Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Strange Tiki Merchandise

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

I like where you're going there, Ace!

BB

Figured this was appropriate to the spirit of the thread - my sister asked me before Christmas whether Indonesia was considered "Tiki", and I told her it depends who you ask and what context. Come Christmas day I get handed this "Papua" PNG-inspired vape, with native Dani and Bird-Of-Paradise imagery. She even found some no-nicotine Pineapple-Orange-Guava flavored juice for it. This is such a narrow intersection of interests I couldn't think of a better thread for it.

On 2020-01-05 12:36, Bam Bam wrote:
Figured this was appropriate to the spirit of the thread - my sister asked me before Christmas whether Indonesia was considered "Tiki", and I told her it depends who you ask and what context. Come Christmas day I get handed this "Papua" PNG-inspired vape, with native Dani and Bird-Of-Paradise imagery. She even found some no-nicotine Pineapple-Orange-Guava flavored juice for it. This is such a narrow intersection of interests I couldn't think of a better thread for it.

Actually, I really like it, it is definitely unique and nicely detailed!

I found these abominations at Lowe's on January 3rd. They have solar-powered light-up eyes.

Yeah, guess how long that cheapo "solar power" electronics is going to remain weather-proof and last. These garish items show up every once in a while. These must be selling otherwise they wouldn't be carrying them. Time for a letter-writing campaign suggesting that really cool unpainted tikis would sell much better than these little monsters.

On 2020-01-06 07:45, AceExplorer wrote:
I found these abominations at Lowe's on January 3rd. They have solar-powered light-up eyes.

Yeah, guess how long that cheapo "solar power" electronics is going to remain weather-proof and last. These garish items show up every once in a while. These must be selling otherwise they wouldn't be carrying them. Time for a letter-writing campaign suggesting that really cool unpainted tikis would sell much better than these little monsters.

I pass on those every summer as I search for the concrete ones they occasionally carry. LOL

Yikes!

https://money.yahoo.com/golden-girls-tiki-mugs-only-164600954.html

Full text of the article from Delish - for posterity's sake:

*From Delish

Your four favorite ladies have gone tropical! The stars of The Golden Girls are embracing the warm weather in their Miami home with new tiki mugs. It goes without saying, but they’re the only dishware we’ll be drinking out of this summer.

The fun cups come from Beeline Creative as part of its Geek Tikis line. You have Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur) in green, Rose Nylund (Betty White) in yellow, Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan) in red, and Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty) in blue. The detail is pretty awesome, and you can tell which woman is which. Just look at Blanche’s long strand of pearls and Sophia’s glasses!

You can shop the Dorothy, Rose, Blanche, and Sophia mugs individually, but we all know that’s like picking a favorite child, so it’s a good thing you can get the entire set. The tiki mugs are $25.99 each, but the set of four costs $98.99 at Target. Hey, they’re ceramic! Keep in mind that these are only available online, so you won’t find them on your next Target run.

Each mug holds 16 to 18 ounces, depending on the style, and they’re top-shelf dishwasher- and microwave-safe. They’re built to last, according to the brand, so it looks like it’ll last you through many The Golden Girls marathons to come!

All that’s left to do is figure out what drink is going in the tiki mugs first. Is anyone else thinking that some sort of cheesecake cocktail is in order?!*

And along comes this "tiki" abomination, currently listed for sale ($45!) on Offerup.com: Wreath I'm hanging my head in shame because this is being handmade by a crafter in MY city! Unbelievable...

T

Ya know, all it needs is a pink elephant and it would be SOLD! 🐘

sports tiki

I spotted an entire row of these babies in a nearby Lowe's a few months back, but somehow I misplaced the photo I snapped. This is Groupon's pic, but the store I was in had a multiplicity of teams represented. A must-buy for every Sports Tiki bar!

Everyone needs a moai pen and pencil holder! IMG_0390 Found on a Chinese merch site for $15. No, I did not buy, but it made me laugh. They are making sales.

[ Edited by AceExplorer on 2023-06-12 06:22:18 ]

BB

Popped into the local Hobby Lobby for the first time a few days ago, hoping to find something interesting and/or useful. Besides a decent selection of faux tropical foliage, and a very overpriced string of reproduction glass bouys, THIS abomination was the only actual "Tiki" item in the entire store - and it's the start of Summer!

20230522_113337

Resin, a foot tall, and they want nearly $50 for it! Now at least I know I never have to visit Hobby Lobby again...

S

Someone will post that in Tiki For Everyone over on Facebook and they'll go crazy for it.

AceExplorer

AceExplorer Posted on yesterday at 6:21 AM

Everyone needs a moai pen and pencil holder!

Actually that made me laugh a bit also. Especially that it can hold a pen across his mouth !!

Ha! Somehow i completely missed your post yesterday. I bought one of those a little while ago because it made me laugh also when i saw it. I don't care how tacky it is. It's a moai and it's not clown Tiki. It's just silly.

Would the head hold straws and/or swizzle sticks? I could see that being a good bar device if it could.

The opening isn't huge but here's mine with half a dozen straws in it. You'd probably fit maybe 20 in there.

IMG20230615175458

A

I came across this today - tiki clothing for L.A. police

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-tactical-tiki.html

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies