Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies

Drones, the airspace over a house is fair game.

T
THOR's posted on Thu, May 8, 2014 2:25 AM

I have managed to get some significant press interest on this saga! I will update when more details surface! I am hoping the persistence pays off.

Luna might be on to something

Good luck Tom!
So who here has a drone?

On 2014-05-08 02:25, THOR's wrote:
I have managed to get some significant press interest on this saga! I will update when more details surface! I am hoping the persistence pays off.

Please update when you hear something Tom. And yes good luck!

P

this thread is has officially made the world a better place. lol...

T
THOR's posted on Thu, May 8, 2014 1:58 PM

Well Glad u think so "pjc"! Thanks for contribution !

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-08 14:00 ]

On 2014-05-07 17:21, lunavideogames wrote:
Drones, the airspace over a house is fair game.

The purchase papers for my house say I own the airspace directly above my lot, "up to infinity". I figure this means I temporarily own a portion of the moon from time to time as the eighth-acre outline of my lot passes over its surface. Sometimes maybe other planets as well -- perhaps planets we don't even know about yet. It staggers the imagination.

T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights

TL;DR: "The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States."

But, I like your thinking! That 8 acres of moon ain't worth much, but 8 acres of Alpha Centauri...now we're talking!

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-08 18:22 ]

I've been working on Frankie's Tiki Room owners to get a fish tank and a Paku and name it Rufus 2.
They can also add video blips of the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas scene with Rufus (1) on the screens.
What do ya'll think?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around :wink:
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2014-05-09 07:44 ]

UB

Here's your "No Trespassing " solution.

Drone Fishing!

Ben - I think that would be a really nice tribute. Especially if Rufus is gone.

Who's going to make a Rufus tribute mug?

There already was a Rufus mug. They regularly turn up on eBay and sell for $100+. Maybe what we need is a mug with the likeness of Mr. Zhu. He can be holding his hand out in front (for money) and then be holding Rufus by the tail behind his back, with X's on Rufus's eyes. He'd have a big smile on his face.

DZ
T

Tacky Tiki....that would indeed be tacky..lol But I gotta admit if we do discover Rufus has met a fate we hate to imagine ... I volunteer to design that freaking mug!!! By the way, I am still waiting for more update from press.. I was asked to hold tight..they were DEFINITELY VERY interested in this and were currently " collecting all the data".
Ben ! Brother you have a great idea there! Let's hope like hell Rufus is alive. However a second one could be named, " Two-fus". ? Maybe?

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-09 13:00 ]

On 2014-05-09 12:52, THOR's wrote:
Let's hope like hell Rufus is alive. However a second one could be called " Two-fus". ? Maybe?

Awesome, Thor! First there's Rufus. Then his successor Two-fus. Then I'd say that the person who would be responsible for Rufus' demise, if it happened, would be Doofus.

I envision all three sitting in a row similar to the Hear No Evil/See No Evil monkeys. It would be commemorative cocktail drinkware with three figures all interconnected so that they would function like a shareable bowl.

I've got 2 of the blue mugs. Didn't realize they were going for that much.

Thor great news that other press outlets are pressing for more info. Maybe we'll get that photo after all.

FM

Update: I spoke to Alan a couple of nights ago. His answer was still "No" about selling him and he reiterated what he had told me about Rufus being safe. I pressed him for a photo and he told me that he will send me one via text. He's starting to feel heat again regarding this and I surely hope that he will send me a pic as I don't know where he lives or where exactly Rufus is at, otherwise I would get the pic myself. I will call him again tonight.

Well you know me...I avoid controversy, but I have read all the info in the Rufus threads. I may not post but I am watching the drama and trying to think good thoughts for Rufus and all the wonderful people who are making great efforts to keep him safe and find a home where he will be comfortable.

I like the Mission Impossible ploy...drone cruising over the "koi pond" where Rufus is supposedly living.

I like Ben's idea of a Rufus 2 at Frankie's.

I think we need a new mug (by Thor) as a tribute to Rufus...whether he is alive (and all the shit he has been through) or dead (I hope not).

RUFUS...MAY HE LIVE WELL AND PROSPER!!!

Keep up the efforts everyone.

T
THOR's posted on Fri, May 9, 2014 8:38 PM

Thanks fez Moai ! Interesting ! I won't hold my breath but interested to see him send a solid Photo of Rufus underwater looking through a rippled, reflective surface of a pond and be able to positively identify it as Rufus. That's a feat for the greatest of photographers.
My feeling is that resistence to sell Rufus and control ant eye wittness sightings is not a good sign. Holding out my hope though for closure and or justice ! Either way, thanks for your report fez!

Thor - any update on the press?

I'm going to just assume Zhu hasn't sent over a pic of Rufus yet...

T

Press contacts are "waiting for more info to
Surface". Very frustrating. No one seems to wanna talk or have access to more data.

Hang in there THOR. Sometimes the press watches for what they may consider pet projects and then they may take a very cautious approach. This is an issue which they may see dragging on (which it is) and which they may not judge to be newsworthy enough at the moment. But that doesn't mean we should stop being concerned or stop reaching out to them.

Persistence and tenacity will offer the best chance of making our "Mission Impossible" become "Mission Possible."

T

I FULLY agree Aceā€¦ I will be on this till the full truth is exposed. I have already invested to much time in this to let it fade to a no conclusive cover up ploy. Thanks for the encouragement and support!

Thanks for the update Thor!

P

I heard a rumor that he was spotted at a bar in Havana drinking mojitos with Elvis and Marilyn Monroe...

T

PJC.... YOU ...are just too hilarious for this thread... Um... thanks of the "valuable" contribution buddy!!

FM

Alan sent me two pictures of Rufus. I'm just trying to figure out how to load them on here.

P

When you post look below the "Message Body" box. There is a link that says, "Add Images To Your Post". That will tell you how to do it.

Basically, you upload the image to Tiki Central from your machine. It will give you a link and you have to copy and paste that link into your post. If you are on a mobile device (eg, ipad) that won't let you copy/paste, then write the link down verbatim on a piece of paper and then type it into your post.

You're killing me, Fez!

On 2014-05-15 15:15, Fez Moai wrote:
Alan sent me two pictures of Rufus. I'm just trying to figure out how to load them on here.

Since you have been posting photos of your Bahooka swag for months now
this must be your idea of a sick joke.

T

Thanks Fez, Load them like any other image. I know you have loaded a lot on the Bahooka saga in other threads. Whatever you did before worked! This will be really interesting to see. Especially Since, if Rufus is in a Pond, Mr. Zhu claims, taking a photo down through the surface and being able to identify the fish...I would GUESS is not an easy task. However, I am all eyes and hoping for a convincing shot! ~

On 2014-05-15 15:15, Fez Moai wrote:

Two questions:

1. Why are you saying you don't know how to post pictures when you've done it plenty of times before?
  2. Why always with the mystery? Can't you at least tell us how Rufus looks in the photos?

This thread makes me exasperated. "I have details! More to come!"

:x

T

I think you may get answers from Jorge who I would guess is back from Mexico.
But then Jorge may not want to tell what has happened so this is why he is out
of the picture.

Tell him you want to buy some fish tanks, it seems like every time money is involved with
this fish people come on here and post and post.
Once the money is out of the picture no more posts.

I bet Jorge is a bad liar.

I have called Jorge quite a few times & did not get an answer
is it possible he has changed his number?
or has he been instructed not to talk to anyone?

Has any members of the press been able to contact him?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-15 18:39 ]

OK, Fez. I've given you the benefit of the doubt through this whole thing, but to come on here, say you've got pics & 3+ hours later we're still waiting for them is a bit much. You shouldn't have said anything until you posted them!

T

Fez...if you have info please post now. It's clear that holding info on this thread instills frustration...and this is very easy to understand. We are about a team effort here..."Ohana spirit". That goes for all. Can you please post the pictures?
Thank you

R

wow.. still no pics?

T

Just to keep this all honest. Lets be aware that pics and video can easily be found on the net of various species of Pacu in warm ponds raised in that environment. Unlike the story of Rufus. IF photos do appear here, which I am losing faith now as to such a thing, they need to be accompanied by a trustworthy witness or the press.
My personal feeling is that this entire thing is loaded with lies, cover ups and profit driven insentive over moral obligation or sincere concern for the outcome for Rufus. Trust me, more muck will continue to rise. Again, though a laborious and painfully prolonged process, this thread will serve its purpose progressively.

Here are a few samples of what I pulled off the net in just 3 minutes... THIS IS NOT RUFUS. Repeat! This is not Rufus.. But with a well told yarn of reassuring words...one could try to bullshit very easily. We have a core of very bright minds investing interest in exposing this whole saga...and the noise will only get louder till there are some REALLY SOLID facts and observations made of where this fish ended up. Sometimes staying focussed on a cause that has heart and principal behind it is well worth the headache!!!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-16 08:05 ]

Fez????

R

24 hrs??? no word or pictures? nice job Fez..

T

This is one of our Koi fish from our pond we had him for over 8 years.
Something got him in the night.
This fish grew up in this pond so over the years it learned that MANY things
would try to eat him day and night, Herron, Raccoon, Skunk, that cat that many people have
that is an "outdoor cat" frogs even snakes.
The thing is this fish learned to hide and stay away from these things, lots of my fish were
not so good at this.
But Rufus was trained to come to sound as this meant hey I'm getting food.
Lets hope that he can learn real fast that he's not in a safe tank anymore.
It's going to be hard for him to adjust to many changes he will face in this new pond.

Trail cam.

T

Fez, I seriously am one for having a ton of good faith in everyone's intentions on this cause,you included. However, I gotta step in here and express some thoughts on this recent Rufus Photo claim you made yesterday. I am having a VERY hard time with this and hoping you can break the silence and communicate here.

I have stated clearly on this thread several times, that what starts to get people seriously frustrated is when information is harbored or "controlled" rather than shared with a concerned community. You know that everyone is really feeling very hopeless about this situation and looking for all possible proof to make them feel otherwise. For you to wave a photo claim a day ago, then vanish without manifesting these, is much like waving a steak in front of the bars of a caged hungry tiger and then sitting on a chair and eating it in front of it. Really...you must see how this is provoking, if not "asking" to get the swipe of a claw upside the head. lol Please don't be alarmed or feel you are a victim when this happens, cause there are just too many people on here very tired of the games played by Mr. Zhu or others that have sabotaged the efforts of a happy outcome for this fish we had sentiment for. I hope you understand my concern and this makes sense.

The "press" is still" waiting for more to happen"..though following this saga closely. This was really a very simple thing that has turned into a nightmare of disfunction, which I fear has lead to a dismal outcome.

I haven't been on this since Wednesday, wow, what a difference a day can make...

When I spoke to them, Frank Syong and Chris Nichols had both reached out to Jorge but neither had been able to get in touch with him. I suspect this is either because Jorge knows the ugly truth or he doesn't want to get involved, maybe he's working with Zhu who knows.

Whatever the case may be, I've got to add my voice to the people expressing frustration at Fez coming on here and claiming to have pictures and then not putting them up or explaining why he couldn't. As ATP said there are lots of picture that have been uploaded by Fez of items to sell from the Bahooka. Constantly inserting yourself into the narrative and claiming "inside information" but never coming through is doing nothing to help this cause or help find a resolution and is understandably making lots of people who care and have contributed in some way question you. I'm one to always give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when I don't know them personally and I'm hoping there's some reason for this, but looking back over the history of this it's hard to stay positive.

[ Edited by: SoCal Savage 2014-05-16 17:35 ]

I'm done checking this thread! Someone please PM me if any real info comes to light.

T

I don' t blame you at all Big Kahuna. My patience is worn to a paper thin membrane as well.

I think at this point, the hope would be for the press, Frank or Chris, to recognize that there IS NEW story to tell..and NOW. We have plenty of updates since the initial articles were posted Months back. Amoung other things, we have:

1. All of those "representing Mr.zhu", now Jorge included, have failed to display any real follow through suggesting they truly were passionate about the final outcome of Rufus, ignoring all sources reaching out to them for closure. Their current stand is silence. This suggests foul play of some sort to me, fully. As So Cal Savage commented, I am beginning to believe that their loyalty to Alan Zhu, possibly money motivated, far outweighed their true concern for the outreach of this community or the welfare of Rufus. It feels very "slippery" to me...and all involved in this hush up conclusion.

2. We also have reached a progressive point in this story where we have seen a clear track record of Mr. Zhu and his spokesmen, making claims to appease the public concern for Rufus' mew home that NEVER came through. They told the press, when they decided to keep the fish, that their reasons were for the safety of the fish, and moving them, they agreed would be too risky. They stated as quoted by the press, that a new large 2000 gallon tank was being constructed for Rufus and the other Pacus that would be featured happily in this New restaurant. Zhu,s spokesman was even suggesting that the funds raised to move Rufus to Damon.s be given to him cover the costs of this new tank and the handling to do so. No tank ever was constructed !

3. After all this, we have to accidentally discover that Rufus is suddenly gone from his home...his former tank of 30 some years laying dry in the corner of a dusty construction mess. No explanation . Zhu felt no moral obligation to reassure this community that was more than obviously concerned for the outcome of Rufus, where the hell he had gone to. Like we should all just forget about the whole thing.

4. Then added to this, as well as an update for news, is this mysterious claim by Zhu, based only on his word, that he somehow transported this fish (How..a five gallon bucket ?) to, and I heard two versions of this story... a man made "river" or pond on his property, though I also heard it was on his wealthy friends property...and yet another person who spoke directly to the former Chef at Bahhoka said Zhu told him Rufus was thrown into a river in Long Beach!!!! What the hell is the REAL story??? My gut says its a fabricated story to get us all to shut up. Otherwise , Zhu and Jorge and any other involved party would be OVERJOYED to show communicate the happy outcome if for no other reason, to get people off his back!! Again, this guy is aware of the sentiment Rufus has to hundreds of people...likely more since this story was exposed outside our Tiki Community. He feels no obligation or humanitarian good will to invite the press to document the happy closure to the Rufus saga. We know his word is worth absolutely nothing, so we simply have a vanished Rufus.

I really would hope people reading this will also reach out to the press in numbers and impress their concern rather than just watch all this happening. Myself and So Cal Savage have done this and apparently have not impressed the fact, enough, that this INDEED is all NEW story to tell...NOW. It leaves the public to add up the evidence and use their instincts and gut to make some conclusions. If we cannot positively account for where this fish ended up... Be it a fish pond or a dumpster, we cannot make closure on this...PERIOD. In this case, I don't think we should be allowing Zhu to think everyone is supposed to shut up and join this community to go spend money to eat in his new restaurant, founded on such dark ,greedy and heartless circumstances. If that doesn't make for some bad ju ju nothing will!!

I want to remind everyone that Rufus is dear to the hearts of many. However, In addition to this, this entire story and its outcome is very symbolic for all of us here who proclaim our passion for preserving the spirit of "tiki" and the things it is made up of. We lose landmark places, ever so rapidly to greedy, culture ignorant developers, foreign and local. Rufus was very much the mascot and heart of Bahooka. I still can't believe he was left behind by the previous Bahooka family, frankly...and this is the result. Help tell this story!! Make a difference if we can...or at least be a community that displays a powerful united spirit to fight for what we so fondly embrace and celebrate!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-17 08:07 ]

Thanks Thor, My words would not be so measured regarding Rufus's disappearance & Fez's continued role in all of this.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies