Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies

Lookin good everyone.......

T
TU posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2014 12:32 PM

Here is my finished piece!

In case anyone isn't sure, there are 16 days left of the swap.

Hope everyone is having an awesome summer.

I like the "pink flamingos"

T
TU posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2014 2:54 PM

Thanks. Pink Flamingos are kinda my thing. It just wouldn't be without plastic pink flamingos

T

Mauka & Tu, looking good! Who is done and who is still working? Who will jump in at the last second? So many questions, still a bit of time left!

My mug is done but might be adding some quick little add-ons with two weeks to spare....

Also, I forgot how Mike organized this last time, but "in person" Art Swaps at Tiki Oasis worked out well (for a couple of folks) last time- who will be there in August?

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-07-16 13:13 ]

Great stuff guys, sweet

Ano- I'll be at Oasis

Will Oasis people be swapping there again??

Jon

T
TU posted on Wed, Jul 16, 2014 5:24 PM

For sure if you are able to meet up you can swap in person. I wish I could be there, but I have to work...in Colorado. I will go thru the pages on generate a list of everyone who completes.

Thanks again for letting me be your swap leader.

Tu

I didn't do anything different with the name drawing. But there were several exchange partners who were going to Oasis and we designated a time to meet and swap :)

My mug is ready to roll, just need to pick up a few spare light sticks. Then pack it up and be ready to ship :)

only 15 more days.

For fun my alien is the Goof from the top of the Bali Hai in San Diego. We see it every time we go to Tiki Oasis. I've put him on his home planet. He is not the statue he is alive and has both his eyes.

First I printed a photo of the Goof in the size I wanted for my painting.

I added another planet in the sky.

I cut the hat out of the picture and outlined them onto the canvas. I did the same for the face.

Next I found paints that were the right colors or I mixed my own. I started filling in the outlines.

This hat has a lot of colors.

I drew more detail onto the hat.

I filled it in with yellow paint.

Another view without the glare.

I better keep working with only 15 days left. Cheers, Wendy

Love the subject
:)
We must think alike...

Can't wait to see it progress

Looks great Wendy! COMING UP SOON!!!!!

T
TU posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2014 9:51 AM

Way cool Wendy!

2 weeks to go everyone!!

hang10tiki we do think alike because I also love the way you have decorated your tiki room and backyard.

MadDogMike welcome home from your honeymoon. It's fun to see you here. I'm negligent I need to check your thread.

TU thank you and the guys too.

==============================================================

More photos for the Alien Tiki swap.

After mixing up some colors for flesh I started to fill in the face.

I cut out the section that was dark and then using the other half I filled that missing portion in.

Then I took the other half off and started to lighten areas such as the cheeks.

I cut up the face again and used pieces to help me locate where to put the eyes.

It's like a puzzle that I just piece together.

Lips.

Eyeballs.

Teeth.

Now I'm getting somewhere. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-07-18 22:02 ]

Very nice!

He's lookin great...

T
TU posted on Sat, Jul 19, 2014 8:49 AM

Way cool progress shots!

12 more days after today!!

Z

YAY!

T

Wendy, that is one good looking goof! (Or, the goof is looking good?) :)

He looks a lot like I do when I wake up in the morning :wink:

MaukaHale hello Colorado, has it stopped snowing?

TU only 12 days! Horrors, no aliens, no deadlines!

ZeroTiki Neigh!

TikiAno he's looking at something. I don't know what. He's happy you think he looks good. I told him to see a dentist.
Is it Hot Chocolate time?

MadDogMike did you see your do not disturb sign?

=========================================================

Just a couple more steps completed for the Alien Tiki Swap.

I covered the sky with stars. I used a special ceramics paint that sparkles as you walk by. This makes the painting seem alive.

I also added a small earth in the background.

This is a really fun swap. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-07-19 21:51 ]

Wendy,

The high today will be 97 and it will reach 100 by Tuesday. The temperatures still won't stop me from playing ice hockey twice a week.

Nice touch with the ceramic paint for the stars. You have created a piece of art that exercises the mind by asking the question, "What is happening in this picture?"

What did you use to draw The Goof on the canvas, a pen or pencil? I'm new to acrylic painting. Someone told me that if you use pencil it can bleed into the paint.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-07-20 06:00 ]

MaukaHale gosh I've never had a problem with a pencil but this painting and most others that I've done I've used a permanent felt pen marker. It makes doing a copy of an original so much easier. I once did Elvis and his nose was too long. I had to start over. That is when I started using photos for any copies. Doing your own thing is super easy doing a copy and getting the proportions right is really hard.

How did you do it CY?

Cheers, Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2014 7:34 PM

Wendy my background in art comes from redrawing rough pencil sketches done by super artists into inked finals that I then added colors to. I learned so much from a variety of styles that obviously influence me to this day, but my own style went completely off the rails when I tired of doing others' work. I really wanted this piece to closely resemble the original and am happy with George but the rest are a bit off. (Don't tell anyone) I downloaded a very blurry-bad copy from the internet and just replaced Astro with a moai and added Hawaiian props. Here is the framed and finished product ready to ship or hand deliver to Tiki Oasis.

CY it looks perfect to me and I watched all those cartoons. Good job. More and more I'm sad to miss Tiki Oasis and all my tiki buddies. Wendy

T
TU posted on Mon, Jul 21, 2014 10:11 AM

It's The Final Countdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 10 days left

On August 1 when I get home from work I will conduct the random drawing.

Great Job Everyone

Here is the list of the completed swap pieces so far. If I missed you, sorry, please let me know...

Zero
Mad Dog
Cy
Anthony
Hang 10
Tiki Ano
Lori
Mauka Hale
and me

Still plenty of time before the deadline. Wish I could see you guys in San Diego. Darn job

[ Edited by: TU 2014-07-21 10:30 ]

Tu,

Thank you for running the swap. It's been a fun endeavor for me. My category is actually "almost finished." I'll have it finished this weekend. I haven't posted a picture of the finished art yet.

T

Tu, thanks for running this Swap. I'm finished frighteningly earlier than usual, shocking!

cy, I also was a Jetsons watcher, and it looks great to me!

Wendy, sent you a message re: chocolate. :)

Plenty of time left...! (???)

T
TU posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2014 2:41 PM

Only 9 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is everyone doing?

Almost done.

Awesome swap

Near disaster.
So I decided to put a coat of clear gloss on the Goof alien project,
for some reason the gloss did not like the white paint and turned it brown.
:(
Also the type of wood I used for the alien must not like gloss either and came out horrible.

Sanded the gloss off the whitehat and repainted it.
Sanded the gloss off the alien and restain him grey.
Gloss left on the lower half of da Goof.
Done!!!!!!!!

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-07-23 09:01 ]

Excellent hang10tiki. He's really cute and so is the little grey alien. Glitches make us better artists, good job of overcoming the obstacles. Wendy

That what makes great golfers as well as artists. Its how well you recover.

Jon, glad that fix worked out for you.

Mine is boxed up and waiting for a Swap Partner names and address

TU, thank you so much for leading this Swap :)

T

Jon, nice SAAAAAAAVVVVVVVE! (my attempt at being a sports' commentator).

Mike, thanks for the reminder, will find mine, dust it off, and get it ready to blast off!

Thanx all
I actually started a second project just to be safe
Don't need that one now

TU- like so many before me have said "Thanks for being our leader"

T
TU posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2014 5:19 AM

Down to the last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which makes me kinda sad, because it almost seems like the end of summer. Maybe it will be a warm fall and winter here in Colorado and I won't dream of running away to an island someplace equatorial.

Thanks for all of the thanks guys. And thanks for helping me out Mike. I couldn't have done this without your support.

T
TU posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2014 4:44 PM

Only six days left.....remember to post a pic of your completed swap art.

Time for the last minute Tiki people to jump in on this....

Jump

T
TU posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2014 5:37 AM

Four more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Horrors, I'd better get to work ASAP.

I couldn't find a thrift store frame in the right size so I dragged Dan to Arron Brothers. Lucky me the 1 cent sale was on so I have a second frame to use for another painting in the future.

Cheers, Wendy

Crap! I have to find shorts for my alien. Going out for this tomorrow.

Hello Tiki Space Artists!

I'm finished with my piece and am ready to trade. :) It's called "Atomic Space Girl" and it's an 8" x 10" acrylic painting on stretched canvas. It's influenced by retro novel covers and episodes of old Star Trek.

I love seeing the diverse range of art here! From 2D paintings to 3D mugs, everybody's work is so cool!

=)

Sandra Fremgen
http://www.PandaandMe.com

That came out really well. I like how you used blue instead of black to make it look like outer space!

Thank you for noticing MaukaHale! =) I avoid black as much as possible because it sucks the life out of my paintings. Even if I have to use a dark color, I mix reds, greens and blues together instead.

Sandra

[ Edited by: SandraFremgen 2014-07-27 23:41 ]

Sandra
Wow
Awesome...........

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies