Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

help to save bahooka's mascot, rufus~~~

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 434 replies

Aloha everyone! This is Kari. Hidden Los Angeles is run by a friend of Otto's. He put me in touch with her after I read Sven's FB post over s week ago. I believe Fez Moai was the one who tokd Sven about Rufus, as he had met with Bahooka's new owner recently. So all of this is fantastic teamwork that shows how our community can work so well together! Thor did some incredible artwork to help grab everyone's attention, too. Now... Damon's is serious about adopting Rufus, but we're all waiting to get the measurements of Rufus' tank to make sure it will fit there. Please hang tight, everyone, and when Damon's owners give us the OFFICIAL word, then it will be official. But not until then.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2014-02-10 14:47 ]

F

Crossing my fins..er, fingers!

FM

Measurements were perfect! It's a go!!

YES!!!!!!!! Long live Rufus!!!

H

On 2014-02-10 18:35, Fez Moai wrote:
Measurements were perfect! It's a go!!

Great News!!!

YEAH!!!! What great team work everyone. I am sure so many will be relieved to know that Rufus will still be a busy partying Tiki mascot in a bar atmosphere.

We are at $915 on donations, so please everyone help out as you can. No amount to small or too big...bring on the coinage.
http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-rufus-the-fish-find-a-forever-home-/136424

Aloha Fez,and much mahalo, but did the GM's at Damon's confirm this? Did you personally talk to them today after you gave them the tank measurements and they said this to you? We're all hoping for Damon's official announcement before we clink our Mai Tai glasses in celebration.

So glad you clued Sven into what was going on with Rufus a few weeks ago. If this works out, it will be a great group-aloha achievement in our Tiki community that will, hopefully, inspire more acts of kindness.

[ Edited by: tangaroa-ru 2014-02-10 22:21 ]

This group and effort is what i love about this website. Let's stick with this kind of positive energy.

W

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2014-02-10 20:44 ]

T

Still waiting to hear the official news from michael at Damon's !! My donation contribution still stands as a
New painting and more for sales at Damon's and online with sales profits going to Rufus' care! Sorry if I am holding out here to cheer 100% but this is such a delicate thing I can't fully rest till Damon's make their big official announcement ! No matter what..WOW..what
power positive actions and teamwork has when people take action over just talk!!!! This has
come a long way because of "heart" and Ohana !!!!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-02-10 20:40 ]

FM

My understanding was that if the dimensions came through, 8'x2'x3', then the answer was going to be a "Yes". Hopefully we'll hear the official word soon, but it seems very promising.

Good job Fez...keeping my fingers, toes, eyes crossed!!! Someone should film his move...like they do the BIG FISH, etc. at Sea World...a modern day documentary.

Lynn (who runs Hidden Los Angeles) not only put together the fundraising campaign for Rufus, but also is very involved with getting publicity generated for this cause. When THE WORD is an official "yes", then I'm sure a lot of new forces will spring into action to document the move and alert various local media of this, as well. I really want to thank Otto von Stroheim for telling me about Lynn and her organization, Hidden Los Angeles (you can find them on Facebook). If you haven't yet made a donation to the Rufus fund they started, please consider it. The money will help with the moving costs and future care of Rufus. And Tom ("Thor")... well, what a joy it is to have such a kindred spirit and friend like him. He's one of my favorite people to team up with. Like Thor, I've been low key for a while about this because my journalistic background won't let me report false news and get hopes up before it's justified. I have been posting whatever REAL news I had on my Poly Hai Facebook site, but now that I realize many of you don't do the Facebook thing, I will post more here, when needed. As I joked to Atomic Tiki Punk I am not "Fox Tiki News"! But, yes, Thor and I have been the ones working with Damon's because of our friendships with the General Managers. So many in our community doing whatever they could, even if it was just to post their opinions and support here on Tiki Central It's just wonderful. Fez Moai had the Bahooka owner connection and Sven put me in touch with him, Sven grabbed everyone's attention with his first post about Rufus (thanks to Fez Moai letting him know), Thor created a wonderful piece of art to go with his posting and other media regarding the Rufus situation and talked to Damon's, Tiki Al Zaqueira called me with Jorge's phone number (Jorge is Rufus' longtime caretaker), Otto put me in touch with his friend at Hidden Los Angeles, Atomic Tiki Punk kept sending me lovely messages of support, and a lot of people just reposted the news link and spread the word.. it's all good, people. And Wildsville Man is so correct. THIS is what Tiki Central should remind itself that it is about -- the sharing of aloha and supporting each other and causes as the incredibly creative, wildly fun community that Tiki IS.

So... right now, we sit tight and wait to hear back from Damon's GMs. A bit nail-biting, I know. I ask that you enthusiastic, loving and anxious ohana NOT call Damon's and bug them about this. To take in an aquatic animal of this size and Rufus' age is a big deal. It's not like bringing home a goldfish you won at the fair! I left a private message for one of the GM's tonight, and when I hear back, I will let you know. Or Thor will, if he hears first. Or maybe we'll have Marina and Crazy Al do an interpretive dance that announces the news. Now THAT would be entertaining!

[ Edited by: tangaroa-ru 2014-02-11 09:38 ]

Thanks Kari & Thor, I know you have been working your connections to make this happen
for a new home for Rufus & to the Hidden L.A. folks for setting up the funding site so quickly.
Fingers crossed!

Here's where you can donate to the Rufus fund. Almost a thousand dollars has been raised in only a couple of days. Wow! Chip in, everyone! http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-rufus-the-fish-find-a-forever-home-/136424

T

On 2014-02-05 09:01, tikiskip wrote:
Call the local news station or paper to do a tear jerk story about this.
He will have a home soon after.

That site needs to take pay pal.
See I told you it would work.
Great news almost.

I will call Lynn today and ask if she has the ability to add a Paypal function to the fundraiser account.

T

On 2014-02-10 21:07, Fez Moai wrote:
My understanding was that if the dimensions came through, 8'x2'x3', then the answer was going to be a "Yes". Hopefully we'll hear the official word soon, but it seems very promising.

This sounds like just the glass tank dimensions. What has to be included in this measurement is the housing of the filtration system and all that supports the Tank. Danon;s has to make space for the entire "support system." Hoping whoever is getting these dimensions is giving Damon's tho FULL info...definitely by now?
Last I heard late last night from Michael was that HE HAD NOT told anyone of a firm "go" and no dimensions fit had been confirmed yet. I seriously am at the point where I am considering taking half a vacation day, driving down to the old Bahooka site to meet Jorge, taking a tape measure and getting this done without so much vague back and forth here. Hell , I will drive straight to Damon's, hand over a slip of paper personally and measure the space by the piano to get this DONE!! It's like the simplest aspect of this entire effort is taking the most energy to just get copleted and I can't understand why???? Help me understand

That's exciting news!
If, for whatever reason, it doesn't work out, I met with the GM of Don the Beachcomber last night and he mentioned that he would love to have Rufus at Dons. Something to keep in mind if there isn't enough room for the tank and all of the filters and pumps at Damon's.

FM

On 2014-02-10 23:26, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Here's where you can donate to the Rufus fund. Almost a thousand dollars has been raised in only a couple of days. Wow! Chip in, everyone! http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-rufus-the-fish-find-a-forever-home-/136424

Please spread the word and the website!! I just made my donation!

FM

Here's a mention in today's newspaper. They mentioned Damon's already, although........

http://bhcourier.com/rufus-home-37-year-old-carrot-eating-fish-moving/2014/02/11

Geez Louise, I sure hope someone from the paper confirmed this with Damon's before running the story. It doesn't sound like anything is finalized yet!

T

On 2014-02-11 17:49, TikiTacky wrote:
Geez Louise, I sure hope someone from the paper confirmed this with Damon's before running the story. It doesn't sound like anything is finalized yet!

Maybe a little positive pressure will seal the deal.

T

Channel 7 ABC news at 6 has a story on Rufus today.

On 2014-02-11 17:15, Fez Moai wrote:
Here's a mention in today's newspaper. They mentioned Damon's already, although........

http://bhcourier.com/rufus-home-37-year-old-carrot-eating-fish-moving/2014/02/11

So since this is not finalized yet, whom was this reporter talking to?

On 2014-02-11 18:14, TikiVato wrote:

Thanks Vato! it will be on in a minute, caught this in the nick of time.

T

On 2014-02-11 18:21, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2014-02-11 17:15, Fez Moai wrote:

So since this is not finalized yet, whom was this reporter talking to?

The Spirit of Aloha, perhaps?

On 2014-02-11 18:25, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2014-02-11 18:14, TikiVato wrote:

Thanks Vato! it will be on in a minute, caught this in the nick of time.

Just caught the news report, great job to Lynn Garrett for getting the media to pay attention!
ABC L.A.News is still reporting that Rufus needs a home & pointed to the fund drive
and Rufus looks good!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-11 18:45 ]

Updated: $1,216 raised so far!

http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-rufus-the-fish-find-a-forever-home-/136424

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-11 21:06 ]

On 2014-02-11 08:46, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
I will call Lynn today and ask if she has the ability to add a Paypal function to the fundraiser account.

Thanks!

T

I am going to sit this out for now. We have had a tremendous amount of "team effort" and sharing of info that has gotten us this far!!! Funding effort a BIG success….…"Hidden L.A" is a BLESSING!

Equally, unfortunately, a lot of over zealousness that has misinformed/misrepresented the team for the media and the truth of the situation to date regarding Damon's as a certain new home. Kinna blows my mind that we have this issue with full grown adults but there yah go.
All I know is that Damon's is NOT, nor has at ANY POINT, confirmed to anyone yet, that it is a go as a new home! Anyone telling the press this was totally out of line. In fact, Damon's should be the ones that, IF ever, share this with press. Also, numerous attempts to get measurements and clear info regarding the current tank and specifications for Rufus from those who are closest to the owner and site, were NOT GIVEN to Damon's as of last night when I spoke to the Managers. They asked of this info 3 days ago!!! I am backing away to let this fire burn as it shall…and my only hope is it that is eventually favors the fish!! Wherever his home may be. All best to this cause! Aloha Night all~

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-02-11 20:31 ]

Thanks Thor for kicking us all in the pants & getting the ball rolling!
I am very confidant this will all work out for Rufus with all the folks
now watching out for him.

I still think we should eat him.

Jeff btd

T

HAAAAAAAaaaa Oh Lord!! Well…carrot fed is ALMOST like grass fed I guess!!! But LAST LAST RESORT!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-02-11 20:47 ]

FM

Lynne from Hidden LA sent the dimensions to Damon's yesterday.

On 2014-02-11 21:11, Fez Moai wrote:
Lynne from Hidden LA sent the dimensions to Damon's yesterday.

Can you also send the required measurements to Thor & Kari, whom are in direct communications with Damon's?

T

Got this message late last night from Michael, GM at Damon's. Here is the CLEAR scoop. I feel officially comfortable to take my hand off the Wheel, and again, let this take it's course with confidence it's in the right hands now. Keeping my hopes strong for Rufus! Still not time to celebrate…but we are sooooo close.

Quote from Michael (Damon's) last night via text:

"Sorry Tom, I have not gotten the exact measurements but was told by Lynn they were within our needs. I Talked with Jorge today, I will be going to Bahooka to meet with him and hopefully seal the deal. I will be taking one of our fish guys with me too look at the tank as well."

On 2014-02-12 06:42, THOR's wrote:
Got this message late last night from Michael, GM at Damon's. Here is the CLEAR scoop. I feel officially comfortable to take my hand off the Wheel, and again, let this take it's course with confidence it's in the right hands now. Keeping my hopes strong for Rufus! Still not time to celebrate…but we are sooooo close.

Quote from Michael (Damon's) last night via text:  

"Sorry Tom, I have not gotten the exact measurements but was told by Lynn they were within our needs.  I Talked with Jorge today, I will be going to Bahooka to meet with him and hopefully seal the deal. I will be taking one of our fish guys with me too look at the tank as well."  

GREAT news Tom. Thank you for sharing the clear truth here so we all know what's going on.

[ Edited by: SoCal Savage 2014-02-12 08:25 ]

FM

I'll try to find the link for last night's Channel 7 news segment on Rufus. I come out in it! Also, I was just interviewed on KPCC radio regarding Rufus. The link to that segment is on Taketwoshow.org.

On 2014-02-12 11:25, Fez Moai wrote:
I come out in it!

Does this mean what it sounds like it means? Honest question.

FM

If you mean that I meant that I'm in the segment, then yes.

You can see the video on FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=717149821650196

Unless you don't use Facebook, in which case you can see an error page telling you that you suck.

On 2014-02-12 11:36, Fez Moai wrote:
If you mean that I meant that I'm in the segment, then yes.

http://youtu.be/G2y8Sx4B2Sk

FM

Thanks for posting that link! That's a different cameraman and segment, so I'm not in it after all, oh well!

FM

TickyTacky, the Princess Bride rules!!

On 2014-02-12 11:27, TikiTacky wrote:

On 2014-02-12 11:25, Fez Moai wrote:
I come out in it!

Does this mean what it sounds like it means? Honest question.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! :lol:

Aloha everyone. It's Kari Hendler again. So... as Thor said earlier today, we are in a little holding pattern with Damon's until they can get over to Bahooka and meet with Jorge. In the meantime, Lynn Garrett (Otto von Stroheim's friend who runs Hidden Los Angeles) has been doing a kickass job of fielding the press and helping get donations for Rufus' cause. She needs your help, though. She needs GOOD photos of Rufus and video of him to help with the campaign and press. So check your phones and computer photo files in case you have photos of Rufus, or pointed your phone at his tank and took video of him. Please send only good, clear images to Lynn. Still photos can be sent to [email protected]. Videos can be sent to the same address via https://www.hightail.com/

It's doubtful that you'll get photo or film credit, but you'll get good mana by helping Lynn gather material needed to promote this cause.

I'm keeping a positive feeling that this will be resolved soon. Once again, please do not call Damon's as they are doing their best to make an educated and humane decision, and the LAST thing we want to do is make them feel pressured. As I said in an earlier email, Rufus is a special case and it is a big deal to take him in. There are a few other interested places at this moment, and they are being given information about what would be needed to adopt Rufus, should they become involved.

Now, I want to say this very important thing: Lynn has spoken to aquatic experts about Rufus. People who are skilled in aquatic moving and fish health. Rufus is a big fish of a certain age. Just like any animal, when he is moved, to wherever he is moved to, it will be a stressful experience for him. You know how much fun it is when YOU move? Well, imagine that for Rufus. No matter how careful or educated the movers will be, it will be a big change for Rufus. His water is his air, his tank has been his home his whole life. The best care will be given to move him, but it is a risky thing to do. All that being said, THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT THIS IS A RISK WORTH TAKING. Yes, there is some drama to this that hopefully will have a happy ending. I think all of us would cheer on anyone who makes this attempt to give Rufus a quality, new home, no matter what MIGHT happen. Since he can't stay at Bahooka any longer, taking a risk like this is far better than the alternative, don't you think? I just needed to point out the reality of this situation, so that you all are aware that this is a big deal, but one worth doing, no matter what, and that you give major kudos to whoever adopts him.

Mahalo to all of you who have posted and are keeping the fish-faith. This is Tiki teamwork at its finest.

Has anyone thought to question the inhumane act of leaving this creature behind, while selling and leaving your building?
Thoughtless and heartless begin to sum it up. I am sure no one would be this sterile and analytical in response to hearing that someone sold their dog with their house.
Is there no thought of accountability given before launching this appeal?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 434 replies