Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

A Tiki Thirstday Escape August 15, 2019

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies

On 2015-03-25 07:30, Dr. Coruba wrote:
A recap of last week's gathering.
For the time and date of the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Tiki Thirstday "50" - March 26
Although a bit rainy, temperatures were in the high 60s for our first Tiki Thirstday of Spring, so it was perfect temps to break out the Aloha shirts and dresses.

Ahoha to
Bryan R. who found us for the first time, and Nick who was making his first return visit.

Never Enough Mahalos
for Miss Ling and Chef Fu who have made our weekly pilgrimages so much fun.

THIS THURSDAY, don't miss...

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

For the time and date of the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Keeping the Torches Burning Mahalos
to our many regulars who, despite some almost winter-like temps this April, kept coming back for great drinks, great food and great company.

Endless Mahalos
to Miss Ling and Chef Fu who keep up with us even on the busy nights.

Recent Winnahs
Congratulations to Esther and Big John for their winning tickets.

DC

to the nearly two dozen regulars and their guests that made for another fun and festive night out.

Endless Mahalos
to Miss Ling and Chef Fu whose hospitality knows no bounds.

Recent Winnahs
Congratulations to newbie Larry D. for scoring the win on his very first visit.

A Look Ahead - Vintage Vinyl Night
More than one Thirstdayer has suggested we have a Vintage Vinyl night, which is a great idea. Those with Tiki themed vintage vinyl and especially those with portable players please get in touch so we can pick a date this summer to give it a spin.

Last month at this time we were still getting chilly weather and the fireplace was still being fired up. Now that we've gotten back to short sleeve weather, thanks to those who are breaking out their Aloha wear!

Endless Mahalos
to Miss Ling and Chef Fu whose hospitality knows no bounds.

Recent Winnahs
Congratulations to Carol V!

A Generous Regular
has just gotten back from a California trek and may have some "extra" mugs from her trip. Jessica will have any spares with her on May 21, so look her up to see what you can pick up. There may be some special mugs from Don the Beachcomber and Deadhead Rum - yours for the price she paid.

Keeping the Torches Burning Mahalos to the "Tiki Twenty" that made it a fun evening.

Endless Mahalos
to Miss Ling and Chef Fu who make our gatherings something to look forward to each week.

And the Winnah is...
Congratulations to Bob F.

A Generous Regular
has just gotten back from a California trek and may have some "extra" mugs from her trip. Jessica had her spares with her. (I scored a Deadhead Rum and DtB mug!) I think she still has a couple left. Leave a message here if you are interested.

DC

A great idea is on the table, and now's the time to help pick the date by messaging me or posting here. Some time this June, July, or August let's have a "Blue Hawaii Night". We'll play the classic Elvis movie, Blue Hawaii, on the big screen in the lounge, Miss Ling and I will try and get a decent drink recipe to put Blue Hawaiian on the special board for the night, and bonus drawing tickets will be earned for anyone who comes dressed fitting a Hawaiian Elvis theme. (If we get enough "entrants" maybe we'll have a Best Hawaiian Elvis contest).

Endless Mahalos
to Miss Ling and Chef Fu who make our gatherings something to look forward to each week.

And the Winnah is...
this week's Lucky Duck is Connie!

A Generous Regular, Jessica, has been brining spare Don the Beachcomber and Deadhead Rum mugs to the gathering, and she should be present on June 4th. Look her up to score one.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-06-01 09:01 ]

On 2015-06-01 09:00, Dr. Coruba wrote:

A great idea is on the table, and now's the time to help pick the date by messaging me or posting here. Some time this June, July, or August let's have a "Blue Hawaii Night". We'll play the classic Elvis movie, Blue Hawaii, on the big screen in the lounge, Miss Ling and I will try and get a decent drink recipe to put Blue Hawaiian on the special board for the night, and bonus drawing tickets will be earned for anyone who comes dressed fitting a Hawaiian Elvis theme. (If we get enough "entrants" maybe we'll have a Best Hawaiian Elvis contest).

Endless Mahalos

And the Winnah is...
this week's Lucky Duck is Connie!

A Generous Regular, Jessica, has been brining spare Don the Beachcomber and Deadhead Rum mugs to the gathering, and she should be present on June 4th. Look her up to score one.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-06-01 09:01 ]

I vote for any of the following dates, since they're the only nights I can make it! lol
7/2/15
7/30/15
8/13/15
8/20/15

As we head into June more thoughts are turning to Aloha shirts and Exotic cocktails. Last week we had great turnout - the lounge was awash in Tiki shirts, Mai Tai glasses, leis, and Volcano bowls. Mahalos to the many old friends and new visitors (who were friends by end of the evening)

Endless Mahalos

And the Winnah
Stay tuned, the winnah will be announced at this weeks Tiki Thirstday on June 11.

For those of us who did not get to go to Ohana this week, or Hukilau last week, we'll use our time and rum wisely to make a little Oasis of our own for the evening. To our many regulars, we look forward to seeing you, for those who have not yet visited, you have no idea of the fun you are missing. Come on down - the Mai Tais are fine!

KG

Looking forward to my first Tiki Thirstday tonight! My wife and I will be bringing our favorite mugs, and I'll throw some records/cd's in the car incase they're needed. See some of you tonight.

Mahalo!

DC

Keeping the Torches burning Mahalos to those who made it on June 25. The nearly two dozen castaways for the evening made for a fun and rummy three hour tour.

For those of you lucky ducks who have Friday, July 3rd off, the long holiday weekend starts tonight! Hope to see you at the bar...

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-07-16 05:47 ]

A double recap for July 2 and July 9.
The July 2nd kick-off to the long holiday weekend proved to be a more popular Tiki night out than we expected. We had a great turnout. Before the night was over, it was standing room only at the bar and a full lounge spilling over into the dining room. Old friends recently back from Ohana Luau at the Lake and Hukilau and new friends in from Baltimore made it a great time.

July 9 was made special by our first "Drive-in" night. Mahalos to Peter who brought in some island themed B movies. With the sound off, watching turned into a hilarious Tiki version of Mystery Science Theater, with the dialog from the bar better than anything on the DVD.

Mahalos to the many regulars who keep our Tiki Thirstday torches burning.

And Endless Mahalos to both Chef Fu and Miss Ling who not only serve up great food and drink, but allow us the hospitality of House of Foong Lin for our weekly gatherings.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

July 16th Recap.
A challenge was made to see if we could make it past the magic number 25 by 9 pm, which, if we made it, we would have some extra door prize drawings that night. It went to the wire, but with a last minute party, we managed to clear 40! So we have a bunch of winners that night! Congratulations to Carol M, James M, Michael S, and Sue W. who have won Tiki Thirstday gift certificates good for putting a dent in their checks on their next visit!

Mahalos to the many regulars who show up and make it a party every week, and who share the Aloha Sprit with the newcomers that drift in to make everyone feel welcome.

And Endless Mahalos to both Chef Fu and Miss Ling who not only serve up great food and drink, but allow us the hospitality of House of Foong Lin for our weekly gatherings.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

A detour to Massachusetts kept me from last week's Tiki Thirstday.
(first one I've missed out of 69 Tiki Thirstday's so far)

I'll update this update when I find out more from last week's fill in host.

Please join us for our first "Blue Hawaii Night". For more info, please jump back to the FIRST post of this thread.

We'll be there...

August 13th - Blue Hawaii Night Recap
A great turnout made for a great evening. Miss Ling did a terrific job with the Blue Hawaii tiki drink special. For awhile there it looked like Smurf Nite in the Lounge for all the Blue Hawaiis on the tables.

Mahalos to the many regulars who show up and make it a party every week, and who share the Aloha Sprit with the newcomers that drift in to make everyone feel welcome.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

TRIVIA
Did you know that Don Ho did a cover of Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5WOAxu28C0
(Video is best enjoyed after several '34 Zombies)

August 20th Recap
The regulars held down the Hut this week, but what we lacked in attendance was made up for in the number of Mai Tais consumed :wink:

Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling for great food and drinks.
Their hospitality and encouragement to our merry band o' Tikiphiles is very much appreciated.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

DC

Our "Blue Hawaii Night" was such a howling success, that we are on the prowl for another excuse for a theme night. Any thoughts? Post them here or slip a note under my Mai Tai glass at one of our next Tiki Thirstdays :wink:

Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling for great food and drinks.
Their hospitality and encouragement to our merry band o' Tikiphiles is very much appreciated.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

September 3 Recap
The Thursday before a long holiday weekend is always tricky and last week was no exception. Though our numbers were fewer than usual, those who made it were many in spirit and Spirits!

As always, Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling for great food and drinks.

:tiki: :drink:** Tiki Pilgrimage to Philly ** :drink: :tiki:

I'm gathering interest in a day trip centered around a visit to "The Yachtsman," Philly's own (and only) Tiki Bar. A number of us Thirstdayers have made scouting trips to check out the vibe and the drinks, and I'm happy to report back that it is the real deal. Great drinks, both classics and some of their own originals, and great decor. Well worth the trip.

So it's time to start herding the cats and see who is interested and what date which will work the best. After I get a rough, but committed number, I'll contact Yachtsman to work out something special. Thanks to our previous visits, the General Manager has offered to crank up the Aloha for our group. I'm sure whatever he comes up with will not disappoint.

The Small Print
We're looking to pick a Saturday, sooner rather than later.
(October thru mid-November time range)

Bethesda to Philly can be done, without speeding tickets, in a little over 2 hours. (adjust for your address) So if you pace yourself well, it is an easy, and can be a responsible day trip (if you allow your driver to have a decent break from the drinks before leaving for home). We're shooting for a mid-afternoon stop at the Yachtsman, followed by picking a spot for dinner afterwards. (place TBD) Personally, I'm opting for the "double cheesesteak tour" - you arrive in time for a cheesesteak lunch, go to the Yachtsman for drinks, followed by a cheesesteak dinner.

Everyone will be responsible for their own transportation, but we will pick a time to meet up at the Yachtsman.
Kalaka (carpooling) is encouraged. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1-2iXQTmU8
Bus and train is possible for those so inclined.

To be very safe, if you'd like to add overnight accommodations, please contact me for some tips for an affordable hotel option. If you play your coconuts right, you should be able to get a decent room for under $100 nearby at a national brand hotel.

We'll green light this if we have at least 6 to 8 DC/MD/VA people going, and it would be great to meet up with any local Tikiphiles in the the area to add to the Ohana.

The Mai Tai is in your court...

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

For the date and details of the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

we may be interested depending on the final date. We've only got a day or two available over the next few months. Wishing everyone at Tiki Thirstday much mahalo from Allison and myself.

recommendation to all: seating is VERY limited.

the back room holds about 8 people?

the front has a seating area that holds about 5? and then tables that hold about 2 to 4?

point is, i have been used to tiki joints that can push tables together and accomodate parties of 8 to 16. that is not the case here.

enjoy! $$$$$$$$$

The lack of flexible seating is the reason we're shooting for a Saturday afternoon visit. Last time I was there in the mid-afternoon, we pretty much owned the place.

There have been several "I'm in" messages, but no one has suggested a date yet. If no specific date gets suggested, I'll throw a dart at the calendar next week and see how that works.

There are quite a few people expressing interest - depending on what date. So to firm things up maybe it's time to put a couple of dates on the table. October 10 is part of a holiday weekend (for some), so let's skip that. October 31st is Halloween, so that's a scratch.

How about October 17 or October 24?

Let's move further discussion of the Yachtsman visit to:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49824&forum=4&4

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-14 08:31 ]

It may be Fall by the calendar, but it'll still be in the 70s tonight!
So come on by to keep your spirits up with some of Miss Ling's spirits-added tropical vacations in a glass.

Looking for some "guest DJs". If you have a great Exotica playlist AND a portable player that has a mini-jack to hook up to the Lounge sound system, bring it along!

For more info on Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

DC

They say that "into each life a little rain must fall," well the weather forecast makes that true tonight, but after a couple of Miss Ling's tropical libations we promise you won't care so much. (After two ZOMBIES, you'll be saying "what rain?")

One of the bonuses of the coming fall weather is that soon the fireplace in the Lounge will be roaring and keeping you nice and toasty.

Hope to see you there,

Dr. Coruba

DC

A quick shout out to Scott and Jen who had the most incredible Tiki Estate sale (more about that in the Marketplace). There were bargains galore as they sold down the Moai Lounge decor and collection.

Mahalos to them both for their hospitality and their generosity in making so many fine items affordable. A lot of items found good homes and a fair amount of it may be on display soon in a yet-to-be-named new Tiki bar in DC.

We all wish them good mana for their move and hope they visit us at Tiki Thirstday on one of their visits back to Maryland/DC.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-10-05 13:53 ]

Special Thanks To The Tiki Thirstday Die-hards
One of the things I really enjoy about our Thirstdays, is the randomness of who is there on any given night. Almost every week, someone finds us for the first time, or some couple who have been coming to Thirstdays (but lurking in the dining room) introduce themselves and start joining us in the Lounge.

But what makes that possible are the *Merry Souls, the "regulars" who make Tiki Thirstday their weekly getaway. Their one-night-a-week mini vacation. Without Thirstdayers like David, Lisa, Peter, Dennis, Esther, John, Don, Bryan, Anne, and whichever Pearces happen to be in town :wink: , along with a bunch of semi-regulars who come at least a couple of times a month, this gathering would have run out of steam long ago. More than even great drinks and great food, it is the promise of Great Company - all of you, that make it a truly special night out and worth coming to week after week. Mahalos, to you all.

Endless Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling for their hospitality, great drinks and great food, and giving us a place to Tiki.

*Merry Souls,
from the inviting words of Trader Vic himself:
Dedicated to those Merry Souls
Who make drinking a pleasure.
Who achieve contentedness
Long before capacity.
And who, whenever they drink,
Prove able to carry it, enjoy it,
And remain ladies and gentlemen.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-10-22 05:50 ]

The Mai Tais are icy cold and wonderful...

DC

Tiki Thirstday Nov 5 • I Tai, You Tai, We All Scream for Mai Tai

First week of November and it's still in the 70s here in DC. Grab your Tiki wear, come on down and Mai Tai with us.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

Actually we got started again on February 18th! Sorry for not posting sooner, but after a 2 month holiday hiatus, I just got out of the habit.

The good news is that the Tiki torches are lit again, literally, at the House of Foong Lin which has been our host for our Tiki Thirstday meet up since 2014. Thanks to a generous donation by one of our Thirstday-ers (mahalo, Peter!), HoFL was give a really nice set of Tiki torches and special stands which Chef Fu now sets up and lights up out front of the restaurant on Tiki Thirstday nights. Along with the fireplace roaring inside on chilly nights, it makes for a nice addition to the ambiance of the evening. It is grand to see the regulars back and Miss Ling serving up Mai Tais and other exotic cocktails at the bar.

If you are in the Maryland/DC/Northern Virginia area, please drop by and join us.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

Congratulations to our most recent door prize winnahs!
Sue ($10), Sherill ($5), and Julie ($5). You may pick up your gift certificate on your next visit to Tiki Thirstday.

Aloha wear is not required on Tiki Thirstday, but stongly encouraged and rewarded. Whenever we have 25 or more people we will have a drawing for up to a $20 Tiki Thirstday Gift Certificate. (Everyone gets an entry on their first visit, but to keep qualifying, you have to be wearing/displaying some kind of Aloha - shirt, dress, lei or other jewelry)

See you on the 17th!

We've had snow AND 80 degree days this month. Wild weather, but never an excuse to miss a good Mai Tai and friends around the bar. This Thirstday the weather should be in the upper 60s, possibly low 70s.

Many mahalos to Chef Fu and to Miss Ling for the fun we had last week. Extra thanks to Miss Ling for mixing up the "O'Tiki", a special one night only green tiki cocktail in honor of the convergence of St. Patrick's Day and Tiki Thirstday.

Hope to see you there!

If doing your taxes has not already driven you to drink, let tonight's Tiki Thirstday be your excuse for putting down the abacus and join us for some Island Time.

Great Gathering Mahalos for the nearly 50 people who joined us last week for our 2nd Anniversary Night. Lots of fun and it was great to see the place jumpin'. Miss Ling was amazing keeping up with our Thirstdayers and Chef Fu was keeping the kitchen open late just for us. We couldn't have had a better time.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

DC

This Tiki Thirstday, May 12, we welcome special guests Kelly & Paul from the Mid-century Mod and Tiki themed webshow "Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en".
http://www.velveteenloungekitsch-en.com
They are coming to Washington, DC to video upcoming episodes of their show and have made Tiki Thirstday and House of Foong Lin their first stop. I'm sure this will be a busy night, so for those who have favorite spots, you might want to drop in early. If you can, please break out your Island wear and add to the Aloha atmosphere we'd like have for this special night.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

Endless Mahalos to Kelly and Paul from Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en for joining us on their DC Tiki Weekend on May 12. You can catch the episode here: https://www.facebook.com/VelveteenLoungeKitschen/videos/1199840086723413/ This fun video also features the recipe for one of House of Foong Lin's popular Tiki drinks, the Doctor Foo.

Coming in July, we are planning a special Tiki Thirstday visit to DC's newest Tiki bar - Archipelago.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

Apologies for letting the Tiki Thirstday thread go un-updated for the last month. Work took me away from my favorite Thursday Thirstday pastime and I did not manage to keep up.

June 30 National Mai Tai Day
from the inviting words of Trader Vic himself:

Dedicated to those Merry Souls
Who make drinking a pleasure.
Who achieve contentedness
Long before capacity.
And who, whenever they drink,
Prove able to carry it, enjoy it,
And remain ladies and gentlemen.

Please join us for a grand excuse to Mai Tai and to enjoy an evening of Tiki and Island Time. Tonight we will have Exotica on the sound system and episodes of classic Hawaii Five-O on the screen in the lounge.

Endless Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling for their hospitality, great drinks and great food, and giving us a place to Tiki.

For more details and the address of Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

DC's going to be broiling today, but you can Beat the Heat tonight with one of Miss Ling's classic Tiki drinks.

For more details and the address of Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

On July 21 it is the birthday eve of our own Chef Fu!
About Chef Fu and Birthdays - he loves to celebrate yours, but doesn't like to have too big a fuss made about his. What we like to do "for" his birthday, and is the best present we can give him, is to have an especially big turnout. Though the busier they get means that Chef Fu needs to be IN the kitchen that much more, he will appreciate the turnout and we will find a moment when he does come out to thank him for his special hospitality to us tiki folk over the past 2 1/2 years.

It is also the birthday eve-eve of one of our Thirstdayers from Baltimore, Lauren.
Coming in all the way from Baltimore, we don't get to see her often, but it is always a treat to have her with us when she can make it. For the past couple of years she's made it a point to come down to Bethesda to celebrate, and a whole bunch of us look forward to having her celebrate this year.

Mahalos to the many Tiki Thirstdayers who made it out for Chef Fu's Birthday last week. Though the busier it was meant that Chef Fu couldn't join us until much later in the evening, he was very happy for the turnout and the many, many well wishers.

This week, July 28, we have Hau`oli Lā Hānau - Part Deux! This time it is my birthday, and though so many of us were there last week, I hope after giving your livers a week long break you are up for another round of great Tiki drinks, great food, and great company.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

Tiki Thirstday Aug 11

Aloha, Greg! (for now)
Aloha is a Hawaiian word of greeting OR parting. This week we have a temporary goodbye with one of our Ohana, Greg. If you don't recognize him from his name (that's him on the right in the middle picture above). Greg is one of our very first Tiki Thirstdayers going all the way back to March 2014 and is easily in the top ten of our regulars in attendance. Greg and his wife Julie bought a condo in Florida last year and Greg has been bouncing back between the Mai-Kai and Tiki Thirstday ever since. Having seen his shadow last week at Tiki Thirstday, he has decided to head back down to Flor-ida for the next few months. Please join us this Thirstday, August 11 to hoist a Navy Grog or a Zombie with Greg and give him a Tiki Thirstday send off until he paddles back to our shores again around the holidays this December.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2016-08-18 10:11 ]

Mahalos to everyone who has made the time to enjoy our weekly Island Time gatherings this summer. Thanks in particular to our die hard regulars who keep the torches burning every week, we've had really great turnouts.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

DC

Miss Ling with Bryan

Chef Fu

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

Late September and the DC weather is still summerish warm, but at least the humidity isn't stifling. A good Mai Tai is still just the perfect remedy.

For info on tonight's Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Man, the Mai Tai '44s last Tiki Thirstday were especially great. We must have caught a lucky break on the limes.

Mahalos to those who came to enjoy the new tiki torches which burn brightly and add to the mood of the evening. Also mahalos to those regulars who made the extra effort to mingle and introduce themselves to new faces who were at our gathering. Your Aloha was greatly appreciated.

The December hiatus date has not been set yet, but this week places us nine or so Tiki Thirstdays before we say Aloha to 2016. If you have not been by in awhile, come on out. The weather is just starting to get mild and the Mai Tais and Exotica are just right.

For info on this week's Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Aloha,
Dt. Coruba

DC

Just 6 or so more Tiki Thirstdays before we take our Holiday Hiatus and start back up in January (date TBA soon).

Aloha,
Dt. Coruba

After tonight we will have just 3 more Tiki Thirstdays before we go on Holiday Hiatus. We'll be back in January, date to be determined.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2017-01-18 08:28 ]

Apologies for letting a little moss grow on this thread. We are just starting to meet up again after a holiday hiatus - we stopped just before Thanksgiving and our first Tiki Thirstday back was last week. Sorry for not posting here last week, but the Chef/owner of House of Foong Lin where we meet sprung last Thursday on us suddenly. Previously he suggested we might wait until February to light up the torches again. It was great to get started again and even with late notice, we had a nice turnout for the first Tiki Thirstday of 2017.

So, January 19 will be our 2nd Tiki Thirstday of 2017 as we begin our 4th year of our weekly Tiki gatherings. As always we will have $6 Mai Tai '44s (Mai Tais made from scratch "the old way") plus two other Tiki drinks from their expansive 20 drink Tiki drink menu on special for $6 too - an incredible bargain in the not-cheap-to-drink DC area. If you've never joined us, dive right in, the water and the Mai Tais are fine. If you haven't been in awhile, Aloha! We'll be glad to see ya!

Tiki shirts and Hawaiian theme dress is not necessary, but encouraged. Proven to make the evening more festive and make the drinks taste better!

For more info on this week's Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies