Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 180 replies

The original 1953 blueprints for the Bali Hai, when it was still called Christian's Hut. These photos are from the eBay auction of the blueprints a few years ago, which I lost :(

:down: Here's a photo of the young architect with his parents just after the opening.

:down: A tourist booklet from my collection

:down: Barbara Rush and George Nader saying Hai.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-01-22 22:46 ]

A

It's interesting to see how the tower changed from the original design. I think I like the original better. Boyle Engineering still exists, based in Newport Beach and with an office in San Diego.

Sabu,

Thanks for posting those old blueprints. I always enjoy seeing old sets of plans for Tiki places, such as in the BOT. The picture of the beaming young architect is great.

DC

Found some cool old photos from the Bali Hai while looking around for info on the Bali Ha'i in New Orleans.

The Goof At Night

The Goof on the Move

Lyman Swinging at the Bali Hai

Nose to nose with Jimmy Durante.

Mr. Bali Hai and the model - beauty and the beast

DC

A

It's funny to see the photo of Durante from the La Jolla Light as I used to work for that newspaper. You can bet that his "vacationing in La Jolla" meant he was bettin on the ponies in Del Mar.

Thought I had seen just about every post card from the Bali Hai, then this one showed up.

Old School.

DC

Yet another postcard view.

DC

This ad was in a San Diego Tourist Guide.

Wow! Can you zoom into that little photo of the A-frame with the dancers and Tiki? That must have been the side entrance to the gardens and the back porch where their dance troupe performed.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-06-06 05:54 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.