Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

help to save bahooka's mascot, rufus~~~

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 434 replies

The owners of Bahooka gave us decades of great service in an outstanding atmosphere. They had every right to take a huge financial offer for their business and finally enjoy their "golden years" and not make us rib dinners anymore. We may not have liked HOW they chose to close, as I'm sure many of us would have liked more warning or maybe been given a chance to buy the property first and keep it going. However, it is my understanding that the sale originally went to someone who wanted to keep all the tanks and fish. The property was sold again, and the latest owner does not want the tanks or fish. If this really is the case, then the original Bahooka owners were under the clear understanding that the fish would remain and be taken care of. They loved Rufus, too, and I can't possibly believe they would have left him behind had they not gotten assurance from the first buyer that the fish were wanted and would stay. What happened after that initial sale is not their doing or responsibility. If you owned a pet store and sold it to someone who said they were going to keep it a pet store, but then THEY turned around and sold the property a year later to someone who wanted to turn it into a Verizon store... well, what would YOU do, as the original owner? Sure, it would be nice if we heard from the Bahooka family, and we might, with all this press going on. They might not even know about this situation until they turn on the news. So, let's not start any hating or torch-lighting. That fixes nothing. Let's just take positive and progressive action to HELP and make a real difference. We're a community filled with aloha spirit and creativity. We are much better than hate and resentment.

I would also like to highly recommend that no one harass the current Bahooka property owner. He is of Chinese origin with limited English. From what I've heard, he's not a bad guy, but he's a business owner who would like to get on with his business plans for the property. He has sold off some of the fish already to people who have given them good homes. He has actually offered Rufus to Fez Moai, wanting to help give him a good home. But he reached out to Fez for help, who, in turn, let Sven know about this. That, to me, says that this man is attempting to do the right thing. Yes, if WE owned the Bahooka property we all know what WE'D do with it! But we don't. So let's just help this man find Rufus a home. Jorge is the man who has been taking care of Rufus for a decade and loves him like he was his own dog. Jorge has been very helpful trying to talk to people who have shown interest in adopting Rufus. Again, there is a bit of a language barrier, but the love is there. WE'RE THE ONES WHO CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE HERE AND SET A GREAT EXAMPLE. You want people to stop thinking of Tiki as something "weirdo" and "tacky"? Here's your chance, people. REPRESENT!

Just sent Lynne what little footage I have of Rufus, wishing I had more. Too much scuffling going on here and not enough fundraising. You know the old saying, it takes a village? Well, we've got one so lets get it done.

http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-rufus-the-fish-find-a-forever-home-/136424

WELL SAID.
Thanks for finding some footage and forwarding it to Lynn. I've got some photos of Rufus someplace in my files. I will track them down tonight.

P

I have some video from right before Bahooka closed that includes Rufus and his two offspring in a nearby tank. It has a lot else in it too and is unedited, but I can find it and send it. If I ever get home from work, that is. These days I seem to be spending way too much time here.

Thanks Kari!

Without turning this into another 10 pages of fighting, I do think that Me Myself and Moai had a valid point and it's one that all of us have probably thought at one point or another and then an additional another. Leaving him behind after 37 years is rough, even with buying all of the fish and the tanks you'd hope that Uncle Rufus would get to celebrate in the "huge financial" windfall and retire with the family. He can't speak for himself but if he could I bet he'd say "What the F**K?". I was just hoping that point would come up after he was in a new home.

I just donated to his fund and again not trying to cause a war but I see that the donation goal has grown a bit since it's debut, I hope it doesn't continue to grow in goal but only in donations. Wherever he ends up he will be a draw that will increase revenue for at least the first few weeks. I know "I'll visit early and probably on the often side.

Anyway I appreciate everyones efforts on the front lines and behind the scenes, on camera or off. It's a worthy cause that will hopefully result in a blockbuster ending.

What a Hottentot Potentate! I have half a mind to report you to the
first moderator I can think of spelled alphabetically here on TC
for stirring the pot of chaos & gumption.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Boris check your PMs

JB

The owners of Bahooka gave us decades of great service in an outstanding atmosphere...and we PAID them for it. They didn't do it because they loved us and were filled with the aloha spirit. I'm sorry, but everything about the closing of this place was handled poorly. From the changing of the closing dates to the charging (gouging) of $40 for the "$18" t-shirts in the last weeks.

My,Myself and Moai is correct. It certainly appears that they abandoned this creature like it was just another plastic parrot.

Fortunately we have banded together to rectify this abandonment.
It is very sad that Rufus has been sitting in the dark for the last year all alone.
But with our efforts he will hopefully get to gaze upon our ugly mugs (to Rufus anyway)
from the other side of the glass.
And with any luck, for many more years to come.

CBS News (channel 2 LA) has is going to do a story on Rufus in just a few minutes here.

No one is saying that people's points they've posted here aren't valid (free speech is a good thing), but Thor started this thread to help Rufus NOW, not dwell upon what happened a year ago. This thread was created to inform people about a time-sensitive situation that is currently happening to a wonderful fish we're all extremely fond of, who deserves a chance to get a new home. We're trying to get our Tiki ohana to help spread the word, see if they know places that might make a potential new home, help raise funds, etc. If you want to write about how upset you are over how Rufus was left behind, yes, of course you have every right to express yourself. But Thor and I, along with Hidden Los Angeles, Fez Moai, Jorge (Rufus' longtime caretaker) and others have been working really hard for several weeks now, devoting a lot of our time and energy to help relocate Rufus, and that's what we're going to try and continue to do, because that's what needs to be done NOW. However (and I mean this sincerely), if it suits your needs better to remind everyone about past misdeeds or track down the Bahooka family and tell them how angry you are at them, go ahead -- but it won't help create a solution that we're seeking. Right now, we're all waiting to hear a final decision from Damon's while we continue to think of backup plans and find other people who could help with a relocation. Mahalo to all who have made a donation, emailed their photos and videos of Rufus to Hidden Los Angeles and chimed in with ideas and words of support. We really hope to hear some good news soon.

Here is the link to the CBS LA News story about Rufus....
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9835828

T

Thanks for posting that ATP.
Love ya Ray.

And great job SoCal Savage to think this media blitz started when you and your wife
wrote La mag and others.
Then Hidden La picked it up and it took off.
So help can be sent even if your not in California.

Would like to see Pay Pal on the donation site though.

Thanx Bora Boris!
You can use Pay Pal! And I did.
LLR!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-02-13 06:43 ]

Tikiskip, it does take Paypal, just click to the 2nd page.

On 2014-02-13 01:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Here is the link to the CBS LA News story about Rufus....
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9835828

This is GREAT!.

Hope there's some good and final news soon.

T

Jeff, This was posted a few days ago about the same article you just posted:

TikiTacky wrote: Geez Louise, I sure hope someone from the paper confirmed this with Damon's before running the story. It doesn't sound like anything is finalized yet!

I will hold the celebration until I hear from a more credible source like Thor, Kari or Lynn.

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2014-02-13 09:50 ]

Aloha all. Your positive vibes are so wonderful, but, as of this minute, Damon's has not made a final decision yet. There are a lot of details to go over to make sure this move can happen. It's not an easy task to do. I promise that as soon as our friend at Hidden Los Angeles (Lynn) gets a confirmation of one kind or another, we will let you know the latest. We're really hoping for their answer within the next few days, as I do know a meeting between all involved is scheduled. An aquatic move of this type takes a lot of skilled people working together, getting clear information about what's involved before committing.

As for the original Bahooka owners bearing some accountability for this situation -- for those people who feel strongly about that and want to devote their time and energy to pursuing that, why don't you contact the Bahooka family and let them know how you feel? (If you haven't already.) Maybe it will encourage them to donate to this fundraiser. Maybe they'll explain why they didn't take Rufus home with them when they sold their business. I'm sure many people would like to know. So, if any of you talk with them and want to share what they tell you, I know that will be a well-read thread on Tiki Central. But right NOW, a group of us are working to find Rufus a new home, so that's where we're putting our energy and the focus of this particular thread, and we really are appreciating your support.

We hope you're all having an aloha-filled day, wherever you are.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2014-02-13 10:54 ]

I think it's commendable how everyone has rallied to help Rufus. Has anyone called the old owners to see if they know or want to help. I think it should be them to pay whatever fees are needed to help make Rufus last days or years be great ones. It doesn't hurt to ask them. They might even want him.

The Tiki Community is surely a passionate one and to always jump in to help is commendable. I think at this point if Damon's or Dons take him will be great but any good home would be a relief.

Kari, I don't think people are stirring the pot , I think there are questions in this case that people have and we wish we had answers to. When you reach out, ask for money or to take on the task of moving and caring for such an historic creature, there are usually questions. Unlike others times when it's an easier story we jump blindly to help willingly. This is just a bad situation made worse by the back story of owners who left him without making sure he had a permanent home. And since you are working so hard to find a home why don't you reach out and maybe this will all be moot. I think we should want to know why if possible. It could help in being more prepared to care for him and I would think whoever takes him would want that info first if available. Maybe they know something we don't, maybe it's dangerous to move him after all these years and that's why he was left. Either way the more questions are posed the better to help rescue him safely and I'm sure the California wildlife dept will find a great home for him too or tell us he can't be moved. That should be the first order before raising money to find him a home, if needed.

This is my opinion and when you reach out to people who you have asked personally to take him, pay for him, support him, those people have a right to ask and post and discuss regardless of whether it's uncomfortable or if it takes a bit of time .

I wish all good luck in this task and hope Rufus finds a good home.

[ Edited by: Queen kamehameha 2014-02-13 11:58 ]

On 2014-02-13 09:48, TikiVato wrote:
Jeff, This was posted a few days ago about the same article you just posted:

TikiTacky wrote: Geez Louise, I sure hope someone from the paper confirmed this with Damon's before running the story. It doesn't sound like anything is finalized yet!

I will hold the celebration until I hear from a more credible source like Thor, Kari or Lynn.

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2014-02-13 09:50 ]

Well, that totally SUCKS!!!!!!!

FM

Here is some boiled down info for all:

-The current owner does not want Rufus, so he must be moved
-Why did the original owners let him go? Don't know.
-Because of his age, we must make sure that he is only moved ONCE.
-The place that takes him MUST be able to meet certain requirements in terms of space and care.
-Fish tanks this size are way expensive ($1000's), and we're trying to make sure his current tank will be able to withstand a move and still be effective.
-A veterinarian must be hired to check him out and professionals must do the move job.
-We were able to talk to current owner down to $800 for the Rufus package.
-The money being raised will help the person that ends up with Rufus, regardless of who they are.
-The current owner wants him moved quickly, but we have been stalling him.
-Rufus' two smaller Pacu buddies died last week. The owner's partner allowed someone in that took them without authorization and they didn't know what the hell they were doing. Thus, both Pacu's are now dead.
-There are a lot of pieces in this puzzle that must fit, and that includes people, personalities, money, time schedules, etc.
-This is really a more difficult situation than most people can imagine. He's not a carnival goldfish in a plastic bag.
-There are TONS of calls being made daily by all parties involved trying to reach a conclusion.
-I think that is why Kari is asking for a more positive atmosphere here. We are really trying to get this done. The money is for Rufus, period. That's what this thread is about and for.

Thanks Fez Moai, that is the direct and concise response needed and answers most questions. Thank you for being thorough

Amy

FM

No problem, I wish we had good news already and hoping that Damon's comes up with an answer quick. We still have interest from Don's, Purple Orchid, and possibly Clifton's in downtown LA.

On 2014-02-13 12:43, Fez Moai wrote:
No problem, I wish we had good news already and hoping that Damon's comes up with an answer quick. We still have interest from Don's, Purple Orchid, and possibly Clifton's in downtown LA.

That's some great options, I hope one of them works out.

Nice pic lance!

Yeah, as I said before, Don the Beachcomber really, really wants Rufus.
The GM told me that personally on Monday night. They have a ton of room there and they've already chosen a spot for the tank, right up in the front as you come it the front door.

The owners of Rufus said that they were going to give Damon's the first shot, but hopefully Don's will be next in line.

T

I thought I was done here needing to be involved with this, but since I posted this thread, I feel obligated to make some several things clear.

1. My entire purpose of this thread was to get clear information that was NOT happening. Details requested regarding all necessary were denied of reason I don't understand, cus it was simple stuff. So the intent continued to search, diligently for clear, accurate, as straight from the sources as possible, data. It was a struggle!! I spent HOURS on this I didn't have…we are ALL busy with "important things" I can promise you this!

2. Regarding the previous owners. I too started my attitude not liking how this was handled by previous Bahooka owners..still don't! HOWEVER, MONEY makes some people do some pretty crazy poop!! Thank God we still have those that aren't mind screwed by the the great American buck as their code of measured "success", and drive for humanity that makes people justify or blind themselves to stuff like this. The past owners where told the fish, inc. Rufus were part of the "new plan" of the buyers. It proved to not be a reality. Should they step back in? Well I would/AM! But again, I share my dinner every night with an African Grey Parrot and let my dogs kiss my lips and would risk my life to save a beached seal. I know more animals that have better morals and scruples than some people I come across!! lol But that's me…and I can't expect everyone to be in my world or set of values. So we just need to MOVE ON and better the situation…cus it stinks and if we are smart, we find ways to get rid of the smell and make some magic! PERIOD!

3. Most of what is being said in the last several pages has already been said. Not sure why people are re-quoting. Everyone needs to read this entire thread and you will find most comments now are long covered.

We need one thing at this point and that's a yah or Nah from the FIRST establishment that had the nerve or balls or whatever you want to call it to say, " I am going to try to really do this and take this fish…IF" Yes, they have perimeters…but we struggled at that so far to get those near Rufus representing him to get the measurements clearly conveyed as requested to get this moving! Just basic data! So it has slowed down the process.

Damon's has EVERY right to take a several days to fully study what it is going to take to commit fully. Again, suddenly we have all these back up takers but we had NOTHING 5 days ago but "showing interest"..and now that this thing went to the media….we have others "REALLY WANTING TO TAKE RUFUS". GREAT! I want this guy to have a home that will be as much like what he saw out that tank as possible…and save his life making that transition also.

I am just as anxious, partly pissed, and definitely stressed by this situation. This represents a fundamental character of what attracted me a long time ago to "Tiki" and this community. At least I THINK it is what it is about. It's simple stuff…it's heart and unconditional "love" for common intrigue and sharing of creative skills, and what you, as an individual bring to the table to catalyze it too. It all has value. It's about making "TIKI" a place…a "bubble" that is the ONE FRICKIN PLACE AND COMMUNITY you can hide away to…that is free from the crap, corporate bs, politics and judgement we find toxic in the daily grind we wake up to.

Let's please just DO THIS and get this guy in a place where we can see him splash and eat carrots as we toast to what life and "Tiki" spirit is TRULY founded by as "Tiki". Let's keep everything positive from this point on. I am not responding to any more energy other than that which is a momentum directed at saving Rufus with forward inertia. All this for more than a "fish" but the "spirit" of the underdog voice/symbol of Tiki in a modern world that is "Tiki Ohana".

Aloha~ THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-02-13 19:38 ]

Thanks for all your help in trying to keep this organized, THOR. I can see you've been frustrated, but you didn't give up and you've tried to keep people on track. Just remember that time helping others—even others with fins—is never wasted.

OK! I saw on a Facebook post that Damon's got Rufus. Can this be confirmed or is someone miss informed? Never mind! Just saw the above thread that it is not finalized.

[ Edited by: forgotten tikiman 2014-02-13 20:00 ]

Unless Rufus posted a picture of himself happily swimming in his new home, don't believe anything you read.

Nothing is finalized yet, but hang tight. There is a big meeting happening between interested parties and so there SHOULD BE an answer to the Damon's question soon.

And thank you so much, Fez Moai, for your earlier posting with the information that some people were wanting, and your phone call to me yesterday. Your ability to get inside Bahooka and talk to the owner and George has been incredibly helpful to all of us.

T

Thanks Kari! O.k ..in the spirit of clean, clear facts that sparked this thread, here is the latest as of almost 10 PM

1. Damon's IS interested in being the new home for Rufus. They were first to step up to the plate, and taking very responsible steps to peruse this intent with one thing they told me as priority..."what is best for the fish". So...they are moving forward with greatest care and attaining all the knowledge they can to minimize risk. So not a done deal...but done as far as Damon's having rightful first dibs till they say uncle.

2. Damon's is trying to meet to more efficiently communicate with those representing Bahooka. Their initial requests to have meeting this week have been "rescheduled" till next week with current owner. So, delay in firm answer on this is taking longer, not because of Damon,s behalf.
    Where we can use the greatest help from you , Fez Moai,and Jorge, who are in contact with the owner of the Bahooka property is emphasizing the importance of making a productive meeting and communication possible, as soon as possible with the owner...working to make this happen sooner than later! Clear prompt communication has been our greatest challenge so far! Damon's is ready to get this deal finalized!!! This benefits Rufus!!!!!

3. I don't think anyone here will be prepared to for what it will cost in effort and money, ultimately, to safely move this guy. We all need to be prepared to kick in in many ways to come.....mark my words. I am happy this thread and the sketch inspired a fund raising effort ....and that will likely be increasingly important as we visit the realities that surface.

I am truly hoping that Damon,s succeeds . For many reasons. They are much closer to Bahooka than other alternatives in miles, reducing dangerous stress in travel which is critical. They are a fabulous historical place, with both managers, Kevin and Michael passionate about Tiki and the meaning Rufus represents! They are taking this on with great heart and risk and effort...one intelligent step at a time ..and again, most of all....stepped up to this challenge before there was any hype or grandeur! Lets do all necessary to help them close this deal and get Rufus snug in his new carrot kingdom! This would be the Right thing to do!!

~THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-02-13 22:18 ]

I Second that!

T

On the donation page you have AQUATEK OF CALIFORNIA INC, now they can't move Rufus, but
they may know a company that can.
Another option is to reach out to other types of business that can move Rufus.
Looks like this would be a combination of riggers or movers and a vet type person.
As you know lager tanks like this will be heavy and tricky to move, gives a new meaning to
Splish Splash.

May sound crazy but how bout Tanked: An Aquarium Reality TV Show.
This would make a cool show and they need new ideas to film right?
And these guys WOULD know how to do this, Call and ask.
All I'm saying here is you may not need money to get this fish moved
as the good will these businesses can get from this will be their pay day.
Just as having Rufus in their business will be the pay day for the taker of Rufus.
Sadly Jorge who has put lots of time into this won't get a pay day, but is doing this
out of love, so all is well I guess.

Now don't get all wigged out but, I can't see what the deal is with the owner of the Bahooka property is,
First it's I need this fish out now.
Now it's "requests to have meeting this week have been "rescheduled" till next week" flaky.

But it looks like the delay is for the best as time is needed to get all ducks in a row.

T

Sorry one more thing here is info to contact:
Also Queen Kamehameha Amy, could talk the devil
Out of his horns she would be a good choice to call these
people if you can get her to do it.
She works with tv and talks their talk.

Cast Bookings and Appearances
For cast bookings, appearances and endorsements please contact:

Michael C. Skouras
BenSalz Prod., LLC
917-975-6666
[email protected]

Locations
Las Vegas, Nevada
Beltway Business Park
3451 W. Martin Ave. Ste. C
Las Vegas, Nevada 89118

702-387-2016 Office
702-851-0236 Fax
Toll Free: 1-877-TANK-ATM

T

Great info Tiki Skip!!!!! Super helpful!!!! Thanks my friend. I am all for Amy or others who have the time and experience with these industries to talk with them and reach out.
Additionally, I don't know if most of you are aware of who Michael Gingras, one of the two General Managers of Damon,s is! He was the former General manager for the "Magic Castle" in Hollywood for many years. He is a highly articulate, savvy and passionate guy. Very good on camera and well connected with some if the best known in entertainment. I keep wishing they would get him on camera or in front of the sources considering supporting this. He is no amateur to public relations and press. Still, as he told me friend to friend, he really wants to save this fish and do what is best for him over power housing the actions just to be the one to "possess" him that could kill him, if not undertaken with GREAT care and expertise that can help. Anyway...I just am super excited that this lil' fish is becoming such a "whale of a tale" in a modest size tank.

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-02-14 06:50 ]

On 2014-02-14 04:09, tikiskip wrote:

May sound crazy but how bout Tanked: An Aquarium Reality TV Show.
This would make a cool show and they need new ideas to film right?
And these guys WOULD know how to do this, Call and ask.
All I'm saying here is you may not need money to get this fish moved
as the good will these businesses can get from this will be their pay day.
Just as having Rufus in their business will be the pay day for the taker of Rufus.
Sadly Jorge who has put lots of time into this won't get a pay day, but is doing this
out of love, so all is well I guess.

Damn Skip!
I was just thinking about this , this morning.
It's a perfect script for a reality show such as this.
They come rushing in to save the day with a happy ending (which means happy ratings/happy sponsors).

happy ending (which means happy ratings/happy sponsors).
Oh, I heard that was... um, never mind.

I did not talk to Amy before I posted this, Sorry Amy!
Know you are very busy right now and should have asked you first.

But you are the best one to do this.

That is a great idea Skip!, I was unaware of that TV show
but if that could cover the cost of relocating Rufus
that would leave more money for the care of the big guy & maybe he can finally get
one of those Sunken Pirate Ships for his aquarium/fishy bachelor pad.

Keep in mind Amy is extremely busy this weekend/week with the Grand Opening of Tonga Hut Palm Springs (yay!) and Modernism Week just in case you are trying to contact her.

Hope things work out for the fish to go to Damon's....I think people would really dig seeing that fish eating carrots--esp kids.

T

Forgot about that.
Maybe it would be best for another person to do this as
time is not on our side.

Good luck Tonga Hut Palm Springs!

All great suggestions, and all those places/shows you brought up have actually been in touch about this. Hidden Los Angeles contacted them all. A lot of good people want to help with this.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2014-02-15 02:44 ]

T

Well it sounds like Hidden Los Angeles and you Kari are on it.
Good to hear, and Good Luck.

Oh and some have said they pet Rufus.
Here is some info on petting a fish...

Lightly petting a fish with clean hands is fine.
If the fish does not mind of course.
Some koi love to have their bellies rubbed and will swim back to your hand again and again to get pet.
A fish's slime layer is essentially its skin. Never rub it off.
Contrary to popular belief - bacteria, infection, ich, and parasites are ever present in ALL water. The slime layer is the barrier to defend a fish against malady.
Temperature changes, stress, fast swimming to avoid predators or bullies, and any rough handling (especially in nets) can remove this slime layer.
Fortunately there is an inexpensive additive called StressCoat that will replace and beef up the slime layer as well as detoxify the water and reduce fish stress.
Add some StressCoat and pet away, but never chase the fish.
Hope this helps

Wow this is so exciting everybody's doing such a great job thanks to FezMoi, Thor and everybody else that has put in a consorted effort

http://www.scpr.org/programs/offramp/2014/02/14/36053/a-moving-fish-story-bahooka-s-rufus-95-percent-sur/

Above is the link to a story that Hidden Los Angeles posted a few hours ago. This is the group that Otto von Stroheim hooked us up with to help us relocate Rufus and raise funds. Since they posted it, I feel comfortable sharing it, too. If you go to the Hidden Los Angeles Facebook page, there are more stories about what's going on with Rufus and you will be able to also see updates there. They have been a great asset. They are such a large group, that having them put the word out as well has reached so many Angelenos who have offered all kinds of help. I hope this update makes everyone's weekend even brighter!

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2014-02-15 15:21 ]

And mahalo for the aquatic handling tips, Tikiskip and your good fishes... uh, I mean, wishes! (All this has gotten seriously into my brain!)

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2014-02-15 15:19 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 434 replies