Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies

Dale, it's usually difficult to attach fired pieces to wet clay since the fired is already shrunk and the wet will shrink as it dries and fires. But I think VanTiki is using fired porcelain teeth in wet paperclay so maybe it could work?

T
TU posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2014 7:11 PM

Woodtiki--great sketches. Lookin good!

Mad Dog--you're a genius. That is going to be out of this world

Cy--I was hoping someone would bring the Jetsons into it

I will try to snap a pic of mine in progress tomorrow.

If everyone could send me a pm with their email address and I will start a list to send info out.

Great job everyone!

tu

Woodtiki--great sketches. Lookin good!

Mad Dog--you're a genius. That is going to be out of this world

Cy--I was hoping someone would bring the Jetsons into it

I just couldn't say it better, Wendy

T
TU posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2014 10:44 AM

Here is the sketch and the painting so far.

Still not sure where to put the plastic flamingo. It just wouldn't be an original "tu" without a flamingo.

tu

Z

On 2014-04-24 00:03, TikiAno wrote:

Zero, you're on fire!

OW! OW! OW!
:tiki:

Great start TU!

Turns out it is more difficult to find green glowsticks that I thought! Not at Big 5, Pep Boys, Target, Dollar Tree. My DoItCenter hardware has yellow but not green. And WalMart has a 2 pack with one green and one yellow. Don't want to buy a bunch of those and throw out all the yellows :( Guess it's Amazon Prime then?

Go guys go

T

Mike, Party City should have glow sticks (I think).

I haven't yet thrown any porcelain, and throwing thinner walls is NOT my forte. :wink:

I suppose you could cast a very, very thin porcelain piece, but since it's pretty fragile to work with when it's so thin it would be tough to alter.

TU, looks great. cy, awesome (of course).

Can't wait to see more.... Including getting started working on my own!

Already this is so cool! Lots of fantastic space tiki goodness - WooHOO!
Aaaand....Progress!

New super secret goodies already in progress.... but a secret!
~Zero

You were right TikiAno, glow sticks at Party City. While I was there I picked up some nice plastic tikis to replace all the tacky palm and ceramic ones I had :lol: :wink: :lol:

Lookin' good Zero

Everyone's projects are looking great! I would have liked to jump in, but I think my platter is a little too full right now. I look forwards to seeing all of them completed!

[ Edited by: tigertail777 2014-04-28 17:44 ]

T
TU posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2014 7:35 PM

Mike-your sketch is looking good

Zero-I like the progress!

Tigertail-your presence is missed. I have the swap piece from you on display until I build an inside tiki bar some day

Thanks again for joining everyone!

tu

T

MDM, ha ha ha! Yeah, I switched over to plastic, too- they last forever, and they feel much more personal (to me)! ;0 :wink:

(just kidding, folks).

T

Started building the form of one mug. Rolled out a slab, wrapped around a piece of PVC, and ended up with this. I'll let it set up for a few days then start to work on features for this "Some People Call Me a Space Moai" mug.

Yeah! Some call me the gangster of Lono.

WOW...Mike, I spit coffee over that line. I'm shocked you didn't go ahead with the next one....

"Some people call me Moairice"

• Dale

T
TU posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2014 6:43 PM

Nice craters Zero!

ST

I wish I had some semblance of artistic talent, this goes right in with my tiki Star Wars room.

Z

On 2014-04-30 18:43, TU wrote:
Nice craters Zero!

Thanks - I work out.

T

Dang was going to make it to the studio to add ears and to start the face build out on the mug, but paddled out for a surf and stepped on a stingray. That's never fun, so I spent the afternoon not working AND not working on pottery, but sitting with my foot in a bucket of blazing hot water.

Hopefully the mug didn't get too dry with this blazing heat we're having down here in SD.

(Okay, not bragging to others in other parts of the country re: temperature, though it doesn't help clay). :)

T
TU posted on Fri, May 2, 2014 6:12 AM

Bummer about the stingray dude! It snowed here the other day.

Thanks for all the pics and work everyone is doing.

Keep working out Zero!

Hello Tiki Artists!

I finally sat down at my computer to concept out some sketches that I want to do for the art swap. I've been looking at everybody's work so far! Good job!!! =)

My sketches revolve around a phrase that has been in my head "THe Loneliest Tiki." It made me think of a sad Tiki Character that got left behind on the moon. He is the last one standing.

And since I"ve been watching a lot of old Star Trek episodes with my husband, I had to include some space women. :) It seems like young WIlliam Shatner always gets the hot space girl! I'll probably move on to doing a bigger piece or more concepts...

Thanks for reading! I look forward to seeing more progress pictures.

Sandra

W

Hahahaha! "Moairice", I love it!

T

Sandra, love both paintings- and your website as well! TU, sorry about the snow!

"even though I speak of PNG in spa-ace."

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-05-02 12:41 ]

Sandra, looks good! There redhead is HOTT :wink:

TikiAno, did you keep the stingray? I NEED one, can you hook me up?

T

Everything is looking great!

Finally carved out some time to get in my studio and play with the paints...

...and a little more time...

...and that's a wrap for today!

Peace.

T
TU posted on Sat, May 3, 2014 6:00 AM

Sandra--both of those are great. Love the panda stuff too.

TikiDave--Love the rocket, which reminds of an old band called "Love and Rockets"

I haven't had much time, but I hope to work more today once my gardener duties are finished.

MadDog--What do you need a stingray for? Can you freeze dry them or turn them into a lamp?

tu

For this TU It could actually fit into this Swap theme!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30942&forum=1

JASON!!! Good to see you again, looks great so far.

T

Mike - thanks, brother... We've been busy. Our Tribe has moved from the Arizona desert to the Colorado mountains!

Peace,
Jason 'Tiki' Daye

T
TU posted on Tue, May 6, 2014 4:24 AM

Thanks Mad Dog. I have never seen one of those. Now I want one. I have some free time tomorrow, so I will work on my painting and post an update.

Keep up the good work everyone and keep posting, that way the thread doesn't get so far down the list that I have to look for it. lol

T

How many do we have in in this swap?
Has anyone reached out to past swappers?

Peace,
Jason 'Tiki' Daye

T
TU posted on Tue, May 6, 2014 7:58 PM

Here is a list of the participants, thanks for those of you who sent me your email!

Zero
TikiAno
Wendy
Hang10tiki
Sandra
Moondog
Lori
Tipsy
Woodtiki
cy
Anthony
Jason
MadDog
Pikeys Dog
and tu

that makes 15 I think,

Did I miss anyone?

T

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing everyone's creations...

Thanks for leading this one, TU!

Peace,
Jason 'Tiki' Daye

T

This is going to be good- especially if I can ever make it back into the studio. :) (Not to mention finishing off fighting this infection from that dang stingary).

Mike, no, the little buggers don't die when they attack- unfortunately. Next time you're in SD give me a ring and I can show you a few places where they all are- unfortunately I don't recommend trying to snag one. They're found in very shallow water and you don't want to wade out to find them (they bury themselves under the sand). Maybe with a hawaiian sling you can go shooting (blind) at them? I'll watch from afar.

Looks like we have a good amount of folks participating in this Swap! Love seeing everyone's work so far!

C
cy posted on Wed, May 7, 2014 8:32 AM

MadDog, I have an extra sting ray you can have. Sincerely -Steve Erwin

Z

cy - that joke kills.
PROGRESS!

the wahine is finally looking less...... dudely.

~Zero

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2014-05-07 10:52 ]

T
TU posted on Wed, May 7, 2014 12:51 PM

KRIKEY!!!!!

Zero--You have captured the craters in their natural habitat! That big one looks a little cranky..

Unbelievable

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-05-07 14:05 ]

T

Made it back to the studio today. The first cylinder I had built had dried a bit too much to work on (in the direction I wanted to head with it), so hand built another form. I started adding features. First, the Space Moai's "Spock-like" ears...

Then added its brow and mouth....

Then built up its nose...

Originally I had planned to have antennae coming up over the top of the mug, but decided it would be a little more demure if they were brushed back and hanging out behind its ears. These will be trimmed with texture added.

T
TU posted on Thu, May 8, 2014 7:41 PM

Life long and make mugs, Ano.

I'm going to hi-jack the thread, rather than start a new one, to see if there are any recommendations for fun stuff to do in the LA/Santa Monica area the first week of June. If you have a suggestion, send me a pm.

tu

ST

I wish I had the art skills and time to jump in on this.

T

...a little more time in the studio today...

'The Marquesan Chronicles' is coming along!

Peace,
Jason 'Tiki' Daye

Its been a bit so a lot to catch up on

Tikidaye --love the tiki so cool
Zero------looking good dig the hula girl
Tikiano---cant with to see the color on that ting
Sandra---- I LOVE YOUR ART!!! I will email you very soon :)
TU--------Dig the space ship and thanks for running the show!
Maddog----gonna be a wil one (and i will be looking for the hardware
Thats way cool)

Now on too the art i finished mine i posted the build on my thread

Its 4 pieces of glass with one shot enamel
sacramento being my home town i used it for the background
the foreground is burring folks and bones and the alien is a
tikied out mars attacks alien, and then a blank glass for the cover
the top is a carved plank of wood i used recycled crate for the
wood and some rope and old bamboo for the sides.
this was my first attempt at carving letters on the top.

Take Me To Your Tiki Bar is done maybe a little fine
tuning between now and the trade date.

Wow
Everything looks amazing
U guys are on fire

I got a start today but so far just a clay cylinder, nothing picture worthy :lol:

W

Things are looking great! I love this theme. I've been working on mine, and just about finished. Going to find a frame for it, add a couple highlights and good to gooooo!

Here are a couple progress shots:

Pretty great stuff landing on planet SWAP!

Progress:

And say hello to Serv - O - bot 40000!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies