Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New york City TIKI

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

WOW Double WOW....got to go check it out! Taking a walk over to check out sven's update...and I thought that made it a good day!

You go, Wahini!

MC

I was out with my parents and brother for his 30th birthday at Marion's Continental last night and it was such a great time! Please go and support such a great restaurant while they are celebrating "The Kahiki" up until Sept. 10. The decorations were colorful and tropical-esque, frozen drinks in tiki mugs, pu-pu platter, delicious food, and WONDERFUL SERVICE!!!! (They had so much patience with my hilarious ukrainian father.) The Pontani Sisters dance on Monday and they ROCKED!!! Check out their webiste: http://www.pontanisisters.com. Marion's site is http://www.marionsnyc.com.
Manic Cat

S

Regaining hope! I will definitely check out Marion's and the Zombie Hut. It looks like Marion's Kahiki celebration will be over by the time I arrive in New York and I'm not holding my breath about Waikiki Wally's or the Shrunken Skull (cool name!), but I'll have to check out the sites.

Thanks for the info, Sven and Manic Cat!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

MC

arty,
I'm still on the hunt for a good Mai Tai place for you too! I haven't given up--it's New York City, for tiki's sake.
mc

S

I appreciate it! Yeah, it's New York, and there's gotta be something! And hey, as far as the hunt for the mai tai goes, if anything at least you'll have fun searching, right?!?

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

MC

This week's Time Out new york:
Lei'd comer
drag queens and dragons are a hard act to follow, but Lucky Cheng's owner hayne Suthon is opening another hyper-fabulous eatery anyway: hawaiian-themed waikiki Wally's. The east village tropical get-up is elaborate enough to put the Rainforest cafe to shame. the dining room has miles of bamboo, a towering waterfall, an enormous birdcage (containing a real white cockatoo named Wally) and live, hip-swinging hula girls. The menu will follow the tropical theme with Polynesian and Asian-inspired dishes, plus whole roasted pigs for private luaus. And like any respectable tiki establishment, wally's will serve coctails the size of your head.
101 E 2nd st between 1st and Ave a (212.673.8908)

MC

Waikiki Wally's is really here!
101 2nd st between 1st and A.
(ah--only minutes from my house)

I'm going to be in the city on Monday night Sept. 30, and Tuesday night, Oct. 1. Anyone up for hoisting a Mai-Tai at Waikiki Wally's let me know.

MC

Sure--just give me a reminder.
Too bad you are not here for Sept. 26. Supposedly, Don Ho is playing at WW that night.

Man, I wish I could suck 'em up with Don Ho! Unfortunately, this is a business trip so the dates are not my own. I'll send a reminder when the time draws near. Waikiki Wally's sounds great.

C

Very cool... I'll be in the city on Nov 2nd. I'll try to get there fer sure.

On 2002-08-26 04:10, bigbrotiki wrote:[/i]
Heads up, guys, got this info from Oceanic Arts:

Waikiki Wally's is at 24 First Av, New York, NY 10009 and is owned by Youri. We have been supplying this job for a few months with Outrigger Canoes, mattings, thatching and quite a few artifacts, Pufferfish lights, Netting ,and more. We think he might have bought additional decor from other sources over the years.

From Pagesix.com

Wednesday, September 4, 2002 -- ON THE SIDE

ONE of the more interesting eateries to surface recently in Gotham is Waikiki Wally's at 101 E. 2nd St. The 1950s Hawaiian retro motif - including a tiki bar, waterfall and giant bird cage - will be greatly augmented when Aloha State fixture Don Ho performs for the splashy opening night on Sept. 26.

The East Village boite - a sister restaurant of cross-dressing mecca Lucky Cheng's - will also host luaus with umbrella adorned cocktails and whole pigs sporting apples in their mouths.

tg
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

My buddy from Brooklyn sent the following about the zombie hut.

"HERE'S THE SKINNY ON THE "ZOMBIE HUT"...........I HAVE NOT BEEN THERE TO DRINK OR HANG SO I CAN'T SAY IF IT IS GOOD OR BAD, BUT.........THE TIKI HUT IS HALF OF THE RESTERAUNT[SEPERATE ENTRANCE NO ONGER CONNECTED] "UNCLE FO'S", SISTER RESTERAUNT OF "PATIO'S" OWNED BY ALAN HARDING
IT LOOKS OK, WITH BAMBOO ON THE FRONT AND A PRETTY COOL HANDMADE LOOKING SIGN......PRETTY COOL ON THE INSIDE......I HAVE NOT SEEN IT AT NIGHT SO I CAN'T SAY IF THE PLACE HAS THE VIBE........BUT IF THEY ARE GIVING UP DRINKS WITH 3 SHOT'S...........WELL HELL...HOW BAD CAN IT BE???????BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO HANG OUT WITH THE SMITH STREET &!#@ BAG CROWD.

TG

T

I THOUGHT IT HILARIOUS THAT TG'S FRIEND FROM BROOKLYN WROTE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE NEW YORKERS DO TALK LOUD, EVEN IN THEIR EMAIL!

Don't get me wrong, I like it when people talk with some volume. Here in California it's always "Speak up man, I can't hear you!" Especially with my punk rock damaged hearing.

You should be with him in a bar, as he talks about his days in Queens, it gets really loud then. And damned funny to.
TG

S

On 2002-09-05 14:43, manic cat wrote:
Waikiki Wally's is really here!
101 2nd st between 1st and A.
(ah--only minutes from my house)

Incredible and just in time! I'll be in New York next week (9/15 - 21).

Pubcrawl???

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

MC

For sure! I still haven't been over to Zombie Hut and it'll be a good reason to go.

NYC sells some good tiki mugs as well, but at New York City prices. So for the eye candy, or that rare find that you are ready to dish out for, check out DULLSVILLE on 13th street between 3rd and Lafayette. The classic couple that own it are very cool and knowledgable. They love to talk tiki. Today, the owner hooked me up with a mug from Hawaii Kai which has a different colored glaze on the inside (mustard) than on its outside (green). It really looks nice. And I especially adore it because it has written on the back really low, "NEW YORK CITY." It's my momento for a new Age of Aquarius of nyc tiki.

S

Cool, Cat!

Could be a very busy week with many must do's on Uncle Arty's Tiki agenda with Wally's, Marion's, and Zombie Hut! Dullsville gives me something to do during the day after my morning workday!

I'll contact you regarding pubcrawl possibilities.

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

MC

If you haven't seen the thread in Events...
Join the NYC Tiki Crawl!
Friday, September 20
begin at Waikiki Wally's, 2nd st b. 1st and Ave A
8pm, dinner and tiki drinks
plus marion's continental, zombie hut,...
I've seen many posts on this thread. Let's get together!

MC

More Shopping in NYC!
I really like "exit 9 gift emporium" on 64 ave A (4th st?). They sell the Book of Tiki, Shag books, swizzle sticks, blank tiki greeting cards, newly made tiki mugs, photo albums with hula girls on the cover, and all kinds of fun beautiful stuff. The best part is that lots of stuff goes on sale cheap all the time. They've had a bobble head tiki for 40% off forever. I already own one. Walking up Ave a is worth the shopping experience as well. There are more shops scattered around that carry tiki shaped candles (I got a big moai candle holder for $10), Shag shirts (on Friday, my boyfriend picked up two for 50% off), and new mugs. Check in the back of the stores because is where they hide all the sale items! (I'll post the name of the store w/ Shag shirts because I know they are still on sale.)

On 2002-09-17 09:25, manic cat wrote:
More Shopping in NYC!

i always liked browsing around pearl river on canal!

MC

Chinatown is a great resource. The restaurant supply store on Bowery and Delancey carries new tiki mugs and scorpian bowls. Lots of paper laterns, decor items (gold buddhas and dragons), and live fish. i couldn't ask for much more!

T

Can someone post a street address and/or phone number for Zombie Hut?

thanks!

Zombie hut is located at 261 Smith St between Douglass and Degraw St in Brooklyn.

I liked it, the music was electronica house on Friday night though. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't "pure". Make sure that you order the shot that involves the bartender setting the bar on fire! I wish I could remember the name(he he!).

I thought that music was Disco!

Yeah, some Exotica would of suited the joint alot better. I would be interested in going back on a weekday night (and when I am sober enough to remember it!)

Last night I was back at waikiki wally's sipping some Rum Runner volcano bowls with friends. I had to ask the bartender to take that Lilo and Stitch soundtrack off the CD player. Disney was killing my style. So in my make-believe world we cranked up the Eminem and really set the bar on fire!!

S

Aloha,

As "Cat and Inky" indicated, the Zombie Hut and Wally's have a little trouble with the tunes, but you can't beat the drinks and the decor (unless you're in So Cal!).

I highly endorse them both and crawlin' around with Cat and Inky!

Cool peoples, so should you travelers be in town, look 'em up!

Guaranteed fun!

Aloha,

Arty

PS - Cat and Inky -- I'll be in Greenwich, CT in a couple of weeks for a short stop. We just might have to hook it up again (for a much more toned down crawl!).

Yeah a calmer night,
maybe a drink at Zombie H. with no fire.
greenwich is a short train ride away.
keep in touch

T

hey manic cat
Just wanted to introduce myself to NYC Tiki afficionados. My name is Steve and I'm opening a new Tiki Bar in NYC at 538 14th st. bet. A & B. It's the bar formerly known as Barmacy. It'll be called Otto's Shrunken Head. We are actually open now and in the middle of re-decorating We don't have our actual tiki bar section of our bar set up yet and are still working on the drink menu but if anyone wants to come down and check out the progress, I'll give them the 3 cent tour. just ask for me, I'm usually there after 7pm
steve

MC

Whoo-hoo!

I couldn't make it there last night, but I'll be there SOON.
(I'll confirm with Uncle Arty, but plan on the Tiki Centralites stopping by on Sunday, Oct. 13)--see Zombie Hut thread in Events.

Manic Kitty

T

manic cat
sounds good, let me know around what time so I can arange to be around
steve

MC

I might as keep a nice, clean archive of NYC's Tiki. Here's the link to the First Tiki Crawl.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1087&forum=4&45

MC

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1256&forum=4&start=0

Second Tiki Crawl.

Zombie Hut was delightful when sober as well as when drunk. Good mai tai and friendly bartender staff. Yummy tiki shots.

Otto's Shrunken Head was a very cool, unique NYC Tiki time. Punk rock, Playboy pinball machine, Patty's Passions, and Pang's Punch. Steve Pang is a wonderful host and seems very dedicated to making Otto's an enjoyable and swank place. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with so many cool people. I think that Otto's will develop a nice community. I liked the drinks (Missionary's Downfall, Drunken Bastard, Patty's and Pang's) EXCEPT the Zombie. The Hawaiian Punch mixer was cost-efficient but not part of my personal tiki esthetic.

Inky,
what's you email address. I got a b-day invite for you.
Manic

MC

Does anyone know what time is Otto's Shrunken Head opening party on Sat. Oct. 19th?

T

hey guys
steve from otto's here.
thanks for coming by last sunday and am glad you guys had a good time.
our party starts at 7pm hope you guys can make it.
ps check out today's (10-17) NY Post for a feature on NY Tiki bars

T

It took a while but I found the NY Post article on their web site:

http://www.pagesix.com/goingout/23536.htm

Unfortunately, there are no pictures.

T

Isn't it so typical of America that all the tiki bars in New York closed about 10-20 years ago, and now that tiki is trendy all these new ones are opening?

Be prepared for retro googie coffee shops around the corner (after we finish tearing down all the real ones) now that the retro 50s diners are "soooo 80s".

MC

Granted I haven't been to any "original" tiki bars other than the Tonga Room in San Francisco, but I don't think these new places in NYC are trying to be "retro" or re-enact the tiki era that once was. They are not presenting themselves as "Trader Vics 2000" but as tiki-inspired NYC locales. It isn't a flashback; it's a "here" and "now" experience. (does that make sense?) They are definately as New York City as they are Tiki--its a cool combination. They are the modern metropolis happening at this moment and the timeless dream.
To me, there's nothing retro about it. It's nothing like the 1950 and 1960s tiki scene I've read about nor the attempt to copy it.
Maybe uncle arty can give his two cents being that he now knows both So. Cal (old school) and NYC (new school) tiki bars.

T

maniccat wrote:
"To me, there's nothing retro about it. It's nothing like the 1950 and 1960s tiki scene I've read about nor the attempt to copy it."

If the 50s and 60s tiki places had never existed would the new ones be opening? I doubt it.

S

Hey Cat,

I think you nailed it in your summary. I thought "Otto's" was super cool and it had a modern flair with a gritty New York edge. Steve was a great host -- great Aloha spirit to let us sample and critic his drinks. He also even ran out to get us some Kennedy Fried Chicken!

Personally, I am not caught up in this "retro thing" or ultra snobby about authenticity, or even the music played in these bars. To me it's about meeting cool people that are interesting and who have some common interests. I don't have to explain my love of Tiki, Exotica Music, or obsession with vintage mug collecting to this group because you know how it is! I love the West Coast Vintage Bars and there are a few great ones left in the East (I'll post when I get home).

I also dig these new "Here and Now" Tiki Bars (with the exception of the Tiki Room on 22nd) in New York. It's a shame that Trader Vic's and the Hawaii Kai are gone but they're not comin' back!

To me, it's more about the people I meet than the bars. Hell, I would rather live in the now and meet people while I can. Life is too short to dwell in the past. It's a real drag to sit in a cool tiki bar and drink alone. I do that enough as it is with my travel schedule!

So many Mahalos to you, Steve, Manic Cat, and Inkylouise for keeping an open mind and keeping the Aloha Spirit alive. Meeting you is what it's all about (to me). The rest is all ambiance.

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

S

A couple of more points, just to do justice to NYC Tiki...

Waikiki Wally's, Zombie Hut, and Otto's Shrunken Head all serve drinks out of Tiki Mugs. I must applaud them for this effort because there are very few bars that do this anymore.

Wally's and The Zombie Hut were outfitted in Bamboo and Wally's sported that cool Crazy Al Tiki in the Window.

Now here is the best part! Otto's Shrunken Head had several bitchen Tikis carved by Wayne Combs and one even shoots fog out of his nose! Otto's also has some very cool puffer fish lamps and a great display of vintage tiki mugs. I love the space for live bands and there is even a photo booth that has a pre-existing tiki scene in the booth. As I said before, the place is gritty -- reminded me of some of the old punk clubs I went to in the 80's. Very cool vibe! So if you are in the area, I highly recommend checking it out! Enjoy!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

T

I wasn't knocking the establishment of new tiki bars. On the contrary, I applaud it! The more the better I say, old or new. I was merely pointing out the irony that quite often things we lose in one decade eventually become popular again in another.

I know Trader Vic. Trader Vic is a friend of mine. Waikiki Wally's is no Trader Vic.
But it is an attempt to replicate the tropical-themed watering holes of yesteryear, even if it is not (shudder!) retro.

T

I stole this from the Exotica mailing list.

Todays NY Post's article

"Let's Get Pacific"

Mentioned are:

Otto's Shrunken Head: 538 E. 14th St. (between Ave.A & B) [formerly Barmacy]

Tiki Room: 4 W. 22nd St at 5th ave.

Lei Bar @ Niagara: 112 Ave. A at E. 7th St.

Waikiki Wally's: 101 E. 2nd St (Bet. 1st & A)

Zombie Hut: 261 Smith St. at Degraw, Brooklyn

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2002-10-18 12:56 ]

T

hey guys thanks for the kind words about otto's. I knew that I could never come close to the Hawaii Kai or Trader vic's. Mainly because we have very little money. In new your real estate is expensive and to do up a tiki temple as it should is just not feasible so we went the route that we did. Maybe it's just "Tiki flavored" or "Tiki from concentrate" but as a previous poster wrote as long as you have a good time, that's what's important. we may not be hawaii kai but I guarantee that you'll have as much fun at my bar as you would there.
thanks again for the support and hope to see you at the opening!
steve
otto's shrunken head

"Meeting you is what it's all about (to me). The rest is all ambiance. " - Stentiki

AMEN!

inky

T

hey all
steve from otto's shrunken head here. Just wanted to thank everyone who came down to the grand opening and made it a huge sucess. hope this is a good omen for bringing tiki back to nyc.
mahalo!

MC

Yeah, I hear ya'll now. NYC is a revival of the best part, the tiki spirit--"a good feeling."

Hey Steve,
the editor from http://www.atomicmag.com wants me to do a short feature on Otto's. Can I swing by the joint on Thurs. night after 10pm to pick your brain?
Hey, Inky, wanna help me out?
Manic

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies