Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Practice Makes Progress (Have A Great Day) Laz

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 511 replies

N

Hello Tiki Central I am getting a little crazy with my style of tiki it keeps morphing into diffrent things I came up with this funky tiki, with a light, I think i should start going backwards and do some regulat tikis,

I also finished this sail fish, made out of pine, thanks for looking practice makes progress have a nice day

T

that sail fish is really cool, laz. good luck on the video!

N

Thanks Big T.

I am working on a baby sea turtle in coral with a angel fish on the other side Thanks for looking. Practice makes progress have a nice day !

Dats kool bruddah

Hello Tiki Central Its been 7 months that I have posted. Wow time flies. Well Thanks to Tiki Central and its members
I have grown alot I have been carving Full time. and have had to focus on vital task. I got a store front on a busy street in Orlando and have been carving on site this main street and just drawing them in. Its been real hard because I have had to do all the work my self open set up carve and clean up. Carving in the Hot sun for 5 to 6 hours takes a toll , But a big Decor Companiy noticed me and I am now thier exclusive tiki artist , They have a contract with margarita ville and they also do decor for all theme parks around the world , go figure,
My first job was 2 8 x 24 cypress log .

They have a bid now for 19 10 feet cypress carvings and 2 8 feet carvings , I am sure it will go through.

Its just amazing how just being connected and being a student here on TC can change your life. so i guess i am going to post a few pictures . Thank you all for your support incoragement and tiki carving advise,

Practice makes progress have a nice day!

here is my new web site
http://www.niceworkbylaz.org

MY CYPRESS SUPPLY

Here are most of the carvings I have done since I started 17 months ago I got so busy that thier are alot of carvings that i did not even get a chance to take a picture

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1757721991110316.1073741839.100006175964637&type=1&l=631d748458

That's all great news.
Those cypress logs are the bomb.
Good job.
Doesn't get much better than that, Hu?

Congrats Laz that's great news brother!!

C
cy posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2016 8:15 AM

I've been wondering where you been Laz, thanks for posting!

Post up an address for your storefront. I will be in Orlando next week and might have time to stop by.

hello Tc Here are some carvings that I have done in the past 5 months , I couldnt have done it with out learning here on TC thank you so much!

[ Edited by: nicework 2016-08-19 10:24 ]

I sure like seeing you make out so good.
That's a pile of stuff right there.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Thanks Will!!!!!

Well its been two years since i went from carving Ice to carving palm and wood, I joined in september 15 2014
with no experence in tiki culture, being on TC was a great motivating factor to push my self to show the progress TC has been showing me.

Here are a few pictures that i have not posted from last month,

So this is whats going on I bought a hitch for my Van and spend $1000 on all supplies last week i picked up 30 5 foot sabal palms

So I am ready for action, I am just burnt out , but i have to carve because it is my full time Job
So i I come to tiki central again .

N

So the beutiful thing about living in Orlando is the construction that is being done on I4 , the construction that is going on, They are so nice they just up root beautiful palms and just lay them on the side for me to cut at 5 feet and take away, I am a community servent,

any how NEED HELP , I just landed a order yesterday for Margaritaville,

(19) foot poles 5 inch daiameter

so this will be my first attempt at small carvings on a long pole any suggestions would be wonderful i am charging a $100 a foot, so is that good i hope so.

[ Edited by: nicework 2016-09-20 04:46 ]

good job.
Advice?
Get busy.

Congrats on the Margaritaville order. Long and skinny - stretch all of the features. Fill in the blank space with patterns and easy detail. Price is right. Post Pics.

N

Thanks Will and aloha . My client love the sample. He pretty lets me carve my style, so he told me just switch up the fases as i wish and just keep on carving. I could of not got this far with out your support,

T

Wow, Laz, congratulations on all the great progress. You're new website looks great.

N

thanks big T I finished 7 9 foot tiki carvings for margaritta ville in Universal Hollywood , 12 more to go

[ Edited by: nicework 2016-10-25 14:55 ]

Nice job, those are sweet.
Good for you.

N

Thank you Will you have been one of the most supportive members of Tiki Central, I asked for help and i have always got a message from you, and others. Members have sent me designs for this carving job that seemed much more simpler, but from my experince i have learned do what you know,

I had a client give me a design that was so simple but when i did it it was so hard because i never did that design and i had to nail it, I gues the Maui head is the same, its a simple design but if not done right it does not look good.

I gues my style has always been BUSY , I guess that style of being busy work stems from i like to carve and if i carve the hell out of it it will distract the observer from all the imperfections,

So yes 4 faces on each pole is time consuming and comming up with diffrent styles of faces is quite challenging,
As a buisness man I am a fool, but as a artist i eveolve by pushing and challenging my self no matter what the cost,

I am burned out on this job way to much detail back and front, I guess that stems from my teacher when i started carving ice 25 years ago . He tought me never make the same thing twice, and always carve the back even if the people can not see it, Two practices that have pushed me to the artist i am today, I have never been a great artist
The great about me is that i love carving and it may look awesome to some

I have incorparated some of Aloha texas faces on these poles, which i like is simple style, A great chef use to tell me keep it simple stupid, some thing that i have had truoble doing my whole art career. This job is pushing me to start and practice some simple designs, because i have 48 more faces to carve,

The poles are treated poles made of pine. and the wood is hard, I have been playing with difrent bits , the carving wheel is super nice for making lines and the Saburr Tooth bits , extra course have always been a friend of mine even in my Ice days, So i guess thats it , I guess i just have to just keep on carving,

Practice makes Progress! Have a NICE DAY!

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2016 8:06 AM

Those poles are looking super Laz!

N

Hello Tiki Central, Wow its Been 2 years 10 months since my Last post, I came on to tiki central 9\2014 is it really going to be 5 years, I have been carving ever since, full time . I have carved so many different carvings, split up with my x moved into a gallery got married and im having a baby in November . and I did all that carving full time. its been very scary and crazy carving full time , youy never know where the next carving is going I to be sold , so I have to carve them quick and sell them fast, its tuff , I get artist block and really don't feel like carving but I must. I tell the community I carve so you don't have to and because I love them, i Carved 30 carvings last month I don't know I just feel like I need to get better in all areas especially in tiki style and culture so I here for guidiance again looking forward to be a little more active on here thanks

N

Hello Tiki Central, Wow its Been 2 years 10 months since my Last post, I came on to tiki central 9\2014 is it really going to be 5 years, I have been carving ever since, full time . I have carved so many different carvings, split up with my x moved into a gallery got married and im having a baby in November . and I did all that carving full time. its been very scary and crazy carving full time , youy never know where the next carving is going I to be sold , so I have to carve them quick and sell them fast, its tuff , I get artist block and really don't feel like carving but I must. I tell the community I carve so you don't have to and because I love them, i Carved 30 carvings last month I don't know I just feel like I need to get better in all areas especially in tiki style and culture so I here for guidiance again looking forward to be a little more active on here thanks

Wow
Awesome
Love that last one
Killer

WC

Laz who?
Oh yes.
You could post more often, you know.
We miss your great stuff.
Thank you.
Keep us posted.
We are still here.

N

Thanks Will Thanks Hang10

Well I was playing with this carving I some times paint tikis my wife suggested I make a crying tiki instead of saying that sounds stupid , I just said yes dear, Any involvement she has in my carvings and busniness I think its a good idea to incourage.

I am moving out of my Art Gallery because I need a bigger place now when I moved in I thought it would be like a store but it ended up being a place to carve most of my sells are on line , So im moving into a carvers paradise . which is a yard waste facility with tons of palms cypress and other wood free for the Taking, looking forward to take pictures of it later

H

Nice.

N

Thamks HilTiki

Im still un motivated to carve, I have been carving full time for four years I think im just burnt out . do any of you guys get burnt out. Carving with out drive or desire is the worst feeling, Im thinking about getting a job, lol

maybe its all the pressure im under. having a kid and moving and being the main income may just be robbing me of my energy

any how sounds like im wineing I did manage to carve some thing yesterday, A koi fish , And I did get a chance to take piuctures of my new carving area and location thought I would post that. Have a nice day

WC

Outstanding carve.
How can you get tired of carving stuff like that.
You make me wana carve.
Nice digs too.
Inspiring in it's self.

T

Great to see you back Laz. Good stuff! Are you on instgram or anything like that yet?

Fantastic work, Laz. Your painted sea life sculpts are outstanding, and the creativity and progress you've shown in your traditional tiki carves are impressive. I think you've found that sweet spot between "pop" and "traditional" and made it your own. The new digs look just about perfect for your art. Please keep posting!

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 19, 2019 8:56 PM

Great to see you back Laz!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 511 replies