Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Movies you can't stand, but that everyone else likes (Controversial content)

Pages: 1 39 replies

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:29 ]

G

How did I know Lebowski would be on that list? I love it, but then again, I was a member of the Seattle Seven.

Two films I can't stand are the Princess Bride and Labrinth. I think it was growing up in the 80's with an older sister that forever moved those to the null file of my mind.

gabbahey

Anything with Owen Wilson.
Anything with Julianne Moore.
Dysfunctional family films, especially ones with Owen Wilson or Julianne Moore.
Pretentious art films, except for “Alphaville”.
“Titanic”

Here is a similar topic from the distant past.

TikiCentral:Tell Me Why Little Miss Sunshine was nominated?!

How come I can't remember where my car keys are every morning but I remember this topic? And I remember lots of these members being very visible in the past but have seemed to disappeared. Perhaps in the social network haze?

On 2014-02-11 12:08, White Devil wrote:
Anything with Owen Wilson.

I too, am getting tired of movies with Owen Wilson...at first, it was funny...but he seems to play the same character over and over...same with Vince Vaughn....and to some extent, Ben Stiller...

(although, the focker movies happen to be among my favorites).

I do like movies that have real actors, like Sean Penn...people who can actually transform themselves into different people....Jeff Spicoli and the lawyer from Carlito's way are the same actor? (for one great example)

Those god damned Twilight movies!
as a matter of fact any movie based on a young adult novel.

T

Good Will Hunting.
Of course the custodian is a genius.
He mops floors cuz it's fun.

Fight Club.
They want to blow up the banking system to help the little guy and
wipe his bills clear?
And to give a blow to the rich man.
A. The RICH man has more to win as the banks will loan him TONS o cash.
B. The Hollywood brats who made this movie ARE the rich man! Hypocrites.

C

Just about anything Disney & Pixar has made in the last 15 years.

It's funny, cause I loved Saving Mr. Banks, which was ripped to shreds in the media for being too pro corporate Disney, which I thought was exactly the opposite of what was intended by their entire production team!

TM

I like disney!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

and princess and the frog was classically animated!

And in many ways, they got a lot right. In the clip above, we see semi-accurate representations of the 7 african powers (the yoruba religion's main gods) in the masks above Doc facilier:

http://www.squidoo.com/sevenafricanpowers

And as for Doc Facilier himself, he is a very accurate representation of the Haitian loa, Baron Samedi

https://www.google.com/search?q=baron+samedi&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qfH7UqLVG8rfoATboIGQBw&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

So, not all Disney movies are bad!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-12 14:12 ]

On a completely separate note, has this forum become so infantilized that we now have to warn potential readers about controversy? Or is that a trick to get people to read it? What's, like, the deal?

I prefer a non-political correctness myself
& I hate Adam Sandler movies, these are made for Frat boys.

Watched "There Will Be Blood" tonight. It was very long, and incredibly pointless.

But there was Blood! & I will drink your milkshake!

On 2014-02-12 19:49, White Devil wrote:
On a completely separate note, has this forum become so infantilized that we now have to warn potential readers about controversy? Or is that a trick to get people to read it? What's, like, the deal?

I just didn't want anyone to get their panties in a twist because I dislike Tarantino movies!

You should have seen the shit storm that rained down on me because I posted about not liking the grateful dead, beatles and phish. (I never even thought there would be that many hippies here on a mid- century style focused forum...)

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-12 23:16 ]

I can't stand the movie 'Tombstone'.

You should have seen the shit storm that rained down on me because I posted about not liking the grateful dead, beatles and phish. (I never even thought there would be that many hippies here on a mid- century style focused forum...)

The Beatles saved us from The Folk Scare of the early '60's. For that reason alone we should grovel at their feet.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:29 ]

T

So is Janis Joplin folk music?
And Mama Cass, I love this song.

Mama Cass Eliot - Dream a little dream of me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZfKcYlefE

This is great too...
The Mamas And Papas talk about their LSD adventures
QUART of LSD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20Dy1hqLw0

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-02-14 10:51 ]

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 13, 2014 5:57 PM

I stand corrected, Princess and the Frog was dang good.

It just makes all the other Disney stuff seem even worse!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 13, 2014 6:02 PM

Why all the hating? What about movies that everybody else can't stand but you LIKE?

Fer instance, I like Pickford/Fairbanks silents, which everybody acts like it's an exquisite form of torture to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwa2578IxkM

P

For starters, the Star Trek movies. The recent JJ Abrams ones. Using time travel to not have to worry about the established history of the franchise so that it will appeal to kiddies with ADHD? Crap. J.J. Abrams is a hack who is going to go on and ruin Star Wars, too.

And I don't know if anyone else liked them but I sure didn't. I recently watched "Pitch Perfect" and "Cloud Atlas" and was very dissapointed with them both.

"Pitch Perfect" couldn't make up it's mind if it was "Glee","Hgh School Musical" or "Revenge of the Nerds". It failed as all of them. The musical numbers were OK, but the story was all cliche nonsense.

"Cloud Atlas" was 3 hours of disjointed stories that seemed to have no point and no relation to one another other than they featured the same actors, one of which was a rehashing of "Blade Runner" and another "China Syndrome". I spent 3 hours waiting for all of this to converge and make some sort of sense, but... it never did.

I have to agree on those recent Star Trek movies, The first one was tolerable (barely)
but the last one was so stupid! I mean just ignored established science for mindless action set pieces
that made no sense, only the ADD inflicted can enjoy that crap.

TM

I thought the casting in star trek was damn good....love Chris Pine and the guy who plays spock...the storylines, not so much. There were some good moments in the first one, but when you find yourself preferring even the movies with TNG cast....well, that says a lot.

One movie I want to see in 3D Imax, but am sure I won't like will be "Gravity"...I have been hearing clips from it on the radio and all I get from it is Sandra Bullock whining about being afraid to die...which goes against EVERY thing that astronauts are truly about. Astronauts don't cry in space. They are professionals who work the problem and are very level headed and not prone to emotion.

Maybe Sandra Bullock is just crying because she realizes she is one of those women who have really bad taste in men, and that she only likes bad boys like that guy, "the pizz"....er, I mean Jesse james......

TM

On 2014-02-13 17:57, Cammo wrote:
I stand corrected, Princess and the Frog was dang good.

It just makes all the other Disney stuff seem even worse!

Imagine if they could somehow squeeze a new ride into New Orlean's square......

TM

Oh, I just thought of a few more:

Caddyshack.....

and the cannonball run movies....

On paper, and in theory....just based on who are in those movies, I should LOVE them, but I just don't. Same with "Blazing Saddles"........

cammo asks, what about a movie everyone else hates that other love.....well, I would say "ground hog day" with Bill Murray...I absolutely love that movie....yet others are bored with it.

TM

On 2014-02-13 16:32, tikiskip wrote:
So is Janis Joplin folk music?
And Mama Cass, I love this song.

Mama Cass Eliot - Dream a little dream of me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZfKcYlefE

Yeah, it's folk....

T

Anything with Kevin Costner, (specially "The Bodyguard"), anything with Matthew McConaughey or Tom Cruise and their damned overblown egos up on screen. Those and I have an almost pathological allergy to any "chick-flik". Oh and don't get me started on "Breakfast at Tiffany's"?

M

I've been hanging out at an online film-review site called Letterboxd since 2013 and since my tastes run towards cult sci-fi and horror, my opinions frequently tend towards the negative when it comes to popular films and positive when it relates to more obscure movies.

Spider-man: No Way Home: mindless cash-in made out of 'memberberries, easter eggs, and feelz from all of the previous films.

The Matrix Reloaded: If I'd been stuck in a cave hundreds of miles below the Earth's crust along with a couple hundred thousand smelly, sweaty ex-Human Batteries, forced to participate in a rave with rhythmic accompaniment provided by the world's largest and shittiest drum circle, I'd have opened the blast gates of Zion and let those 250,000 Sentinels inside in a heartbeat.

No Time to Die: Actually, 163 minutes turned out to be plenty of time for ole James to kick the bucket.

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2022-09-02 18:28:59 ]

You had me at "cult science fiction and horror"!

Be careful what you ask for!

All the J.J. Abrams Star Wars movies are absolute crap, with the one exception of the one off "Rogue One" which actually was well done and feels like a part of the original Star Wars films, I believe Abrams had very little to do with it.

Don't get me started on the J.J. Abrams Star Trek films!

I am a big John Carpenter fan, but not of the Halloween Movies, nor Friday the 13th or Jason movies, the whole genre of Supernatural killers whom find a unique and unlikely way to kill their victims to be completely absurd, yet the whole reason for these films to exist.

I agree with the above that "Cloud Atlas" was a real endurance test, and a monumentally pretentious piece but I have aversions to the sheer nonsense of "Field of Dreams", AND the endless tedium of "Three Days to Kill".

The last movie I walked out of was "Titanic," because the notion of a female throwing a diamond into the ocean is without a doubt the worst science fiction since Ed Wood.

Plenty of stuff since then to scoff at, but nothing to top the last couple years' trend of what's now known as "woke." I won't get political beyond that, because everyone knows what I'm talking about. Let's just say this trend has saved me lots of $$ I might otherwise have blown, and now I treasure my Pam Grier blu-rays more than ever.

La La Land. No explanation necessary.

Or needed!

T

"XANADU"!!!! (Surprised it hasn't been mentioned before!) A totally ludicrous premise, with actors that can't act, skaters that can't skate, dancers that can't dance, choreography by physio-therapy ward re-hab, singers that can't sing, a once-great star such as Gene Kelly reduced to mugging at the camera whilst wearing various funny suits, a plot that has more holes that an old torn fishing net, a leading man with all the looks to play Pinocchio, flouncy frilly costumes straight out of Holly Hobby, dialogue surely computer written (and delivered!) with earworms that drive you silly for days. Oh and did I mention an utterly ridiculously inserted sequence where all the lead characters suddenly turn into Disney Fantasia-type animations for no apparent reason at all? I kid you not! But all the little background kids do so earnestly work their poor little arses off!

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2023-01-27 15:35:45 ]

Fun fact: after "Xanadu" flopped, director Robert Greenwald mostly stuck to directing political documentaries. Also, he married one of my high-school classmates who worked with me on the school newspaper. She was an insufferable political crusader and constantly belittled and tried to shame anyone who didn't share her views. I think they were made for each other.

T

Well of course the movie flopped....it had leg-warmers for a start! Imagine Greenwald having such a disaster, and then marrying another!

TT

I hate Star Wars, Harry Potter and the Lord of the rings crap.. Feels good to let that out haha

Pages: 1 39 replies