Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies

FM

On 2014-05-20 18:34, TikiTacky wrote:

On 2014-05-20 18:23, Fez Moai wrote:
Wow, I go on vacation and everyone goes crazy.

Forgive my incredulity, but you've got to be kidding.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-20 18:34 ]

No, I'm not. You're forgiven.

FM

On 2014-05-20 18:37, TikiTacky wrote:

On 2014-05-20 18:33, Fez Moai wrote:

They were sent via text to me. I haven't been able to send them to my email to post because it doesn't allow me to for some reason.

Post what kind of phone and OS you have and I'm sure people would be happy to help get instructions to get them out of your phone.

It's a Kyocera Hydro XTRM Android phone.

FM

If you want to PM your phone number, I can forward the pics to you.

Sure, I'll bite. PM sent.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-20 18:47 ]

Images as provided by Fez:

I have no other details.

I sent Fez Moai my tn too.
Thank you for posting.

For comparison, here's a shot of him at the Bahooka:

And another:

And another:

I don't want to pass judgement, but I'm comparing things like the fins, the side coloration, the scarring and the nose.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-20 19:26 ]

R

wow. that doesn't look like a backyard pond to me..I guess that's good?

I also wondered about the small size. The closeness of the shots and lack of a size reference limits perspective, yet I wonder if this isn't a bait and switch. Of course, as the photos were texted to Fez, he plausible deniability.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2014-05-20 19:12 ]

This is a picture I shot of Rufus the last Sunday that they were open. Just a cell phone pic but I hope it helps. To me it looks like it may be him but I am no expert. It looks like his fins are chewed on a bit which I have seen when fish are put together. Sometimes they attack each other and bite the fins of the other fish, since the fins are the easiest part to eat. Again I am no fish expert by any means. Can anyone chime in that has knowledge of fish? Swizzle?

PS: Thanks for getting these pictures up. I was beginning to assume the worst.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-05-20 19:38 ]

Well then-let's just name this new "imposter" fish "Rufus", give him all of our love, and finally put an end to all this...

Buzzy Out!

OK, I'm now going on the record as saying with 100% certainty that isn't Rufus. There's plenty of evidence in the pics, but there's two details that clearly give it away.

Rufus has growth on his gills from advanced age. He has them on both sides. The fish in the photos is missing that on both sides. Rufus also has similar growths at the base of his pectoral fins on both sides. The other fish is missing it on both sides.

My unfortunate conclusion is that Rufus is gone. :(

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-20 19:44 ]

T

The gills are totally different!! Rufus had a very distinct tattered gills!! Also, WHY AGAIN are we getting mixed stories???? ZHU said he was in a pond!!!! I am seriously getting pissed!!!!

Also, FEZ!!!! Why would you KNOWingly tease with said photos a WEEK ago…and go on "vacation" no explanation!! You knew how important this was!! What kind of attention game are you playing???? You and I need to have a talk buddy! You are mind screwing people here and I have had ENOUGH!!!!

I will at least defend Fez by acknowledging that he sent me the photos from his phone as soon as I asked for them. His explanation, while unsatisfactory to many, is plausible. But it doesn't matter. The situation is clearly apparent that this isn't Rufus.

R

Fez. What is your malfunction?

FM

Thor, who the heck do you think you are? All of you guys are acting like a bunch of pansies! I offered to talk to you, REMEMBER!!!?? You have not sent a SINGLE message to me, AT ALL! You DEMAND information like if I am obligated to respond. I don't. I put out what I can because the first effort was RUINED by everyone sticking their hands in the pot. Tiki punkass gets his kicks off writing crap about me and stirring shit up, as usual. I post and people get their panties in a wad. I don't post and people get their panties in a wad. Grow the f up folks. This is why I don't post, because it's nonstop bullshit from everyone. I BOUGHT things from Alan, I didn't f'ing marry him! So you don't believe it's Rufus, Oh well. It's not my job to convince anyone otherwise. I sent the damn pics you guys wanted and I just knew you guys were going to tear it up. Tiki Ohana my ass.

the lighting is drastically different between the two tanks and rooms

S

Very well said Fez. When you didn't post any photos it led me to have second thoughts about you but you have just cleared your name with me and said exactly what needed to be said. Anywhere, and i mean ANYWHERE, a thread has turned into a slanging match ATP is always at the heart of it.

To everyone else attcking Fez, what could he possibly gain from lying to people? Seriously? Answer that question. He is passing on what he is being told. If what he is being told is bullshit you can't blame him. As Fez said, he is not OBLIGATED to tell anyone anything and guess what? Do you really think anybody, including all the people on this thread, is to going to put their holidays on hold just to answer questions to appease people on a forum?

On 2014-05-20 19:31, lunavideogames wrote:

It looks like his fins are chewed on a bit which I have seen when fish are put together. Sometimes they attack each other and bite the fins of the other fish, since the fins are the easiest part to eat. Again I am no fish expert by any means. Can anyone chime in that has knowledge of fish? Swizzle?

And you are correct lunavideogames. The stress of the move and different water quality/parameters can cause that as well.

And for my two cents, with Tiki Tackys pics i personally agree that it is not Rufus.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2014-05-20 20:08 ]

T

FEZ… I am taking a deep breath and going to address you once. Get off this thread! You have antagonized and aggravated the intentions of this cause with NO contributions leading to progress. I am happy to discuss this in person, but not at your soul convenience. Don't flatter yourself to think you intimidate me in the slightest. I will be at Tiki Oasis in August, and if you want to talk for whatever the reason you request…I am there! I don't see you as a value helping me at this point, however. Otherwise, I am done with your attitude and disrespect and moving past you to other avenues that maintain focus on this cause.

I also ask others to stay focussed. Bottom line, the pics are not Rufus. Fez is not responsible for that aspect, IF Zhu sent him these…my issue is otherwise explained. I am not going to spend any more energy on anything other than exposing the truth on this Rufus mystery guys! Please do the same. I also urge moderators to warn anyone firing up a pissing match here if necessary. Let's move on!

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-20 20:24 ]

Looking at Tiki Tacky's comparison it really seems like that isn't Rufus.

That truly sucks.

[ Edited by: SoCal Savage 2014-05-20 20:14 ]

On 2014-05-20 19:50, Fez Moai wrote:
Thor, who the heck do you think you are? All of you guys are acting like a bunch of pansies! I offered to talk to you, REMEMBER!!!?? You have not sent a SINGLE message to me, AT ALL!

Fez, Relax.
I sent you a text and we had a reasonable conversation, albeit brief.
We, including me and you, all want the best for Rufus.

I presume, that you, like me and everyone else, want to confirm that the photos texted to you were actually of Rufus. I already gave you a partial out by suggesting that you merely received the photos. Nevertheless, I presume you do have an inclination as to their photos authenticity and, further, an inclination as to whether Rufus is alive or whether, as I suspect, we (and maybe you, too) are being played for fools.

I appreciate no one wants to be receive criticism on this or any other board - but when one voices opinions, others respond. I, too, have received criticism, it is just the way it is.

Why don't you share your perspective, instead of hiding behind hyper-generalized personal attacks?

Frankly, this issue has come to a head. Either you respond, or you will be vilified.

On 2014-05-20 15:19, christiki295 wrote:

On 2014-05-20 08:53, shovinoff wrote:

On 2014-05-19 15:40, THOR's wrote:
Shovinoff.... "That was a really cool "moment" in words my friend... You "Get it..." and THAT is definitely what "Tiki" embodies... THANKS so much for contributing!!

Thanks for having me. My story?? OK! My Dad, who ran restaurants in Arcadia, San Marino and St. Croix, USVI, used to take the family to the W. Covina Bahooka 1n 1971. I was 10 years old and we had a blast. My little brother and I used to play on the artillery gun in the parking lot. We opened an ice cream parlor called the Tahitian Hut in Rowland Heights. We always reminisced about the Bahooka years after it closed. Forty years later, on a long drive home I was on Rosemead av and saw The Bahooka! all those years I never knew about the other restaurant. It became my new favorite place and had several birthday parties there. My brother said "Wow, is that the gun?" I'm almost glad I didn't know they were closing, as I would have gone nuts trying to find a way to buy it or the stuff or just drink all the Mai Tais. So now I'm working on my own little Bahooka at home in Riverside. I found TC looking for any stuff from Bahooka. One door closes and another opens! Thanks to Suzanne and Stacy for the company and cold ones. Hope to meet y'all at a tiki function or bar soon. Cool art,Thor!

What an entrance, Shovinoff!

Is the Tahitian Hut in Rowland Heights related to the one in San Francisco?
Please post any photos you have or of any other "urban archaeology" artifacts.

No connection but I would not be surprised if the Hut in Frisco wasn't an inspiration. Dad passed on in 2003 so I can't ask. We only lasted a year and I don't have any pix, but it was cool, with Bamboo and palm frond thatched awnings, ferns and waterfalls and a Wurlitzer juke box. My vote: That's not Rufus

T

We have the support of a phenomenal site that followed by thousands of loyal fans in the themed Entertainment Industry. Bahooka was a really wonderful place. A themed experience that touched many, along with a Mascot we are reaching out to help here. Please read this story and pass it on, Tweet it and share it in every way you can!! GREAT JOB "Them Park Adventure"!

Check it out here! ~ http://themeparkadventure.com/bahooka-drama-continues-rufus/

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-20 21:55 ]

Hey Thor I hate to break it to you, but this is an open thread on a public forum. You are not allowed to shoo people off of it simply because they don't agree with you.

This fish thread, like the last one, is a huge steaming pile of negativity, name-calling & all-around bad vibes that you are trying desperately to put a positive & righteous face on.

Obviously you don't agree, and that's ok, but you have to accept that those of us who are sick of seeing 16 pages of it at the top of our favorite site have every right to say so here.

I don't see anyone here who doesn't hope that the fish gets a good home. Let's all have a Mai tai, shall we?

T

Happy Buddah, Correction!
If the focus of this thread goes negative and outside of what it was intended achieve, as the creator of this thread, I will make sure it stays on focus! I don't condone any mud slinging or ego wars here. I will stop it and so will the moderators who try to keep this site from going down the hole. I have also asked anyone not having passion for supporting the cause of this thread to not insert negativity, opinion or otherwise. There is plenty to do on Tiki Central…energy can be put in many places other than pissing on the cause another invests in. The Mai Tai idea sounds great! I do support that!!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-05-20 22:06 ]

And I'm asserting that it's been negative since page one. Have you ever thought that just maybe there is no 'villain'? No conspiracy? Maybe it's just a friggin fish getting moved to another tank?

But what do I know? I do know you care about the fish, so cheers to a happy outcome.

T

Thanks Happy B! Cheers!

Another member created this and asked me to post it for them. Anyone who wants to can copy and paste it to reuse wherever they want to. It's a succinct comparison of the photo sent by Zhu and a photo of Rufus from the Bahooka.

Before anyone says something along the lines of "why put this together it's just belaboring a dead issue..." etc, etc - let me say that it seems worthwhile to make it clear (to anyone who may care) that there is still no (definitive) answer. This is merely a tool that sums that up and can be sent in an email or posted on social media.

I personally have no interest in "stirring the pot" or getting into a pissing match here and I won't. I loved the Bahooka and have always felt that this was a worthy cause for a lot of reasons.

T

Looks like a job for that Unsolved Mysteries show.:)

Maybe even The Jerry Springer Show.

TMZ?

A

On 2014-05-20 21:40, christiki295 wrote:

Frankly, this issue has come to a head. Either you respond, or you will be vilified.

Yikes, what the heck is that? That is a bizarre statement to see on TC. Is there anyone left who has successfully communicated with Mr. Zhu, and who has NOT been vilified here? Even Frank Shyong - is he included in this hush money allegation?

On 2014-05-20 22:05, THOR's wrote:

If the focus of this thread goes negative and outside of what it was intended achieve, as the creator of this thread, I will make sure it stays on focus! I don't condone any mud slinging or ego wars here.

Is vilifying people what this thread is intended to achieve?

On 2014-04-28 16:51, tikiskip wrote:

I did not expect Mr Zhu to let us know anything but did think that other TC folks would
keep us all posted on what they know, updates ect....

And as far as Rumors go if anybody hears something post it, We may come to find it's bogus
or it may come to be fact.
Don't think there is need to get pissed at each other

Wait, that sounds reasonable!

A little over a year ago, I had to sit on a jury for a lawsuit about a yelp post. I'm sure there are better legal authorities than me (I didn't have any particular interest in learning about libel), but even on a website, if you publish a statement as fact, that you actually know is pure speculation, and it causes injury to another party, then you can get yourself in actual serious trouble. Course I also think the lawsuits in this country are way out of hand, but that's a different subject.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it might help everyone to try a little harder to follow the stated goal here a little closer, of trying to learn more, and maybe cool off a little on the attacks, wild speculation, and rogue commando suggestions. But then, to be honest, I don't really understand if there is a specific goal that's actually achievable. If someone posted a pic of Rufus that looked like a better match (and that "someone" somehow met the criteria of getting the pic without having any connection to Mr. Zhu), would it really be over?

-Randy

Please, don't anybody sue me, I need my rum money!

Actually, friends, we all care about Rufus. So let's try to leave things where they are - we can't easily verify the authenticity of the photos, but we can hope for Rufus' safe return to a venue which is accessible to the public.

There is no benefit to beating anyone up about this - none of us here ran away with Rufus, and we're all passionate about seeing his safe return.

I like the "chill with a Mai Tai" idea. I think it's time for us all to relax a bit while we wait for more news.

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.