Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Cabana Bay Resort at Universal Orlando -Retro Mid Century Modern bliss!

Pages: 1 17 replies

New Resort at Universal Orlando opening early 2014. Ain't tiki but homage to Mid Century motor hotels. Close cousin to tiki. Looks very much like the motels that use to line Harbor Blvd in Anaheim outside Disneyland in the 1960's.

Cabana Bay Resort-Universal Orlando

Yesterland: Cabana Bay Resort

MiceChat: Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Lots of turquoise and Brunswick orange color schemes.

I want to go to there.....to bad its not a west coast location....for purely selfish reasons.

TM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

And it's going to have a bowling alley!

MickeyUpdates: Cabana Bay Beach Resort at Universal Orlando

Maybe at Christmas they will have aluminum tree with rotating color wheel

On March 31st, 2014, the Universal Orlando Resort is going to start opening this hotel in phases.

MiceChat: Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Awesome!

I guess I will have to go back home and visit soon! This place looks fabulous!

A bowling alley based on the one from The Big Lebowski! A Jack LaLanne gym!

Micechat: Cabana Bay Beach Resort Opens

Someone should throw a Tiki/Mid Mod event there!

I'm sure that will be some time in the future. The only problem is that like all theme parks, it's expensive as hell. And if Universal is anything like Disney, they get really picky about folks stopping by unless they are staying at the resort. Theme parks used to have discounted specials for the locals, but those days are long gone. So we're going to have to see how tolerant the place is of "natives" before planning something.

Charles Phoenix at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort.

On 2014-04-03 14:02, TikiHardBop wrote:
The only problem is that like all theme parks, it's expensive as hell.

I know I'm replying to an old post but my wife and I stayed there in April of 2015 and the room we had was $150 a night. Much better than $500+/night over at Disney's Polynesian, which we did visit to admire and have drinks at Sam's.

I really liked Cabana Bay though, and thought it was a great value. The attention to detail in the architecture and decor was outstanding. The staff on the other hand was absolutely deplorable. Nevertheless, if we found ourselves staying in Orlando again, I think we'd choose Cabana Bay because the price is reasonable and the place is really cool. As a bonus, they have shuttle service to Universal and guests are allowed to enter the park before the general public.

Tanks for the post Mike. My wife and I (are gonna road trip across the southern U S (including Austin). We’ll check out the Cabana when we head north from the Mai Kai en route to Poughkeepsie. We plan to head back to LA via the northern top of our country. No Alaska this trip though.
Cheers

On 2017-03-27 23:08, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Tanks for the post Mike. My wife and I (are gonna road trip across the southern U S (including Austin). We’ll check out the Cabana when we head north from the Mai Kai en route to Poughkeepsie. We plan to head back to LA via the northern top of our country. No Alaska this trip though.
Cheers

If you stop in Austin let's grab a drink.

If you swing by the Space Coast, we have a whole bunch of tiki folks who can show you a good time!

Mike-THB. Tiki Peeps are the best!
Cheers

1957 -Living Room of Monsanto's House of the Future at Disneyland.
Same decorator as the Cabana Bay Beach Resort rooms Sixty years later!?

It appears that the Howard Johnson's in Anaheim, CA, across the street from Disneyland, was inspired by the Cabana Bay Resort.

YouTube: Charles Phoenix at Howard Johnson's in Anaheim, CA

Pages: 1 17 replies