Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis built into decks

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hey gang,
I'm building a backyard deck and started thinking about adding tikis, built in, as railing posts or at corners. Have any of you done this or seen this? I have a little time to decide on a plan and would appreciate
any advice. A few pics would be helpful.

On 2003-07-16 08:29, mrtikibar wrote:
I'm building a backyard deck and started thinking about adding tikis, built in, as railing posts or at corners. Have any of you done this or seen this?

No.

They had tikis as the vertical balustrades at the back patio area, overlooking the garden, at the Mai Kai.

I have no photos. Sorry.

2 words........

OCEANIC ARTS

OA is right. They sell carved posts that are about 5"+ in diameter. I carved two sets of tikis out of palmwood for a guy in San Clemente last year. He used these as posts on a stair case leading up to his deck. Came out nice.

You could do Tikis that are linear or implied, such as the decorative beams on the Kapu Tiki apartment building as seen (and diagrammed) on page 224 of The Book of Tiki (King Sven Version). Note that the beam at the peak of the roof had some painted (and possibly carved) detail added to it. The cuts to make these or similar faces would be easy and you could doll 'em up with some paint if you wanted something fancier.

You could also make (or have made) some long narrow Tikis for attaching to a certain size post. Maybe even commission one each from a variety of carvers.

Something else to consider are graphic Tiki-esque carvings or paintings. The exterior mouldings on the Alibi are a good example. Painting could be modified Polynesian graphics (as seen throughout The Book). Going this route would give you a good atmosphere and background for some larger freestanding Tikis.

You can do this with no problem as long as they are not used as a load bearing support

powerofthetiki
http://www.marylanddctiki.com
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

Pages: 1 6 replies