Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New york City TIKI

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

T

sure, thursday sounds great. let me know around what time I should be there.
steve
otto's shrunken head

T

sure, thursday sounds great. let me know around what time I should be there.
steve
otto's shrunken head

T

sorry for the double reply and 10pm is great.
I just got up
steve

Sure, would love to!!!

MC

Inky, Steve,
sorry I'm cluttering the thread (but I don't have both your private emails)
I won't be at Otto's until 10:30 tonight.
seee you later

what the hell are you all babbling about. this thread is so f-ing lame. hey blah blah blah lets meet at blah blah blah. dorks, does this relate to the original. i believe i saw a web site of an acid trip of a tiki bar. get it straight you nerds.

[ Edited by: ParrotHead on 2002-10-24 21:51 ]

[ Edited by: ParrotHead on 2002-10-24 22:25 ]

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:16 ]

I can't make the opening--I have a comic book class. What's the gallery's address? I would love to drop by.
Also, anybody know anything about "El Patio Tiki Dive" in LES? It's in my hood and I still need to check it out because of the name.

MC

I spent another wild night at Waikiki Wally's--my head's still spinning.

"Waikiki Wally's is no Trader Vic. But it is an attempt to replicate the tropical-themed watering holes of yesteryear, even if it is not (shudder!) retro. "

WW is going for a purist style/Trader Vic rip-off, but its NYC charm is that its owned and connected to Lucky Cheng's--a drag queen themed restaurant. By my group's fourth volcano bowl, the owner was buying us one on the house. I was wearing a dancing girl outfit for the Halloween Parade, so Cheng brought out his feather boas and wigs plus hula skirts, snapping up Polaroids with funny bermuda hats and silk gloves. He showed me pics from the night before where he and two topless women were swimming in the tiki waterfall! The cuckatoo, wally was definately enjoying our raucous time. Soon, we were with our tiki drinks doing Kareoke at Lucky Cheng's with the drag queen dj. It was out-of-control. For me, I enjoy the hybrid experience of Drag Tiki and take it as purely NYC.

S

Hey Cat,

Sounds like a wild time at Wally's! Pure NYC Exotica fun!

To me Waikiki Wally's does not seem like a Trader Vic's ripoff. It feels more to me like some of the New England style tiki bars/restaurants (see New England Tiki loop for pics) I experienced during my recent "Uncle Arty's Excellent Adventure."

It also kinda reminds me of a more modern and mini version of Sam's Seafood in HB with the mural and waterfall. But of course, I have never had the good fortune of seeing topless women in Sam's Waterfall!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

• Thor Heyerdahl

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-10-29 21:49 ]

I'll be in NYC on Saturday November 2nd. The only free time I have is from about 1-6pm. I know most of the "Tiki" bars open later, but does anyone have any ideas where we could go in the mid-town area? Thanks.
Cab

MC

there's not anything that I can think of in Mid-town. East village is just a short cab ride away.

S

I'm with Manic Cat. Head down to the East Village. Nothing in Midtown during the day. If you like "swanky" Asian Fusion you can try Ruby Foos, but you'll have to settle for a cosmo 'cuz they make a miserable mai tai.

WOW! What a cool forum this is! I just stumbled upon it.

My name's Drew and I'm in the middle of a (so far) year and a half long project to turn the upstairs of my house into a Tiki oasis.

I'm big into Shag/Bosko and authentic bars. I grew up in Seattle, remember going to Trader Vic's there and have since spent time in New York City, Huntington Beach, CA, New Zealand and San Francisco (RIP Lilo Lounge).

I spent the last few hours pouring over this site getting great ideas for bars to go check out. Can't wait.

Good to be aboard!!

T

hey there all you NYC tiki-philes
We here at OTTO's Shrunken Head are starting our WEEKLY TIKI! Starting Mon. Nov 18th and every Monday thereafter the fabulous MOONLIGHTERS set up residency here. They'll perform there Rootsy brand of hawaiian exotica. Come down and be apart of this tropical paradise!
steve
Otto's is at 538 E. 14th st. bet A&B
212 228 2240
ps Look for articles on NYC TIKI Scene in next issue of Atomic Magazine and upcoming Sunday NY Times

MC

Yeah, check out the atomic article. My good friend, alana wrote it.
See you at Ottos!
Manic

Hey did anybody see the Times yesterday?

Kudos to Otto's, Zombie and Wally's for puttin' NYC tiki back on the map! Interesting socio-political theories, Nyc is the new Pearl Harbor, no?

Hey Manic Cat; maybe this will up our New York city membership! Russell better get out there and start pressing the flesh!

xx

The other night, I was actually reconsidering the business card idea you had. It could be fun. wanna give it a try?

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:16 ]

...I just want to say that some of the stuff printed was not exactly the way I said it, but that is not unusual or new to me. As they say, there is no BAD press (all PR is good).
For Tiki, too.

MC

It just amazes me how much NYC Tiki has boomed since this thread's first post on June 21st!

S

On 2002-11-18 09:49, inkylouise wrote:

Hey Manic Cat; maybe this will up our New York city membership! Russell better get out there and start pressing the flesh!

xx

Aloha Inky and Cat,

I think I can help Russel jumpstart his campaign in January. Uncle Arty's coming back to NYC January 17 and 18.

Get ready for NYC Pubcrawl III!!!

Quote: "BRIAN FISHERMAN came from California with his vibes and a dream to play his Polynesian-tinged exotica lounge music in a New York City tiki bar."

Does anyone know if this guy is The Fisherman from Frenchy?

CA

HE is!!! HE is!!! HE ISSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

and don't miss a show he does!!!

the bastard split are band 'APE' in San Fran and left us Vibe'less... now there are bands with vibes everywhere :( ,at least in LA.

he is the greatest!!!!

old band pic of brian and APE @
http://www.tikimania.com/ape.html

Sten- Consider it booked! Maybe next trip we can head out to some of the outer regions of NYC tiki, ie. New Jersey!

Plus, Russ and I are moving this month, and we have dismantled our tiki hut. Perhaps by January we'll have a new one together at the new digs! Inks

Manic- I am up for cards, I knew you would come around! Let's get together soon and work it up.

Sven- I don't know how far off your quotes @ Ny times were, but they came off Ok. The article was still really cool, and actually justifed my hobby to my way-too-ultra-hip co-workers.

xxInky

T

Brian Fisherman is the same Fisherman from Frenchy. A great record if you can find it by the way. He's playing at Otto's on Thurs. the 21st so if you get a chance check him out
steve

Hey Al and Mig and Harlan and ...everyone! I didn't know y'all were in here...thanks for seeing that article-pretty cool,eh,baby?!

Everyone, its great to see this shit taking off, and we're all going to be on board! The show at Otto's was awsome, and we're looking forward to playing regular Monday night shows there, with the Moonlighters, starting in January.

The Tiki/Burlesque crossover is being managed from this corner- look for continuing guest performances by the likes of Harvest Moon, Dirty Martini, and Julie Atlas Muz at our tiki-trio gigs, As well as full Burlesque shows coming up on December 19 and 21st (This will be Christmas themed) at the Slipper Room

Aw heck, just check the website fishermansburlesque.com and email me at [email protected] to be on the mailing list. (disclaimer-the web site is new and unspectacular now but just wait)

Also, everyone go get your Frenchy records- they are still available at many fine stores, but the distributer may drop us anytime for low sales (the band has been decomishioned for over five years, and annual sales are down in the teens.)
At that point, they will be hard to find=$$$

Ha ha am I kicked off this site yet???

Fisherman

Just wanted to say I checked out Otto's last night. It was AWESOME! Anyone who hasn't been, check it out!

Also saw Waikiki Wally's and it blew. Chock full of families and douchebags from Jersey and vaguely smelled of vomit...

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:15 ]

On 2002-11-24 14:46, Scamboogah wrote:

Also saw Waikiki Wally's and it blew. Chock full of families and douchebags from Jersey and vaguely smelled of vomit...

What? They don't have douchebags in Bridgeport, Connecticut? And anyway, what do you mean by "douchebags from Jersey"?

And what's so necessarily bad about families?

I'm with Lance Samason - please get it together.

Scamboogah,
Sorry to hear that you didn't like waikiki wally's. i was there again last night, and I don't think it's barf that you smell, but actually the bird poop! Wally the cuckatoo, and his feather friends, live in a big glass cage and it emits a strong natural odor.

The vibe last night was frat-boyish --resulting in a similar displeasure which you expressed. But, I solved this problem quite easily for myself--my group and I sat in the side room. Did you give it a try? No one else was in there to bother us, it was dark and comfortable, multiple rounds of volcano bowls, new tiki masks, and it was closer to the birds!

Did you like Cheng at least? He had an awesome get-up last night of cocunut bra, grass skirt, and red feather hat and boa. He was completely into helping to sing "Happy B-Day" for my friend. Or did you see Lucky Cheng's kareoke connected to Wally's? For $2 a song, it's great chance to get on stage to show that a star is born!

How's tiki in CT? (maybe answer this is a new post. I am a purist of the NYC Tiki thread. :) I'm from Wilton, and only know of some Chinese restaurant that serve tiki drinks in Danbury.

manic NYCat

And i'm not knocking any frat-boys in particular!
I just wasn't in the mood.

Sorry about that. Not to knock anyone in Jersey in particular, it's just an easy way of classifying a 'certain group of people' that manage to turn Manhattan into a really awful place every week between Friday and Sunday. Most of them are probably from Westchester and Connecticut anyway.

But the main reason for this post is to get this thread back up top. Gotta REPRESENT East Coast!

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:15 ]

T

hey there
hey there fellow nyc tiki-philes. Otto's is havin' our holiday party on sunday dec 15th there'll be open bar for a couple hours, food and DJs. Happy Holidays and thanks for supporting tiki in NYC
steve

MC

sounds like my kind of holiday party!
What time does it start?
What can I contribute to the celebration? more snacks, i.e.?
manic cat

[ Edited by: manic cat on 2002-12-13 14:44 ]

T

8pm sorry bout that, just bring yourself and anyone else you want
steve

MC

Steve--Thanks for the generousity at Otto's last night. I have a really bad cold but I still had to drag myself down to the shin-dig. My friends dug the volcano bowl with ginger beer (forgot the name) but sadly, my nose was too stuffed up to enjoy it. Hey, I love the artwork in the back room of the baby doll bodies with hard-carved tiki heads. That's how my baby would look like if I ever have one! Do you have the artist's website? I'm interested in owning one.

T

thanks for comin' down and being a trooper!
the artist's name is Gunji here's his e-mail: [email protected]. He was there on sunday. If I'd known I would have introduced you
glad you had a good time
steve

So what's up in the world of NYC Tiki? Steve, how's Otto's doin? Haven't been there in a couple of months, but I'm supporting you fully in spirit.

T

Aloha! from Otto's
Things are pretty good here considering we're trapped in the never-ending winter of 2003. We've still got the Moonlighters and Fisherman playing here as well as some punk and rock on the weekends. We just had a tribute to the Buzzcocks on friday and next month we're having one for the Cramps. I went to Miami about a 2 weeks ago and drove to the Mai-Kai in Ft. Lauderdale for the first time. Man waht a wonderful experience. It was stepping back in time. I ate outside in the tiki garden and saw the show afterwards. It was a truly great old-school Tiki experience. Let me know when you're around next.

steve

Greetings Tiki sisters and brothers, and a special greeting to all of you who live in or who will be visiting Gotham soon. Just wanted to check in on this thread and fill you in on my recent visit to the much talked about JADE ISLAND on New York City's own Island of Misfit Toys, Staten Island. First let me just say that if you don't own a vehicle or have a convenient means of transportation...do not go!! Not because Jade Island isn't cool and fun (it is), but because Jade Island isn't cool and fun ENOUGH to put in that kind of commuting effort into it.

Jade Island is alot like Chans Dragon Inn in Ridgefield, NJ but maybe a notch or two lower on the vintage vibe. From the looks of some of the newspaper clippings they had hanging on the wall in the lobby next to a counter where they sell Lotto tickets (yeah..they really sell lotto there!!), they have been there since at least 1972. And, unlike the free standing building that Chan's is located in, Jade is located in a K-Mart shopping plaza (eesh) not far from the Staten Island Mall (eesh), and a bit of a hike by cab from the S.I. ferry terminal. It had all the cool trappings of a Tiki/Polynesian joint i.e., cool fountains, tikis everywhere, transparent beach scenes hanging on the walls, pufferfish and tiki lamps and a pretty decent tiki bar/cocktail lounge adjacent to the actual dining room. All waiters were dressed in Hawaiian shirts. My girlfriend and I went on a Friday night, and the place was packed (!), and then some, with people waiting for tables. First stop-the lounge. After instantly noticing Trader Vic products behind the bar I ordered a couple of Mai-Tais. Tasty...BUT...made with GRENADINE. Uh-oh. Shortly after that we sat down in one of the tiki-hut booths. Pretty cool. Even cooler was the drink menu which had real photographs of the drinks. After I was done with my Mai-Tai, I ordered a 'Pinapple Paradise' which was a frothy Pina Colada type drink served in a real pineapple shell and garnished with cherry/pineapple chunk on an umbrella. Pretty damn good! My girlfriend ordered the 'Jade Island Special' which was served in a really cool looking hula-girl tiki mug (see picture) that they let us buy for $6.50! Also pretty cool. Also noticed Navy Grog and another drink served in an actual Tiki mug who's name I forgot (shoulda wrote down those damn drink names). Another drink was served in a ceramic coconut shell mug called the 'Coconut Kiss' and of course they had Zombies as well a few other cool looking drinks. Aside from all the regular kind of Chinese food they had the same 'Hawaii 4-0' dish that Chan's had as well as the very cleverly named 'Hawaii 3-0' that I don't think Chan's had (hey they gotta corner the market somehow). After eating some Sesame Shrimp I ordered one of those damn Zombies which was actually very good!! Shortly after that, for some reason I started to get really sleepy, musta been the commute or all that sesame shrimp and shrimp toast appetizers.

Overall it was a pretty damn cool place, but for me, not really worth trekin all that way. That kinda travel warrants a Mai-Kai-esque pot 'o gold at the end of the Tiki rainbow. The real buzz-kill was having to wait in the S.I. Ferry Terminal for 45 minutes for the boat ride back. I know, I know...we shoulda hung out at Jade a little longer so we didn't have to wait that long but we had the schedule, uh...a little wrong. Boats only left at the top of the hour, not as we/I thought every half hour. With that said, I 'll just go on to state that I've heard many places reffered to as 'the arm-pit of the world' or other more elaborate, 'colorful' descriptives, but the Staten Island Ferry Terminal (on the Staten Island side) on a Friday night at 9:30 PM is the UNDISPUTED Armpit of the World, make no mistake about it!!

So....Chan's I'll see you again soon (easier to get to), and maybe Jade again (by limo!). Next stop...Lee's Hawaiian Islander in the very exotic and tropical city of Lyndhurst, NJ. 'Til then...Mahalo kids!!! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-03-31 23:37 ]

TC

don't forget the lee's in clifton too!

TC

TC
D

Tikichris-

How were these places? Were they easy to get to?

TC

both lee's were pretty easy to find. however, keep in mind that i drove to them from hoboken. i don't know what taking public transport to them would be like (especially from nyc).

clifton lee's website has some directions:

http://www.njdiningguide.com/lees.html

the one in clifton is better than the one in lyndhurst but still no chan's dragon inn. both lee's are worth checking out, in my opinion. but if i could only choose one, it would but the clifton lee's by a wide margin. & i would try really really really hard to go when they had a hula show (hula show in suburban nj = rollicking good time!).

good luck/keep us posted!
tiki chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-04-01 08:25 ]

D

TikiChris-

So Lee's isn't as cool as Chan's?? Can we hear some detail on Lee's? Decor and vintage vibe and all that. How were the drinks??

:drink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies