Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies

Very good....

On 2014-04-26 11:33, SandraDee wrote:
You did a fantastic job! Are you going to add faux foliage/greenery/flowers to the space where they are displayed?

Probably not - the dining room does have some modicum of class. :) (And we're renting!) Those cabinets just screamed to be populated and then we scored some tiki mugs and then Pele arrived and then inspiration struck and then... well, I guess you never know!

My wife has joked (?) that we should get some white birds to clip onto the chandelier for the holidays, even though it doesn't go "round and round".

I can't wait to see the column get made and displayed in that corner :wink:

More likely I'll tackle Hina and Tangaroa-Ru, who should be pretty simple. Anyone know if Disney still has Uti in stock? (I'll try and call tomorrow.)

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-04-27 19:32 ]

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-04-27 19:33 ]

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-04-27 19:40 ]

What a great project! I love paper mache too, it's amazing what you can do with it. I enjoyed seeing your progress here very much and they turned out just fabulous.

This is fantastic. Wonderful work and companion pieces to Uti and Pele. (And yes, they still have Uti in stock)

Also- what is the name of the tiki mug you used for a comparison shot? I'd love to add that to my collection.

On 2014-05-13 08:15, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
(And yes, they still have Uti in stock)

Yep! I called the other week, and one should be en-route to my little ETR at the moment, although I'm lounging about in Switzerland at the moment.

Also- what is the name of the tiki mug you used for a comparison shot? I'd love to add that to my collection.

It's a vintage Tiki Bob c/o my loving wife!

On 2014-05-13 17:51, Joshua Bell wrote:

On 2014-05-13 08:15, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
(And yes, they still have Uti in stock)

Yep! I called the other week, and one should be en-route to my little ETR at the moment, although I'm lounging about in Switzerland at the moment.

It's a vintage Tiki Bob c/o my loving wife!

Enjoy Swiss!

And off to hunt for a Tiki Bob's...

Try not to gain weight when you have your meals in the dining room. With all that eye candy it could happen. This has been a fun ride I hope the trip is not over, Wendy

I'm not saying I'm working on another one.

Any forward progress on the new one?

Erich

Traveling at the moment and all I have handy is this pre-skinning image of Hina's lower body - I'm making her in three parts.

I left her torso and lower body assembled and drying at home, but I'd already painted her head. Next up: touch ups - sanding, another coat of papier mache including attaching her head, then painting.

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-06-26 19:43 ]

Time for more sanding and some touch-ups.

Great job man. Good stuff...

Any hopes of attaching a little tube to her hat so she can "rain"? Heheh

L

On 2014-07-03 19:35, Joshua Bell wrote:

Well I'm feeling a little stupid for not noticing this before, Hina was the inspiration for the WDW Polynesian Village Resort mug:

Yep! Originally she had a smaller hat - no wide brim - and looked even more like the mug. The large Hina on the grounds of the Polynesian and the small resin figures match her original configuration. Only the Hina at the DL ETR has the wide hat, which I prefer.

I found an old photo showing the water spraying out from the narrow hat at an angle, whereas with the wide-brimmed hat the water drops straight down. I'm guessing the hat change was for keeping the water under control. But as I said, I like the look of it more anyway.

On 2014-07-04 08:17, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Any hopes of attaching a little tube to her hat so she can "rain"? Heheh

Keep watching this space! :)

I've actually never seen that mug! Whoa! Any story behind it?

Here she is all together:

I just finished attaching her feet to the (weighted) base, so she's drying again. One more bit of sanding, then finally paint!

H

I love what you are doing.

Here's Hina Kaluaa - 99% done. (The remaining 1% needs to wait until further... seasonal materials are acquired.)

Due to her hat, she photographs poorly except in bright ambient daylight. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow of Hina with her friends.

T

Groovy.

Here's the whole gang:

Pele, Ngendei, Hina Kaluua, and Uti

SPECTACULAR! Love em.

My name is Maui. Natives call me the mighty one.
I tame the playful sun, and gave my people time.
Now they set their clocks by mine,
for I am tropic standard time

Whelp, this one took a little longer for various reasons. Here we go...

Cardboard skeleton:

Papier mache starts to go on. After this was taken I actually redid the head since the shape wasn't working.

Drying, along with his playful little friend.

Then a bunch of time passes, and:

With the gang:

No, he's not a functional fountain. Maui is, however, a functional clock! You can see about five minutes passed between those photos. One of the time consuming parts of the build was that I didn't decide to make him a clock until after the build was complete, so I needed to hollow him out.

I'm not thrilled with the colors - the red and yellow both need to be a little more orange. I wish I could color-match Pele! Maui's paint job is also far less forgiving (the little blue face guy and playful sun)

A

These are awesome! I hope to see more. It is very tricky copying the original statues and doing them justice. And you nailed it. I hope there is a Tangoroa Ru coming one day to keep Hina company.

This is so awesome. I wish Disney would actually make these!

T

So creative and they look amazing! Well done!

H

Amazing work, very fresh idea.

I finally had a chance to add that "seasonal" highlight to Hina, so she's now more of a rain goddess:

Ah, the sprinkle that startles first timers in the ETR garden - unless I claim that prime spot first and enjoy the refreshing shower. Here there are no puddles to clean up, at least!

No other build news to share on this thread, but I did do an exploratory sketch a few months back:

Very nice! Tinsel? I also like the Indiana Jones at the South Pole :wink:

Time to bust out the cardboard, paper, flour, salt and water again...

Not done skinning it yet, but the cardboard was getting soggy so I had to stop for the time being. Dried out nice and fast in the sun.

On 2015-01-17 20:38, MadDogMike wrote:
Very nice! Tinsel? I also like the Indiana Jones at the South Pole :wink:

Yep - tinsel! Had the idea from the get-go but didn't see any in stores and forgot until the holiday season rolled around.

And thanks - Indy is another hobby, but I didn't get to play in the snow until I visited my folks back in Calgary over the holidays.

Base coat:

... and mostly-finished paint job, including weathering:

You are so good at this. Keep it up. Wendy

Awesome

You continue to impress. Kudos.

H

Nice.

Incredibly cool! Are these weather proof?

As for Maui, you could make a motorized belt that would push marbles into the dipper bamboo and have it work the same way as water. Just a thought.

They all look GREAT!

With all the cardboard and packing paper piling up around the holiday season I had to put one together. This time, not ETR related at all.

I started by just rolling up some cardboard and drawing a face and scoring:

Then unrolled, cut, re-rolled, repeating as necessary. Got out the hot glue to hold the pieces together:

Then used "cooked" paste this time, which dries clear:

I'm going to leave this one unpainted.

H

Amazing, so good.

Way Kool
Love it
Reminds me of

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-12-30 15:41 ]

Makes me want to sing Haaaaaaawian EyyyyyyyyyyyyyyE!!! Good job, Wendy

Wendy- funny
We be posting at the same time

Yep, two winners for IDing the inspiration!

Nice Josh!

Another "carved" tiki. My mom flipped through The Book of Tiki for inspiration while she was visiting last year and selected the good old Witco fountain as the basis. Excellent taste! She did the sketching, I did the cutting:

And so it sat for a year until I finally papered it:

Then shellacked it:

The shellac turned out okay, still experimenting with how to finish these guys.

No build photos this time, but it's basically the same as the Hawaiian Eye tiki earlier in this thread or the one I made for an art swap last year. I've learned my lesson - always "carve" two layers deep. And I wish I'd thought about hot glue back when I started this thread - so much easier than tape!

That's a favorite design of ours. You did it really well. I miss the steps but the final bunch of photos are wonderful.

Do you have a tiki room with all of your creations displayed? Wendy

Lookin good bruddah

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies