Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TikiVato's Plastic Float lamps and other projects

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

Here's how I converted plastic Christmas ornaments into float lamps:
Drilled a hole using an one inch drill bit

Using a jig saw, I cut a circular hole large enough to insert a regular sized 25 watt colored light bulb.

Wrap fish net around globe and tie at top. (I used 1/4 rope that I had on hand)
Insert light source.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2014-02-01 14:42 ]

T

Looks good!
BUT....
I got two words for you, Hole saw.
If you go slow it will cut nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-18-Piece-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-Kit-3-4-Inch-to-3-1-4-Inch-Saws-/251404318966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a88dd78f6

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

T

On 2013-12-17 17:04, tikiskip wrote:
Looks good!
BUT....
I got two words for you, Hole saw.
If you go slow it will cut nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-18-Piece-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-Kit-3-4-Inch-to-3-1-4-Inch-Saws-/251404318966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a88dd78f6

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

I will try it. The ones I had at home we're too small to fit a bulb through. will buy a large one tomorrow.

T

Great idea (and I already have a hole saw kit)!

:wink:

Do you need to drill another hole for heat to escape at all (w/ it being plastic)?

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-12-18 08:59 ]

:music: "Hey Baby que paso? Thought you were my only TikiVato" :music: :lol:

Check Harbor Freight for cheap hole saws. They won't hold up to cutting metal or even extended use on wood. But should be fine for cutting a few holes in thin plastic ornaments. High quality hole saws can be expensive.

yep, hole saw, yep harbor freight

Now is the perfect time to find large Christmas ornaments on clearance! Great idea! I used a couple of plastic globe lights for mine with colored bulbs but the colored ornaments are a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

"Do you need to drill another hole for heat to escape at all (w/ it being plastic)?'"

No, Go slow, then when you break through the plastic the saw will grab,
don't fight it just let off the power and kind of twist the bit around so it's hitting one side.
Then keep going slow till you cut all the way through.

I always buy good sharp tools and bits unless you are going to use it a few times and toss it.
Like glass saw bits.

But then for this light you only need a 7 watt Christmas bulb so that's a 2 inch hole.
I get larger ones (hole saw bits)though incase you need to frost the inside sometime.

TikiVato,

I bought this at Target today for $12.59 and thought you might be interested.

It's an 8-inch Christmas ornament made by Philips. It has 30-twinkling LED lights inside, but when plugged in it looks like glowing lava in my opinion. It's made out of Styrofoam maybe?
They also had them in silver and gold.

There's one problem, this is what it looks like in the light! The white cord would need to painted.

T

Thanks for the expert advice TS. We all appreciate your input.
TLB thanks for the infor. I will go to Target and check em out.

T

I had some of these table float lamps at the last ITMP at Don's.

I got a new stock of puffers last week and decided to add them to my table lamps. Lots of work but I like the outcome.

This is my first edition, I will be making a few improvements on my next one I will be posting the Puffer Fish Float Lamp under the March 8th ITMP prior to the next event.

Joe -

That puffer in float lamp is AMAZING!!!!! Very, very nice!

T

Thanks Lori, my hands are full of pin holes so i'm not sure when I will do some more. I learned a lot and hope my second attempt at this won't be as painful.

You need some special gloves for handling something with so many spines!

Hi how did you manage to get the puffers in the float?

T

On 2014-02-01 23:36, BIG SMOOTH wrote:

Ancient Chinese Secret
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42fuVVL62E

Nice idea.

S
spiked posted on Thu, May 1, 2014 7:13 AM

Ditto, Skip!

On 2014-02-02 07:45, tikiskip wrote:

On 2014-02-01 23:36, BIG SMOOTH wrote:

Ancient Chinese Secret
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42fuVVL62E

Nice idea.

T

I picked up this steel sculptured puffer fish in Baja. I came home and mounted it with to a base and added light to it.

Way kool vato

That's really special. Wendy

T

I made some more of the plastic float pendant lamps using Skip's tips. They were much easier to make.

I made these lamp shades from fabric that I purchased from the garment district. I then made them into pendant lamps.

Purchased some Witco Style frames from a friend. I put puffer fish in them.

I ran out of stock of the puffer fish needed for the frames so I cut a hole in the glass floats I have in stock. I wired them with C-7 bulbs and put them into the frames.

T

Some lamps I recently made.

Oh danggggg
Sumbody been busy
Looking good Vato

Cheers

T

Just saw this, looking good!
Want to make some of those beachcomber lights, yours look great!

It sure is fun to have another wonderful thread of creativity to look at, you lamp makers just rock the tiki world. Wendy

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 10, 2016 10:27 AM

Lookin' good Vato!

T

Bob Fourbearz and I collaborated on a new lamp. Our version of the hurricane beachcomber lamp. It comes in a table top and swag version.

I enjoyed looking at all of your creations on this page. You are very creative. Wendy

Pages: 1 27 replies