Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies

:lol: :D :lol:

T
TU posted on Fri, May 30, 2014 9:10 AM

Welcome aboard MaukaHale!

MDM and Hang10...you guys crack me up. I saw a movie once about grasshoppers from outer space...

T
TU posted on Fri, May 30, 2014 9:10 AM

Welcome aboard MaukaHale!

MDM and Hang10...you guys crack me up. I saw a movie once about grasshoppers from outer space...

:wink:

Stain and bling

T

Jon, wow, looking great. Can't wait to get this one in the Swap- and all of the other pieces, too!

Temporary update: mug has been glazed, waiting to fire it. Three different colors with some iron oxide on a few details.

Outstanding Ano

Goof eye on the right n pupil on da left

Up next, dental work

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-06-02 10:42 ]

Nice TikiAno, let's see that puppy fired.
Jon - looking great!

T

Mike, waiting on the (not my own) kiln..... might take a week or so..... (at least will try to get some other stuff done in the meantime....)

T
TU posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2014 9:51 AM

Nice Work everyone!!

I will be out of internet range for a few days, but I will check the thread on Monday when I am back. Maybe I will even be able to post another progress pic too.

Have a great weekend!

T

"Some People Call Me a Space Moai," out of the kiln: bright green exterior (alien skin), with mottled gold antennae and amberish interior. Alien "Spock-like" ears replace the Moai's traditional ones.

Might be time to work on another piece before the deadline? Hmmm... have to make a signature drink as Mike did...

Btw, the exterior is quite a bit brighter, phone camera didn't do the glaze justice. Will try to take some better photos and repost.

Sweet..........

Still need to work on teeth
But in the meantime

Is this the real Goof or his alter ego?

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2014 7:16 AM

A nice Space Moai TA, and I believe YOU are the real goof H10. Got a bit of progress by finishing the black line and figuring color. Next I will print on glass and add a purple space sky.

looking good love the jetsons

T

Jon, dang, maybe I need to start on another one....

cy, looks great- especially dig George Jetson's pendant, and their space-age aloha togs!

T
TU posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2014 8:29 AM

TikiAno-I dig it! It would be perfect with a drink that had fog boiling out of the top.

Hang10-love the goofy eyes

Cy-can't wait to see more progress shots, you rock at the Jetsons, man.

Still plenty of time for everyone, including me, to finish!

Big CY-
Awesome bruddah
Brings back good memories of watching cartoons as a kid

Ps- that would make a great T shirt

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-06-11 10:06 ]

Love da CY shirt Mike, but I think Wendy wants it...

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-06-13 21:48 ]

Hey all,

I was pretty certain that I was going to have to back out of the swap since I've ben really busy with my son's surgery and I only have access to a kiln for 10 more days because school is almost over BUT I finally found time today to start creating what has been in my mind since this all started. I'll take and post a picture tomorrow.

Lori- glad u in

Jon she looks SERIOUS!!!!!
Lori! Glad you're in :D

No pics - sorry - but some tragedy. I guess I made my alien a little too skinny cause he got decapitated overnight and his skinny little legs got broken off. He wasn't anywhere near dried so I did some repair work on him and left him with damp towels on him for the weekend. So we'll see his status on Monday.

For those like me, who like to make pictures in their heads, he's a slab clay piece of a large headed alien holding a tiki mug. I'd like him to be a wall hanging so I'm going to put a hole or two in him for some cording to hang. I'm hoping we have a really neon green to glaze him in. I don't have time to order any more glazes so I'll just have to go with what we have in school or get something that can be baked in a home oven after he's been fired.

Fingers crossed! Everyone else is kicking butt!

Sorry about the set-back Lori. This looks like a job for PAPERCLAY!!!

Done
Not sure if I need gloss or not
Hmmmm

T
TU posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2014 7:18 AM

Lori, way to not give up!

H10, nice job and great pics!

Happy Father's Day to ask the dads out there

Very cool Jon! I, personally, am a fan of gloss

Here are some concept drawings for my swap piece.

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2014 8:00 AM

Mauka nice concept, like the meteor/floats! Those came out great Jon. We know that GROG is the spelling police but it looks like Wendy is the copyright mafia. Hanna- Barbera is watching you MadDog.

Thanks Cy.

I was serious. Make a swap or else!

All this looks great. I'm seeing a lot of fine art from artists who should keep doing this all year long. That means you Colorado-MT.

hang10tiki you stole my alien! Good job. I may still use him.

I have a lot to catch up on and then back to work.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-06-20 06:36 ]

Here's what he looked like post firing before I glazed him.

His legs broke - again.

I glazed him up and because of the triple break I didn't even attempt to have the glaze fuse the pieces together as I've done in the past. Today was the last day I could fire so I have my fingers crossed that he's not horrible when the kiln opens tomorrow. If the glazing is good then I'll have to try to crazy glue the legs or come up with some other solution that doesn't involve a kiln since I won't have access again with one until after the swap.

I'll post a pic soon and I'll be looking for advice on repairs.......

T
TU posted on Wed, Jun 25, 2014 6:36 AM

Hey everybody!

Lori-I like the idea of the Flat Stanley guy. You could give him a grass skirt or bermudas to cover the breaks.

Jon-I like the idea, especially the volcano.

Still like 5 weeks left! My painting room is currently being used as storage for some friends who aren't sure how much stuff will fit in a 6 by 8 trailer when moving to Oregon, but I think I am going to overtake the dining room for a couple hours.

Take it easy everyone!

Great ideas, TU! Camouflage clothing!

Good news is the glaze came out pretty good. This is my favorite swap piece by far. I kinda want to keep him! Bad news is that the cell phone pic is blurry. I am stoked how the color on the mug came out. It looks exactly like the mug I have that I was modeling it after.

For those of you looking closely yes, I glazed the wrong side of the small broken foot!

:)
Lori
edited to add the picture

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2014-06-25 13:00 ]

LoriLovesTiki he is so cute. Wendy

I'm getting motivated to start something!!

T
TU posted on Fri, Jun 27, 2014 5:29 PM

Plenty of time to start something everybody!

I like the legs. Alien-tiki-like-an-Egyptian

T
TU posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2014 2:53 PM

Happy July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July. I am heading to Southern California tomorrow, but I will still check the posts.

We only have 29 days left to finish the swap! Time is going by sooooo fast.

Thanks again for everyone who joined in the swap. This has made my summer a lot of fun!!

Cheers.
John

C
cy posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2014 9:46 AM

Looks good Lori, Aloha there is still time to jump in. My idea of painting on glass did not pan out so instead used watercolor paper to finish. Next is finding a frame.

Wow CY that takes me back to my childhood and Dan's too. I still feel sorry for them because their meals were pills. See you soon, Wendy

T
TU posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2014 9:08 PM

Love it Cy!!!

I'm on vacation in Anaheim for a couple days so posting might be sporadic till I'm home.

M

I really wish I knew what I was doing. For the first concept drawing I used water colors and now I'm trying to see if I can use acrylic and put it on canvas. I guess this is why I jumped in to see what I could do! How's everyone else doing? Is everyone done?

T
TU posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2014 7:06 PM

It looks great so far, MaukaHale. What I like about acrylics is I can paint them thick like oils, thin like water colors, or anything in between.

My wife reminded me I still needed to finish my painting, so I worked some today and will finish tomorrow, with pics. There are still 3 weeks left until the deadline, so no worries about rushing to finish.

I think I'll use Monkeyman's album frame idea for this project.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies