Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Kon Tiki Motel & Apts, Universal City, TX (motel)

Pages: 1 10 replies

F

Name:Kon Tiki Motel & Apts
Type:motel
Street:242 Aviation Blvd
City:Universal City
State:TX
Zip:78148
Phone:210-658-4646

Description:
Now being called Falcon Ridge Apts. According to Manta.com since 1990. Though an image from loopnet.com still shows it as Kon Tiki. The motel was built in 1969, though late still may have some promise for collectors items. The place does have that A frame feel.

No. Units:116
Building Size:61,900 SF
No. Stories:2
Lot Size:2.06 AC

There is another thread about a room key, and the hunt stopping with a phone call. When I called the number there was no answer... May have to make the trip south out of Austin to check it out.

Very cool. Can't wait to see what you find.

F

On 2014-08-21 07:42, Mockingbird wrote:
Very cool. Can't wait to see what you find.

Me neither... Could lead to nothing, but could leave to older Post Cards, Ash Trays, Matchbooks, maybe even a coffee mug.

The address at the top of this thread doesn't match what's on the postcard. The postcard's address appears to be correct.

350 E Aviation Blvd
Universal City, TX 78148-4500

These pictures are from GoogleMaps and are dated March 2013. If it's still in business, there sure aren't very many cars around.

F

On 2014-08-21 15:11, kenbo-jitsu wrote:
The address at the top of this thread doesn't match what's on the postcard. The postcard's address appears to be correct.

350 E Aviation Blvd
Universal City, TX 78148-4500

I noticed that too... I pulled that address from a site listing the property for sale. Hoping to go down there maybe this weekend. If not I have a few days of Leave coming up, and if anything can search the cities records. Would love to find more local Tiki.

I look forward to reading about your findings. If you go, please also check out the "Pebble Beach Village" apartments next door. It looks like it also has a A-frame entrance. I wonder if it to was originally Polynesian.

F

I had business today in San Antonio, and thought to pass by this property on the way back North to Austin. I get home this afternoon to receive a message from kenbo-jitsu asking had I had the chance to swing by yet. Apparently the Tiki Gods wanted an update!

Here is the first of several images. These were shot on the East side of the property.

F

Here are a few shots from the inside of a courtyard area...

Note the second A Frame of sorts. I was told that at some point this place was used as a Barracks for the near by airfield. Where the A frame sets its reported that General Officers stayed there as the are the only two bedroom properties on the place, as well as featuring a sunk in modern living area, as well the only central heating and air. Even to this day are the only place to have that. Unfortunately I have no inside images of this.

Also I was told by a long time resident that this building that now is being used for storage was a bar at one time. There was no one on the grounds that could get me inside, but the bar is still inside with even draft pulls in place. Really wanted to see in there!

This is the former Coffee Shop featured in the original PC listed in the thread. Side note, the Manager on site just happened to be going through old junk and found two of the same card, and gave me one that I will again include later. Anyhow... The Coffee shop now vacant is available, and they are hopping another food vendor of sorts will move in as the full kitchen is still intact.

More shots of the entry way from the inside the court area.

More images to follow from the property next door...

F

I saw no signage for the apartments next door... Though previously, and maybe still so named "Pebble Beach Village"

Here are the images from there next door to the West.

F

Here is a copy of the Post Card that the Manager on the property gave me that she recently found. At some point you can faintly read where someone wrote "Falcon Ridge" over the Kon-Tiki sign, and then blacked it out entirely. The ink is old and is lifting some... I hope to keep at it in order to read show the sign better.

Aloha, I am out... I hope I did right thus far with the info here. I'll post again if more ever comes of it.

Great post, Freeland. Thanks for doing all that. Sounds like you had fun.

Pages: 1 10 replies