Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Way to go Hanford!

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

Hooray for Hanford for keeping the level of TC above that of 10-year-olds! Can't we all act like ladies and gentlemen here? I am so sick of hearing vulgar dudes in bars. I don't want to hear it on Tiki Central too.

Just wanted to say thank you for being the babysitter Hanford, so we don't have to.

T

Damn! Locked before Bong even made an appearance.

Ditto, Hanford!

affectionate mahalos from

Miss Visalia Firebaugh

Thanks Jab (and others from the other thread).

I want to point out that most of my baby-sitting actions come from me NOT wanting to be a baby-sitter. I'm not asking people to stop the insults becuase it hurts people's feelings. I'm asking it becuase when the insults start flying, I start getting PMs and emails from people, then I have to go check it out, and lock it, and reply. It wastes my time, and it's just a lot of hassle. I like it when Tiki Central runs trouble-free. I can read and reply at my leasure like everyone else.

By the way, the emails and messages are never from the people involved in the arguments directly, it's always from people who are bystanders. So everyone, please keep that in mind the next time you think about flinging an insult: it's not just going to piss off the target, it's going to piss of dozens (hundreds?) of uninvolved readers here, and it's going to piss me off when I have to go and do something about it.

Whew.

~Hanford

...when the insults start flying, I start getting PMs and emails from people...the emails and messages are never from the people involved in the arguments directly, it's always from people who are bystanders.

Hanford, I'm not advocating insulting other members but what about your advice of "if you don't want to discuss it, then simply don't read it"?

What I'm trying to say is if someone doesn't't like it they can ignore it or better yet, tell the insulter to stop it themselves instead of bothering you.

Personally, I can't think of one post (even the one's I personally dislike like the "I saw a tiki on 'Melrose Place'" variety) that should be censored. Let folks stick their own foot in their mouths. Heck, I've done it many a time.

Or if you're really serious we can build a large, flaming volcano and drop the whole bloody lot in it?

On 2003-07-11 20:08, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Hanford, I'm not advocating insulting other members but what about your advice of "if you don't want to discuss it, then simply don't read it"?

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me: If you don't want to discuss it, then simply don't read it.

That still applies, and I wish it was 100% effective, but it's human nature to want to read these things. But I'm not taking sides.
That's why in this thread I asked the sensitive people to try and stop reading (and re-reading) controversial threads, and I asked the less-sensitive people to be less controversial in general. It's about both sides trying to be considerate of the other. I'm trying to address the problem from both sides, becuase it will be more effective that way.

By the way, there's only been one post that's ever been censored. All other posts have remained, even though the topics have been locked.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-07-11 21:05 ]

I guess this problem is prevalent on discussion boards in general. It's easy to get in a war of words with someone who could be 1,000 miles away. though I must say, Tiki Central doesn't seem to even come close to some other boards.

What I try to do is not write something I wouldn't say in a face to face conversation with another person. I also try to let things pass (it's hard!). I am fighting to live by the motto: "Shit happens."

man!
what did i miss?! all this talk of name calling and fighting has gotten me curious...

Pages: 1 8 replies