Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

Time to catch up on the news ...

I just picked up a bottle of Castillo white, and as jokeiii and CincyTikiCraig astutely point out, it indeed tastes remarkably like Bacardi (in a good way). Plastic 1.75L bottle and minimal info on the label, I suspect it's Barcardi's way of getting rid of extra product and/or writing it off their books somehow. I need to do further tasting and compare it to some other basic white rums, as well as Bacardi's higher end whites, but I can see that it makes perfect sense for The Mai-Kai to use.

I made some progress on the Kohala Bay front. I'll post more over on the Kohala Bay thread, but basically I eliminated Plantation Dark as a preferred option. It's now #7 (below Appleton Reserve) on my list of subs ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes
Instead, I settled on 6 parts Coruba as the best single rum to mix with O.F.T.D. (6 parts to 1). I'm not sure exactly where that will fall compared to all the other blends that have been proposed, but I aim to find out.

I just scored a bottle of Hamilton Jamaican Black, which is included in many of the new suggested blends, so it's time to get back to work. I plan to mix all of the suggested multi-rum blends and do a blind tasting at some point soon try and come up with a ranking of the blends that come closest to Kohala Bay.

The bigger news are some things actually happening down at The Mai-Kai. This Thursday, as part of the Tiki Bingo event (hosted by the Gumbo Limbo Chapter of the Fraternal Order Of Moai), there will be a special flight of Mai Tais available. According to the Facebook event, "Mai Tai Madness" will include "a tasting of this classic Tiki cocktail as interpreted by three iconic Tiki restaurants: Trader Vic's, Don The Beachcomber, and The Mai-Kai." As far as I know, The Mai-Kai has never offered alternative versions of the Mai Tai. It's just $10 for the flight, but you must be in the Samoa Room and order before 6 p.m. More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/239193739883573/

Another opportunity to taste a rare classic happens every Friday, when The Molokai bar now presents "Flashback Friday." According to a post on the official Facebook page, The Mai-Kai will be "breaking out a vintage cocktail from our recipe vault" every month and serving it on Fridays. The April cocktail is the Suffering Bastard, which we enjoyed when it came out of the vault back in 2013. It's been spotted very rarely since then, so this is a great opportunity to sample this classic. I missed the first Friday, but I hope to head down for one or more Fridays this month and report back.

Note that this is original Mai-Kai mixologist Mariano Licudine's own version of the Bastard from the early 1960s. The cocktail was created in the 1940s by noted bartender Joe Scialom at the Long Bar in Cairo, Egypt. Trader Vic also had a popular version, and Mariano's take is similar. It was always an off-menu drink, and as demand waned the recipe laid dormant in The Mai-Kai vault.

Here's the review and tribute recipe from 2013:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/06/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-off-menu-suffering-bastard-was-just-a-mai-tai-with-a-kick/

The Suffering Bastard first returned in March 2013. New photo and update coming soon.

Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-04-11 21:26 ]

On 2017-04-11 21:26, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Time to catch up on the news ...

I just picked up a bottle of Castillo white, and as jokeiii and CincyTikiCraig astutely point out, it indeed tastes remarkably like Bacardi (in a good way).

Wait a minute - something tasting like Bacardi white rum and that's a GOOD thing?!?

I normally wouldn't touch Bacardi's standard white (aka Superior), but at about half the price and having many of the same basic qualities needed in a white Puerto Rican rum, Ron Castillo serves its purpose as a base rum in Mai-Kai cocktails. I also just picked up a bottle of Castillo gold, so I'll soon be putting both to the test.

Bacardi gets a bad rap, IMHO. They do a good job with higher-end rums. Of the whites, I recommend Maestro Gran Reserva and the 89-proof Heritage.
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/05/the-difference-between-all-those-bacardi-white-rums.html

J

On 2017-04-16 00:10, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Bacardi gets a bad rap, IMHO. They do a good job with higher-end rums. Of the whites, I recommend Maestro Gran Reserva and the 89-proof Heritage.
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/05/the-difference-between-all-those-bacardi-white-rums.html

I wholeheartedly agree on the Heritage a/k/a "1919". Here in Miami I served some to a bunch of old Cuban guys (celebrating the death of Fidel) and their unanimous reaction was "Now THIS is the Bacardi I remember." At $1 more than the superior, it's a no-brainer. It's my go-to for daiquiris, mojitos, etc.

A few Mai-Kai moments during Miami Rum Festival

On Wednesday, I was honored to be among these fine Florida artists ...

From left: Tom Fowner, Will Anders, Rod North, Hurricane Hayward, Jeff Chouinard

I never get tired of a peek at the rum collection in the back bar ...

I've never seen that full bottle of Dagger before. Apparently the shelves were recently cleaned and the bottles rearranged.

Suffering Bastard on Flashback Friday ...

Mahalo Forbidden Island!

Over the past week, we've been conducting an elaborate blind tasting of 14 possible replacements for the late, lamented Kohala Bay dark Jamaican rum. Mahalo to everyone here on TC who posted suggested blends over on the Kohala Bay thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45641&forum=10&start=120

Results of the great Kohala Bay taste-off are now up on the blog in an enhanced section of the long-running "Rums of The Mai-Kai" page ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

The results are broken down into four tiers, with three making the top tier as the most worthy substitutes. All three were extremely close in funky flavor and fiery heat, but one blend emerged as my favorite ...

Our old standby recommendation of equal parts Smith & Cross and El Dorado 12 continues to lead the pack, topping some stiff competition from some creative blends. You can find the full recap and analysis of the tastings, plus a list of all 14 blends here:

Okole maluna!

I'm honored to be doing a special presentation during the finale of The Hukilau on June 11.

You'll also be able to order three "lost cocktails" from The Mai-Kai's 1956 menu.

This is the latest update in the ongoing guide to the distinctive juices used at The Mai-Kai. To recap the entire thread, go back to page 13 of this thread. The info below has been added to that page so it can be used as a complete reference guide. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180

EXCLUSIVE NEW INFO: Where to find the orange and grapefruit juices used at The Mai-Kai
New key lime juice revealed! **** Take a tour of the historic roadside stand selling these fresh juices

Juice industry news

Now, to the subject at hand:

KENNESAW ORANGE AND GRAPEFRUIT JUICES HIT RETAIL STORES

Among the many secrets of The Mai-Kai's famous cocktails are the fresh juices available only in South Florida. Our research revealed the souce of the fresh, unpasteurized orange and grapefruit juices as Kennesaw (http://www.kennesawjuice.com), a South Florida company that has been sourcing fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juices since the 1920s. It was assumed that these juices were available only for restaurants and non-consumer stores such as Restaurant Depot, but I've recently come across these sweet elixirs in several South Florida locations.

You can now find the juices in many Whole Foods stores ...

It's unclear how many South Florida locations carry Kennesaw juices, or how widespread the distribution is outside of this region, but it's definitely worth seeking out and inquiring. It's tagged as "local," so I'm afraid it may be limited.

If Kennesaw juices are unavailable in your local Whole Foods, the next best option may be Trader Joe's, which carries its own brand of unpasteurized juices ...

As noted back on the original thread, it's likely that these juices are sourced from Natalie's Orchid Island Juice Co., a premium brand of fresh Florida juice typically found in supermarkets with the disclaimer "minimally processed" but not technically "unpasteurized" ... http://www.orchidislandjuice.com/juices/orange/

My order of preference for OJ and grapefruit juice would be:

1. Kennesaw (unpasteurized)
  2. Trader Joe's (unpasteurized)
  3. Natalie's (minimally processed)

Note that white grapefruit juice was not available, only red. I'm told by manager Kern Mattei at The Mai-Kai that Kennesaw's juices are seasonal, and that white grapefruit appears only when it's fresh. But I've yet to see it in the stores.

Armed with these juices, you'll come much closer to the unique flavor profile of the cocktails at The Mai-Kai.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LIME JUICE?

The big missing link was still lime juice, which is reported to be a fresh key lime blend. It's much more tart then fresh-squeezed Persian limes, as detailed in the research on the original thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180
I was somewhat happy with my blend of 1 part fresh Persian limes mixed with 1 part of Mrs. Biddle's Key West brand key lime juice from concentrate (or similar). However, I knew this wasn't quite right, as detailed in our taste tests at Swanky's book release party in September. Then, I received a tip:

I was urged to check out an old-school juice market in Davie, not far from The Mai-Kai. Stores run by citrus groves are great remnants of Florida's past and are scattered all over the Sunshine State. I feel guilty that I too often forget about them and pass them by on my way to Publix. I know they often carry the freshest juices, but I wasn't sure about the state of the local juice market and have not frequented them lately. My tipster about this particular location urged me to look for the Kennesaw juices, plus a unique key lime juice not seen before.

So off I went. Here's a photo tour from my initial visits to Bob Roth's New River Groves in Davie, est. 1964.

You can't miss New River Groves when driving by on Griffin Road ...

A sign promises exactly what we're looking for ...

A peek around back reveals the fresh daily crop ...

New River Groves is famous for its key lime pies ...

The sprawling building contains several areas, including a juice bar, a cafe and a retail store ...

I now use this delicious pure, raw honey in my honey mix for Mai-Kai cocktails ...

As promised, I was able to find Kennsaw's orange and grapefruit juices ...

Here's a closer look at the grapefruit juice ...

Go back to page 13 to see my earlier review of the orange juice: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180
The grapefruit is just as fresh and pulpy, perfect in Mai-Kai cocktails. After repeated visits, I still haven't seen white grapefruit juice. If when it's in season, I wonder if it isn't sent to retail outlets since it's not considered as popular as the red juice.

I was momentarily distracted by this classic jukebox, with a song selection that seemingly hasn't changed since the 1970s ...

The gentleman in the photos is family patriarch Al Roth, father of Bob Roth and a local legend who died in 2015 at the ripe old age of 104. He operated groves until 1972. Son Bob Roth's own groves and market remain a family business after more than 50 years. The famous Terry's Homemade Key Lime Pie is based on the family matriarch's award-winning recipe. Terry Roth lost her battle with cancer in 2002, but her delicious pies live on.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/davie/fl-al-roth-obituary-20150216-story.html

Then I spotted the holy grail ...

The special ingredient in Terry's Homemade Key Lime Pie is also sold by the gallon jug ...

I rushed home to try it, and it didn't disappoint ...

It's not from concentrate, unlike the common supermarket brands ...

Here's my tasty booty from that first visit to New River Groves, including the requisite key lime pie sample ...

Bob Roth's New River Groves is open every day from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Official website: http://newrivergroves.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BobRothsNewRiverGroves/
Fruit and bakery items can be purchased and shipped throughout the United States and Canda. I did not see an option for ordering the lime juice, however it doesn't hurt to ask.

RATING THE KEY LIME JUICES

1. Terry's Key Lime Pie Juice (not from concentrate). Less tart and easier to drink than any key lime juice I've ever tasted. Very similar to the Mai-Kai juice I tasted back in September. It works well straight out of the bottle in rich Mai-Kai cocktails, but I also like to blend it with fresh squeezed Persian lime juice (2 parts key lime to 1 part Persian) to create a blend that works well in all Tiki cocktails.

2. Key lime juice from concentrate (Mrs. Biddle's or similar brand). On its own, this juice is extremely tart and hard to drink, so I like to blend it with equal parts fresh squeezed Persian lime juice. This dampens the tartness a bit, but it still falls short of the No. 1 choice above.

Postscript: I've been curious about the use of key lime juice in cocktails and wondered if there was a historical precedent. My questions were answered by a story I found online from Punch, published in January 2014, and titled "Why Your Daiquiri Isn't the Same as Hemingway's".
http://punchdrink.com/articles/why-your-daiquiri-isnt-the-same-as-hemingways/
In it, Jennifer Colliau, founder of Small Hand Foods, investigates why the limes America's bartenders used a century ago are at odds with the citrus we shake with today. The reason: Key limes were actually the more widely used during the golden age of the cocktail. "Until two hurricanes decimated Florida's groves in 1926 and 1928, the key breed ruled as America's common lime," Colliau writes. Her recipe for the Key Lime Daiquiri is the one I now follow using my key lime juice blend: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/key-lime-daiquiri/

I'm not sure exactly how this may have influenced Mariano Licudine or The Mai-Kai. Persian limes would have been prevalent across the country by the 1950s. The use of key lime juice in the restaurant's bars could even be a more recent development. Whatever the origin, it's just one more distinctive twist that gives The Mai-Kai's cocktails a deliciously unique flavor profile.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-05-27 00:51 ]

Great work, as always, Hurricane! I notice that the Key Lime Pie Juice bottle lists it's ingredients as key lime juice and lemon juice. I wonder if a mix of equal parts key lime, Persian lime, and lemon would yield something very similar to Mai Kai's juice blend. I will try it out, but much like the Kohala Bay blend experiments, I have to go off of taste and not actual experience with the Mai Kai's cocktails. I have been using a mix of fresh Persian and Nellie and Joe's bottled key lime for a while now and I prefer it to simple Persian lime juice. It certainly has a delicious and distinctive tartness that works well in all the Mai Kai cocktails I've made.

Wonderful developments all around Sir Hayward, but I wanted to comment on this matter...

On 2017-05-26 00:38, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Postscript: I've been curious about the use of key lime juice in cocktails and wondered if there was a historical precedent. My questions were answered by a story I found online from Punch, published in January 2014, and titled "Why Your Daiquiri Isn't the Same as Hemingway's".
http://punchdrink.com/articles/why-your-daiquiri-isnt-the-same-as-hemingways/
In it, Jennifer Colliau, founder of Small Hand Foods, investigates why the limes America's bartenders used a century ago are at odds with the citrus we shake with today. The reason: Key limes were actually the more widely used during the golden age of the cocktail. "Until two hurricanes decimated Florida's groves in 1926 and 1928, the key breed ruled as America's common lime," Colliau writes. Her recipe for the Key Lime Daiquiri is the one I now follow using my key lime juice blend: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/key-lime-daiquiri/

I'm not sure exactly how this may have influenced Mariano Licudine or The Mai-Kai. Persian limes would have been prevalent across the country by the 1950s. The use of key lime juice in the restaurant's bars could even be a more recent development. Whatever the origin, it's just one more distinctive twist that gives The Mai-Kai's cocktails a deliciously unique flavor profile.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-05-26 00:39 ]

As stated last week in the "What are you drinking..." thread, I've been trying to replicate a magical daiquiri that I recently had the pleasure of consuming at Floridita. Having depleted an entire bottle of Havana Club 3 year in a matter of days trying to crack the code, I came to the conclusion that it's not a matter of proportions or technique, but of citrus (or perhaps even the sugar). What does Cuba use today for lime juice? I never saw a single lime the entire time I was there, not behind the bars or in the markets. Juice was pre-squeezed (or perhaps thawed) into plastic squeeze bottles everywhere I went. The possibility of key limes crossed my mind, so I went to a Mexican market and grabbed a dozen for a buck. I'd never tried key lime in a cocktail before. I squeezed one and it produced a measly 1/4 oz of juice. Another got me to 1/2 oz, or roughly half of what I was using when making Daiquiris with Persians. Mixed with 2 tsp sugar (in Cuba they didn't use syrup), a dash of maraschino and 2 ounces Havana Club 3, I was finally onto something. Something really good. I'm still making minor tweaks but that ratio produces a fabulous drink. Note that I'm using less lime and sugar than the recipe in the Punch article to better highlight the rum. For me this works.

Going back to how Persians took the place of Key Limes in the late 20s, wouldn't that lead us to believe that what Hemingway was drinking in Cuba and what the original creators of Tiki cocktails were using in the 30s onward, were likely Persians? I'm sure there's plenty of research on this topic out there that could prove otherwise but the time line seems to lead to the fact that by tiki's heyday, Persians were the lime of choice. But then again, who knows how the flavor of the fruit has been altered over the last four score.

Hurricane and Mike Hooker: excellent posts! Very informative.

J

HH,

A bit further south in Miami, we have a chain of Cuban juiceries called "El Palacio de los Jugos" (The Palace of the Juices) and not only do they carry unpasteurized juices, they will also juice oranges, pineapples, etc. to order. The prices are also very, very reasonable.

Lastly, most of the Costco warehouses around here will carry Lambeth Groves unpasteurized orange juice ($7/gal!) which to my palate tastes as good as Kennesaw.

Hope this helps someone!

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2017-05-26 21:30 ]

LeftarmofBuddha: It's good to hear you're able to re-create the Mai-Kai cocktail experience without ever having had the pleasure of tasting the real deal. Perhaps some day you'll reach Nirvana ;>) ... In regards to the ingredients in Terry's Key Lime Pie Juice, I'm sure the lemon juice is minimal, probably to balance out the tart lime a bit. If you're mixing concentrated key lime juice with fresh Persian limes, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a small amount of fresh lemon as well.

mikehooker: I'm very interested to hear about your further experiments with key lime juice. I've tried juicing them myself, but the result is nowhere near as palatable as the bottled juice. It's curious that limes are not front and center on the bars in Cuba. We'll have to rely on your palate to tell us what's going on there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some blend of lime juices going on behind the scenes. As for the historical timeline, you're correct in assuming that by the post-Prohibition Tiki era, Persian limes were the predominant variety. However, I still wonder if the unique geographical location of Florida (and Cuba) allowed key lime juice to remain a viable option (and possibly a favorite of bartenders).

jokeiii: Mahalo for reminding me about the great juices down in Miami. The Palace of the Juices has always been on my radar, but now I really need to check it out. I'm sure the rest of the country is jealous of our bounty. Also, I was not aware of Costco's relationship with Lambeth Groves. I assume that's a regional perk as well.

Okole maluna!

J

On 2017-05-27 00:43, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I'm very interested to hear about your further experiments with key lime juice. I've tried juicing them myself, but the result is nowhere near as palatable as the bottled juice. It's curious that limes are not front and center on the bars in Cuba. We'll have to rely on your palate to tell us what's going on there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some blend of lime juices going on behind the scenes. As for the historical timeline, you're correct in assuming that by the post-Prohibition Tiki era, Persian limes were the predominant variety. However, I still wonder if the unique geographical location of Florida (and Cuba) allowed key lime juice to remain a viable option (and possibly a favorite of bartenders).

HH, some quick thoughts on the lime thing. Last time I was down in the Keys, one of the bartenders explained how they let key lime juice sit for 2-3 hours to "soften" and also how they only use RIPE fruit which will be a pale yellow with minimal, if any, traces of green. All the ones I see in the chain supermarkets are quite green, and that may be the difference.

Based on recent tastings, a new and revised tribute to the Demerara Float now features Hamilton 86 and Appleton Estate Reserve ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/#tribute

I'm honored to be doing a special presentation during the finale of The Hukilau on June 11. We'll also be enjoying three "lost cocktails" from The Mai-Kai's 1956 menu, plus live surf tunes from Skinny Jimmy Stingray.

Full preview on The Atomic Grog: http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/03/event-preview-explore-60-years-of-tiki-cocktail-history-through-the-menus-of-the-mai-kai/

Long-promised and finally delivered: Two new tribute recipes for the 151 Swizzle ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/#tribute

These two versions represent the latest evolution of a seemingly simple cocktail that has been very difficult to nail down. Both are absolutely delicious, but for some reason the 151 Swizzle is not always consistent and you may encounter a sweeter or a stronger version when you come to The Mai-Kai. These two tributes represent these variations.

Okole maluna!

The featured "Flashback Friday" cocktail for June is the classic Liquid Gold. It's available only on Fridays through the end of the month.

Liquid Gold was last served in June 2016 during a special “lost cocktails” party at The Hukilau.

We hope to stop by later in the month to check out the latest return of The Mai-Kai's take on Beachcomber's Gold.

Check out our updated review and history ... http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/06/02/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-search-for-authentic-recipe-strikes-liquid-gold/

Here's the link to follow for the daily schedule, news and updates, plus live coverage from The Hukilau ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/07/the-hukilau-2017-schedule-live-updates-news-and-photos/

Wow, has it really been 27 days since my last post? The craziness started with The Hukilau and hasn't stopped. First off, mahalo to everyone who attended "The Menus of The Mai-Kai" symposium on June 11. It was both a blast and an honor to be up on stage at The Mai-Kai to share my passion for the history and stories of all those legendary cocktails. I just can't believe I missed one of the "Name That Cocktail" blind tastings!

Here are a few photos from the entire Hukilau 2017 weekend ...

Thursday at Pier 66:

I ran into the jetsetting Rum Ambassador, London's Ian Burrell, at the Tiki Tower Takeover. Also coming all the way from Europe were two ultimate showmen ...

Daniele Dalla Pola of Nu Lounge Bar in Bologna, Italy ...

... and Scotty Schuder of Dirty Dick in Paris, France.

Friday at Pier 66:

Swanky's symposium with The Mai-Kai legends.

It was great to meet the many outstanding bar teams who came from around the country, including Three Dots and a Dash from Chicago ...

... and Hidden Harbor from Pittsburgh.

Saturday at Pier 66:

Ian Burrell presented an amazing array of premium rums at a special tasting.

In the Tiki Treasures Bazaar, Lucky Munro of Lucky's Cane & Grog brought some tasty falernum from Maggie's Farm in Pittsburgh.

Saturday night at The Mai-Kai:

Stolen Idols from Tampa set the mood in the Tahiti dining room.

A well-timed Kona Coffee Grog in the showroom.

Sunday at The Mai-Kai:

We're off to a great start with lost cocktails at noon.

Paying tribute to the Bum.

The blind tasting. How could I miss the Cobra's Kiss?

Check out The Tiki Times thread for more photos:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48724&forum=1&start=last&125

You can find many more from other photographers, plus video clips of bands including The Surfrajettes performing in The Molokai and The Hula Girls performing in the Tahiti Room, on The Atomic Grog:

The Hukilau 2017 updates: Daily recaps, news, photos and video
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/07/the-hukilau-2017-schedule-live-updates-news-and-photos/

Exploring 60 years of Tiki cocktail history through the menus of The Mai-Kai
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/03/event-preview-explore-60-years-of-tiki-cocktail-history-through-the-menus-of-the-mai-kai/

More photos and recaps to come soon, along with many new tribute recipes and lots more!

Okole maluna!

Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-07-05 10:46 ]

The Flashback Friday cocktail for July is Mariano Licudine's tribute to a Trader Vic classic, which never appeared on any menu ...

I got to try it once before, in February 2015 ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/21/three-classic-lost-cocktails-drop-in-for-a-night-of-flights-at-the-mai-kai/

Mahalo to Spike Marble and The Hula Girls for this cool recap and photos from The Hukilau, with lots of eye candy from The Mai-Kai ...

http://thehulagirls.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-hukilau-and-tour-of-mai-kais-dining.html

And of great interest here is his rare video of manager Kern Mattei giving a tour of the back service bar. It was the Sunday afternoon following the busy Saturday night, so the bar was not in service. But it offers a rare glimpse behind the scenes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKOI5dF1ygk

Among the new tidbits of info that I've never heard before:

• There are up to 12 bartenders working on busy nights: 4 in The Molokai and 8 in the back bar.

• The logistics of the back bar would be up to 3 bartenders on each window (where the servers pick up the drinks and garnish them), plus up to two others in the back area (most likely prepping and backing up the main bartenders).

• There are two distinct types of bartenders working two different stations: A "blender bartender" who makes the blended drinks (Derby Daiquiri, Pina Colada, etc.) using the jug/jar blender, plus all the standard drinks that people are bound to order. Then there's the "tropical mixer" who makes all the specialty drinks using the top-down mixer. Kern also mentioned that those drinks spend no more than 5 seconds in the mixer.

You can take a look back at my photo tour from 2011 for more on the back bars:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/28/behind-the-magic-a-backstage-tour-of-the-mai-kais-mysterious-bars-and-kitchen/

Okole maluna!

This month's Flashback Friday cocktail: Dr. Fong (with absinthe!)

From The Mai-Kai:

Every Friday Night in the Molokai Bar we feature a vintage cocktail from The Mai-Kai recipe vault and for the month of August you can come in and get the infamous Dr Fong. Created as far back as the 1880s, the Dr Fong cocktail, originally called the Dr Funk, after Dr Bernard Funk of Germany, was originally served as a medicinal tonic by the Doctor himself during his practice in the South Seas.

The original tonic prescribed by Dr Funk contained absinthe, which was often used medicinally at the time. Decades after Dr Funk passed away, Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber got a hold of the recipe and turned it into the rum cocktail that we know today, replacing the absinthe with Pernod, a similar anise flavored spirit, most likely due to the turn of the century bans on absinthe in many countries including the US. Absinthe has since seen a modern revival and a resulting resurgence in popularity and availability; after it was proven that its psychoactive properties were exaggerated.

For the month of August, we are honoring Dr Funk's mixology prowess and making our Dr Fong with absinthe, just like the good doctor prescribed.

Here's some more history, plus ancestor and tribute recipes on the blog ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/

The tribute recipe is now updated to include absinthe ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/#tribute
An improvement over Pernod ... more balanced, rich and earthy.

Dr. Fong in The Molokai bar on Aug. 11

Mahalo to Punch and Lizzie Munro for spotlighting the classic Black Magic and featuring our original tribute recipe ...

http://punchdrink.com/articles/recreating-mai-kai-tiki-bar-bizarre-black-magic-coffee-cocktail-recipe/

http://punchdrink.com/recipes/tribute-to-the-mai-kais-black-magic/

I'm honored to have a recipe representing The Mai-Kai in Punch's venerable archive.

Spurred by the national exposure, I've updated the Black Magic review and recipe with the long-awaited new tribute ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/

There's a lot to unpack from this latest update. There are lots of new photos and updated background info. But the biggest addition is the new tribute recipe ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/#tribute

Among the changes for version 2.5 ...

• The cocktail has grown from 8 to 12 ounces and features 3 1/2 ounces of rum.
  • It now includes Mariano's Mix #7, the mysterious mix that can be traced back to Don the Beachcomber. (There's also a version without #7)
  • Cinnamon syrup is gone.
  • Colombian coffee replaces Kona.

I go into great detail on all these changes. If you've been to The Mai-Kai in the past year, you'll also know that the rums are not as potent as they used to be. Appleton Reserve is a fine rum, but it lacks the funky flavor of Kohala Bay.

Feel free to experiment and pump up the flavor with your Jamaican rum blend of choice.

Okole maluna!

Exciting stuff. I look forward to trying the new recipes.

This month's Flashback Friday cocktail is an off-menu classic from the old days ... the Singapore Sling.

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the blog and recipes, which I've only recently discovered. I'm planning on testing two of the Black Magic recipes this weekend! Looks like a great party starter with that big whack of coffee.

It's interesting to see a lot of Appleton Reserve in use. Personally I really rate this rum and I think it works better in almost any longer cocktail that the 12 year, even though the 12 seems to be more prevalent in bars. It's a much more attractive price to the home barman, too. Mahalo!

Aloha Hurricane! I have had a lot of fun with your amazing recipes over the years. Big fan of the Mutiny and Black magic recipes!
This friday we will feature your demerara float recipe on our Tiki night in a bar here in Bergen, Norway. You are credited on the menu. Thanks for your fantastic blog and recipes that make it possible for us to get a glimpse of Mai Kais greatness.

We made two Black Magics on Friday, both based on the August '17 recipe. I used a mix of Myers, OFTD, Appleton Reserve and just a quarter oz of Velier 151 Unaged Jamaican for the rum base.

My wife does not like even trace amounts of anise flavour, so we made one with it included in the Mariano's Mix,, and one without. (I also didn't use Pernod, but i watered down Jade 1901 absinthe 1:1 and added a half teaspoon of that to the drink that did have it - I'm guessing this is about right as it's a much stronger taste than Pernod).

The drink with the absinthe was better! The other one was good, but it just lacked something undefinable, like a meal without salt. As an added bonus, we decided that although you missed the anise when it wasn't there, there wasn't really a detectable anise note in the compete drink (as such), and my wife also preferred it! There's such a symphony of strong flavours here, i think that even absinthe, albeit in tiny quantities, becomes part of the the ensemble rather than dominating. The bitter coffee backbone must help with this.

These were delicious - although I need to wait for a party to have a whole one to myself again, the coffee and the overproof in combination get me bouncing off the ceiling. Going to try the Mutiny next!

Sorry I've been distracted in the wake of Hurricane Irma and other issues. But be sure that big things are on the horizon. First off, a few mahalos to friends and fellow enthusiasts Early Landed Larry and 13thfloor for their comments and support. I'm glad you're enjoying The Mai-Kai cocktails.

Also, a belated mahalo to Lucky in Pittsburgh for the big-time tribute amidst the chaos Hurricane Irma ...

In case you aren't following along on the Friends of The Mai-Kai page on Facebook, here's this month's Flashback Friday cocktail ...

Look for me there this Friday the 13th as I'll be sampling one of my favorite lost cocktails!

And be sure to join the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaiKaiFriends/

Aloha Larry, glad you enjoyed the latest Black Magic tribute recipe. I love the "symphony of strong flavors" reference.

Be aware that a new Mutiny tribute recipe will be posted soon, also including #7.

Okole maluna!

HH

On 2017-09-25 14:35, Early Landed Larry wrote:

We made two Black Magics on Friday, both based on the August '17 recipe. I used a mix of Myers, OFTD, Appleton Reserve and just a quarter oz of Velier 151 Unaged Jamaican for the rum base.

My wife does not like even trace amounts of anise flavour, so we made one with it included in the Mariano's Mix,, and one without. (I also didn't use Pernod, but i watered down Jade 1901 absinthe 1:1 and added a half teaspoon of that to the drink that did have it - I'm guessing this is about right as it's a much stronger taste than Pernod).

The drink with the absinthe was better! The other one was good, but it just lacked something undefinable, like a meal without salt. As an added bonus, we decided that although you missed the anise when it wasn't there, there wasn't really a detectable anise note in the compete drink (as such), and my wife also preferred it! There's such a symphony of strong flavours here, i think that even absinthe, albeit in tiny quantities, becomes part of the the ensemble rather than dominating. The bitter coffee backbone must help with this.

These were delicious - although I need to wait for a party to have a whole one to myself again, the coffee and the overproof in combination get me bouncing off the ceiling. Going to try the Mutiny next!

An appropriate Flashback Friday (the 13th) cocktail ... Last Rites:

Review, recipes, more ... http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/29/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-classic-last-rites-returns-from-the-grave/

Catching up on a few bits of news in Hurricane Irma's wake last month ...

The storm wreaked havoc on Florida's citrus industry, which we follow closely due to The Mai-Kai's use of the state's fresh fruit and juices. Here are a few stories that cover the highlights:

Irma may speed the end of orange juice (The Washington Post)
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/irma-may-speed-the-end-orange-juice/W1QeemIvGz71nBFKp6DdIN/

Why Your Orange Juice Might Be From Brazil: Florida’s Trees Are Dying (The Wall Street Journal)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/floridas-orange-industry-symbol-of-a-state-is-dying-1506437044

Citrus groves regroup after getting ‘kicked in the teeth’ by Irma (The Palm Beach Post)
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business/citrus-groves-regroup-after-getting-kicked-the-teeth-irma/r2bnA6mYaHy132lLYzscLJ/

The third story does offer a glimmer of hope:
"We’re down but this industry is not out. We’re not going away," one industry exec adamantly insisted. "We’re doing all we can to make sure this is a sustainable industry going forward. And it will be."

Click back to page 13 of this thread for lots more on the juices of The Mai-Kai:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180

Meanwhile, damage at The Mai-Kai was minimal and limited mostly to the trees and grounds. However, sadly, we lost the iconic moai Tiki carved by Barney West that stood on the southeast corner of the property facing Federal Highway for more than 50 years. In better days:

Plans are in the works to replace the giant carving with a similar moai, but in the meantime we can remember "Big Barney" with The Mai-Kai Moai, a cocktail I created back in 2015 to fill the special mug created by Tiki Diablo for the wedding of Mike and Chelsea at The Mai-Kai ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/16/miami-rum-festival-boldly-explores-the-next-frontier-of-cane-spirits/#Mai-Kai-Moai

A few cocktail highlights from the 9th annual Hulaween, held on Oct. 27. See more on this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=52366&forum=4

Manager Kern Mattei welcomes The Tiki Riddler, who wisely chooses to drink a Wahine Delight to match his suit.

Last Rites, a "lost cocktail" from the 1956 menu, is special treat during Hulaween. Look for an updated tribute recipe coming soon!

Best cocktail-related costume of the night: A Shrunken Skull enjoys a Shrunken Skull.

The special event cocktail: The Appleton Monster Barrel (featuring Appleton rum).

More photos in The Atomic Grog's gallery on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/atomicgrog/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1584659698267196

It was an honor to welcome the esteemed Daniele Dalla Pola last week ...

Also, be aware that Rum Barrel mugs are back in stock, both in the bar and online: https://www.facebook.com/MaiKaiTradingPost/app/?sk=app_189977524185

The Mai-Kai's use of Key lime juice makes the national cocktail press ...

https://punchdrink.com/articles/how-to-use-key-lime-cocktail-recipe/

Fort Lauderdale’s Mai Kai, one of the country’s oldest and most iconic tiki bars, has relied exclusively on Key lime juice in their cocktails since opening in 1956.

"The original owners… wanted to take it up a notch, create something that was totally different," explains Kern Mattei, the current general manager. "Key lime has a higher acidity and a stronger flavor, which actually changes the flavor of the drinks." A central component to the Mai Kai’s original menu items, many of which are kept secret and copyrighted, Key lime juice also features in the bar’s house versions of classic formulas like the Daiquiri. But using Key lime juice, as opposed to that of Persian lime, means tweaking traditional ratios. "The acidity [of Key lime juice] reacts more with the syrups, so you have to actually use less Key lime because it’s stronger," explains Mattei

Click here to review our deep dive into The Mai-Kai's juices, including Key lime juice ...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180

61st Anniversary Customer "Mahalo" Appreciation Party on Thursday, Dec. 28

The historic Polyneisan restaurant marks another birthday with a special event in The Molokai bar. There will be an extended happy hour from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., featuring 50 percent off most drinks and all appetizers.

In addition to the regular drink menu, there will be three "lost cocktails" from The Mai-Kai's early drink menus plus two "lost appetizers" ... Maki Maki and Tahitian Cheese Bread!

The event is free and seats are first-come, first-served. Get there early to celebrate another milestone year for The Mai-Kai!

Here's the Facebook event ...
https://www.facebook.com/events/1668334449923402/

Also, every Friday this month you can sample one of the best of the lost cocktails, the Demerara Cocktail ...

Full history, review, recipes:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/01/08/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-demerara-cocktail-is-a-throwback-to-another-era/

Tonight at the 61st anniversary party, we were treated to the Cuban Daiquiri for the first time since it left the menu more than 35 years ago ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/06/02/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-short-lived-daiquiri-disappared-when-cuba-fell/

Plus two other lost classics: The Suffering Bastard (now featuring Lemon Hart 151) ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/06/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-off-menu-suffering-bastard-was-just-a-mai-tai-with-a-kick/

And December's Flashback Friday drink, the Demerara Cocktail ...

Okole maluna!

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-12-28 22:23 ]

A

It's not a Cuban Daiquiri if it's not made with Cuban rum. Hrmph!

On 2017-12-29 14:01, arriano wrote:
It's not a Cuban Daiquiri if it's not made with Cuban rum. Hrmph!

Some day soon, we hope!

Daniele Dalla Pola hosted a special "Tiki Xmas Tribute to the Mai Kai Party" last month at Nu Lounge Bar in Italy. Mahalo to Helena Tiare Olsen for this great write-up and photos on her blog, A Mountain of Crushed Ice ... http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=25447

In case anyone is curious about Maki Maki, the "lost appetizer" served at the anniversary party on Dec. 28, here's my review ...

Like the Trader Vic's original, this version known as Maki Maki consists of water chestnuts and pieces of chicken liver wrapped in bacon. I'd prefer the bacon a little crispier, but that's just my preference. It was served with the usual three sauces that come with most of The Mai-Kai's appetizers: A sweet duck, a spicy mustard and a savory barbecue. The latter seemed to compliment the Maki Maki the best. The liver was a little dry, but the overall dish was a nice accompaniment to the evening's tropical cocktails.

A few quick updates ...

There's no Flashback Friday cocktail this month, but I'm told the monthly special will probably return in February.

In just one week, you can experience this very special event ...

https://www.facebook.com/events/978704468944866/

I've heard that they'll be featuring some of the original Smuggler's Cove cocktails.

Need another reason to attend The Hukilau this year? I'm thrilled to be able to share my tips and tricks in an action-packed 90-minute class in the Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy ...

"How to Mix Like The Mai-Kai" with Hurricane Hayward
Friday, June 8, at 1 p.m. at Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina
Tips and techniques for turning your home bar into a Tiki cocktail paradise.

The cocktail recipes at Fort Lauderdale's legendary Mai-Kai are closely guarded secrets. But for the past seven years, South Florida journalist Jim "Hurricane" Hayward has reverse engineered more than 50 tropical drinks from menus past and present, publishing in-depth reviews and "tribute recipes" on his blog, The Atomic Grog. Hayward will share his experiences in re-creating these classic cocktails, presenting a crash course in making your home bar the next best thing to The Mai-Kai. Mystery Girl and Samoan fire dancers not included.

The Hukilau website:
https://thehukilau.com/cocktail-workshops/mix-like-mai-kai/

Click here to buy tickets:
https://thehukilau.com/ticket-store/

We're still nailing down the details, but as a bonus all students who complete the class will be invited to The Mai-Kai on Sunday afternoon for exclusive bonus activities to be announced.

Congratulations, Jim. This session sounds fantastic - wish I could see it in person.

Knock 'em dead! Well, maybe knock 'em a couple cocktails just short of dead. :)

kevin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies