Storm

Also to add to Hurricane H's comment I can not say enough about Lost Spirits rum. Fabulous. I can't wait for it to be available in my area.

Storm

stormrider: The Lost Spirits folks tell me they're working on getting Florida distribution, so keep an eye out.

Re Ron Carlos, that should come with a disclaimer. It's The Mai-Kai's well rum, meaning it's used as a base and not typically a featured flavor. In the mild and medium drinks, it's usually hidden behind the juices, syrups and spices. You'll usually find Appleton, Kohala Bay and/or Lemon Hart in the stronger drinks. I don't even recommend using it in my tribute recipes. I have bottles of it gathering dust. There are much better low-cost rums out there (Cruzan, Don Q, Flor de Caña, at al.)

So glad my parents have learned that there are better things to bring back as cruise gifts besides cheap t-shirts!

Yessir, that't the hot tip. Any friends or family who visit the Carribbean are able to quietly bring back some very nice things.

Nice! How they get that back? I thought it would get grabbed before it made it off the ship.

• Dale

The cost to hand-check luggage, and the time delays caused to disembarking travelers, seem to make this possible. As long as it doesn't get out of hand, I think we're okay getting an occasional "special gift" when we ourselves, or our friends and family, travel.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 846 replies