Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

I really wish I could attend this... Hope it goes great, Hurricane!

I was seriously considering making the pilgrimage to Hukilau this year but I'm a bit confused and alarmed about pricing. The $400 South Seas pass says it includes "passholder pricing" for symposiums. So after the $425 (including fees), we still have to pay for a bunch of symposiums (and more service fees)?!

Last year we went to Oasis and it was $450 for the top tier pass that included EVERYTHING. I thought that was a hefty chunk of change but justified the expense since I didn't have to worry about buying anything else or the potential of not getting into any event I wanted to attend. I had a great time and was glad for the experience but it's difficult to justify returning once you factor in airfare, transportation, lodging, food, shopping and other odds 'n ends for two people. We quite literally could have taken an international trip for the what we spent on a domestic tiki weekender when all was said and done.

I'm surprised Hukilau doesn't have an all inclusive pass to simplify things. There are several symposiums that I would want to attend, but I can't fathom how pricey it will get after paying for them individually on top of the full pass. It's been several years since we've attended but I don't recall these events costing an arm and leg. Is this much pricier than years past, or is my recollection fuzzy? I mean I know the tiki revival is bigger than ever but how sustainable is it if people are getting priced out of going to the numerous fun events offered each year.

On 2018-01-27 13:51, mikehooker wrote:
We quite literally could have taken an international trip for the what we spent on a domestic tiki weekender when all was said and done.

EXACTLY why the missus and I never go to any of these.

Announcements go out, we get super excited about the idea, we put together our itinerary, then realise the cost for a weekend in Fort Lauderdale is more than a week in London or Maui.

On 2018-01-27 15:33, HopeChest wrote:

We quite literally could have taken an international trip for the what we spent on a domestic tiki weekender when all was said and done.

EXACTLY why the missus and I never go to any of these.

Announcements go out, we get super excited about the idea, we put together our itinerary, then realise the cost for a weekend in Fort Lauderdale is more than a week in London or Maui.

Recalling as Navin R. Johnson had the epiphany :D :

This went down tonight, thanks to the Fraternal Order of Moai - Gumbo Limbo Chapter ...

Mike (and anyone else questioning the value of The Hukilau): I totally understand your financial concerns and I'll pass your comments along to the "powers that be." They will definitely take it into consideration. I can't compare The Hukilau to Tiki Oasis, but I think the value is there if you add everything up. I also realize that airfare, lodging and meals have to be taken into account, but I can address what you get at The Hukilau itself.

I don't have the data at my fingertips, but I've been told that prices have not increased that much over last year. And if you get your passes now, symposiums are much cheaper ($15 for Brother Cleve, Ian Burrell, et al.). In the past, symposiums have often been in the $25-$50 range. The South Seas pass does include the Wednesday night pre-party at The Mai-Kai, which always sells out. Plus early admission to the Tiki Tower Takeover, which is worth well over $100, IMHO. It's unlimited drinks from six of the best bartenders in the world in a one-of-a-kind atmosphere. The luXotica Party will also feature all you can drink in addition to two great bands.

All passes include free access to the pool parties (and more free cocktails) both Friday and Saturday, again featuring some of the best Tiki drinks in the world. When it was introduced three years ago, I believe the pool party was an extra charge, and just one day for limited hours. The Tiki Treasures Bazaar will also feature many complimentary drinks and rums. Not that it's all about the booze, but if you were to pay for all those drinks ala carte, the costs would be huge (especially in places like London and Maui). At The Hukilau, however, the cocktails are at a much higher level. We're light years ahead of even three or four years ago. Where else can you enjoy cocktails from The Mai-Kai one night; then Brother Cleve and Trailer Happiness and Three Dots and A Dash and Pagan Idol and Dirty Dick and Nu Lounge Bar the next night, just for starters. Then all of the other participating bars and mixologists all weekend. There's really nothing else to compare it to.

The South Seas passes also include a pendant by Crazy Al and other items TBA. Again, you'll have to decide if it makes sense for you, but if you're looking for a total Tiki cocktail experience, I don't think you can find everything The Hukilau has to offer anywhere else. That's not even including the icing on the cake: The Mai-Kai.

Though they cost more than the symposiums, the Cocktail Academy classes are a unique experience. They also include lots of free goodies, and they're very intimate and intensive. I guarantee my class will be worth the cost.

And if you're still on the fence, remember that Rum Renaissance Festival is a mile away, beckoning with its hundreds of rums. You may need a liver transplant after this weekend, but I guarantee you'll be able to get your money's worth if you try.

There's also the option of joining our team as a volunteer. There are many positions available, and you can work with the volunteer coordinator to find time slots that work for you. I know the bar team is always looking for more hands on deck. Volunteers receive perks that can help offset some of the costs of admission.

Since this is a thread about the cocktail guide, I'd rather not use it to discuss The Hukilau's pricing, but feel free to send me a PM if you (or anyone) would like to discuss further.

Okole maluna!

I was seriously considering making the pilgrimage to Hukilau this year but I'm a bit confused and alarmed about pricing. The $400 South Seas pass says it includes "passholder pricing" for symposiums. So after the $425 (including fees), we still have to pay for a bunch of symposiums (and more service fees)?!

Last year we went to Oasis and it was $450 for the top tier pass that included EVERYTHING. I thought that was a hefty chunk of change but justified the expense since I didn't have to worry about buying anything else or the potential of not getting into any event I wanted to attend. I had a great time and was glad for the experience but it's difficult to justify returning once you factor in airfare, transportation, lodging, food, shopping and other odds 'n ends for two people. We quite literally could have taken an international trip for the what we spent on a domestic tiki weekender when all was said and done.

I'm surprised Hukilau doesn't have an all inclusive pass to simplify things. There are several symposiums that I would want to attend, but I can't fathom how pricey it will get after paying for them individually on top of the full pass. It's been several years since we've attended but I don't recall these events costing an arm and leg. Is this much pricier than years past, or is my recollection fuzzy? I mean I know the tiki revival is bigger than ever but how sustainable is it if people are getting priced out of going to the numerous fun events offered each year.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-01-27 23:56 ]

Mahalo Kevin!

We hope to push the envelope, but keep everyone above ground.

HH

On 2018-01-26 19:14, heylownine wrote:
Congratulations, Jim. This session sounds fantastic - wish I could see it in person.

Knock 'em dead! Well, maybe knock 'em a couple cocktails just short of dead. :)

kevin

Thanks for such a thoughtful, fulsome response, mate - totally appreciate it.

10 years later, my all-time favorite Tiki cocktail book is bigger and better! Find out where it all started ...

Mahalo Beachbum Berry and Cocktail Kingdom!

Chapter 8 is a the definitive story of Mariano Licudine and his journey from Don the Beachcomber in Hollywood in the 1930s to Chicago in the 1940s to creating The Mai-Kai's original cocktal menu in the 1950s with Bob and Jack Thornton.

This new edition contains three newly revealed recipes from Mariano's notebooks and personal papers!

Buy it now! https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/signature/beachbum-berry

Tickets to my Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy course at The Hukilau 2018 are almost sold out, so sign up now if you're interested. We've got some really cool stuff planned!
https://thehukilau.com/cocktail-workshops/mix-like-mai-kai/

https://thehukilau.com/attend/2018-buy-passes-special-tickets/

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-03-12 22:13 ]

H

Finally got to make Black Magic after all this time. Hands down one of the best rum drinks I have ever made. I used the updated version 2.5. I used Coruba, Smith & Cross and El Dorado 12. I subbed tangerine juice for orange, I have a tangerine tree full of fruit. I have been making this cocktail several times since last week, its just delicious.

Mahalo hiltiki! Looks great. You can't go wrong with any version the Black Magic.

More mahalos to fellow blogger and Tiki cocktail nerd Joe Garcia, who created his own tribute to The Hukilau tribute ...
http://thejokeblog.blogspot.com/2017/09/trying-something-out-here.html

It got some notice over on Doug Winship's The Pegu Blog during the 10th annual Tiki Month:
http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2018/02/27/sideblog-tiki-month-shenanigans-joe-garcia/

Doug also delveed into such esoteric Tiki topics as "So What’s Up With Fassionola?" ...
http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2018/02/27/so-whats-up-with-fassionola/

Okole maluna!

A previously undiscovered Don the Beachcomber cocktail from Beachbum Berry's new Sippin' Safari, culled from Mariano Licudine's notebook dated 1944 when he was working at Donn's Chicago location ...

The Martinique Swizzle never made it onto the menu at The Mai-Kai, but it's a classic nonetheless.

More on Sippin' Safari here:
http://beachbumberry.com/publication-sippin-safari.html

On 2016-03-16 21:55, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
First up, I'm posting some of the more simple recipes that were easy to adjust. The 1/8 ounce of cinnamon syrup that I had slipped into the Shark Bite was easy to replace with extra simple syrup. This one was my own doing. I had never seen a Shark's Tooth recipe with cinnamon. It just was such a great drink, and the tiny bit of extra spice worked so well in the tribute that I just went with it, to a small amount of fanfare.

Here's the updated recipe with more notes on the cinnamon saga:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-makes-the-shark-bite-so-jawesome/#tribute

Interesting stuff. We've studied your two tribute recipes on this one, and want to get your input on how we can possibly reverse engineer the Mai-Kai's version.

The Shark Bite has always been one of our favorite Mai-Kai cocktails, up there with the Jet Pilot. We love Appleton Rum, too, so it's an easy cocktail to love. And then we get home and try to recreate it, and have never really hit it spot on. The old Shark's Tooth recipes all had pineapple juice, so we've never experimented with taking it out for something else. Jeff Berry told us that he thought the Mai-Kai's Shark Bite was a kind of cross between the recipe in the Grog Log and the Shark Bite as given in Sippin' Safari. But that second reference never gave us anything much to work on -- the maraschino cherry juice, as given in the Grog Log, does seem like it could be essential to the recipe. The [u=http://maikai.com/experience/extras/recipes]Mai-Kai recipe page[/u] has mentioned the Shark Bite for years, but doesn't give the recipe. Was this a Licudine creation?

Aloha Mike and Marie! You have good taste. The Shark Bite has always been one of my favorites as well.

The tribute recipe is pretty close to what they serve at The Mai-Kai, IMHO. Instead of Barbados rum, it's possible they use a Spanish-style gold. You could also try adjusting the proportions of the lime, pineapple juice and sugar syrup. You'd be surprised at how big a difference a tweak as little as 1/4 ounce will make in a small drink like this. The Mai-Kai uses a very tart key lime juice and a rich house-made sugar syrup. Both are difficult to duplicate at home. Back up to this page on the thread for more on the lime juice blend I recommend:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180

FYI: A majority of The Mai-Kai recipes are revamped versions of Don the Beachcomber classics, adjusted by Mariano Licudine (with help from owner Bob Thornton). They tweaked the ingredients, some drinks more dramatically than others. Here's a PDF that shows the ancestry of all the drinks:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mai-Kai-cocktails-ancestry.pdf
You can find our full recipe list here for your perusal:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/

Okole maluna!

I'm humbled and honored to have the first Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy class to sell out at The Hukilau 2018 in June. It will definitely be an event to remember. To those who missed out, I promise more in the future, along with extensive updates here and on the blog.

Mahalo! Don't forget all the other great classes and events still on sale at https://thehukilau.com/cocktail-workshops/

New snifter glasses for the Black Magic, Mutiny and The Hukilau made their debut tonight. Much more sturdy and heavy, same delicious cocktails ...

Just stumbled across fresh-squeezed white grapefruit juice today at The Fresh Market. I've never seen this before, though I admit this is not a store I frequent regularly. Zero preservatives, 100% juice, very similar to what you'll taste at The Mai-Kai. I put it to the test in the Rum Barrel, and it passed with flying colors.

Added to the earlier post with our complete guide to The Mai-Kai's juices:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-05-18 21:24 ]

Game changer. Too bad no stores in Texas. I squeezed and freezed an insane amount of white grapefruit juice this past December. The other day thawed a few cubes and made some Navy Grogs. Something was “off.” The drinks didn’t have their typically perfect balance and the juice on its own had definitely lost its brightness and tasted flat and dull. I don’t recall in previous years such a degree of degradation but perhaps I always used it up by this time of year.

On 2018-05-13 00:38, mikehooker wrote:
Game changer. Too bad no stores in Texas. I squeezed and freezed an insane amount of white grapefruit juice this past December. The other day thawed a few cubes and made some Navy Grogs. Something was “off.” The drinks didn’t have their typically perfect balance and the juice on its own had definitely lost its brightness and tasted flat and dull. I don’t recall in previous years such a degree of degradation but perhaps I always used it up by this time of year.

It's unclear where the juice comes from. But it's so fresh, it's gotta be Florida.

I continue to check every "fresh market" since new ones continue to pop up across Florida. I'd keep an eye out in your area too. The newest for us Lucky's Market. We have one nearby that squeezes fresh OJ every day, but no grapefruit.

J

Jim,

Are there any "Palacio de los Jugos" by you in Broward? If not, it may be worth the hike down.

On 2018-05-13 10:13, jokeiii wrote:
Jim,

Are there any "Palacio de los Jugos" by you in Broward? If not, it may be worth the hike down.

I don't think so. Just in Miami, as far as I know. Now that I've found white grapefruit, I think I'm set.

One more note on that: I notice that the label shows a red grapefruit. I'm assuming that the juice is seasonal (same as The Mai-Kai's supplier), so white just happens to be in season right now. It could switch to red at any point.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-05-13 17:41 ]

Exclusive: The new cocktail menu made its debut last night in The Molokai ...

The front and back covers are now blue (instead of yellow). The centerspread featuring the classic tropical drinks remains the same color, and the entire menu has a matte finish (instead of the old laminated, shiny menu).

The rum and wine lists are updated. And there's one major addition on the list of 47 tropical classics: An old-school standard based on a secret Mariano Licudine recipe that was never on the standard menu before ...

The Suffering Bastard has been featured on several "lost cocktail" menus, most recently during the 61st anniversary party in December. It replaces the Tiki Swizzle, a more recent creation that was added during the last menu update in 2014 ...

I'll be updating the Suffering Bastard tribute recipe to reflect some recent changes, so stay tuned.

There's one other menu change if you look hard enough. The Mai-Kai Cappuccino has returned from the dessert menu, replacing the Wahine Delight. Both remain on the dining room dessert menu ...

Also, note that all of the cocktails that feature signature mugs (Mara Amu, Shrunken Skull, Kona Coffee Grog, Tahitian Coffee, Hot Buttered Rum and Mystery Drink) can be purchased with or without the mug. You can still buy the mugs separately in The Mai-Kai Trading Post, both in person and online:
https://www.maikaitradingpost.com/collections/all/mai-kai-signature-mugs

Okole maluna!

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-05-18 20:43 ]

The Rums of The Mai-Kai page finally got the TLC is deserved, will a comprehensive update featuring lots of history, photos and exclusive info ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

On Facebook, Beachbum Berry opined: "Jim Hayward untangles the Gordian knot of classic Tiki rum substitutions."

The guide to Demerara rums is updated to include a full history of Lemon Hart and its use at The Mai-Kai, plus the story of the 21st century renaissance of 151 rums.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#demerara-drinks

Next, the Jamaican rum section is updated to include more background on the style and its history at The Mai-Kai.

Then, I spill the beans that The Mai-Kai has actually replaced Kohala Bay with Appleton Estate Signature Blend after briefly using Reserve Blend. As it turns out, the difference in flavor is negligible in most drinks.

Then, more history including an update showing that Appleton Punch preceded Dagger Punch up until the 1970s. Finally, a few new discoveries, including one Jamaican rum that could easily pass as Kohala Bay’s long-lost brother.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

It may be time to book that next trip to Jamaica.

Okole maluna!

Mahalo to Lemon Hart and everyone who attended The Hukilau! Let's do it again next year!

Along with the updated cocktail menu, The Molokai now has a brand new appetizer menu with greatly expanded options (sushi, salads, desserts, etc.). And the retro design is awesome ...

Here's the online version:
http://maikai.com/menus/menus/appetizers

The new Rum Barrel mug from Tiki Diablo is in pre-order, shipping on Aug. 1. Don't miss out!

https://tikidiablo.bigcartel.com/product/mai-kai-barrel-2018-pre-order-ships-august-1st

And don't forget to check out The Mai-Kai Trading Post for all the official merch ...
https://www.maikaitradingpost.com/

At The Hukilau finale on Sunday, June 10, we were given the rare opportunity to order the Big Bamboo ...

To the best of my knowledge, this off-menu classic from he 1950s has never been served to a large group. It was available only for those who took my Mai-Kai cocktail class and received their own personal Okole Maluna Society card. Mahalo to everyone who attended!

Swanky also treated the class to an exclusive tour of The Mai-Kai ...

Then, we were honored to have Plantation Rum mastermind Alexandre Gabriel dazzle us with an informative history of Plantation and his love affair with rum ...

Of course, Alexandre had to get a tour of the historic back bar, where he discovered several Barbados rums that caught his fancy ...

Tastings quickly ensued ...

Then it was back to The Molokai for a round of Special Planters Punches with Jason Alexander (of Tacoma Cabana and Devil's Reef fame) ...

This is why I tell people to never skip the Sunday festivities at The Hukilau!

Okole maluna!

A few highlights from "How to Mix Like The Mai-Kai," my sold-out Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy class at The Hukilau 2018 on Friday, June 8 ...

Students received Mai-Kai giveaways including napkins and swizzle sticks along with their class resource guide ...

Plus ingredients to make their own Mai-Kai cocktails ...

My assistants worked hard to get three sample cocktails distributed to the thirsty students ...

Special mahalo to Lucky Munro for a yeoman's job mixing up all of the batches ...

The 40 class members were treated to The Atomic Grog tribute to the S.O.S. ...

A bottle of Kohala Bay was auctioned ...

And a few secrets were revealed ...

Mahalo to all the students ... you rule!

At the end of the class, they got a chance to make their own drinks. Each table presented one to be judged, and the winning table received many prizes, including the recently retired Mai-Kai cocktail menus ...

A bottle of fassionola ...

And the 10th anniversary edition of Sippin' Safari ...

As we adjourned, a round of applause for the announcement of our extra-curricular activities on Sunday at The Mai-Kai including a free tour and exclusive cocktail (see previous post) ...

It was an awesome experience I hope to repeat again soon. Okole maluna!

Check out more photos from the class on Facebook and Flickr:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/atomicgrog/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1851915004874996

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28078283@N05/albums/72157669007690057

Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-07-11 10:25 ]

What a treat for those in attendance. So sad I couldn't be there.

Looks like a great time! We’ll definitely have to talk about this next week, Jim.

Mahalo davidphantomatic for immersing himself in The Mai-Kai for four days last week! It was a pleasure to help with the recording of several episodes of the Texas Tiki Podcast!

Carver Will Anders gave us a walk-through of the gardens and in-depth look at many of the tikis he created ...

And manager Kern Mattei also provided some exclusive insights ...

Can't wait to check out the episodes!

In honor of Shark Week, The Mai-Kai is offering half-priced Shark Bites all night tonight ...

I've updated the review and history of this classic ...

Check it out, along with the tribute recipe at https://wp.me/p1xHjT-k6

Owner Dave Levy welcomes David Morrison, senior blender of Appleton Estate, for an exclusive rum tasting on Wednesday ...

I met up with manager Kern Mattei before the tasting ...

Four Appleton rums were sampled: Signautre Blend, Reserve Blend, Rare Blend and 21-Year ...

A Shark Bite (featuring Appleton Estate Rare Blend) is the perfect cocktail paring ...

Episode 16 of Marooned: A Texas Tiki Podcast is now available for download or streaming:
https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/maroonedpodcast/episodes/2018-08-10T00_00_00-07_00

Listen as David and I discuss (what else) Mai-Kai cocktails, Kohala Bay rum, secret syrups, The Hukilau, the genesis of The Atomic Grog, O.F.T.D. rum, Zombies and Mai Tais, plus many more topics!

If you enjoy the show, please subscribe via iTunes or your Android device.

Lots of updates to report. I'm trying to keep up and stay active on Tiki Central (as promised in my interview with David on the Marooned podcast teased above), but I'm also trying to expand to other platforms and reach as many folks as possible.

Which means The Atomic Grog is no longer in the social media dark ages. We now have an Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/theatomicgrog/
I'll be posting the best images there, as well as occasional live photos from events. I tested this out at the Appleton event, where I posted photos during the tasting to Facebook and Instagram, along with a new Twitter page:
https://twitter.com/theatomicgrog
If you're so inclined, please follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

If you're looking for me on Facebook, the best place is the Atomic Grog page:
https://www.facebook.com/atomicgrog/
Please like the page, and also choose to see our posts first in your news feed. On the top of the page, it's an option under the "Following" tab. I choose this option for The Mai-Kai page (https://www.facebook.com/maikairestaurant/) and others that I don't want Facebook to randomly exclude from my news feed.
You're also welcome to join the Friends of The Mai-Kai group, where I'm an admin:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaiKaiFriends/

Of more immediate interest to those following this thread, I've got quite a few updates in the works for the cocktail guide, including a bunch of new recipes, photos and some ratings changes. I didn't mention it above, but all three cocktails featured in the class at The Hukilau were given a refresh:
S.O.S. ... http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/01/29/mai-kai-cocktail-review-patriotism-never-tasted-this-good/
Bora Bora ... http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/31/mai-kai-cocktail-review-bora-bora-is-not-for-the-timid/
K.O. Cooler ... http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/07/19/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-could-be-cooler-than-a-mai-tai-history-lesson/

Also updated: The Big Bamboo, which was featured exclusively for class members on the final day of The Hukilau: http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/06/02/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-big-bamboo-features-big-flavors-unique-history/

All of the above feature new photos and refreshed content. Next up, I'm posting long-awaited new tribute recipes for all the remaining cocktails that feature the resurrected secret mixes (#7 and #4). First up, the Mutiny ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/13/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-mutiny-is-a-worthy-foe-in-the-battle-of-the-tropical-titans/

Besides the new recipes (versions both with and without #7), there are new photos and an expanded history. I posit the theory that the Mutiny was created either for or shortly after the Molokai renovation in 1971 that brought in all the "Mutiny on the Bounty" decor. I lack menus to prove it, but it's not on the 1969 menu and was definitely on there by the mid-'70s.

Coming next, a major new recipe update for The Huiilau ...

Last but not least, I'm feeding the updated tribute recipes to Swanky for inclusion on the Grogalizer. If you're not a member, now's a good time to get up to speed and rate all the drinks. Not only those discussed here, but nearly the entire Beachbum Berry collection, plus many of the Smuggler's Cove drinks from Martin and Rebecca Cate's book.

So far, there are nine tribute recipes in the database, with more to come (note that the Zombie and Mai-Kai Swizzle will be getting updated recipes soon). If you're signed on, you can find all the Atomic Grog drinks by clicking on my name at the top of a recipe, or just go here:
https://www.grogalizer.com/drinks.php?creator=Hurricane%20Hayward

It's great to see the Mutiny tribute crack the Top 10, just below Ray Buhen's Puka Punch ...

To be fair, I need lots more people to chime in with their votes since it's so new to the database.

I'm also working on a recap of the "Mix Like The Mai-Kai" class that will feature some of the tips and info from the event.

Okole maluna!

A Shrunken Skull on National Rum Day ...

New recipe update:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-hukilau-is-worthy-of-its-famous-company/

Our review of The Hukilau now includes two new tribute recipes, bringing it up to speed with the Black Magic and Mutiny.

The latest tribute recipe now features Mariano’s Mix #7 as well as the removal of coffee. Also included are lots of mixing notes and tips, including additional info on the juices and rums.

Okole maluna!

If you want to experience a very special event, you'll make plans to be at The Mai-Kai on Oct. 30.

You heard it here first.

(No, it's not Hulaween. That's confirmed for Oct. 26.)

J

On 2018-08-30 21:15, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
If you want to experience a very special event, you'll make plans to be at The Mai-Kai on Oct. 30.

You heard it here first.

OK, have cleared my schedule. If you are allowed to say, will this be a ticketed event?

I don't have all the details yet, but I believe it will be a free, public event (with a rum sponsor).

You heard it here first.

J

On 2018-09-03 21:34, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I don't have all the details yet, but I believe it will be a free, public event (with a rum sponsor).

You heard it here first.

Deeply pleasing. Thx.

Here's another hint (actually, it pretty much spills the beans) on the Oct. 30 event ...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chairmans-reserve-launches-its-biennial-global-mai-tai-challenge-300705842.html

Here's the full story on The Atomic Grog ...

Bartenders: Here's your chance to compete at The Mai-Kai for a chance win a trip to St. Lucia for the Chairman's Reserve Mai Tai Challenge. Among the guest judges is Tiki cocktail historian Jeff "Beachbum" Berry! The deadline is Monday, so submit your recipe now, and get complete details on The Atomic Grog ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2018/09/20/chairmans-reserve-mai-tai-challenge-bartenders-to-compete-at-the-mai-kai-for-trip-to-st-lucia/

Join the Fraternal Order of Moai and Lemon Hart & Sons for a flight of Lemon Hart cocktails on Saturday, Sept. 29, at 5 p.m. There will also be several auction prizes. Proceeds will go to the Broward County Humane Society.

UPDATE: All three Lemon Hart rums will be featured in cocktails, one current, one retired and one "lost."
Also: Win Rum Renaissance Festival tickets, plus Tom Fowner artwork!

https://www.facebook.com/events/2183661851891801/

Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-09-23 22:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies