Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Pop, Musee du Quai Branley in Paris, France, June 2014

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

Thanks for all the great photos, Dave!

Here's a web article with more photos of the show:

http://www.lemouv.fr/diffusion-tiki-pop-exotique-en-toc

…and here's what Parisians now see on their way to work in Metro stations all over Paris :) :

These JUST went up, as a "second wave" of promotion of the show.

It was an honour to be there for it, Im working my way through the book now, Good to learn some pre tiki history too. Our next euro trip is to Barcelona on Wednesday for my birthday(So i guess we will have to go the tiki bars in town, just for research right?)

On 2014-07-08 16:22, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2014-06-30 11:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Tiki Pop DVD:
http://www.amazon.fr/TIKI-POP-Collection-DIALOGUES-exposition/dp/B00JQHKDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403809848&sr=8-4&keywords=tiki+pop

It's in PAL format, not sure if an NTSC version is planned.

Any other sources selling this?

Okay, so I was able to confirm that the Amazon France has the dvd listed wrong. I ordered one from them and what I received was NTSC with No Region code. !! I'll go back and edit my original post.

Hakalugi,

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD. I went ahead and ordered it on the French Amazon website. I had to use google a little bit to translate to place the order but I received it in about a week. It plays fine on my DVD player and there are two version on the DVD: French and English. The English is actually better since practically the whole DVD was photographed in California. Its a documentary with a lot of people who would be "who's who" of tiki pop and it show several of the California Tiki Bars. If you are ordering the book and/or you liked the "DVD of Tiki," I think you will enjoy this DVD. I haven't received my book yet but its suppose to get to me next week. I don't know if this DVD follows the book.

A lot of of us regulars at the Tiki marketplace should be in the movie
the French film crew was filming there some months ago.

The DVD has very little to do with the book. I am slightly disappointed by it. But that might be because I have seen 5 or 6 of Tiki documentaries by now and they start to look alike. Of all of them, only Jochen's DVD of Tiki and Plastic Paradise have managed to create a "mood" akin to the appeal of Tiki at times - something beyond mere talking heads spouting THEIR opinion of what Tiki is (ME included!). It's just so easy to run around and interview and film those kookie contemporary Tiki folks, some carvings, throw in some music and some cocktails, and voila, you have a Tiki documentary.

But what about those old guys? Why has nobody interviewed William Westenhaver? Or dug up some other veterans that we don't even know about? These production crews all come to me, I give'em all the contacts, they film them, and done.

What is missing most of all is an adequate portrayal of the heyday of the ORIGINAL Tiki culture - vintage eye candy that visually impresses on the viewer WHY there is a revival now! Something that brings across the grandeur of the old Tiki temples, the horn of plenty of Tiki apartment buildings and their concepts, the baroque outgrowths of the phenomenon in the middle class.

Not that that can be expected from a foreign team that's only coming over for 2 ½ weeks with no prior knowledge of the culture…but when I think of all the original vintage photographs and graphics I scanned for them that they never used :roll:

The typical argument will be "but there is so little vintage MOVING footage that shows Tiki culture" - yet just look at Ken Burns creating a whole documentary series out of still photographs.

Sorry for the rant.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-18 22:53 ]

Exactly! I think that has been my criticism of most of the documentaries on Tiki
I would like to see scenes from the classic movies (Noir etc.) that take place in Tiki bars
staged or real, which I think can give us a feeling of how it was back then.

Those Life magazine photos are a great time capsule too!
if only we knew of someone steeped in the ways of Tiki with a cinematic background to boot
who could do a proper Documentary?

THIS is how they promote Tiki in Paris!:

On the biggest consumer temple...

…on busses...

in the Metro

On 2014-07-18 22:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
But what about those old guys? Why has nobody interviewed William Westenhaver? Or dug up some other veterans that we don't even know about? These production crews all come to me, I give'em all the contacts, they film them, and done.

The typical argument will be "but there is so little vintage MOVING footage that shows Tiki culture" - yet just look at Ken Burns creating a whole documentary series out of still photographs.

Sorry for the rant.

"but there is so little vintage MOVING footage that shows Tiki culture"
One would guess that there was not as big of a interest in tiki as there is now.
But then look what is going on now, the people who are the new makers of tiki don’t get much
Media attention, even with the larger interest.
And if you are outside of California forget about it, only if you are the lucky token that gets picked
will you see the spot light.
Heck the old Tiki mag even went to doing articles on the same people over and over, the people who
were in those articles were mostly from California and friends of…
So are people going to look back and say “Why is there nothing on some other veterans that we don't even know about? “
Talked to one tiki artist about this and he said that is why he moved to California.
Not just the artist but the new tiki bars too.

Not much new moving footage of any of the new tiki scene even really.
Tropical Bistro, Three Dots, Hale Kahiki, is there footage of Tiki Ti?
What about ITV one of the best mug makers out there from I forget 2000?
NOTHING I had to send tiki Kate the ITV catalog as I had the only one she could find, where did he live again?

Back in the heyday of tiki they just did not think of these things.
But now we do know of the shot fall of documenting the tiki that is around us, but I will bet
The same mistake will be made but for a different reason this time.

Sorry for the rerant.
But about a quarter of the folks reading this are saying f$%^ that, BUT three quarters
Quietly sit on their hands and say right on.

Times like these could give rise to some fringe tiki group.:)

On 2014-07-24 11:44, tikiskip wrote:
One would guess that there was not as big of a interest in tiki as there is now.

I think that's true. Back in the mid-1900s tiki blended into the culture. It was just "there" and something that you "visited" for good times instead of actually "being into."

On 2014-07-24 11:44, tikiskip wrote:
Times like these could give rise to some fringe tiki group.:)

There already are "fringe" tiki groups and sub-groups. But they just haven't grown to the point of being overly ridiculous and super-annoying. Sub-groups are growing on their own, organically. And I suspect that at some time down the road a number of us are going to begin calling ourselves "tiki traditionalists" to differentiate ourselves from some of the weirdness which lies ahead.

Well, ok, so I've heard others say that the hipsters have become annoying. :P But that may be because a few of us are jealous that we can't grow really cool retro handle-bar mustaches which really aren't related to tiki anyways. What a crazy world.

"Sorry about that. My awesome tiki karma ran over your hipster dogma."

I am continuously amazed how blase TC members seem to be sometimes: Ignoring photos like these that show Tiki things are happening in the world, instead going on navel-gazing...

I think this is frickin' EXCITING! Something NEVER seen before! Giant American TIKI posters all over a world-famous city! Hello?
click…click….static….

On 2014-07-24 10:32, bigbrotiki wrote:

…on buses...

in the Metro

It's great to see a tiki show promoted like that. Before the show opened I Googled Tiki Pop Paris and I was surprised at how many Paris hotels, visitors bureau and other places referenced your upcoming show as a must see attraction. That just wouldn't happen stateside.
Congratulations!

Having attended the event opening, I can tell you that it was pretty awesome seeing the advertising for Tiki Pop around Paris, from the metro, to street corners to a local library that had a Tiki Pop/Polynesian book display in the front window.

Sven, have you heard about museum attendance for the exhibit yet?

DC

T

Sven I'm a fan for sure and have all of your tiki works even that hard to find
first DVD you did.

And it is exciting to see tiki being promoted on such a large scale.

Congrats again and on your exhibit and book am waiting for book to come now.
If the exhibit were even close I would go for sure.

On 2014-07-24 17:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am continuously amazed how blase TC members seem to be sometimes: Ignoring photos like these that show Tiki things are happening in the world, instead going on navel-gazing...

Bigbro, I was thrilled to see your reports and your photos. But I didn't want to add "just another compliment" to the stack especially since my book seller won't be shipping my book until early next month. What I started to write earlier today in response to your photos was:

Wow, to think that in 20 or 30 years from now those posters and promotional materials seen all over Paris will live on in many tourist photos. Now that's cool.

I think that sometimes what appears as "blasé" is actually TCers trying not to post irrelevant and fluffy posts, or trying to avoid the appearance of artificially inflating their message count. At least that's how I felt when I deleted the draft I had started to write in response to your photos. I figured it wasn't needed or I could wait until later when I actually received my copy of your book.

It's all good. Just thought I'd share a different perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying Paris and the success of the show.

"tiki traditionalists", I would count myself in that category.

I think the show & new book is a well needed kick in the ass of the Tiki revival
well done, Sven!

What are people who like party city tiki decor called?
:o

Jeff(btd)

On 2014-07-24 10:32, bigbrotiki wrote:

…on busses...

in the Metro

I didn't want these great photos to fall to the prior page so fast. So I'm quoting your post just to repeat them! Truly awesome!!

:lol: Thanks guys, I apologize for my rant. Just remember: See the good even in the bad, never give up, and long live Tiki !!! :)

The Prince of Monaco viewing the Tiki Pop exhibition:

"...He is the prince who never grew up – a one-time playboy and son of the Hollywood star Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier of Monaco."

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-29 07:00 ]

Host to Diplomat, Beachcomber, Prince and Pirate!

And here's another video tour of the show, from a French TV channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FoIMJLLSBI#t=10

T

The one you just posted Sven is very NICE!

Bump

OK folks - whoever is in town, go now, only a few days left:

https://www.facebook.com/tiki.pop.paris

Since everybody seems to be busy on Facebook, this is all you're gettin':

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.371599196328360.1073741847.286020288219585&type=1

Q

Congrats on what appears to be a fine showing of the exhibit. I applaud your dedication and persistence in this tremendous undertaking.

Cheers and Aloha!!

Merci! :)

Tiki Pop closed yesterday and counted 103209 visitors, the 6th best result in the museum's history :)

Congratulations on the great showing!

What about a pop up museum for the Tiki Pop exhibit in the US? That would be one way to show the exhibit here if none of the museums show interest.

Congrats Sven! Sure wish I had a chance to be there...

Mahalo for including The Hukilau in the exhibit and your wonderful Tiki Pop!!

T

Just under a thousand people a day! Not bad. Now put it all in a container and ship it to Tacoma. I've got a place for it's next installment. :wink:

aloha, tikicoma

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2014-10-02 22:23 ]

Congrats Sven,
I really wish I could have seen in in person.

Jeff(btd)

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2015 1:57 AM

I was lucky enough to catch it - had a last minute business trip to France in early September. As soon as I was told about the meeting, I looked at the Quai Branly website, learned that the exhibition is still up, and asked to return a day later.
Brilliantly-curated and heart-warming. It was one of my 2014 highlights.

Thanks Sven.

Here are some more images of the one item I am most proud of to have had in my TIKI POP exhibition:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154397655938205.1073742256.614108204&type=1&l=c87e02473c

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2016 4:53 PM

Not impressed.
Jajaja just kidding. Great job as always...
Any mention or piece from Spain?
What if I get you a Museum in D.F. ?

I found this Tiki Pop item, below, on eBay today. Wild speculation - it could be an over-run remainder from something Sven may have had made (it even has his name on it, just like the Tiki Pop book cover) or it's wholly unauthorized and may have been something another tiki fan paid this vendor to produce. Now it's available "out in the wild."

Pages: 1 2 85 replies